Bourbon lovers come in here

lostone

2 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

My brother’s in-laws give him a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked for his birthday every year. It’s a good gift and one he appreciates, but it’s not a bourbon he’s crazy about. He’s mentioned the strong char taste as well as a chocolate flavor. I’ve never had this bourbon, but really have no desire to try it based on his recommendations. I’m trying to get him to get a bottle of Buffalo Trace or the ECBP or ECSB if he comes across it.  

I think if someone gifted me the WRDO I'd be very thankful and enjoy it, but it's not something I'd spend my own money on. I think for what it costs, there are a number of other bourbons that would bring me a more pleasurable drinking experience. The bottle I tried happened to be a store pick, too. So I think the standard bottles you'd find on the shelf at a store are probably even a little less likely to be something I'd personally invest in. However, if you have a chance to try it (at a bar, at a friend's house who has it, etc.) by all means, give it a go, cause you just never know until you try it yourself.

Results of the blind were sorta shocking and sorta not.

The end result (my prediction on what each was are in parenthesis):

1st place - Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style (ECBP B520)
As this is the newest addiction to the collection, it's the one I am least familiar with. I had picked up pretty strong banana, dark chocolate, and coffee vibes from this when I first opened it yesterday, but it was noticeably different today. Given all the glowing reviews the OF 1920 has received in the last few years, I'm hardly surprised by the result though. Somehow I got this and the ECBP B520 switched around when I was making my predictions. To be perfectly honest, they're both absolutely awesome.

2nd place - Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve (Knob Creek SBR)
I figured this would be in the top 3 and sure enough it was. This is seriously one of the best deals around in terms of almost always available bourbon which is super close to being barrel strength & offers a wealth of flavor. This was also the one I actually got right from the start in terms of predicting what it was.

3rd place - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520 (Old Forester 1920)
It was sort of a shocker to not see this come out on top. However this was bourbon F, and thus was the last one I tried on the first pass. I was very happy with the top 3 and I feel like on a different day when I didn't blow out my palate and nose, this one could have easily won.

4th place - Angel's Envy (Actually had this as AE on the first pass but changed it to ECSB after second pass)
I really should've listened to my gut reaction, which was spot-on. There was some nice things going on here but not enough to be memorable... which now that I think about it, is basically what my overall feelings have been on AE since I picked it up.

5th place - Elijah Craig Small Batch (Actually had this as ECSB on the first pass but changed it to EW BIB after second pass)
Another one where I should've trusted my initial instinct. This seriously just tasted like bourbon. Nothing flashy, just a solid bourbon... which is pretty much exactly what it is, a rock solid but nothing special daily drinker. The finish on this was slightly underwhelming though.

6th place - Evan Williams Bottled In Bond (Angel's Envy)
While I did enjoy the nose on this, it fell pretty flat on everything else. It was way more smooth than I'd expect from a 100 proof bourbon at this price point (hence why I mistook it for the Angel's Envy) but it's nothing spectacular at all. The finish was pretty much non-existent. While it doesn't hold up versus some of the heavy hitters in this lineup, we just use this for mixing cocktails and at $15 a bottle it's pretty hard to beat for that role.

Something of note...
I think I was suffering from palate fatigue as this went on. On top of that, seasonal allergies have been bad on & off for weeks now, so nosing these bourbons did not give me the results it probably would under better circumstances. I also screwed up and drank all my samples after the second pass, so I never actually got to A/B these directly against one another. Had I done that, I might've been less willing to second guess my initial predictions.

Also, I think I may do another blind in a few days with just the top 3 (which all happened to be the higher proof bourbons of the bunch). I think that will allow me to focus on bourbons with similar characteristics rather than stuff that's all over the map. Plus, it may help keep me from blowing out my palate, and thus get a more accurate idea of which I prefer on that day.

10 hours ago, k-train said:

Results of the blind were sorta shocking and sorta not.

The end result (my prediction on what each was are in parenthesis):

1st place - Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style (ECBP B520)
As this is the newest addiction to the collection, it's the one I am least familiar with. I had picked up pretty strong banana, dark chocolate, and coffee vibes from this when I first opened it yesterday, but it was noticeably different today. Given all the glowing reviews the OF 1920 has received in the last few years, I'm hardly surprised by the result though. Somehow I got this and the ECBP B520 switched around when I was making my predictions. To be perfectly honest, they're both absolutely awesome.

2nd place - Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve (Knob Creek SBR)
I figured this would be in the top 3 and sure enough it was. This is seriously one of the best deals around in terms of almost always available bourbon which is super close to being barrel strength & offers a wealth of flavor. This was also the one I actually got right from the start in terms of predicting what it was.

