Jump to content

We might want to pump the brakes on the McKay impact on our F.O.


Recommended Posts

I hope it all works out well. I really do. And I believe it actually might. However, history would advise us to be careful about thinking that adding McKay back into the front office is automatically our salvation. Remember, before Thomas, there were MANY people on this board calling for McKay to be removed as GM. When that move was finally made and he was kicked upstairs, most on here applauded the move. 
 

Again, I hope this works and it may very well work. But the last time McKay was in a personnel decision making process he got removed and many here were very happy back then when it happened. My only advice is to be cautious about the overt optimism and also the negativity, but give this new personnel grouping  a chance to work and see how it goes before pronouncing either failure or success. This season will be very interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, LouDog said:

So basically you are saying it might be a bad move. But it might not be a bad move. We thought it was a good move years ago but then it wasn't a good move. Now we might should worry. But maybe not. Thanks for clearing that up

Why more word when less word do trick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, LouDog said:

So basically you are saying it might be a bad move. But it might not be a bad move. We thought it was a good move years ago but then it wasn't a good move. Now we might should worry. But maybe not. Thanks for clearing that up

As clear as a stained glass church window! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

I hope it all works out well. I really do. And I believe it actually might. However, history would advise us to be careful about thinking that adding McKay back into the front office is automatically our salvation. Remember, before Thomas, there were MANY people on this board calling for McKay to be removed as GM. When that move was finally made and he was kicked upstairs, most on here applauded the move. 
 

Again, I hope this works and it may very well work. But the last time McKay was in a personnel decision making process he got removed and many here were very happy back then when it happened. My only advice is to be cautious about the overt optimism and also the negativity, but give this new personnel grouping  a chance to work and see how it goes before pronouncing either failure or success. This season will be very interesting. 

McKay was our GM for only four years. During that short period of time he built up our trenches with Abe, Rod Coleman, Grady, Babineaux, Chauncey, Boley, Nic, Demo, Clabo, Dahl and Blalock. Even added skill players like Roddy, Grimes, DHall, Norwood, Snelling, Jenkins, Schaub and Weems. What in the world would Dimi have done without some of those players in the 2008-2012 era?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

I hope it all works out well. I really do. And I believe it actually might. However, history would advise us to be careful about thinking that adding McKay back into the front office is automatically our salvation. Remember, before Thomas, there were MANY people on this board calling for McKay to be removed as GM. When that move was finally made and he was kicked upstairs, most on here applauded the move. 
 

Again, I hope this works and it may very well work. But the last time McKay was in a personnel decision making process he got removed and many here were very happy back then when it happened. My only advice is to be cautious about the overt optimism and also the negativity, but give this new personnel grouping  a chance to work and see how it goes before pronouncing either failure or success. This season will be very interesting. 

I would rather have TD and Quinn report to McKay than Arthur.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Abe, Rod Coleman, Grady, Babineaux, Chauncey, Boley, Nic, Demo, Clabo, Dahl and Blalock. Even added skill players like Roddy, Grimes, DHall, Norwood, Snelling, Jenkins, Schaub and Weems

Abe was a no brainer. Good luck acquiring a guy of his caliber for only a 29th overall pick.

you left out the top ten Jamal Busterson Anderson. Did he ever record a single NfL sack? McKay ran to the podium on the sht Arkansas DE

chauncey was garbage. A JAG. Nic was a JAG. Boley ok, better post ATL. Demo? Seriously wasn’t Debo Pretty much TD drafted a better Chauncey in Kroc, a better boley in Foye, a better Demmorio in Lofton and add in Campbell is as good as or better than all of McKays LBs

Coleman and babs...good players. Grady is better than both. I’ll grant you that TD didn’t grab another of that caliber interior DL. Grady “Gravy” Jackson only played here 1 year. So did Poe. Poe was better. Edge to TD

Roddy and jEnkins were it on decent McKay WRs. I think we’ve had HD, Ridley, JJ, Sanu , Gage and evening Gabriel that proves the edge goes to TD in wrs,

Trufant was less cost and as good as Meangelo, we’ve had several TD cbs stick and throw in rico and Kazee in secondary. Way better in TDs favor.

