Jump to content

The New Outsider Show on HBO


UGABOZ
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was hoping someone else was watching.  I've never read the Stephen King novel, and at first it seemed like another police procedural but I think it's definitely got something supernatural going on.  Great performances by everyone so far.  Bateman's speech about teaching the kid to bunt was great television.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

I was hoping someone else was watching.  I've never read the Stephen King novel, and at first it seemed like another police procedural but I think it's definitely got something supernatural going on.  Great performances by everyone so far.  Bateman's speech about teaching the kid to bunt was great television.

agree man these shows are great. I like this one so far better than last years true detective

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mdrake34 said:

It's going to be tough to top Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff's performances in S3 True Detective.  Looks like it's going to have a good horror element moving forward.

I guess my biggest ? is the person in the hoodie and mask thats creepy stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2020 at 9:50 AM, mdrake34 said:

I was hoping someone else was watching.  I've never read the Stephen King novel, and at first it seemed like another police procedural but I think it's definitely got something supernatural going on.  Great performances by everyone so far.  Bateman's speech about teaching the kid to bunt was great television.

I liked the book, but some view it as among King’s worst novels.  It’s actually a sequel to the Bill Hodges trilogy (“Mr. Mercedes”).  It’s among the truest adaptations of a King novel so far and the cinematography is fantastic, I thought.   Funny thing is that I saw throwbacks to some of the classic Stephen King movies like Cujo or Salem’s Lot.  I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s the dreary and dark setting that seemed common in those classic (sucky) movies and something about how the scenes are shot.  It’s almost like how JJ Abrams intentionally recreated some of the cinematic effects from the original Star Wars series in The Force Awakens.

I do think they might be foreshadowing a bit too much at times.  What I loved about the book was the whole two places at one time mystery.  But then, I loved Mr. Mercedes and the entire Bill Hodges trilogy, so the detective mystery part is what actually appealed to me.  That might be different for other people.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Haven’t seen the latest episode, but I’m very disappointed in how they handled Holly Gibney.  Considering how the Mr. Mercedes series nailed her character, it’s weird that they took her character in such a different direction from the books.  (And I’m talking about her personality in the show, not race.). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2020 at 10:39 PM, Leon Troutsky said:

I liked the book, but some view it as among King’s worst novels.  It’s actually a sequel to the Bill Hodges trilogy (“Mr. Mercedes”).  It’s among the truest adaptations of a King novel so far and the cinematography is fantastic, I thought.   Funny thing is that I saw throwbacks to some of the classic Stephen King movies like Cujo or Salem’s Lot.  I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s the dreary and dark setting that seemed common in those classic (sucky) movies and something about how the scenes are shot.  It’s almost like how JJ Abrams intentionally recreated some of the cinematic effects from the original Star Wars series in The Force Awakens.

I do think they might be foreshadowing a bit too much at times.  What I loved about the book was the whole two places at one time mystery.  But then, I loved Mr. Mercedes and the entire Bill Hodges trilogy, so the detective mystery part is what actually appealed to me.  That might be different for other people.  

 

33 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Haven’t seen the latest episode, but I’m very disappointed in how they handled Holly Gibney.  Considering how the Mr. Mercedes series nailed her character, it’s weird that they took her character in such a different direction from the books.  (And I’m talking about her personality in the show, not race.). 

I think over the top foreshadowing is just the norm now, I picked up on A LOT of foreshadowing last night (not only what was in last night's episode, but it also made things from ep. 3 pop up in my mind as foreshadowing also.  I'd venture to guess that the folks here are above-average, collectively, intelligence, but HBO still has to make a show, while sophisticated, that can be understood and appreciated by "the masses," hence the over the top foreshadowing. 

While not foreshadowing per se, IMO they just let the cat out of the bag last night who the "killer" is - I have no idea if that is revealed this early in the novel and don't want to know until after this series has concluded, but it seems like an odd choice with six episodes remaining.  I trust there will be more twists and turns, and from a pure plot perspective Holly will have to spend screen time convincing her law enforcement cohorts, but I was surprised that all came out last night. Towards the beginning of the episode I thought they had all but confirmed there was some type of malevolent spirit at work, but they basically just spelled it out by the end of the episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

 

I think over the top foreshadowing is just the norm now, I picked up on A LOT of foreshadowing last night (not only what was in last night's episode, but it also made things from ep. 3 pop up in my mind as foreshadowing also.  I'd venture to guess that the folks here are above-average, collectively, intelligence, but HBO still has to make a show, while sophisticated, that can be understood and appreciated by "the masses," hence the over the top foreshadowing. 

While not foreshadowing per se, IMO they just let the cat out of the bag last night who the "killer" is - I have no idea if that is revealed this early in the novel and don't want to know until after this series has concluded, but it seems like an odd choice with six episodes remaining.  I trust there will be more twists and turns, and from a pure plot perspective Holly will have to spend screen time convincing her law enforcement cohorts, but I was surprised that all came out last night. Towards the beginning of the episode I thought they had all but confirmed there was some type of malevolent spirit at work, but they basically just spelled it out by the end of the episode.

Yeah, I was very excited about this show but i’m getting a little skeptical about how they are presenting the story to readers.  For myself, the murder mystery is well enough to keep people interested through 3-4 episodes.  No reason to reveal some of this stuff until later.

And I’m especially disappointed in how they did Holly Gibney.  She’s one of my all-time favorite Stephen King characters and maybe I’m kind of biased, but she comes across as some kind of Caricature of Sherlock Holmes who is almost one-dimensional — highly intelligent and solves mysteries, but not much beyond that.  She does gain a lot of self confidence between Mr. Mercedes and The Outsider, but not like how they’re portraying her.  Again, maybe it’s because I thought the Mr. Mercedes TV show did such a great job with her character.  Who knows? :shrug:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching the latest episode and I still think it’s a really good show, but holy **** they completely ****ed up the Holly Gibney character.  The only resemblance to her character in the show is they share the same name.  Everything else is different on every conceivable level.  It’s almost like they tried to steal the Michonne character from TWD and plop her in the middle of a Stephen King story.  Just doesn’t work.  

My point earlier about too much foreshadowing still applies.  I think this episode or the next episode is when they should have introduced the hooded character.  It would have been a much more powerful reveal, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2020 at 10:28 PM, mdrake34 said:

So it looks like El Coco becomes a doppelgänger of the person it draws blood from. There were two different Jacks in this episode - one with long, gray sideburns, and one with normal mid-ear length sideburns. And he’s going to a baby party

I think this is not correct now. I think the sideburns thing were a continuity error that a reviewer picked up on and ran when. I think there’s only one Jack. 

But I DO think there two Terry’s/Heath’s/Maria’s. Something about how El Cuco infects people through blood vs what happened to Jack in the barn. And Heath’s friend that got killed in the police had the neck blister like Jack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...