Falcons Safety Discussion

Watching ET ball out for the Ravens is maddening when we totally could have made a play for him, dude is averaging under 14 mil/season. That's pretty much what we gave Beasley. It's what we gave a couple backup OL in FA. But Rico's such a good leader, way better than people say yeah? Underappreciated, who needs a game changing safety when you can have an average guy who's easy to root for? Oh right - practically every SB winning team, right? Buncha playoff teams? Oof.

Hope we draft Delpit or Winfield. Dig Xavier McKinney too, and Nasrildeen is an interesting guy. Let's get some safety discussion going, who do you dig coming out? 

7 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

We need a SS. I'm afraid Neal is the one who will inevitably be replaced. Coming off a 2nd major injury plus he's already slow and gives you next to nothing in coverage. Today's NFL won't even allow a player to be an "Enforcer".

The injuries suck so much. Drained what I thought was a ton of promise to open his career. Half hope we rescind the option and bring him back on a 1 year deal to train up at LB. Always felt he'd be better there.

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

TBF I don’t know who can bring Henry down solo in the open field.

Well for starters you don’t try and tackle him up top as a tip.

If Thomas committed his first contact to the legs Henry goes down.He had the good angle to do it aswell.

The lower the better straight up Thomas made a business decision and just used the sideline as a phone a friend.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

Well for starters you don’t try and tackle him up top as a tip.

If Thomas committed his first contact to the legs Henry goes down.He had the good angle to do it aswell.

The lower the better straight up Thomas made a business decision and just used the sideline as a phone a friend.

I don’t think anyone in the nfl can stop Henry up top. That stiff arm is too lethal. Like you said, You have to go for the legs. 

I didn’t see it as a business decision in live action but I will have to rewatch. 

On 1/11/2020 at 7:42 PM, kiwifalcon said:

Man Earl Thomas’s effort to try and tackle Derrick Henry was feeble at best he didn’t want to know about him.

On 1/11/2020 at 7:42 PM, NWFALCON said:

rico would’ve tried to tackle Henry:ninja:

Kuechly has gotten juked by freakin Matt Ryan lmao, one play doesn't make a player. ET's made more plays in this half than Allen did in any game all season.

17 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

We need a SS. I'm afraid Neal is the one who will inevitably be replaced. Coming off a 2nd major injury plus he's already slow and gives you next to nothing in coverage. Today's NFL won't even allow a player to be an "Enforcer".

The game has changed and the rules are certainly different.  In my opinion, it makes no sense to have "an enforcer" in the backfield.  Every DB needs to have excellent pass coverage abilities, the ability to understand assignments and just enough toughness/technique to bring down a ball carrier.  

So, in short, say goodbye to Neal.

This is why I keep saying that Vic contract was so detrimental. It's not just his lack of production. It's the opportunity cost. You missed out on ET, Zadarius Smith, Preston Smith, McCoy, Suh. Several impact players compared to Vic. It's even looking like you might lose Hooper by keeping Vic. This shlt was so stupid. 

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Kuechly has gotten juked by freakin Matt Ryan lmao, one play doesn't make a player. This is some corny honky. ET's made more plays in this half than Allen did in any game all season.

Meh. ET is good but as a leader you’d expect more effort. Getting juked and playing patty cake with a ball carrier are a bit different in terms of effort. 

But seriosuly tho. I live up in Seattle and watch ET for quite some time. Great player but after the disrespect he showed Uncle Pete, there was no way that DQ would bring him here. 

Edited by NWFALCON

15 minutes ago, vel said:

This is why I keep saying that Vic contract was so detrimental. It's not just his lack of production. It's the opportunity cost. You missed out on ET, Zadarius Smith, Preston Smith, McCoy, Suh. Several impact players compared to Vic. It's even looking like you might lose Hooper by keeping Vic. This shlt was so stupid. 

i mean its not going to cost us hoop... our cap situation  would be the same.... Vic is not on our cap right now and its still what it is... So if anything,... We would have a 17 mil added to our already cap situation (Z Smith cap hit next year)

But i get your point of putting that money to better use tho.

3 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Thomas getting taking to the wood shed tonight. We are more than fine with Rico, just gotta fix that hideous DL. 

Lmao our DL was the strength of the defense this year, our safeties and coverage in general was straight trash most of the year. ET has had maybe one bad play all night, the rest of the Ravens D is doing far worse.

I want DL this year for the record, but they weren't the big problem the first half of the year.