The Don™

Quinn - no regrets hiring Sark

115 posts in this topic

Lots of talk this week about Kyle Shanahan vs. protege Matt LaFleur in NFC title game. Shanahan the former Falcons coordinator, LaFleur the ex-QB coach during 2016 Super Bowl run. I asked Dan Quinn during season if he considered any of the guys in Shanahan coaching tree for O.C — Matt LaFleur, Mike LaFleur, Mike McDaniel — after Shanny left for 49ers. “Yes. 100 percent,’’ Quinn told me. But not all 3. “Matt [LaFleur],’’ Quinn said. Quinn expressed no regrets about hiring Steve Sarkisian, though.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fmcclure_vaughn.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Vaughn McClure, ESPN Staff Writer10m ago

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Shouldn't have been fired. #scapegoat

Lots of people missing him now.

Also before anyone comes here to ***** about not promoting Matt just know their offense is ranked worse than ours this year in points and yards I believe.

The difference? DEFENSE, THEY HAVE A ******* DEFENSE. If we had a defense we'd be in the playoffs and running more to drain clock. We showed that later in the year.

Drew4719, Nino11, ya_boi_j and 11 others like this

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Also before anyone comes here to ***** about not promoting Matt just know their offense is ranked worse than ours this year in points and yards I believe.

The difference? DEFENSE, THEY HAVE A ******* DEFENSE. If we had a defense we'd be in the playoffs and running more to drain clock. We showed that later in the year.

I agree. I was #1 on the no fire wagon. Even during his first season I defended him while the others said fire him. Gotta be careful what ya wish for when calling for someone's job year in and year out. What ya get in return might not be what ya want

3 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I’m far more confident in our defense heading into 2020 than I am the offense

5 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

well, the fans pressure was real. Some move had to be made

Disagree. Offense was still top 5-10 the year he was fired. If they went by what fans wanted the team would be 0-16 the next 10 years. Maybe 3-13. Those same fans weren't even showing up during the Super Bowl run

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’m far more confident in our defense heading into 2020 than I am the offense

I'm confident in neither. I'd like Koetter more if he wasnt trying to run other people's schemes with his scheme. 

And then I dont trust Quinn not to try and get cute again on defense.

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I'm confident in neither. I'd like Koetter more if he wasnt trying to run other people's schemes with his scheme. 

Quinn better not attempt to call any plays this season in any situation unless it's to run the ball with a lead

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

I’m pretty confident our defense can continue its improved play and the offense should be better...

I think we are a playoff team.  Not certain Koetter can get enough out of the talent for a SB run....but what do I know.  I thought we were SB contenders in 2018 & 2019

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’m pretty confident our defense can continue its improved play and the offense should be better...

I think we are a playoff team.  Not certain Koetter can get enough out of the talent for a SB run....but what do I know.  I thought we were SB contenders in 2018 & 2019

One issue IMO this past season and the only reason I know this is because I heard it come out of Dirks mouth in an interview. Dirk said the main reason he stuck with the old playbook and added a few wrinkles is because he didn't want the verbiage to change much for Julio and Matt. Now I'm not the best when it comes to interpreting what other's say and I could be way off but why only discuss Matt and Julio in that conversation. Hooper, Ridley, Matthews, Mack and Freeman should have been mentioned in that conversation as well. Like I said, I could be making something out of absolutely nothing but that didn't rub me the right way. I'm also not a fan of using other people's playbooks other than your own. Gotta get away with that. The next OC dam sure isn't going to use someone else's playbook

3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

One issue IMO this past season and the only reason I know this is because I heard it come out of Dirks mouth in an interview. Dirk said the main reason he stuck with the old playbook and added a few wrinkles is because he didn't want the verbiage to change much for Julio and Matt. Now I'm not the best when it comes to interpreting what other's say and I could be way off but why only discuss Matt and Julio in that conversation. Hooper, Ridley, Matthews, Mack and Freeman should have been mentioned in that conversation as well. Like I said, I could be making something out of absolutely nothing but that didn't rub me the right way. I'm also not a fan of using other people's playbooks other than your own. Gotta get away with that. The next OC dam sure isn't going to use someone else's playbook

It’s a valid point.  It’s a reason I think the offense will be more in sync next year.  

You want your OC to call plays like he invented the system.  Dirk wasn’t allowed to do that so there was a steep learning curve

4 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

They are player/coaches.  You see Matt do it on the field and Julio gets busy on the sideline.  I can think of no other players on offense who direct players on the field and provide insight to coaches and players on the sideline.

2 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

or whine day in and day out on every social media and radio station in atlanta about how Sark destroyed the team

All that did was put the stupidity and ignorance of that portion of the fan base on full display

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s a valid point.  It’s a reason I think the offense will be more in sync next year.  

You want your OC to call plays like he invented the system.  Dirk wasn’t allowed to do that so there was a steep learning curve

I agree. That's where the guys didn't run the right routes comments came into play. As far as the run game goes, once Lindstrom went down, the run game went with it IMO. I think there's gonna be a huge turnaround this year if everyone can stay healthy. 

Side note, I've came to the conclusion that there's a high probability that Freeman isn't going anywhere. He's gonna have to stay healthy. It's out of his control but he needs next season badly IMO

14 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

2 of my favorite WR's in the league have pretty much diminished their names this past season on and off the field. Gotta do better

OBJ just excited for his team so I can give him a pass last night.  But AB just has gone rogue.  I hope he sees a therapist or has someone he can talk to and get honest, good advice from

Sark wasn’t a good OC at all in Atlanta. Sure, he improved in 2018, but against teams with winning records, the Falcons offense was still awful with the exception of the week 3 home game against the Saints in a rivalry game. Sark needed to go, but was Dirk Koetter the right replacement for him? No. 

Here’s what a lot of people on here fail to address. I don’t care who’s your OC, but having to reshuffle the O-line and adding 2 ROOKIES in. That’s a big deal. Rookie O-linemen are gonna have it tough their 1st year, and on top of that. They’ve been banged up.

The loss of Coleman and only having a washed up Freeman run up the middle so many times with other average backs behind. I’m sorry, but I can’t put that all on Koetter although Koetter still has a lot of issues. Sark would have been just as bad or worse with this year’s O-line and poor RB’s behind.

This revamped O-line with 2 banged up rookies gave up more sacks and hits than the 2013 O-line with Lamar Holmes and Peter Kings which is insane. The Falcons need a better O-line and a new big workhorse back who weighs a lot more pounds, like a Derrick Henry, a Chubb, or even a Swift, and can run on the outside more as well. Coleman was really good at those outside runs and we missed that this past season.