UGA's Isaiah Wilson goes from unsung redshirt to pro prospect

FalconJim

Hmmm...should we be interested in him?  He's probably only a prospect, since he's only played football a couple of years, but he was a starter at UGA, so I would think he's pretty dang good!  I'd like to see us give him a shot! 

RT, 6'7", 300 + lbs.  Held his own this year, against defensive players who are turning Pro. 

What are your thoughts?  

5 hours ago, FalconJim said:

Hmmm...should we be interested in him?  He's probably only a prospect, since he's only played football a couple of years, but he was a starter at UGA, so I would think he's pretty dang good!  I'd like to see us give him a shot! 

RT, 6'7", 300 + lbs.  Held his own this year, against defensive players who are turning Pro. 

What are your thoughts?  

Edited by IamFRESCO1

Going off of the title I was fully expecting some sort of article. Both tackle spots are filled regardless of if the players are liked or not. Any other player drafted would be pure depth 

Side note, being a starter at a top school does not mean you are good enough to start in the NFL. Not saying he’s not good but that’s just reality

24 minutes ago, Carter said:

It’s always so weird to see people who obviously don’t watch any college football talk about the draft. 

There are idiots in the Draft and Falcons sections talking about drafting Tua or Love at 16. That's how dumb some of it is.

I can't even try to participate over there anymore.  It's just too often beyond moronic and not informational or fun.

11 hours ago, FalconJim said:

What are your thoughts?  

Here's a constructive reply so you don't get too discouraged about starting this thread, because we know you mean well.

But Isaiah is a pure RT and only an RT, and that's the position he's going to play in the NFL and he'll probably be darn good at it for the next 10 years.

If he stayed at UGA for his senior season, he'd be a top-10, or maybe even top-5 pick next year.  But he'll likely be somewhere between late first and mid second this year, which apparently he's satisfied with.

But point is, after a season in the big league, whomever drafts him is going to have an elite RT for a decade and they didn't have to blow a top-10 pick on him.  Lucky them.  Won't be lucky us, though.

Now the Falcons not only drafted a first round RT last season, but we have serious holes in several places, and the Right side of the OL, with McGary and Lindstrom, isn't really one of them.  Or at least it's not apparent as one of them at this moment.

It's almost a certainty we're releasing Freeman and not re-signing Beasley, Campbell, and quite possibly Hooper.  Unfortunately, that's what happens when you only have $10M in cap space and both Beasley and Hooper are going to each want $10-12M, and Campbell will want $4-5M.  Brian Hill is also probably going to want $2-3M.

AND, there's even a strong possibility we let Trufant go, too.

So we're going to have huge holes at RB, DE, LB, and TE, and quite possibly CB as well.  Not to mention the LG spot is currently not looking good, and there's a growing fear about Alex Mack starting to crest his decline slope and how fast that's going to happen.

AND oh yeah, who knows if Keanu Neal is ready to come back to the SS spot, and if he'll be effective enough to play at a high level again.  So it's quite possible we need to add SS to our list of big holes.

Our drafted rookie class is going to cost around $5-6M by itself.  So after cuts and we sign some bargain FA's to sure up depth darn near everywhere (we currently have 27 players on the FA market, which is insane), and then we sign our new rookies, we MIGHT have around $8-10M to spend.  MAYBE we find enough to re-sign Hooper, but it doesn't look likely at this moment.

Needless to say, we won't be looking at a first or second round RT.

Edited by Beef

11 hours ago, Cole World said:

McGary is our starting RT.

Of course he is!  What I was thinking is, could McGary move to LG and try Wilson at RT???  Or try Wilson at LG and keep McGary at RT.  I mean, it happens all the time, a tackle moves to guard when they reach the NFL.  If a player is any good at all (and I believe Wilson is), and plays O-line, he should be able to move around.  Heck, he might even be able to replace Mack at some point!  Just some thoughts ---

10 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Going off of the title I was fully expecting some sort of article. Both tackle spots are filled regardless of if the players are liked or not. Any other player drafted would be pure depth 

Side note, being a starter at a top school does not mean you are good enough to start in the NFL. Not saying he’s not good but that’s just reality

It wasn't supposed to be an "article" --- it's just something I saw about Isaiah Wilson, and wanted to get some other opinions about him declaring for the the draft. 
I realize both of our tackle positions are filled, but in just one play we could need another T, G, C... 
And yeah, top school does not automatically equal a starter in the NFL....duh....But they all have to start somewhere!  Wilson will play in the NFL, for some team.  And it could very well be the Falcons.  He may have to move to another position, but he seems to have all the physical tools to do that.

2 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

It wasn't supposed to be an "article" --- it's just something I saw about Isaiah Wilson, and wanted to get some other opinions about him declaring for the the draft. 
I realize both of our tackle positions are filled, but in just one play we could need another T, G, C... 
And yeah, top school does not automatically equal a starter in the NFL....duh....But they all have to start somewhere!  Wilson will play in the NFL, for some team.  And it could very well be the Falcons.  He may have to move to another position, but he seems to have all the physical tools to do that.

“Going off of the title”

8 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Unsung redshirt? LMAO The guy was a 5 star prospect and considered a huge recruiting win for UGA. 

Yes, I remember it well --- Wilson will definitely play in the NFL, and I wouldn't mind at all if it were with the Falcons!  You'd just have to hope he can play LG, since we're already set at RT & RG...

23 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Yes, I remember it well --- Wilson will definitely play in the NFL, and I wouldn't mind at all if it were with the Falcons!  You'd just have to hope he can play LG, since we're already set at RT & RG...

Wilson is a heck of a prospect and he is going to succeed at the next level.  I don't seem him falling out of the 2nd round. 

5 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Wilson is a heck of a prospect and he is going to succeed at the next level.  I don't seem him falling out of the 2nd round. 

I agree....and some are saying he may even go in the late 1st.  The guy is a monster, though, (6'7", 300+ lbs), and we would do well to get him, regardless of what position he plays on our O-line.  I don't know if he would be content to be a depth player, or not, but if so, he could/would be a great piece to have waiting in the wings.  Supposedly we're set at RT & RG, I know that, but surely he could be trained at other positions in case of injury, and might even be a candidate to take over for Mack, when the time comes, as well as play some LG.  
I know we need to bolster so many other positions, but D-line and O-line is the most needy, imo., especially, D-line (edge rusher).  We'll see how it all works out --- 

Edited by FalconJim