The Genius of Belichick - Trade Downs - Take Notes TD

FalconsIn2012

Updating the Jimmy Garoppolo trade between the Patriots and the 49ers

The Patriots used assets acquired in the deal to select almost half of their 2019 draft class.

One quick note before we start: the picks acquired in deals directly resulting from the original Jimmy G trade are in bold.

TradeJimmy Garoppolo to San Francisco for 2018 2nd (2-43)

Trade2-43 to Detroit for 2-51 and 4-117

Trade2-51 to Chicago for 2019 2nd (2-56) and 4-105

Trade4-105 to Cleveland for 4-114 and 6-178

Trade4-114 to Detroit for 2019 3rd (3-73)

Draft: LB Christian Sam with 6-178

Draft: CB Duke Dawson Jr. (2-56) by trading 2-63 and 4-117

So, to recap, during the 2018 draft the Patriots acquired second and third round picks in the 2019 draft, drafted linebacker Christian Sam, and used another one of the picks acquired to package for a trade-up to get cornerback Duke Dawson.

Trade3-73 to Chicago for 3-875-162, and 2020 4th

Draft: CB Joejuan Williams (2-45) by trading 2-56and 3-101

Draft: RB Damien Harris with 3-87

Draft: OT Yodny Cajuste (3-101) and QB Jarrett Stidham (4-133) by trading 3-97 and 5-162

Most of the chips have been cashed in at this point. Damien Harris was a direct result of trading the 73rd pick to the Chicago Bears, while Joejuan Williams, Yodny Cajuste, and Jarrett Stidham were all acquired by trade using, in part, picks acquired from the original Jimmy Garoppolo deal.

But we’re not done yet: the Patriots still have the Bears’ fourth round pick in 2020.

The amount of talent that Belichick has been able to acquire with just a single draft pick is awe-inspiring. The name that sticks out is Stidham. Can you imagine if he becomes the successor to Brady? Belichick would have acquired Brady’s successor with a pick from the trade of the the guy everyone believed would be his successor. Knowing Brady, he’ll probably be playing long after Stidham has moved on to a different team too, but how amazing would that be?

Just now, ThemDarnFalconsBoy! said:

I'll give them credit for keeping a nice defensive corps filled with young talent, but they struck out on offense. It finally came back to bite them this season in the loss against the Titans in the playoffs. The defense wasn't enough to overcome that sad showing by the offense.

That’s not the point.  He turned one pick into six simply by trading down 6 spots in the second round.  And one of those picks might be a quality starting QB

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

That’s not the point.  He turned one pick into six simply by trading down 6 spots in the second round.  And one of those picks might be a quality starting QB

Duly noted, but I guess what I'm saying is unless 2 of those picks hit on offense, sooner than later, their offense won't win them any games.

11 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

And so far those guys have done nothing. Whoopie.

I’m pretty sure in three years you’ll think different.

Williams & Harris will be solid.  And Scar said the sky is the limit for Cajuste who missed the year due to injury.  Then there is Stedham.

All that for moving down 6 spots.  But ok.  Let’s keep moving up and wasting picks.

Former Patriots scout: Jarrett Stidham is Tom Brady's 'heir apparent'

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’m pretty sure on three years you’ll think different.

Williams & Harris will be solid.  And Scar said the sky is the limit for Cajuste who missed the year due to injury.  Then there is Stedham.

All that for moving down 6 spots.  But ok

Former Patriots scout: Jarrett Stidham is Tom Brady's 'heir apparent'

Stidham will be nothing but ok lol. 

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Lol you're getting personal again. I'll leave you alone. Forgot you can't handle anything other than participation trophies. 

Not even a lil.  Just stating the natural conclusion of your argument.  

Patriots Scouts: Stidham is heir apparent

Ovie:  Stidham is trash

Me:  So you know more than Patriots scouts 

Ovie:  Cause Scout’s are never wrong?

Conclusion: ?   Scouts can’t say Stidham is a quality QB yet it’s ok for you to blindly call him trash.  Makes sense

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Not even a lil.  Just stating the natural conclusion of your argument.  

Patriots Scouts: Stidham is heir apparent

Ovie:  Stidham is trash

Me:  So you know more than Patriots scouts 

Ovie:  Cause Scout’s are never wrong?

Conclusion: ?   Scouts can’t say Stidham is a quality QB yet it’s ok for you to blindly call him trash.  Makes sense

Lol

Of course. Scouts are never wrong. They're all perfect and every player is perfect.

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Belichicks been playing chess with the whole league never mind the narrative that he’s just played TD is that a joke.

He’s been making monkeys of every coach and GM for the most part the last 2 decades.

I would highly disagree. The only real reason he is successful is that he is a great coach. His actual draft picks are horrific and have been a joke since the start. GM Billy is absolute **** compared to coach Billy. I would say TD is way better at picking talent in the draft then BB. Amazing what great coaching can do isnt it

8 minutes ago, FalconBlood23 said:

I would highly disagree. The only real reason he is successful is that he is a great coach. His actual draft picks are horrific and have been a joke since the start. GM Billy is absolute **** compared to coach Billy. I would say TD is way better at picking talent in the draft then BB. Amazing what great coaching can do isnt it

It’s interesting one this because he always manages to maximise what he has which can cover up a perceived weakness in the field you mention.To be fair with BB and co it’s a misnomer really because they are never in a position to pick high in the draft so don’t get a look at the talent we get to.