wartownfalcon

This one hurts!!!!

40 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

Throw in McFleur’s brother, McDaniel & Scangarello and it’s easy to see why we’ve been struggling since.  

We wanted to keep the Shanahan West Coast offensive philosophy.  We had three of the 5 best Shannahan/WCO coaches on the roster and simply cast them off like garbage.  Unwanted garbage at that.  Bonita h McFleur’s asked to stay with no promotion.  We said deuces

The Daywalker, Osiruz and E. T. like this

Don't worry because Arthur blank has got Rich Mckay to spy on TD and DQ now. He believes in continuity and leadership, which helped by our awesome last minute momentum we gained from consecutive 7-9 seasons should propel us to a winning season at some point. 

m2Falcons likes this

27 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Most of the games the Falcons were playing catchup and throwing the ball, racking up garbage time yardage and points. Packers had the control in most of their games and could run out the clock/run the ball. In terms of DVOA for offense, which is a better metric for efficiency, GB was ranked 7th with the Falcons ranked 15th.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon

17 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Throw in McFleur’s brother, McDaniel & Scangarello and it’s easy to see why we’ve been struggling since.  

We wanted to keep the Shanahan West Coast offensive philosophy.  We had three of the 5 best Shannahan/WCO coaches on the roster and simply cast them off like garbage.  Unwanted garbage at that.  Bonita h McFleur’s asked to stay with no promotion.  We said deuces

Proof?

21 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Most of the games the Falcons were playing catchup and throwing the ball, racking up garbage time yardage and points. Packers had the control in most of their games and could run out the clock/run the ball. In terms of DVOA for offense, which is a better metric for efficiency, GB was ranked 7th with the Falcons ranked 15th.

16 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Packers are winning with defense. Odd for them lol

Yep, so if LaFleur was in house we don’t necessarily know if the run game stayed good or not.

The Packers OL is very good. They are better than any Falcon OL since ?? Definitely since the DQ/Shanny offense era.

And, Aaron Jones is better than Free was RB1 in 2016.

So, if we could have the Packers OL/RB situation AND a good defense just by having LaFleur at OC for ...2 years before he too got a HC shot?

Sark wasn’t bad last year. Dan overreacted to the run game struggles, and understandably so but going to Dirk to fix that while hoping it would mesh with Mularkey and an OL coach that doesn’t focus on that style of gap/inside zone hybrid?

We just changed a lot in one offseason to expect Offense would come out firing.

I’d feel a lot better if I knew the direction our run game was going next year. Who does tho? Chris Morgan is still here and is more of a straight up ZBS guy.

Run game has gotten worse every year since McDaniel left with Kyle. He knew the importance of run game and wasn’t gonna let the Falcons keep his staff around EVEN if we kept Matt LaFleur as OC and maybe convinced his brother to stay as pass game coordinator.

What changes all of the personnel drop off at interior OG/FB/RB1 since 2016 during the ‘17-‘18 down turn?

So, Mularkey left, and we had more success running with zone guards like Wes and Lindstrom(can play both well and our right side did get a lot better)...what style of game is Dirk gonna see to it makes the run game go?

athell and Ovie_Lover like this

2 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Yep, so if LaFleur was in house we don’t necessarily know if the run game stayed good or not.

The Packers OL is very good. They are better than any Falcon OL since ?? Definitely since the DQ/Shanny offense era.

And, Adam Jones is better than Free was RB1 in 2016.

So, if we could have the Packers OL/RB situation AND a good defense just by having LaFleur at OC for ...2 years before he too got a HC shot?

Sark wasn’t bad last year. Dan overreacted to the run game struggles, and understandably so but going to Dirk to fix that while hoping it would mesh with Mularkey and an OL coach that doesn’t focus on that style of gap/inside zone hybrid?

We just changed a lot in one offseason to expect Offense would come out firing.

I’d feel a lot better if I knew the direction our run game was going next year. Who does tho? Chris Morgan is still here and is more of a straight up ZBS guy.

Run game has gotten worse every year since McDaniel left with Kyle. He knew the importance of run game and wasn’t gonna let the Falcons keep his staff around EVEN if we kept LaFleur as OC.

If Mularkey left, and we had more success running with zone guards like Wes and Lindstrom(can play both well and our right side did get a lot better)...what style of game is Dirk gonna see to it makes the run game go?

I never understood the LaFleur love here...

16 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Packers are winning with defense. Odd for them lol

And for once, they went out and spent in FA...and are killing it with the run game.  These are very much not your father's Packers.

Schwarzwald and Ovie_Lover like this

2 minutes ago, athell said:

I never understood the LaFleur love here...

And for once, they went out and spent in FA...and are killing it with the run game.  These are very much not your father's Packers.

Maybe that’s why their OL has the best pass block win rate in the entire league? Something we couldn’t say about the 2016 Falcons OL; although healthy they were very good at running the ball.

all of that said, I don’t see them squeezing by San Fran without being able to run the ball well and their defense keeping it close early.

athell likes this

53 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Those guys plus Mcvay was on the redskins staff before that all together and they didn't magically win the superbowl. Not sure what the point of the thread is? yes coaches go to different teams, learn and grow.

Yep. It doesn't hurt that Kyle has probably the best defense in the NFL, and Matt still has Aaron Rodgers. I always thought it was better to learn from others mistakes, rather than your own.

Schwarzwald likes this

2 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Maybe that’s why their OL has the best pass block win rate in the entire league? Something we couldn’t say about the 2016 Falcons OL; although healthy they were very good at running the ball.

all of that said, I don’t see them squeezing by San Fran without being able to run the ball well and their defense keeping it close early.

4th ranked rushing offense, 11th ranked pass, 15th ranked defense.  They are another team, like NO, that we should be watching how they build a roster and scheme around an aging QB.  

I don't see them beating San Fran either.  That roster top to bottom with the Shanny + Saleh seems like a recipe for winning.

Schwarzwald likes this

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

They cant get over the 2016 offense is my guess why. Everything that happens or dont happen offensively is always compared to 2016. 

That offense aint coming back... 

Yup.  And tbh, we don't need it to.  Historic offenses are once in a great while, we just need a consistently great offense...top 5.

7 minutes ago, athell said:

4th ranked rushing offense, 11th ranked pass, 15th ranked defense.  They are another team, like NO, that we should be watching how they build a roster and scheme around an aging QB.  

I don't see them beating San Fran either.  That roster top to bottom with the Shanny + Saleh seems like a recipe for winning.

San Fran should annihilate the Pack, barring some kind of Jimmy Garrapollo collapse which I'm not ruling out. Kansas City vs San Fran superbowl should be fun to watch. 

Schwarzwald and athell like this

Watch these plays and picture Davante Adams as Julio:

Now, pull up tape of our game vs the Jags...

It wasn’t the same flavor, but we saw enough presnap movement, PA/boots and guys getting more open. There were several games we seemed to actually try to be something other than 11 personnel. The idea was there enough times it makes you wonder what Dirk would call if we had actually built leads or played in closer games before the Bye week arrived...

Of course, a run game being reliable and a Defense...at all... is also the battle there.

Edited by Schwarzwald

6 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Those guys plus Mcvay was on the redskins staff before that all together and they didn't magically win the superbowl. Not sure what the point of the thread is? yes coaches go to different teams, learn and grow.

More of an indictment on DQ. Hiring a college coach with alcoholic issues to learn and run another guy's offense. While you have a guy who knows the offense inside and out and you don't even offer him an interview.