Alabama DL Raekwon Davis got his first dose of playing time as a sophomore in 2017 and had a lot of success sacking the QB, totaling 8.5 sacks on the season. He's a huge guy with a great build who doesn't look like he has an ounce of fat so everyone assumed he was going to be the next great Alabama DL. 

He wasn't yet eligible for the draft so he then suited up for the Tide in the 2018 season and didn't have anywhere near the production people assumed, notching only 1.5 sacks. He put in for his draft stock and apparently didn't get a great evaluation so he bet on himself to have a better season in 2019. 

He had 0.5 sacks this season. 

Now he has no choice but to go into the draft and it appears some fans are assuming he's good. He's not. If you watch his tape, he has absolutely no technique. He's just a big body. He actually tries on the field, which counts for something, but his hand usage is poor. He gets blocked a lot. He doesn't show any sort of counters. 

The lesson is don't put him in your mocks unless it's the 4th round. Don't assume because he played at Alabama and has a name you've heard for a while that he's good. 

at 1 tech, he's pretty good. If you want a guy who can play 1 and 3 and get penetration, he's not your guy.  He wouldn't be a bad pick for us as 4-3 under is designed to have a 2 gaping 1 tech next to our 3 tech. It's a plus if he can beat doubles from time to time but, our scheme doesn't require it. He's a very hard guy to move and has good lateral movement.  He's not a 1st round guy in my book but will be a good value. 

I watched his whole career and I think he'd be good value late 2nd/early 3rd, if he was there with our 3rd I'd roll the dice. He'd be a good rotational guy, inside nickle DT, and part of our base D on obvious run downs. I think he's a rotational 5-sack type guy that's solid edge setter and maybe could develop into a 8-sack/Clayborn type later.

1 hour ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

I watched his whole career and I think he'd be good value late 2nd/early 3rd, if he was there with our 3rd I'd roll the dice. He'd be a good rotational guy, inside nickle DT, and part of our base D on obvious run downs. I think he's a rotational 5-sack type guy that's solid edge setter and maybe could develop into a 8-sack/Clayborn type later.

Whoa! Playing on the edge?

11 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Playmakers!

We have enough of the guys you just described.

1 hour ago, ShadyRef said:

What's his strength? What position along the line do you think best uses it? Is he even a fit for what we do defensively? 

He’s powerful and has freak height weight measurables, he has decent awareness and has run down quite a few RBs. Bama has lined him up at LB more than once.

Hes inconsistent. 

He’s not polished and won’t splash year one, but would be a good addition. Can also play end in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

You are entitled to your opinions. I don't know if we should label him yet. Most draftees will have faults. He is a good prospect for our draft. Can play outside and inside. Crazy height and size. At the Combine we will be able to get up close and personal with a lot of prospects

He's definitely a good player. He's just not what a lot of people want. He was asked to do something very specific in Alabama's scheme. He's a killer against the run, he's an incredible athlete, and he's way better rushing the passer than you'd think just looking at the stats. Not a 1st round guy imho, but if he somehow makes it to the 2nd after blowing up the combine, I'd take him. Just think he won't make it that far because combine warrior DL tend to go in the 1st.

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He's definitely a good player. He's just not what a lot of people want. He was asked to do something very specific in Alabama's scheme. He's a killer against the run, he's an incredible athlete, and he's way better rushing the passer than you'd think just looking at the stats. Not a 1st round guy imho, but if he somehow makes it to the 2nd after blowing up the combine, I'd take him. Just think he won't make it that far because combine warrior DL tend to go in the 1st.

It's not just about his stats. I don't think his tape shows well. When you would watch Da'Ron Payne, he wasn't getting sacks but he got a lot of penetration, beat up on a lot of OL, and blew up a lot of plays. I don't see the same from Davis. 

Think about it if you're a 300 LB DL at Alabama and you're good, the NFL is going to tell you you're a 1st round pick and you're gone as soon as you're eligible. Davis tried to leave last season and the NFL didn't tell him he was all that good. What changed between then and now? 

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

It's not just about his stats. I don't think his tape shows well. When you would watch Da'Ron Payne, he wasn't getting sacks but he got a lot of penetration, beat up on a lot of OL, and blew up a lot of plays. I don't see the same from Davis. 

