Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

2020 Draft prospects

173 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If we are being honest, what position are we going to spend a top five pick up on? Trae Young, Cam Reddish, Hunter, Collins & now Capella. Those are five young starters.   

I’m not sure Anthony Edwards offers much that Cam doesn’t.  He Is more explosive and can ultimately be the more dynamic player. But as of now he relies too heavily on a very average outside shot. He needs a coach who teaches him to get to the rim and get fouls.  If we did end up with Antman, I suspect Hunter or Huerter is the odd man out and moved.  Just too much young talent on the wing

This is my worry about the draft. Everyone we could pick is a project and none have generational/ change a franchise type talent. They are all guys who could become good starters after a few years of development. 

I just don't see why we would give that time to them over Reddish, Hunter, and Huerter. Clearly Schlenk believes that hunter is more than a 3 and D Guy given what we gave up to get him. And it isn't like he is terrible. He is still our second best defender and has shot well from the field. Just needs to improve his 3pt shooting. If he could combine his 3pt shooting from November and 2pt shooting from last month, he would be a near 50/40 guy. Reddish' growth has been great and is now our best defender and shot above 400 from three  

Plus if we want any change of courting a max contract guy next offseason, we are going to have to at least be a playoff caliber team. Giannis isn't coming here if we cannot even make the playoffs. So sacrificing wins for their development like we did with Reddish this season is out of the question. 

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

This is my worry about the draft. Everyone we could pick is a project and none have generational/ change a franchise type talent. They are all guys who could become good starters after a few years of development. 

I just don't see why we would give that time to them over Reddish, Hunter, and Huerter. Clearly Schlenk believes that hunter is more than a 3 and D Guy given what we gave up to get him. And it isn't like he is terrible. He is still our second best defender and has shot well from the field. Just needs to improve his 3pt shooting. If he could combine his 3pt shooting from November and 2pt shooting from last month, he would be a near 50/40 guy. Reddish' growth has been great and is now our best defender and shot above 400 from three  

Plus if we want any change of courting a max contract guy next offseason, we are going to have to at least be a playoff caliber team. Giannis isn't coming here if we cannot even make the playoffs. So sacrificing wins for their development like we did with Reddish this season is out of the question. 

Great post.

So if we bring on a max contract player, do we trade  a player like Collins?

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Great post.

So if we bring on a max contract player, do we trade  a player like Collins?

If we are talking  Giannis, then I don't think so. I think Collins is good enough at spacing the floor that it won't be that big of an issue. Giannis would be our Center since he goes up against. Guys like Embiid anyways. 

The only reason to trade Collins if another max guy comes is if they cannot coexist or that Ressler doesn't want to pay a luxury tax. 

I don't think the LT will be that big of an issue, since if we are winning chips, the local celebs will make Hawks games a go to destination. Before their collapse, I read an article that stated Golden state could still come out ahead as a franchise even with the luxury tax bill. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

This has nothing to do with how bad Trae has been defensively. 

Do you think he's the only 5'11" or 6' guard in the league?  There are plenty.  Some of it is attitude and other points are what I listed above.  If you don't think Trae can guard AT ALL then we will never win a title with the current defense he's playing.  Either that or we need to switch to a zone.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:26 AM, blkbigdog35 said:

It’s been pretty interesting as I have looked at multiple sites who have mock drafts and two common names have been linked to the Hawks which are Antman and Wiseman.  Now since we have added Capela and Dedmon I doubt Wiseman would be the pick.  However these are the five young men I’m consistently seeing in the top 5 where the Hawks are likely to pick.
Anthony Edwards G, LaMelo Ball G, James Wiseman C, Obi Toppin PF, and Jaden McDaniel PF.

On 2/6/2020 at 8:22 AM, jayu70 said:

I'm not advocating we select Wiseman, but why not if TS views him as BPA?

Big men in general take longer to develop, we can afford to take a patient approach.

I see Dedmon as a 1 year deal for next season. So Wiseman can learn a thing or two.

What if the Capela/Collins duo doesn't mesh? We can always trade Capela after next season, if Wiseman is ready to take the reigns. (I'm just spitballing of course).

I'm just saying I wouldn't automatically discount Wiseman due to Capela and Dedmon.

That's how I feel. If we're actually in a position to draft him and if we think he's the best player (I have no idea about either), you draft him. Capela shouldn't be a hindrance to that for a couple reasons. First, because Wiseman would likely take time to develop. Second, because Capela's contract is imminently reasonable and thus trade-able if it turned out Wiseman was ready sooner-than-later to take over. Dedmon shouldn't in any way factor into any of this, as he's a backup and we're really only into him for next year, given his buyout clause for 2021-2022 (which also makes him very trade-able).

