Some insane Stats

atljbo

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/five-stats-that-help-tell-story-behind-falcons-defensive-turnaround

To put the magnitude of the turnaround into perspective, here’s a few key stats from the last eight games of the season:

• Third-down conversion percentage: No. 1 (38%)
  • Points allowed per game: No. 5 (16.9)
  • Total QB rating: No. 5 (78.7)
  • Red zone touchdown percentage: No. 5 (38%)
  • Total takeaways: No. 7 (13)

Here’s where the Falcons ranked in these five categories in the first eight games:

• Third-down conversion percentage: No. 32 (53%)
  • Points allowed per game: No. 31 (29.6)
  • Total QB rating: No. 31 (117.3)
  • Red zone touchdown percentage: No. 32 (66%)
  • Total takeaways: No. 32 (2)

This is crazy...... I still dont get how we was so bad from the 1st half of the seahawks to the earlier part of the season

25 minutes ago, Rings said:

Let’s stop talking about how we need a RB and start figuring out how to make our defense better.

We do need a rb to compliment Freeman/Ito/Ollison Freeman/Ollison or Ito/Ollison straight up neither are workhorse and this team is built off having legitimate threats at runningbacks. 

These are the backs I would love for this offense:

Dobbins, Taylor,Swift,Akers McFarland, Harris and Benjamin in that order.

5 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

We do need a rb to compliment Freeman/Ito/Ollison Freeman/Ollison or Ito/Ollison straight up neither are workhorse and this team is built off having legitimate threats at runningbacks. 

These are the backs I would love for this offense:

Dobbins, Taylor,Swift,Akers McFarland, Harris and Benjamin in that order.

A back would be a nice addition, it is in no way a need.  I would rather take pass rusher, corner, linebacker, safety, interior dline, literally any defensive spot over worrying about a running back in the first three picks we have.  A ton of talent will fall to the third round in RB, it happens every year.

Defense needs to be built first.. We've already seen this team at full power not be able to win a game with a lame defense.. If we don't rebuild our defense correctly, nothing in the world you do on offense will help this team improve any.. Matter of fact, with our cap issues we'll probably be even worse next season 

3 hours ago, atljbo said:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/five-stats-that-help-tell-story-behind-falcons-defensive-turnaround

This is crazy...... I still dont get how we was so bad from the 1st half of the seahawks to the earlier part of the season

C'mon. It's obviously Ryan's fault for not helping us keep up. I mean, after all they can score at will on our defense! What is RYAN'S excuse?

/s :lol:

But seriously, it was a massive coaching failure by Dan trying to change too much in reaction to last year's 5 game losing skid. This created a major setback for players coming back from 2018 team and rookies having to learn just like vets; other than some guys like Ryan and Julio having experience with Dirk before.

Defense and offense didn't help the other much; especially the defense not stopping a thing. It's basically a shootout most games pre-Bye from the moment they step on the field.

^It's no wonder the run game was abandoned, but even in most of the early games we were wildly inefficient running the ball during the precious 2 or 3 drives we weren't down 10+....that was without Lindstrom/McGary's learning curve/bad OG play and even Matthews struggling back protecting forever like the other OL.

We need to get the right style. Please more of the Jags under C snaps and motion/playaction off snap. I didn't like coming out in the 11 personnel so much. It simply wasn't explosive with Dirk. He can 'blame' the run game, but won't get himself one to help his pass game; let them feed off each other?

Defensively, we just gotta nail the roster turnover this offseason. Offense, I'm more concerned with coaching. Defense I give a chance, but expect some growing pains with a new unit needing to be coached up with new guys. Offense should hit ground running if Dirk and staff make enough of the right adjustments/self-scouting.

8 hours ago, vel said:

Strength of schedule got easier too. They went through a combo of the hardest 8 games any team had and no direction from the HC and a confused defense. 

True, but at the same time we lost a lot of games on bad coaching. Colts, Seahawks, Cardinals, and we could even squeeze in the 2nd Saints game. 10-6 or 11-5 would have made a difference.

Let me dispute some of you who are down playing what the team did during those last 8 games.

Out of the last 8 games....5 of those teams/games we faced top 5 offenses (49ers 2nd with 29.9 ppg, .. Saints 3rd with 28.6 ppg, and TB 3rd with  28.6 per game) ... So its not like our D played a soft schedule during those 8 game...

5 of the teams/games was top 13 in 4rd down converting percentage

Also 5 of the teams/games out of the final 8 games were top 5 in most scored TDs this year

The improvement came from the adjustments from within to DQs credit.

The issue is can he marry this to next years team.

Its been an issue this consistency thing for the last couple of seasons.They can’t afford to start seasons slow they need momentum early.

This is all on the HC marrying all 3 phases until we see this we’ll be what we’ll be.

Just now, atljbo said:

This why I hate this theory of the marcus mariota looked liked a mvp candidate vs us during that first 8 game stretch.... dude was freaking benched  like 2 or 3 games after our game

Brissett looked likr a mvp during that first 8 game stretch vs us.... 

Atrocious game plans. They looked like they just needed to show up and the offense would fold. The Falcons defense was very arrogant and clueless early in the season. Once they got humbled and just started doing their jobs, they produced. No reason they should have lost to Mariota nor Brissett. That Titans game sold me on firing everybody. They looked embarrassing in person. 

17 hours ago, atljbo said:

We stopped trying to fit round pegs into square holes. We went from running this quasi 3-4-ish odd front with our two top edge rushes taking turns dropping into coverage to a more simplified Under front with 4 hands in the dirt that DQ is known for with more aggressive coverage on the backend.

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

We stopped trying to fit round pegs into square holes. We went from running this quasi 3-4-ish odd front with our two top edge rushes taking turns dropping into coverage to a more simplified Under front with 4 hands in the dirt that DQ is known for with more aggressive coverage on the backend.

Still think that was so much more Sutton than Quinn. In the end, DQ still bears the weight of his team's failures, but that was weird af. He's never done anything like that. Reminded me of Smitty's defense that last year