Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaGaBoy

San Francisco Falcons

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Garland at C impressed the **** out of me yesterday.They handled 2 brutes the Vikings have inside and ran the ball at will on them.

He gets off the ball so quick.

There interior is very connected especially against that Vikings reknown A gap pressure.

Saw one play where it was 3rd and 12 and the mentioned interior handled it with ease.He’s impressed me alot.Consistent does his job much like Mike Person at G just does his job.

Garland played both ways here,but if you were a true outside zone team and you needed a C Garland looks all the way he can handle that position.

I agree. I thought so when he was here.

8 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

If we had the players and the coaches to get it done, we would be getting it done.

Your premise is seriously flawed. 

No.  You can have all the people you need to succeed and still fail.  What is wrong when you have the personnel and you continue to fail or have limited success?

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

Yeah, scheme. Like a team that actually RUNS the football and goes to the NFCCG. Unlike our sit at home in January, 2/1 pass/run ratio BS.

There was nothing wrong at all with Garland's run blocking. He was kind of a mauler and played to the echo of the whistle. He was tenacious. I'm glad he found a team that appreciates that.

Sorry, I'm just a little testy right now that our ex OC and ex QB coach (who was too "inexperienced" to keep as OC) are facing off in the NFCCG and we're stuck with "7 step drop Dirk".

Gross mismanagement top to bottom.

Yeah like everyone here scratching their head when DQ brought in Sark instead of promoting Lafleur. We were all WTF?

13 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

They have an identity and a vision, and Shanny is meticulous in his execution of that. He has coaches who assist in that. That's why it works.

We certainly have the talent on offense. Yet, the defense is less talented but I'm more confident in them having an identity and being a cohesive unit next year. So much of football is everyone being on the same page...we didn't have that at all the first half of the year. Even in the second half, our offensive identity was moreso having our best players bail us out.

Exactly.

10 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

What you said has me thinking. Who was the last player the Falcons signed from another team that actually surprised everyone? Seriously, I'm drawing a blank here.

The ones that jump to mind on the good side are Taylor Gabriel, Biscuit Bennett, Michael Turner, Morten Andersen. Terance Mathis, Tony Gonzalez (no one thought he'd be here more than 1 or 2 years max) and Big Play Ray.

On the bad side - Steven Jackson, Ray Edwards, Dunta Robinson, Ed Hartwell, Ashley Lelie are the first I think of.

10 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

What you said has me thinking. Who was the last player the Falcons signed from another team that actually surprised everyone? Seriously, I'm drawing a blank here.

Taylor Gabriel was the most recent pleasant surprise.

Sanu wasn’t a low profile signing, but I would say he was better than most around here were expecting.

before that Clabo and Dahl were awesome low key signings that made a big impact. (Both were previous PS players for other teams)

my favorite castoff signing was still Rod Coleman...though I guess when you look back he was pretty good in OAK too.

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

The ones that jump to mind on the good side are Taylor Gabriel, Biscuit Bennett, Michael Turner, Morten Andersen. Terance Mathis, Tony Gonzalez (no one thought he'd be here more than 1 or 2 years max) and Big Play Ray.

On the bad side - Steven Jackson, Ray Edwards, Dunta Robinson, Ed Hartwell, Ashley Lelie are the first I think of.

Cool thank you. I already forgot a out Gabriel. Seems he's the most recent.

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Taylor Gabriel was the most recent pleasant surprise.

Sanu wasn’t a low profile signing, but I would say he was better than most around here were expecting.

before that Clabo and Dahl were awesome low key signings that made a big impact. (Both were previous PS players for other teams)

my favorite castoff signing was still Rod Coleman...though I guess when you look back he was pretty good in OAK too.

Awesome. Thanks. Those players bring back memories.

9 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Yeah, scheme. Like a team that actually RUNS the football and goes to the NFCCG. Unlike our sit at home in January, 2/1 pass/run ratio BS.

There was nothing wrong at all with Garland's run blocking. He was kind of a mauler and played to the echo of the whistle. He was tenacious. I'm glad he found a team that appreciates that.

Sorry, I'm just a little testy right now that our ex OC and ex QB coach (who was too "inexperienced" to keep as OC) are facing off in the NFCCG and we're stuck with "7 step drop Dirk".

Gross mismanagement top to bottom.

Yeah, I'm a bit salty about this, too. That being said I want to see the Chiefs win the SB.

6 hours ago, FalconFromSpain said:

Funn thing is we put person at center and garland at guard. Person couldnt snap the ball to save his life, specially un the shotgun.

I'm seeing this as a repeating problem with Quinn. Asking people to do things they simply aren't good at. Person/Garland flip flopped, Beasley in drop zone, Kazee at nickel, Rashid Morris coaching WRs while our DBs are horrendous, guys at nose that are simply too small, trying to run a 3-4 type look with 4-3 talent. He tinkers and not often in a good way.

1 hour ago, dapanch420 said:

sarkisian wasnt as bad as people make him out to be, the offense took a big step in his 2nd year, and im pretty sure we wouldve been top 5 in his 3rd year.

I never understood why DQ would bring in an outsider to learn Kyle's system and try to run it when you had a guy who already knew the system in-house (Lafleur). That 2017 offense was atrocious. 2017 was the best defense the Falcons fielded under DQ and they probably beat the Eagles/go the Super Bowl again if they had a good offense.