Think about it if you're a 300 LB DL at Alabama and you're good, the NFL is going to tell you you're a 1st round pick and you're gone as soon as you're eligible. Davis tried to leave last season and the NFL didn't tell him he was all that good. What changed between then and now? 

That's just not true at all. Of the DL from Alabama in the last 5 years:

Quinnen Williams - 1st round

Isaiah Biggs - 6th round

Da'Ron Payne - 1st round

Da'Shawn Hand - 4th round

Joshua Frazier - 7th round

Jonathan Allen - 1st round

Dalvin Tomlinson - 2nd round

A'Shawn Robinson - 2nd round

Jarran Reed - 2nd round

If anything, the 2nd round guys have outperformed earlier picks. Jarran Reed had 10.5 sacks at DT last year (injured this year), Tomlinson is the strength of NYG's DL, Robinson and Hand (4th round) started for Detroit...not saying the 1st round dudes are bad, but acting like he'd be bad since he didn't come out last year/wanted to improve doesn't make sense.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 0:39 PM, Summerhill said:

Alabama DL Raekwon Davis got his first dose of playing time as a sophomore in 2017 and had a lot of success sacking the QB, totaling 8.5 sacks on the season. He's a huge guy with a great build who doesn't look like he has an ounce of fat so everyone assumed he was going to be the next great Alabama DL. 

He wasn't yet eligible for the draft so he then suited up for the Tide in the 2018 season and didn't have anywhere near the production people assumed, notching only 1.5 sacks. He put in for his draft stock and apparently didn't get a great evaluation so he bet on himself to have a better season in 2019. 

He had 0.5 sacks this season. 

Now he has no choice but to go into the draft and it appears some fans are assuming he's good. He's not. If you watch his tape, he has absolutely no technique. He's just a big body. He actually tries on the field, which counts for something, but his hand usage is poor. He gets blocked a lot. He doesn't show any sort of counters. 

The lesson is don't put him in your mocks unless it's the 4th round. Don't assume because he played at Alabama and has a name you've heard for a while that he's good. 

I didn't like him then and I surely don't like him now.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

That's just not true at all. Of the DL from Alabama in the last 5 years:

Quinnen Williams - 1st round

Isaiah Biggs - 6th round

Da'Ron Payne - 1st round

Da'Shawn Hand - 4th round

Joshua Frazier - 7th round

Jonathan Allen - 1st round

Dalvin Tomlinson - 2nd round

A'Shawn Robinson - 2nd round

Jarran Reed - 2nd round

If anything, the 2nd round guys have outperformed earlier picks. Jarran Reed had 10.5 sacks at DT last year (injured this year), Tomlinson is the strength of NYG's DL, Robinson and Hand (4th round) started for Detroit...not saying the 1st round dudes are bad, but acting like he'd be bad since he didn't come out last year/wanted to improve doesn't make sense.

I don’t think I said he’s bad just that he’s not good. I would put him as comparable to the stock of Da’Shawn Hand. Some mocks now have Davis as a later 1st round pick. I don’t think that’s where he will ultimately sort out. 

12 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He’s powerful and has freak height weight measurables, he has decent awareness and has run down quite a few RBs. Bama has lined him up at LB more than once.

Hes inconsistent. 

He’s not polished and won’t splash year one, but would be a good addition. Can also play end in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

So in the vein of Arik Armstead but without the crazy draft grading? 

16 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Hes inconsistent. 

Thanks. For comparison sakes, would he be a younger version of what we have in Bailey?

Saban has a way of making his guys stay in school. Look how Dylan Moses, the WR, the OT and N. Harris all elected to not enter the draft and all would have been 1-2nd round picks

Unlike LSU where 7 guys declared. So maybe we can't judge Davis because he didn't enter the Draft last year. Neither did Auburn's All American DT.

17 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Saban has a way of making his guys stay in school. Look how Dylan Moses, the WR, the OT and N. Harris all elected to not enter the draft and all would have been 1-2nd round picks

Unlike LSU where 7 guys declared. So maybe we can't judge Davis because he didn't enter the Draft last year. Neither did Auburn's All American DT.

Part of that's true, but it's also about being a part of winning a National Championship. Think a lot of LSU guys wouldn't have declared of they hadn't won. And with Saban, 3 years without is kinda unheard of since 2009...or so they're hoping. Going out on top, yknow?