Clabo and Dahl. I think Schraeder was a good developed OL under TD. I hated Baker, but understood it. You factor in Mack signing and possibly last years two new OL TD catches up. Although, I didn’t get the the brown and Carpenter signing. I’ll give Mckay an edge here, but it’s not exactly a big edge. We never had a great OL under McKay. We had a shanny type scheme. Even TDs guys did good in that.

teco was way better than Norwood. Snelling was a great find. You can give McKay the Dunn signing, but the Duckett pick (was that reeves?) never was great. TD had free and michael turner signing. Edge to TD

Matt Ryan was a far better QB. McKay had schaub who TD got a second for. Ok. Good pick McKay.

im not sure how you can sit here and laud McKay and slam the comrade with a straight face. The comrade did far better in player evaluation and selection with two different coaches.

how many times did a McKay team make the playoffs again? Nuff said.

and, somehow McKay had no clue that Vick was fighting dogs openly. Ok, whatever.

Mckay is better at building stadiums.

quit slanting your revisionist history arguments.

you deserve to have @Vandy and @athell jump in with me and lash you for this ludicrous and nonsensical thesis of “how awesome McKay was”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Abe was a no brainer. Good luck acquiring a guy of his caliber for only a 29th overall pick.

you left out the top ten Jamal Busterson Anderson. Did he ever record a single NfL sack? McKay ran to the podium on the sht Arkansas DE

chauncey was garbage. A JAG. Nic was a JAG. Boley ok, better post ATL. Demo? Seriously wasn’t Debo Pretty much TD drafted a better Chauncey in Kroc, a better boley in Foye, a better Demmorio in Lofton and add in Campbell is as good as or better than all of McKays LBs

Coleman and babs...good players. Grady is better than both. I’ll grant you that TD didn’t grab another of that caliber interior DL. Grady “Gravy” Jackson only played here 1 year. So did Poe. Poe was better. Edge to TD

Roddy and jEnkins were it on decent McKay WRs. I think we’ve had HD, Ridley, JJ, Sanu , Gage and evening Gabriel that proves the edge goes to TD in wrs,

Trufant was less cost and as good as Meangelo, we’ve had several TD cbs stick and throw in rico and Kazee in secondary. Way better in TDs favor.

Clabo and Dahl. I think Schraeder was a good developed OL under TD. I hated Baker, but understood it. You factor in Mack signing and possibly last years two new OL TD catches up. Although, I didn’t get the the brown and Carpenter signing. I’ll give Mckay an edge here, but it’s not exactly a big edge. We never had a great OL under McKay. We had a shanny type scheme. Even TDs guys did good in that.

teco was way better than Norwood. Snelling was a great find. You can give McKay the Dunn signing, but the Duckett pick (was that reeves?) never was great. TD had free and michael turner signing. Edge to TD

Matt Ryan was a far better QB. McKay had schaub who TD got a second for. Ok. Good pick McKay.

im not sure how you can sit here and laud McKay and slam the comrade with a straight face. The comrade did far better in player evaluation and selection with two different coaches.

how many times did a McKay team make the playoffs again? Nuff said.

and, somehow McKay had no clue that Vick was fighting dogs openly. Ok, whatever.

Mckay is better at building stadiums.

quit slanting your revisionist history arguments.

you deserve to have @Vandy and @athell jump in with me and lash you for this ludicrous and nonsensical thesis of “how awesome McKay was”

Bro you’re comparing four years of roster building to twelve. And please don’t make me list the Dimi busts. We don’t have enough time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Coleman and babs...good players. Grady is better than both.

teco was way better than Norwood. 

Matt Ryan was a far better QB. McKay had schaub who TD got a second for. Ok.

the first two comments are very debatable.

Rod Coleman was a bad man. Love GJ, he is our best defender we have, but RC in his prime was special too. I struggle to say which was better.

In no way is Coleman as good as Jerious was, let alone way better. That’s pure lunacy. May need to go back and watch him again. It’s a shame he had the injury problems, but ‘crazy legs’ was awesome.

and as a FYI, TD got two 2nds for Schaub. The career he had for a third round pick at QB equates to a great pick.

