Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Refried Beans

Bobby Humphries, Jamal Anderson, Derek Henry

Anyone else see a trend? These dudes are all Super Bowl Running Backs and they aint light weights. Somebody wake Blank up and tell him to get his check book, we need some beef in the back field. This McKay Warrick Dunn, Ito Smith, Freeman, 3rd down light weight back bull dont work anymore! It;s not 2001. We need some grinders. Najee Harris, AJ Dillon, 6'2 225+ or go home. Hardware not hype 2020. YOU CANT TEACH SIZE 2020!!!

Edited by Refried Beans

7 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Anyone else see a trend? These dudes are all Super Bowl Running Backs and they aint light weights. Somebody wake Blank up and tell him to get his check book, we need some beef in the back field. This McKay Warrick Dunn, Ito Smith, Freeman, 3rd down light weight back bull dont work anymore! It;s not 2001. We need some grinders. Najee Harris, AJ Dillon, 6'2 225+ or go home. Hardware not hype 2020. YOU CANT TEACH SIZE 2020!!!

What year did Derek Henry play in the Super Bowl?  Freeman did in 16.

Already have a 6'2 230 lb guy...I like Harris (who's probably going back to school) but this feels like folks just chasing a trend. Would rather see the staff try something innovative and new...get ahead of the curve. Like, maybe they run more two RB backfields and draft a guy like Anthony McFarland or Clyde Edwards-Helaire, then run lots of play action and backfield screens. Maybe they draft a Hunter Bryant type and train him up to play some FB, almost like how Kittle is starting to see occasional use as a runner but can leak out where the defense doesn't expect. Maybe they move Julio around formations more and focus the offense around him since he's making 20+ million a year.

Screw the Shanny stuff and trying to recreate 2016, and screw trying to mimic other teams...try to make something new. Get a ******* identity for this team to rally around.

8 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Dude I dont think picking out 3 guys spanning over many decades really helps your case.

Edited by LouDog

8 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Or JK Dobbins

Just now, Refried Beans said:

@Rings until this year. I am sorry I stepped out of the time machine too early. Wait until TN beats KC next weekend then refresh. 

I'm sure you will start another thread to inform me how we need 18 other big backs from the 1980's, I'll be on the lookout.

You cant teach size, its rings true thru several sports. If I got a 6'4 dude that can run 4'3 40 and a good o-line try and stop me. Better than what we have right now, Ito Smith, Freeman,....come on....those dudes are third down backs. Falcons need to learn to muscle up and get with the times. 

Just now, Refried Beans said:

You cant teach size, its rings true thru several sports. If I got a 6'4 dude that can run 4'3 40 and a good o-line try and stop me. Better than what we have right now, Ito Smith, Freeman,....come on....those dudes are third down backs. Falcons need to learn to muscle up and get with the times. 

Name one guy that is a 6'4 runningback that runs a 4.3 forty. Ill wait

3 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Dude I dont think picking out 3 guys spanning over many decades really helps your case.

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Over 50 superbowls and you can only name 3 backs.

This is more an issue of not knowing certain backs than anything imho. Todd Gurley last year, Jay Ajayi/LeGarette Blount the year before, etc. Don't agree with the premise myself but it's not like there isn't precedent.

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

This is more an issue of not knowing certain backs than anything imho. Todd Gurley last year, Jay Ajayi/LeGarette Blount the year before, etc. Don't agree with the premise myself but it's not like there isn't precedent.

Yeah but you could name just as many small fast runningbacks that have played in superbowls. I want an effective running game. Whether that's an effective zone blocking scheme with fast one cut runners or a mauling O line running a power scheme. I just want an effective run game. And unless the Titans decide to trade Henry I don't really see us getting a Derrick Henry type back.

Edited by LouDog

Just now, LouDog said:

Yeah but you could name just as many small fast runningbacks that have played in superbowls. I want am effective running game. Whether that's an effective zone blocking scheme with fast one cut runners or a mauling O line running a power scheme. I just want am effective rum game. And unless the Titans decide to trade Henry I don't really see us getting a Derrick Henry type back.

Not really about naming guys who played in SBs, more just saying to the guys who are saying, "wow 3 RBs in several decades" that there are obviously more. Already said I disagree with the premise

37 minutes ago, vel said:

I see a trend with Derrick Henry...

The Titans defense has not allowed 2 TDs yet. That has nothing to do with Henry. 

Not only that, guys like Henry are few and far between.. We'd be better off putting about 50 lbs on Julio than finding another talent close to Henry 

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

John Riggins 6'2

Marcus allen 6'2

Eddie George 6'3

Legarret Blunt 6'0

Todd Gurley 6'1

YOU CANT TEACH SIZE

Since 2004 (when the NFL made more emphasis on illegal contact which made the passing game more efficient), running backs in the league carried the ball for a combined18,991 times and averaged 4.2 yards per carry

1) 3.9 yards per carry
2) 4.1 yards per carry
3) 3.6 yards per carry
4) 4.2 yards per carry
5) 4.3 yards per carry

You're examples don't work in today's NFL.  Derrick Henry looks great, he may be the exception, not the rule.  3/5 examples retired 15 years ago, most well before the league changed.

Winning Starting Superbowl Running Backs Since 04
Year - Name - Round Drafted - Height - Weight

2018 - Sony Michel - 1st Round - 5'11" - 214
2017 - Jay Ajayi - 5th Round - 6'0" - 221
2016 - LeGarrette Blount - Undrafted - 6'0" - 247
2015 - C.J. Anderson - Undrafted - 5'8" - 225
2014 - Shane Vereen - 2nd Round - 5'10" - 205
2013 - Marshawn Lynch - 1st Round - 5'11" - 215
2012 - Ray Rice - 2nd Round - 5'8" - 206
2011 - Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th Round - 5'10" - 216
2010 - Brandon Jackson - 2nd Round - 5'11" - 216
2009 - Pierre Thomas - Undrafted - 5'11" - 215
2008 - Willie Parker - Undrafted - 5'10" - 212
2007 - Brandon Jacobs - 4th Round - 6'4" - 265
2006 - Dominic Rhodes - Undrafted - 5'9" - 203
2005 - Willie Parker - Undrafted - 5'10" - 212
2004 - Corey Dillon - 2nd Round - 6'1" - 225

Average Winning Starting Superbowl Running Back - Drafted in 5th Round - 5'11" - 220lbs
Average Falcons Running Back - Drafted in 5th Round - 5'11" - 212lbs

Out of 15 backs, 6 went undrafted, 9 went fourth round or later, and only 2 went in the first round.

So, can we please stop talking about how bad we need an amazing back now just because we watched an example of one doing well?

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Only one 6'4" running back ever played in the NFL, Brandon Jacobs, who ran a 4.56.  

Only 2 RBs have ever ran a 4.3 40 yard dash, Chris Johnson (5'11") and Dri Archer (5'8")

What you just described has never existed in NFL history and nothing is even remotely close to it.  I really try to like your posts because you seem like a good dude, but it becoming more and more apparent you don't think it through before you just post random things off the top of your head.

On 1/12/2020 at 0:00 AM, Refried Beans said:

I used to think you could teach people, but you are proving that isnt the case.