Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goober Pyle

Biggest differences between Falcons and playoff teams should be obvious

But we have what those other teams all lack.  Continuity.  The continuation of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.  Something that has not happened yet.   In fact an argument could be made that the opposite has happened.  Things have turned for worse.  Playing for half a season is not a good football team.  If you want to split hairs we also tanked the preseason.  And what I said was going to happen actually happened.   Quinn took 4 or more games in regular season to figure out how to win a game.  When the dust settled we were 1-7.  Also Quinn is constantly out coached.  Maybe he caught my rant telling him he should spend more time studying the coaches he is playing against.  They play Quinn like a fiddle. :munch:

Edited by Realsurfin

Where AB is lacking is giving Quinn the benefit of the doubt.  Quinn is no great strategist.  Middling at best.  He still has not acquired the skillset to out call the opposing coaches.  AB in keeping him,  shows he has not acknowledged that fact.  

Boggles my mind that someone pays him to write this.

My 14 year old son (playing football since age 4) can summarize the above..

Our writers are trash

When you have a defensive line that can stop other teams you can run more. Funny how that works.

It all starts in the trenches and always has.

There are only 3 or 4 non-lineman on this roster I would go out if my way to keep. I say start in the trenches and do what you can everywhere else.

On 1/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, Goober Pyle said:

Sacks: The Falcons’ defense finished with 28 sacks, which ranked 30th. The last time they had a double-digit sack guy (Vic Beasley, 2016), they made it to the Super Bowl. The previous time they had a double-digit sack guy (John Abraham, 2012), they made it to the NFC title game.

After all these years I get it now why I want pass rushers EVERY year. We’ve had two guys log double digit sacks for us... TWO! 

A whole decade and we’ve only seen three seasons of 10 sacks or more production. And that might not be so bad if we could piece together two 7 or 8 sack guys, but can’t go that either.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, kiwifalcon said:

Missing the point as per.

It has bugger all to do who there drafting it’s maximising the talent they do have.This is the issue.

For example we draft first round Olineman have a line loaded with higher tier drafted and FA talent yet our coaches can’t seem to bring this talent together,like thats going on with this team across the board.Thats the issue regardless of what you draft coaches have to coach to me that’s where the whatever comes into play.

Until these coaches workout the best useage we could be at the top of the draft picking the best players it still wouldn’t matter.You can see it teams that always pick at the top of the draft.They get first go at the best talent coming out but yet still have the same issue.Falcons are on this slippery slope.Theres plenty of talent in the building and they’ve proven it but can’t put it together consistently this is all about coaching.

May be NEW UNIFORMS is the answer to all this....they absolutely nailed it this offseason!

Lmao!!! 

On 1/18/2020 at 0:18 PM, mattyicefalcon said:

Keep Embracing the suck till Dan Quinn is head coach.

Again in drafts they will draft undersized, overrated players and deliver mediocrity at best.

The suck has been firmly embraced by AB

Biggest Difference Between Falcons & Remaining Playoff Teams?

If this were final Jeopardy, Blank, TD & Quinn would be helpless.  But not us. The answer is crystal clear and I would wager every dime the answer is:

What is Dirk Koetter.

12 hours ago, Rings said:

Last 4 Teams in Defensive DVOA

San Fran - 2nd
KC - 14th
GB - 15th
Tennessee - 16th

It's San Fran and then three mediocre defenses.

This is where stats can be misleading. As someone who watched titans, I will say their defense was hardly mediocre. Their D was sneaky good all year. 

I suspect GB’s defense was a lot better than their stats indicated as well. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2019/12/26/rise-of-the-defense-leads-the-green-bay-packers-resurgenece/amp/

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

This is where stats can be misleading. As someone who watched titans, I will say their defense was hardly mediocre. Their D was sneaky good all year. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2019/12/26/rise-of-the-defense-leads-the-green-bay-packers-resurgenece/amp/

In 13 of 17 games the Titans held their opponent to 20 points or less.  I’ll take that kind of mediocre

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Their run defense was suspect all year. 49ers made them pay.

It really was that simple.

When you can run the ball you can limit exposure to your defense; Packers and Titans did just that until exposed for what they were all year(one a poor run defense and the other a poor pass defense).

If anything, Packers Defense was more average than they were good. “PPG metrics” because of a run game and making teams throw...their strength as a defense.

DVOA is way better than pure stat totals/averages alone.

Edited by Schwarzwald

18 hours ago, Rings said:

Last 4 Teams in Defensive DVOA

San Fran - 2nd
KC - 14th
GB - 15th
Tennessee - 16th

It's San Fran and then three mediocre defenses.

Unfortunately, our D was not even mediocre. If they had been all season, we might have made the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

Unfortunately, our D was not even mediocre. If they had been all season, we might have made the playoffs.

With regards to DVOA, even with how poorly we were early, we still finished just 5 spots behind KC, 4 spots behind GB & 3 spots behind Tenn

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

With regards to DVOA, even with how poorly we were early, we still finished just 5 spots behind KC, 4 spots behind GB & 3 spots behind Tenn

I'd like to say that bodes well for next season if we can play with balance and consistency all year. Not just when facing mostly division foes with which we are familiar. But I've been bit in the butt too many times by the "run that back" spurts we seem to always have at the end of seasons.

If we ever managed to start off a year we'll, our chances would be great because we always improve at the end. That was the case in 16 as well as the last couple of years. For all his faults, Quinn isn't afraid to admit his mistakes and do what it takes to right the ship. It's just too bad one if his worst faults is getting us right at the start of the year.

40 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Top 8 in ppg and ypg...#1 3rd down defense and #3 in forcing TO’s since Week 7

Definitely bought Dan another year off that. Got Morris the DC job. Well earned.

If the new defensive roster to come doesn’t suffer any massive drop off on the field..and the coaching on offense steps up consistently week to week; we have a great shot to go far next year.

Defense will be hard pressed to duplicate that is only reason I’m counting on the offense to do more, but we’ll see if roster winds up better for defense in the end...TBD on offense improving year 2.

Dan says run game wasn’t there. We can say the right thing and try to shift personnel, but without the kind of coaching for what we tried running this year?? It was flash in pan vs Legit terrible run D; CAR game 2 and JAX...and it was shut down still vs the best run run defense in the league in TB, but I supposed that is to be expected...

Edited by Schwarzwald