Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
*TMo*

2020 Starting Left Offensive Guard

Just looking for predictions of who that might be? Give me a name of a prediction and/or best guess? Will it be someone on the roster now are someone new?

Most likely someone (Jamon Brown) currently on the roster. I don’t see the FO going out and trying to sign another veteran after last offseason plus hopefully re-signing Hoop, Clayborn, and Davison. I’d expect a 4th, 5th, or 6th rounder on the LG, Shane Lemieux, from Oregon, LSU’s center Lloyd Cushenberry, or one of the UGA guys as young depth behind Jamon Brown.

Then again, the current regime knows the heat is on them, and so they may rework some contracts to upgrade LG via free agency.

Honestly, I don't hate Jamon Brown. At 7 mil next year I'm not a fan, but that's just TD being an idiot. Another year in the system and I think he can be alright at LG. Definitely have open competition though...if we keep Mack/extend him, I'd love to pick up Matt Hennessy late, have him and Schweitzer compete as his heir apparent, and also compete for the LG spot with Gono.

Our OL really doesn't need much investment at this point.

If it was up to me and Tristan Wirfs from Iowa somehow fell to us it would be him. He is a stud. Played Right Tackle at Iowa. I would move him to LG and be set at the position for the next 10 years plus. Also there have been concerns about McGary’s speed playing RT. Wirfs is excellent there as well so you could slide McGary inside if that was a better fit. 

Atlanta needs to stop playing around with these clowns and set this offensive line for good. Give Ryan what he needs to finish out his career the best he possibly can. 

31 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Honestly, I don't hate Jamon Brown. At 7 mil next year I'm not a fan, but that's just TD being an idiot. Another year in the system and I think he can be alright at LG. Definitely have open competition though...if we keep Mack/extend him, I'd love to pick up Matt Hennessy late, have him and Schweitzer compete as his heir apparent, and also compete for the LG spot with Gono.

Our OL really doesn't need much investment at this point.

17 minutes ago, RYNE said:

If it was up to me and Tristan Wirfs from Iowa somehow fell to us it would be him. He is a stud. Played Right Tackle at Iowa. I would move him to LG and be set at the position for the next 10 years plus. Also there have been concerns about McGary’s speed playing RT. Wirfs is excellent there as well so you could slide McGary inside if that was a better fit. 

Atlanta needs to stop playing around with these clowns and set this offensive line for good. Give Ryan what he needs to finish out his career the best he possibly can. 

TD has definitely tried to buy protection for Ryan

One thing I’m not doing is asking a player whose specifically right or left sided and then becomes a pro and ask him to play thee opposite side against bigger stronger faster opponents.

You want to talk fail this is it.

I don’t know where a lot get this thought process from but just no.

5 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

At some point the group has to gel. Especially in this system

@falconsd56

Yup.

It is one of those underrated aspects that people often forget.

How many games in a row did we have the same starting 5?? Maybe 3 and that is being generous

We had some different combination of the line pretty much every game and throw in everyone (backs, receivers, tight ends etc) learning a new system and then throw in a heavy dose of inexperience on the right side and the recipe for disaster was there.

The hope is that another year in the system will help.

I think Brown, Gono, a draft pick and possibly a mid range FA will be battling for LG.

7 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think they will. 4 pro bowl caliber players imo. Lindstrom and McGrary should be really good this year.

Tbh Mack is not at the probowl level anymore.

He still a good solid center but he is not the type that can help cover up a deficiency on either side of him like he was able to as a brown and his first year or 2 here.

56 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Tbh Mack is not at the probowl level anymore.

He still a good solid center but he is not the type that can help cover up a deficiency on either side of him like he was able to as a brown and his first year or 2 here.

I think all of them will be better next year even Carpenter and Brown if they come back. Better chemistry.

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think all of them will be better next year even Carpenter and Brown if they come back. Better chemistry.

I think it will help.

Better chemistry and  hopeful improvement   with the young guys on the right will hopefully make a substantial difference.

Chemistry or not... guys gotta do better.