Collect the best talent, period.

blkbigdog35 likes this

1 hour ago, red2play said:

Do you think he's the only 5'11" or 6' guard in the league?  There are plenty.  Some of it is attitude and other points are what I listed above.  If you don't think Trae can guard AT ALL then we will never win a title with the current defense he's playing.  Either that or we need to switch to a zone.

He's 6-1, and plenty of contending teams have built around sub-par (even very sub-par) defenders who are maximum offensive threats. We have to build an average to above-average team defense, and he can be a part of that even if he only elevates to being a below average or even bad defender (right now he's atrocious).

43 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

That's how I feel. If we're actually in a position to draft him and if we think he's the best player (I have no idea about either), you draft him. Capela shouldn't be a hindrance to that for a couple reasons. First, because Wiseman would likely take time to develop. Second, because Capela's contract is imminently reasonable and thus trade-able if it turned out Wiseman was ready sooner-than-later to take over. Dedmon shouldn't in any way factor into any of this, as he's a backup and we're really only into him for next year, given his buyout clause for 2021-2022 (which also makes him very trade-able).

Collect the best talent, period.

Great points!

Scouting report on LaMelo Ball from NBA draft net:

NBA Comparison: Penny Hardaway

Strengths: 6’6 point guard … Good size and length, especially for position … Can shoot off the catch or dribble. Shoots it well from deep and has good arc on shot, most of his makes find the bottom of the net. Hits shots from the NBA 3PT line and is a threat to score from literally anywhere in the half court. His jump shot keeps the defense tense and they must guard him tight away from the basket. Good free throw shooter … Gets to the rim off the dribble, using an effective crossover. Good variety and craft as a finisher. Finishes very well in the paint and in traffic, uses glass when appropriate. Good touch on floater … Good ambidexterity, doesn’t hesitate to use either hand dribbling, passing, or finishing. Creative playing style. Very good ballhandler. Creates for himself and others naturally … High basketball IQ. Tremendous instincts, read and reacts, never hesitates or second guesses himself. Supreme self-confidence. Finds the open man when the help defense comes. Tremendous court vision, passing, and playmaking ability, top of his class. Always knows where all four teammates are. Hits teammates in stride and when they’re in position to score. Can run the pick and roll/pop. Throws accurate outlet passes. Pushes the ball after rebounds, steals, and every other opportunity. Thrives in an up-tempo style but can also play in the half court … Good defender when committed both on and off the ball. Has a nose for the ball, gets clean steals when going for double teams. Good anticipation, jumps passing lanes very well to start instant offense. High steal count … Smooth. Quick hands and light on his feet. Good body control as a ballhandler and in the air. Changes speed and direction very well with the ball … Unselfish. Impacts the game without scoring, isn’t ineffective playing alongside other scorers, and compliments the talent around him. Sometimes he’s quick with the trigger but never forces his scoring or hunts for his shots. He tends to add points in bunches as needed or they accumulate as the game progresses … Rebounds very well on both ends for position … A triple-double threat in high school and impacts the game in multiple statistical categories … Nonchalant demeanor, doesn’t rattled under pressure … Has a lot of experience competing against grown men. Younger for his class, will turn 18 in August after high school. A full year younger than quite a few players who played in the high school all-star circuits. In one case, two full years younger …

Weaknesses: Smooth but not an incredibly explosive athlete. Doesn’t get much pop off two feet or in half court situations, especially compared to other guards in his class … Set point on shot is a bit low and he tends to fade a bit at times. Shot selection can improve, he’s a threat to score from anywhere but sometimes pulls up for deep and contested shots that aren’t necessary … Thrives in a fast-paced game, with that can come loose play and high turnovers … Skinny, lacks strength in both the upper and lower body … Can get more action off the ball, tends to drift at times. Roams defensively at times as well, gambling and looking for runout opportunities …

Outlook: Younger brother of Lonzo Ball … High school career has been a wild ride: from Chino Hills, Lithuania, JBA League, Spire Institute, to the NBL … Has had a lifestyle unlike any other player his age, already a household name with his own TV show and signature sneaker … Freshman on the 2016 undefeated Chino Hills team … Scored 92 points in a game as a high school sophomore … 2019 MVP of The Grind Session and led Spire Institute to the championship game …

Evan Tomes 8/3/19

Notes: On 6/17/19 committed to play for the Illawarra Hawks in Australia’s NBL … Potentially eligible for the 2020 NBA Draft … Younger brother of Lonzo Ball of the New Orleans Pelicans …

Like I said, Ball.  Huerter is a backup as his lack of lateral quickness and foot speed (poor defender).  Reddish can be special and he can play the 2 or the 3 with excellent defense.  Who knows if Reddish will develop into a quality player, he's more of a project than a bon-a-fide known star?  DeAndre Hunter is the real deal.  I have season tickets and he looks just as tall Paul George and he plays.

