Jalen Hurts could be the quarterback of the future for the Atlanta Falcons 

Flying Falcon

12 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Rather have it from the jump.

Thats an issue in my eyes trying to teach something they should already have in there tool bag from the jump.

The learning process is steep enough as it is.

I get that but how can someone learn to do something when it's not being taught at the high school and college levels anymore? Also, it's not a hard thing to learn. Drew Lock made the adjustment just fine.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I get that but how can someone learn to do something when it's not being taught at the high school and college levels anymore? Also, it's not a hard thing to learn. Drew Lock made the adjustment just fine.

Learning 3,5,7 step drops and digesting a new offense for the most part is a fail for the most part.

College is the issue these QBs for the most part aren’t ready for the speed and what I tailed at the next level.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Learning 3,5,7 step drops and digesting a new offense for the most part is a fail for the most part.

College is the issue these QBs for the most part aren’t ready for the speed and what I tailed at the next level.

That's why you've got to work these kids in slowly. Even Matt Ryan got worked in slowly and he already had all the basic fundamentals. You can't throw a rookie QB in there and throw the whole offense at him. You got to give him the basic bare bones and then slowly build on top of that. The majority of the reason QBs bust are two fold IMO. First is they're normally on a bad team that doesn't have enough good pieces around them. Secondly the coaching staff puts too much on their shoulders too quickly. The Falcons did the right thing with Ryan to ensure he wouldn't bust and we've reaped the benefits of it for the last 12 years.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

I get you, but I think that issue is moreso because guys are expected to start right away. Guys who sit a year and learn - Mahomes, for example - pick it up just fine. And that's what we'd be doing with a guy sitting behind Ryan.

39 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I get you, but I think that issue is moreso because guys are expected to start right away. Guys who sit a year and learn - Mahomes, for example - pick it up just fine. And that's what we'd be doing with a guy sitting behind Ryan.

Coaching and system are important.

Andy Reid is a well reknown for this.

This is thee biggest issue for success and failure in this league.You imagine the mentioned with the wrong coach.For every Mahomes there’s and RG3 and a Kapernick.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

That's why you've got to work these kids in slowly. Even Matt Ryan got worked in slowly and he already had all the basic fundamentals. You can't throw a rookie QB in there and throw the whole offense at him. You got to give him the basic bare bones and then slowly build on top of that. The majority of the reason QBs bust are two fold IMO. First is they're normally on a bad team that doesn't have enough good pieces around them. Secondly the coaching staff puts too much on their shoulders too quickly. The Falcons did the right thing with Ryan to ensure he wouldn't bust and we've reaped the benefits of it for the last 12 years.

Agree with some of this.

Biggest thing to me is surrounding him with a good running game and protect him.

Thing is expectations are to high and these guys if not put with the right guy fail more times than not will fail and don’t become anything.

Its why these mobile well a lot of them are 1 2 progression types and then there off.They revert back to what they no.Its why I’m a big start under centre get the step progression and the timing of passing down.Add in the shotgun rpo options later on.Alas the amount of QBs that have played most of there college careers in the gun basically force a coaches hand and have to adapt to fit.

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Agree with some of this.

Biggest thing to me is surrounding him with a good running game and protect him.

Thing is expectations are to high and these guys if not put with the right guy fail more times than not will fail and don’t become anything.

Its why these mobile well a lot of them are 1 2 progression types and then there off.They revert back to what they no.Its why I’m a big start under centre get the step progression and the timing of passing down.Add in the shotgun rpo options later on.Alas the amount of QBs that have played most of there college careers in the gun basically force a coaches hand and have to adapt to fit.

The NFL right now is more like college than it's ever been. But the problem with "find me a guy who starts under center" is that you severely limit your options. In fact, the only top rated QB in the NFL this year that I can think of right off the top of my head that is coming from a "under center" system is Jake Fromm. Justin Herbert, Tau, ect. and the rest are all coming from shotgun based offenses. That's just the way things are now days. The good coaches are those that adapt to the players they have like Nick Saban. I never thought Saban would go to a shotgun based spread offense but he did because its what he needed to do to stay ahead of the game on the recruiting trail to get guys like Hurts and Tua and play to their strengths. It's why we're slowly seeing that progress to the NFL with the hiring of guys like Kliff Kingsbury and now Graham Harrell. Guys who are bringing that college game to the NFL.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Coaching and system are important.

Andy Reid is a well reknown for this.

This is thee biggest issue for success and failure in this league.You imagine the mentioned with the wrong coach.For every Mahomes there’s and RG3 and a Kapernick.

I get the impression you're thinking I'm talking about a running QB, but I'm not. RG3 was great before taking so many hits and Kaep went out because of all the kneeling stuff - he had a decent run too. Anyways, getting off track...I'm just saying shotgun QBs can work in the NFL if they don't have to start right away.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:41 PM, Spts1 said:

The Saints might draft him.  Sean Payton has had no problem signing or drafting quarterbacks that he can develop behind Brees.  It would  be a good fit for them...

Taysom Hill was a straight up beast against the Vikings. They couldn't stop him. They also have Bridgewater.......so, if Brees goes away, I'm not seeing Jalen Hurts being #3 in development behind Brees.

On 1/17/2020 at 8:53 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

Hurts is...not great. I don't see what he offers over Danny Etling tbh.

Not that I don't want us drafting someone to develop under Ryan. He just ain't it. I kinda like Sam Ehlinger next year. Projected in the 2nd or 3rd.

LOL....  I live in Austin.  You do not want Sam Ehlinger on this team.The 2020 version of Tim Tebow...