Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lju713

Delpit didn't impress me

37 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, 32wood84white said:

Agreed. Safety absolutely is not what we need unless it’s a bonafide stud and Delpit looks nothing like a bonafide stud.

Definitely horrible value @16 considering some of the safeties projected to go in rnd 3. 

It's going to be interesting to see who we pick.

PokerSteve likes this

3 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I tend to agree that Delpit maybe isn't the best choice. Can't judge a career on one game though. Our best move is.to trade down from 16 if possible.

Definitely can’t judge off of one game but I’ve always been in the middle on Delpit and I was certainly hoping to see that type of game in that moment that shows he’s got the extra gear you want out of a first round safety. Though he looked overmatched.

Rings likes this

I think that people keyed completely on one aspect of his game and ignored both the rest of his game and the other players around him. He has issues in run support, but he has so many positives. He can man up on tight ends, and he did so multiple times without allowing receptions. He has tremendous range and almost had an interception. He's a terrific blitzer and had a sack last night. He has so many positives. 

I think I'd rather have Chaisson on this team, if we pick an LSU guy in the 1st, but Delpit is a terrific player and can be an asset to any team if they use him the right way. He can straight up be an elite player in the league in the right situation.

13 hours ago, lju713 said:

I know alot of folks here want him, but I would rather trade for Jamal Adams. Not saying we are, but taking a FS at 16 won't help this team.

Would cost way to much. I'll pass on Adams.

9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Re-sign our key FAs, fill major holes with FAs that can play in year one and stock the roster with BPAs at every position, in every round. Rinse and repeat and we'll be stacked. Trust me. Never fall in the needs based Dimi chasm we've been in. Ever.

Agreed. I would add that a trade down every now and then would be nice, so that we can have more draft capital.  Also we need to make some hard decisions and let some guys walk, and stop with this, "Falcon for Life" stuff.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

I'm torn.

I've been saying draft the best D player available, but safety?  

This guy might end up the greatest safety in football history, but is that really what we should do with pick 16?  

I wouldn’t be upset if we took him. He’s still the best safety in this class because of his insane range and coverage ability. I do worry about his run defense, but I think that is correctable, especially with the addition of Joe Whitt Jr. to the coaching staff.

Delpit has the same concerns I had for Eddie Jackson coming out, and he’s turned out just fine.

He has a down year, but 2018 film was so good. Is he my first choice? No, but I wouldn’t be upset.

Francis York Morgan likes this

Safety is just horrible value in the 1st round anyway unless you are getting Earl Thomas or Eric Berry.

And I agree w/ the OP - Delpit is overrated and was not deserving of the Thorpe award - they basically gave it to him off of reputation of what he did the previous year.

If you are gonna take a hybrid LB/S in 1st round, you take Isaiah Simmons if he fell that far.

I'm not personally interested in a Safety that high (wasn't a fan of taking Keke with our first pick in 2016 either but loved the player and we really needed a Safety then).  As far as Delpit's performance, I see a good player but I don't see a real difference maker for 2020.  He also doesn't really strike me as a DQ/TD guy either (since that's still going to be a thing in 2020).

g-dawg likes this

18 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I'm not personally interested in a Safety that high (wasn't a fan of taking Keke with our first pick in 2016 either but loved the player and we really needed a Safety then).  As far as Delpit's performance, I see a good player but I don't see a real difference maker for 2020.  He also doesn't really strike me as a DQ/TD guy either (since that's still going to be a thing in 2020).

AJ Epensa(DE), Javon Kinlaw(DT), Isaiah Simmons(OLB/S), and Yetur Gross-Matos(DE - pending outcome of background check/lawsuit at Penn State).

Falcons need to be swimming in the pond above - not Grant Delpit.   If all four of those guys are gone, trade down if you can. 

Monolith2001 likes this

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

I'm torn.

I've been saying draft the best D player available, but safety?  

This guy might end up the greatest safety in football history, but is that really what we should do with pick 16?  

If he turns out to be the greatest safety in football history, the answer is easy...YES!

octoslash likes this

3 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

If he turns out to be the greatest safety in football history, the answer is easy...YES!

Yeah I overstated that.  Anyone better than Ronnie Lott...you KINDA want to take a look at lol.   

Boise Falcon Fan likes this