So let's say we get Lamelo ball (AGAIN he's BARELY 19, was incorrect about the 18)  In comparison Cam Reddish was born on September 1, 1999 and Lamelo Aug 22, 2001. He's TWO YEARS YOUNGER than our recent draft pick and he's STILL Growing.  Here's my vision of the first yr starting lineup

Young, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, Capela

backups 

Lamelo, Huerter, Brembry, Skal Labissiere, Bruno Fernando/Dedmon whoever does better.

2nd yr

Young, Lamelo, Hunter/Reddish (whoever is better) Collins, Capela

Then after 3 or 4 min

Young, Reddish/Hunter (rotate to the lessor in for both SG and SF), Collins, Capella

Then 4 mins later

Lamelo, Huerter, Brembry, Skal, Bruno Fernando/Dedmon whoever does better

Then you can rotate each quarter or final minutes how you see fit but the minutes can be staggered.  They do it with the Clippers ALOT with Lou Williams.

This will spell Trae AND Lamelo Can you imagine Trae, Lamelo, Reddish, Hunter, Huerter, Collins, Capella and possibly a few more?  Probably need another PF but Bruno might be able to fill that position.  I Personally LOVE Jaren Jackson Jr. and/or Aminu and would trade some pieces, none of the above though to get him.

gtech1, tl;dr and Macknsweetjones like this

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Lamelo averaged 25% from 3 in the NBL. No thank you. Knicks can have him. 

He lacks the athleticism to dominate in the NBA and the form on his jumpshot needs to be adjusted.  Less from the hip to get a quicker release.  Ball is a scoring PG who struggles on defense and shoots 25% beyond the arc.  

I’ll take Edwards over Ball every single time.  Like Hardin, Edwards game will need some fine tuning before it’s ready to dominate.  But watch out if he figures things out

On 2/8/2020 at 11:31 AM, GEORGIAfan said:

Lamelo averaged 25% from 3 in the NBL. No thank you. Knicks can have him. 

Yeesh. Didn't realize it was that bad. I had heard he was struggling a bit, but didn't realize it was that bad 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:33 AM, tl;dr said:

I would be fine with Ball. 

Wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

Looks like goal is to get one last crack at Top 3 pick, and from looks of it they want Ant-man. Probably said it already, but everyone saying this draft is garbage it's been 20 years since an extremely bad draft happened.

Edited by GhostofZone#7

37 minutes ago, GhostofZone#7 said:

Looks like goal is to get one last crack at Top 3 pick, and from looks of it they want Ant-man. Probably said it already, but everyone saying this draft is garbage it's been 20 years since an extremely bad draft happened.

I don’t think the draft is garbage and there are some guys that can be good but I’m not seeing many guys that have that wow factor! However Ant-man and James Wiseman are still my targets.

3 hours ago, GhostofZone#7 said:

It is garbage. But only because there are so few with potential quality longevity while there are so many who look like their apex is just average at best.

I mean, for instance, the #3-10 guys aren’t in the same realm as Young, Hunter, and Reddish, and will never come close to reaching the ceilings and potential of our 3 players, and yet we got them at 5, 4, and 10.

And as far as I can see, there is only 1 potential gem shooter, 3-and-d, and John Collins type later in the draft, but that’s about its only redeeming quality aside from the top-2 picks.

So unless you got top-2, or get one of those select later guys who are projects you have time to develop, you’re probably going to end up with an average at best player.

GEORGIAfan likes this

After seeing Lamelo Ball's low FG% I'd just go with Wisemann.  I'd then ship Capela back to the west for picks.  I wonder if we could trade Capela for Jarren Jackson Jr. and move Collins to the 3.  I realize that's a dream scenario but I can dream right?

1 hour ago, red2play said:

After seeing Lamelo Ball's low FG% I'd just go with Wisemann.  I'd then ship Capela back to the west for picks.  I wonder if we could trade Capela for Jarren Jackson Jr. and move Collins to the 3.  I realize that's a dream scenario but I can dream right?

Collins at the 3??? He can hardly guard 4s.

1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

Collins at the 3??? He can hardly guard 4s.

Well, its better than seeing him getting bulldozed and bullyball'ed by real PF's.  Either that or we need to trade him but having him, Huerter, Trae and Jones just hurts the eyes.  I LOVE Hunter AND Reddish.  If we add Wiseman and have lineups like Trae, Hunter, Reddish, Dedmon, Capella and for the backup, Teague, Huerter, Collins, Fernando and Wiseman (for the 1st yr).  2nd yr forward we could have Trae, Hunter, Reddish, Dedmon, Wiseman and then Teague, Huerter, [insert wing here], Collins, Fernando.

10 hours ago, Beef said:

It is garbage. But only because there are so few with potential quality longevity while there are so many who look like their apex is just average at best.

