Do we use a three step drop?

NorthGaBoy

I was thinking about our running game inconsistency and our OL inconsistency.  The problem with passing is the time the OL needs to block.  You cannot run screens every play.  It seems that when Ryan is under center,  we run.  When Ryan sets deep, we pass and run.  Passes are traditional and screen.  Where is the 3 step drop when Ryan is under center?

Here is what I am thinking:

1.  The three step drop will stop telegraphing we are running.

2.  This is a passing option that puts less stress on the OL compared with the QB setting up deep.

3.  We often need a few yards when the run game is stalled.

4.  We have a tall QB who can see the route.

5.  We have receivers who can do this.

I know I could be wrong.  Maybe we used this often.  I just cannot remember seeing it.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by NaGaBoy

We don't run the WCO anymore despite with TAFT tries to say. Which is why you rarely see 3 step drops and throw. What you see is Matt holding the ball due to longer routes.

We run 4 verts/Air coryall now because of Dirk. Tons of shotgun, nearly no bootlegs, no zone flood, but tons of play action and then never using it to our advantage.

We are in an archaic offense.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Ovie_Lover said:

Yes Ryan has never used the three step drop. Its just not in the playbook ever. You cracked the code. I will mail you a sugar cookie.

I guess I don’t understand why you’re being condescending to the OP.  He  offers legitimate insight and clearly states he could be wrong.

But whatever...

56 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I guess I don’t understand why you’re being condescending to the OP.  He  offers legitimate insight and clearly states he could be wrong.

But whatever...

I'mma stop ya right there, fam.

Do you honestly think Dirk is sitting around, trying to figure out how to put our guys in a position to succeed, and he's like "HOLY ****! Three-step drops! I never thought of that!" 

1 minute ago, Falcon Ben said:

Do you honestly think Dirk is sitting around, trying to figure out how to put our guys in a position to succeed, and he's like "HOLY ****! Three-step drops! I never thought of that!" 

Three step drop is a staple of the WCO and helps prevent sacks while keeping the QB in rhythm.  It’s just not what Koetter likes to do.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:27 PM, Ovie_Lover said:

Yes Ryan has never used the three step drop. Its just not in the playbook ever. You cracked the code. I will mail you a sugar cookie.

Ryan chooses what he will and will not do.

You don't pay an 11 year vet $30 mil a year and treat him like a rookie. He has some say in this.

Edited by FinalScore2.0

22 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Did anyone see this fake slant/flat combo route last night from LaFleur?

What could have been...instead we got Koetter <_<

@PeytonMannings Forehead will appreciate that concept.  Really beautiful design and execution

Since both corners ended up chasing Adams on the sluggo Route, I wonder how open the other receiver was

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

They used a lot of deep drops in last night's game. What the Falcons need is more routes that open up the receiver faster and maybe something underneath so Ryan can get rid of the ball faster.

I think especially in that Seattle game that was a ploy to get there aggressive DEs upfield so the designed run options for Wilson were there.He just eluded the rush and ran a few times where the rush was coming from.

The best zone beaters are deep mid range and shallow crosses,you want to create confusion across the back of a defenses crossing patterns are the go.

1 hour ago, Falcon Ben said:

Actually, Ryan was under center far more often with Kyle and Sark than he ever was with Koetter. 

Even when DK does call a three step drop pass (which is very rare), it's usually only an out breaking route. When DK calls a pass from under center, it's almost always a long developing pass play that requires a 5 to 7 step drop.

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Three step drop is a staple of the WCO and helps prevent sacks while keeping the QB in rhythm.  It’s just not what Koetter likes to do.

I know what a 3-step drop is. 

And call me crazy, but I'll bet my mortgage that Koetter does too. Hence, this is hardly an "insightful" observation.

I get that we all love the team and like yammering on about them with each other, but there's just nothing ground-breaking about this.