Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jayu70

Trade Deadline Countdown - 24 hours: Hawks trade for Jeff Teague and Clint Capela

13 minutes ago, Beef said:

I agree, actually.  Huerter, too.

I really only see one possible real immediate upgrade, and that would be Wiseman.

Aside from that, Anthony Edwards would be a 3+ year project before he reaches any consistency.  Super high ceiling, but he's a long way off from getting near it, IMO.  LaMelo is the same issue, although I do really like his ability to facilitate.  He could be an 8-10 assist guy and around 18 points within a year at the very least.

Is Jeff Teague a longterm depth solution?  When is his decline going to turn steep?  What's our backup to Teague if Trae gets a high ankle sprain and misses 10-15 games?  Reddish and Huerter?  Goodwin?  Really?  Who gets backup minutes at the 2 if/when Huerter goes down, which seems to be happening consistently?  Who's our 7th man shooter or 3-and-D guy off the bench?

Aside from maybe Wiseman (which is very unlikely), the only rookies I wouldn't mind adding are 3-and-D guys, our potential future longterm Center, or that kid who is a John Collins clone.

Tyler Bey or Vernon Carey Jr. would be perfect.  Bey is a much, MUCH better version of Bembry, and Carey could take over for Capella in 2-3 years and be a staple at Center for us for years afterwards.

Jahmi'us Ramsey is the best 3-and-D guy in the draft and would be tremendous coming off the bench to spell the 2 or 3.  He's VERY similar to Reddish, but a better 3pt shooter at this particular moment.

And Jalen Smith is John Collins as a rookie, and will be just as good in a few years as JC is now.  That too, would be really nice to have as depth and future value.

I mean, we're going to pick someone this draft.  We're going to clearly add at least one rookie.  And we do have some questions marks with regards to depth at PG, SG, and defense in general.  And we'll have Center issues before too long.  Dedmon, Jones, and Skal are simply not longterm solutions to anything, just temporary solid depth.  So when taking that into consideration, we're actually pretty thin at the 4 and 5 after JC, Capella, and Fernando after another year or so.

It would be nice to find a gem or two that we have Bird rights on and can solidify our defense and bench.

I also suspect we'll be signing a max contract player after next season.  Hopefully Giannis.

Great post...

So if we have a top three picks, what is it worth in the trade market?

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Great post...

So if we have a top three picks, what is it worth in the trade market?

No real clue.

If we had the #1 pick, I'm 100% sure we'd take Wiseman and not even blink at outside offers.  Some teams probably don't value him as high as we do because they're already doing well at Center for a while, but I really can't imagine he doesn't go #1 unless something insane happens, like a team is really REALLY desperate for a PG or they actually think Edwards is the next coming of Dwayne Wade.

What could we get for #2 or #3?

Probably something between 5-10 this year, plus a top-5 protected 1st next year.  Just my guess.

I think most teams understand Edwards and Ball are long to develop with super high ceilings that are way off from reaching.

I honestly hope that if we're in the 6-10 range, we find someone to trade back with and we can somehow get 2 of the 4 guys I mentioned.  I'd LOVE to walk away with Carey at ~12 and Bey at ~19, or Jalen Smith at ~13 and Ramsey at ~20.  Something like that would be awesome, IMO.

I'm tired of seeing Bembry on this team, and it's time for Vince to retire.  Bembry is a chaotic mess with the ball in his hands, and Vince is a shell of himself and liability in all facets except leadership and respect.  Unfortunately, leadership and respect doesn't equate to making shots and stopping opponents from making shots.  Love the guy, but it's cringeworthy watching him play anymore.  That 3 he made the other night was the first clutch thing he's done all season.

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I thought this was a 42 win team heading into the season.  Now we are finally together and significantly improved at Center.  I see no reason we re not .500 or better moving forward.  I would be highly critical if we aren’t.

A top 6 rotation that includes Capella, Cam, Hunter & Collins is no longer a defensive nightmare 

We are not yet fully together though.

The injured - Reddish, Hunter, Bembry, Bruno, Capela and Skal

Just now, jayu70 said:

We are not yet fully together though.

The injured - Reddish, Hunter, Bembry, Bruno, Capela and Skal

Everybody should be back after the allstar break, though.  Except maybe Skal.  Maybe Reddish is in the concussion protocol for a couple extra days, but doubtful.

Don't you think?  Or is somebody worse than we thought?

4 minutes ago, Beef said:

Everybody should be back after the allstar break, though.  Except maybe Skal.  Maybe Reddish is in the concussion protocol for a couple extra days, but doubtful.

Don't you think?  Or is somebody worse than we thought?

Reddish maybe back on Sunday.  I hope the rest after the AS break.

It'll take some time to gel as well.

We are already a 400 team and were a 500 team prior to the injuries. We also have the easiest rest of schedule in the league. I don't think going 500 rest of season is actually far fetched, but I still think we are going to finish in the top 6. The Wolves are 1 game up on a bad losing streak, but they now have Dlo and shed Wiggins bad contract. Knicks and Cha are two games up, but Knicks are 4-6 in their last 10 like us. Every team above that don't have terrible last 10 records. 

Things can change if teams start to tank, especially since we have made it clear that losing isn't something we will tolerate. We would rather carry that momentum and confidence into the next season than 3-5% better lottery odds. 

So Schlenk appears to be adding veteran depth with an emphasis on defense to support his young developing team. Right now we have no bad contracts on our team and still have an opportunity get a top 5 pick and sign a max player.