2 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

I never understood why DQ would bring in an outsider to learn Kyle's system and try to run it when you had a guy who already knew the system in-house (Lafleur). That 2017 offense was atrocious. 2017 was the best defense the Falcons fielded under DQ and they probably beat the Eagles/go the Super Bowl again if they had a good offense.

#9 offense per dvoa and #22 defense per dvoa in 2017.  Sark wasn't the problem.

28 minutes ago, athell said:

#9 offense per dvoa and #22 defense per dvoa in 2017.  Sark wasn't the problem.

DVOA on offense was inflated because of the yardage but when you got to redzone, they couldn't convert. That's why the PPG went from 34 in 2016 to 22 in 2017.

6 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

DVOA on offense was inflated because of the yardage but when you got to redzone, they couldn't convert. That's why the PPG went from 34 in 2016 to 22 in 2017.

DVOA doesn't get inflated.  That's the whole point of the metric.

Also there were a number of reasons our PPG dropped, including players dropping balls and missing assignments.  I can't believe we are here doing this again with Sark, this place never ceases to amaze.

Just now, athell said:

DVOA doesn't get inflated.  That's the whole point of the metric.

Falcons had a brutal offensive schedule in 2017 (brutal schedule period actually) which is probably why we struggled so much on offense and yet put up a pretty good DVOA.

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Falcons had a brutal offensive schedule in 2017 (brutal schedule period actually) which is probably why we struggled so much on offense and yet put up a pretty good DVOA.

Yup.  I edited my post too, that was the year we were tied for the league lead (or near the top) in dropped passes.  Also iirc our oline kept getting banged up, that was the start of Freeman's injuries, etc.  Our guys did not execute well at all that year, and while Sark wasn't Shanny, he also wasn't nearly as bad as most here made him out to be.

4 minutes ago, athell said:

Yup.  I edited my post too, that was the year we were tied for the league lead (or near the top) in dropped passes.  Also iirc our oline kept getting banged up, that was the start of Freeman's injuries, etc.  Our guys did not execute well at all that year, and while Sark wasn't Shanny, he also wasn't nearly as bad as most here made him out to be.

He had some really terrible calls at huge moments which is why he got that reputation. The last play call of the Eagle's game still haunts me. He was better in 2018 but there was a key stretch where our offense looked clueless for a string of 3-4 games against mediocre teams after the Redskins game. Sark wasn't the worst OC in the world, but he had very little experience and was often outcoached. In retrospect we probably should have kept him as at the very least he did show some very nice improvement from season 1 and 2. 

On 1/12/2020 at 11:30 AM, NaGaBoy said:

I hope the Atlanta Falcons watched the San Francisco Falcons win a playoff game yesterday.  Tevin Coleman, Levine Toilolo, Mike Person, and Ben Garland participated.  While Coleman was a valued Falcon, I view Toilolo, Person, and Garland as cast offs.  More specifically, Person and Garland under-performed with the Falcons.  I do not recall one of these players highlighted for poor execution in yesterdays game..

I am a big fan and do not want to bash my team.  However, we need to reflect on what the 49rs have done with three of these players while the Falcons seem to have more talent on an offensive line that continues to struggle.  Unlike some on here, I do not want to see staff turnover.  What I want is serious self reflection, detailed analysis, and improved coaching and player execution.

We have the players and coaches to get it done.  And,  we are not getting it done.  Just do it.

Never understood the dislike for toilolo here. He wasn’t brought in to be a pass catching te. 

24 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

He had some really terrible calls at huge moments which is why he got that reputation. The last play call of the Eagle's game still haunts me. He was better in 2018 but there was a key stretch where our offense looked clueless for a string of 3-4 games against mediocre teams after the Redskins game. Sark wasn't the worst OC in the world, but he had very little experience and was often outcoached. In retrospect we probably should have kept him as at the very least he did show some very nice improvement from season 1 and 2. 

He did, I cannot defend the fact that he did have some highly questionable calls...that Eagles game in general man...Keanu's knee'd pick...the roll out at the end, that entire 1st and goal to go series man...oof

That said, I would take him 10 times out of 10 over Koetter seeing what I saw this last year.

8 minutes ago, athell said:

He did, I cannot defend the fact that he did have some highly questionable calls...that Eagles game in general man...Keanu's knee'd pick...the roll out at the end, that entire 1st and goal to go series man...oof

That said, I would take him 10 times out of 10 over Koetter seeing what I saw this last year.

Especially when our OL had the fall off last year...

But I do believe he should have stuck with TeCo vs Eagles. He had the hot hand.

Sark didn’t know the personnel in 2017 as well as Kyle did in 2016, but he also had a hobbled Free in that game, an IR’d Levitre, and no DiMarco at FB.

His red zone and pass game play-calling overall improved in 2018 and part of that was bringing in Ridley.

What got him fired was the 5 game losing streak when the defense did improve some, but the offense just stunk. Remember that Ravens game here?

Again: No Free/Lolo/FB/Levitre/RG and in addition Schraeder hit a wall himself.

That’s 3 starting OL issues, missing your RB1, your best blocking TE and FB.

And we wonder why 2018 ground game fell off?

But no let’s invest OL for Dirk to pass 70% of the time and blame it on defense/failed FA signings/Mularkey run game scheme being the issue...which may be partly true but where was the defending of Sark? Right. That was left behind in 2017 when he was thrown in the fire from college ranks.