You still have to give credit to McKay for the Abe deal getting done. SEA tried their best to jump in at the last minute and screw us, but McKay still got it done. And he could have panicked and just gave the #14 pick, but he worked a trade w DEN and landed us another 3rd in the move back. It helps that Abe has his mind set he only wanted to play for ATL too.

a lot of the guys being listed (Foye, Kazee, etc) are considered better only because they are current. But Foye was not better than DeMorrio or Boley in their time here. I think years going by are downing some of these prior players impact compared to new ones. In 10 years they will be remembered as JAGs too most likely.

not a hate on McKay or TD, but McKay built a nice roster too. Wish we could have seen Ryan play then too, because QB is what held the team back in the McKay era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro you’re comparing four years of roster building to twelve. And please don’t make me list the Dimi busts. We don’t have enough time.

I’m not a dimi apologist by any means. He should have been fired with DQ, but if we were to go first four years of McKay vs Dimi, I think Dimi wins. He wins if nothing else that it’s four straight winning seasons and three playoff appearances.

personally, dump them both and get a new GM.

just saying, bro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

the first two comments are very debatable.

Rod Coleman was a bad man. Love GJ, he is our best defender we have, but RC in his prime was special too. I struggle to say which was better.

In no way is Coleman as good as Jerious was, let alone way better. That’s pure lunacy. May need to go back and watch him again. It’s a shame he had the injury problems, but ‘crazy legs’ was awesome.

and as a FYI, TD got two 2nds for Schaub.
 

still have to give credit for the Abe deal. SEA tried their best to jump in at the last minute and screw us, but McKay got it done. And he could have panicked and just gave the #14 pick, but he worked a trade w DEN and landed us another 3rd in the move back.

a lot of the guys being listed (Foye, Kazee, etc) are good because they are current. But Foye was not better than DeMorrio or Boley in their time here. I think years going by are downing some of these prior players impact compared to new ones.

not a hate on McKay or TD, but McKay built a nice roster too. Wish we could have seen Ryan play then too, because QB is what held the team back in the McKay era.

Again, I’m not a comrade fan. He’s been here too long, but I can’t quite go with you on some of the things you listed, except RC. He was a bad man at the time. 
the point on the Abe acquisition, I can’t recall in recent years where an all pro edge is available for such a cost. The Khalil Mack price was huge. And Clowney wasn’t Abe’s level. I cannot say that TD wouldn’t have acquired Abe in that situation.

on TD linebackers, we’ve had lofton, Campbell, Debo and Foye. We had a garbage pick of Riley. On LBs, I’d say edge goes to TD clearly. Debo and lofton alone were better for us than all listed. Campbell and Demo and Boley were all comparable while in ATL. Boley had a run post Atlanta. I lost track of Demo tbh. Chiefs I think.

Plus, McKay had a huge top ten bust drafted in busterson. That was massive. I’m not sure he ever got a NFL sack, and none here if I remember correctly. 
McKay was not greater than TD.

personally, both of them and DQ would be on unemployment line right now if I were AB. TD had his moments but 11 years is a long time, Mckay was better at building stadiums while here, and got a pass because of his bucs success. 
But we have TD and DQ and overall, minus the OL, TD has been fairly good. He did have the Edwards bad signing...but monumental busts? Maybe the Collins and Hageman, and konz. But again second rounder busts are common across NFL. Busts in 3rd onward aren’t even busts. Many great GMs lose those picks on sht players. Including McKay 
 

. I can’t recall an outright first round bust of his on the level of Jamal Anderson and even Jenkins whoMckay trades into first for. Vic has steadily been in 5-8 sack territory and had an all pro year. Takk is 6-8 sacks. Not outright busts. Sam baker who still had a few good years is probably the closest to a first round bust under TD

Schaub trade was all TD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn’t trying to say you are just a new guy or fair weather guy... just saying it’s easy to forget the impacts role players had previous vs now.

i really only debated two player comparisons...and gave credit for getting the Abe deal done when it was almost derailed.

the JA98 pick was a serious blunder I agree. McKay panicked after Kerney pulled some BS w his contract. He had 4.5 sacks here, which was crazy bad. Makes you appreciate Vic a tad bit more, but both are overall disappointing picks. Man, I hated that pick from day one.

i feel both McKay and TD have done good an bad, TD has stuck around 3x as long to build his resume though. That likely doesn't happen though if his first pick wasn’t the beat pick in Falcons history!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...