I mean, for instance, the #3-10 guys aren’t in the same realm as Young, Hunter, and Reddish, and will never come close to reaching the ceilings and potential of our 3 players, and yet we got them at 5, 4, and 10.

And as far as I can see, there is only 1 potential gem shooter, 3-and-d, and John Collins type later in the draft, but that’s about its only redeeming quality aside from the top-2 picks.

So unless you got top-2, or get one of those select later guys who are projects you have time to develop, you’re probably going to end up with an average at best player.

I'd be willing to take ant-man, but I would even throw him into that 3-10 group. Hunter and Reddish have shown a ton of promise and both have started to become positives on both sides of the ball. It is still inconsistent, but with their ceilings and current abilities, I do not really see us giving a ton of minutes to ant-man or the other guards, especially if they have a trae or john collins like jump from their rookie year to year 2.

Trae has been on ESPN all day talking about how he is tired of losing and that he has talked to management about losing and making improvements to the team. I don't think Ressler is going to allow for another developmental year, which is what those guys need. They need the minutes and patience that Reddish got to just be terrible and shoot poorly.

5 hours ago, red2play said:

Trade Collins and play Capella at PF & Wiseman at Center.  Time to build a stout defense

Our defensive woes seem like an easy fix.

Seriously, just make SOME F'ING EFFORT at getting rebounds with any of our existing guys, and we've quadrupled our defensive output.

Then, when you get picked, SWITCH and start guarding your new guy with active hands, active feet, and on-ball proximity so they can't slash past you and they don't feel comfortable making a shot.  Meaning don't chase your assignment who's now 10 feet away and leave open a guy standing at the top of the key with a wide open shot.  And then look like an idiot trying to sprint back 10 feet with your hand in the air a full second too late to remotely disrupt the shot.  Only to now be too far away and with momentum going the wrong way so you have no chance of getting in the paint for a possible rebound.

Then, once anyone from the other team shoots, get your a$$ into the paint and bang inside until you and your teammates working together have blocked out your opponents so you or one of your teammates has the best chance of securing the freaking rebound.

This team sucks at switching, gets lazy while guarding (no active hands, standing high, slow feet/shuffle, crossing over to run because unprepared, giving way too big a cushion), and stands there watching shots WAY too much instead of crashing to the paint/boards to rebound.

I've never seen a team more out of position in all facets of defense.  And then we look so silly when we realize we're out of position and try to make the correction late, or we just stand there waiting for one of our teammates to get the ball or activate on a shooter, and NOBODY does, because everyone thinks someone else is going to do it.

This ish isn't really that difficult.  It just takes effort.  We are deep enough now that you don't have to believe you can't play defense because you have to conserve energy for all the minutes you're needed for offense.  Put in more effort.  Play less minutes.  Tire yourself out playing both sides of the ball at max exertion.  And see what happens.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Our defensive woes seem like an easy fix.

Seriously, just make SOME F'ING EFFORT at getting rebounds with any of our existing guys, and we've quadrupled our defensive output.

Then, when you get picked, SWITCH and start guarding your new guy with active hands, active feet, and on-ball proximity so they can't slash past you and they don't feel comfortable making a shot.  Meaning don't chase your assignment who's now 10 feet away and leave open a guy standing at the top of the key with a wide open shot.  And then look like an idiot trying to sprint back 10 feet with your hand in the air a full second too late to remotely disrupt the shot.  Only to now be too far away and with momentum going the wrong way so you have no chance of getting in the paint for a possible rebound.

Then, once anyone from the other team shoots, get your a$$ into the paint and bang inside until you and your teammates working together have blocked out your opponents so you or one of your teammates has the best chance of securing the freaking rebound.

This team sucks at switching, gets lazy while guarding (no active hands, standing high, slow feet/shuffle, crossing over to run because unprepared, giving way too big a cushion), and stands there watching shots WAY too much instead of crashing to the paint/boards to rebound.

I've never seen a team more out of position in all facets of defense.  And then we look so silly when we realize we're out of position and try to make the correction late, or we just stand there waiting for one of our teammates to get the ball or activate on a shooter, and NOBODY does, because everyone thinks someone else is going to do it.

This ish isn't really that difficult.  It just takes effort.  We are deep enough now that you don't have to believe you can't play defense because you have to conserve energy for all the minutes you're needed for offense.  Put in more effort.  Play less minutes.  Tire yourself out playing both sides of the ball at max exertion.  And see what happens.

Defense is a skillset.  It’s ore than just effort. You think Cam is our best defender cause he tries harder?  No.  He has great length and short area quickness that make him a great defender.  He also has unique anticipation which accounts for his steals.

Huerter has slow feet and will always be a minus defender.  Trae’s size will always make him a minus defender.  Collins just appears clueless at times on defense.