3rd place - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520 (Old Forester 1920)
It was sort of a shocker to not see this come out on top. However this was bourbon F, and thus was the last one I tried on the first pass. I was very happy with the top 3 and I feel like on a different day when I didn't blow out my palate and nose, this one could have easily won.

4th place - Angel's Envy (Actually had this as AE on the first pass but changed it to ECSB after second pass)
I really should've listened to my gut reaction, which was spot-on. There was some nice things going on here but not enough to be memorable... which now that I think about it, is basically what my overall feelings have been on AE since I picked it up.

5th place - Elijah Craig Small Batch (Actually had this as ECSB on the first pass but changed it to EW BIB after second pass)
Another one where I should've trusted my initial instinct. This seriously just tasted like bourbon. Nothing flashy, just a solid bourbon... which is pretty much exactly what it is, a rock solid but nothing special daily drinker. The finish on this was slightly underwhelming though.

6th place - Evan Williams Bottled In Bond (Angel's Envy)
While I did enjoy the nose on this, it fell pretty flat on everything else. It was way more smooth than I'd expect from a 100 proof bourbon at this price point (hence why I mistook it for the Angel's Envy) but it's nothing spectacular at all. The finish was pretty much non-existent. While it doesn't hold up versus some of the heavy hitters in this lineup, we just use this for mixing cocktails and at $15 a bottle it's pretty hard to beat for that role.

Something of note...
I think I was suffering from palate fatigue as this went on. On top of that, seasonal allergies have been bad on & off for weeks now, so nosing these bourbons did not give me the results it probably would under better circumstances. I also screwed up and drank all my samples after the second pass, so I never actually got to A/B these directly against one another. Had I done that, I might've been less willing to second guess my initial predictions.

Also, I think I may do another blind in a few days with just the top 3 (which all happened to be the higher proof bourbons of the bunch). I think that will allow me to focus on bourbons with similar characteristics rather than stuff that's all over the map. Plus, it may help keep me from blowing out my palate, and thus get a more accurate idea of which I prefer on that day.

Appreciate you taking one for the team, dude. 😁

Also appreciate the notes by each selection. I’m open to trying new stuff, but want to acquire it gradually so that I make sure to enjoy what I have on hand. This helps when making selections at the store since we can’t taste test on site.....or at least shouldn’t. :ninja:

19 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Appreciate you taking one for the team, dude. 😁

Also appreciate the notes by each selection. I’m open to trying new stuff, but want to acquire it gradually so that I make sure to enjoy what I have on hand. This helps when making selections at the store since we can’t taste test on site.....or at least shouldn’t. :ninja:

No problem. Doing blinds is a fun exercise which can help develop the palate & nose, but I feel like doing a bunch at once can have misleading results.

In the tasting order for this blind, I ended up w/ EW BIB right between the ECBP & the OF 1920. Since the two bourbons flanking the EW are significantly higher proofs, it made the 100 proof EW seem really pretty smooth up front by comparison. Had it been between the Angel’s Envy & the ECSB, which both are lower proof than the EW, the EW’s 100 proof probably would’ve been much more noticeable.

The smarter move would’ve been to do like a tournament, where I randomly select 2 to go head to head against each other, w/ winners moving on to take on the other winners in following rounds until it’s narrowed down to an overall winner.

For someone starting out, I think it could be fun to do that with a bunch of the 50ml mini bottles. You don’t get to try a bunch of the more expensive options, but it’s a great way to figure out what regularly available bourbon you prefer... as well as building palate development.

The bourbon/Tennessee whisky mini bottles I see all the time at the stores here are: Jim Beam 4Y, Jim Beam Black, Maker’s, Larceny, ECSB, Evan Williams Black Label, Bulleit, Wild Turkey 101, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and Jack Daniel’s.

I think it’d be fun to drop $20-$30 picking up most or all of those & then use the tournament format to see which comes out on top.

So in NC, there are two warehouses where everything is stocked before getting distributed to the various ABC stores across the state. You can go to the state’s ABC website, which is updated every 15 minutes, to see the current warehouse inventory.

That’s a good way to tell when new/rare items might be headed to a store near you. If you see something show up in stock at the warehouse, you can call your local store to see if they’ll be getting any of it.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe there is a way to find out which stores will be getting allocated items that show up on the warehouse inventory.

For example, yesterday I saw a ton of hard to find stuff show up on the list in small quantities: ECBPx5, EH Taylor SIBx21, EH Taylor SBx6, Eagle Rare 10Yx4, Eagle Rare 1.75Lx24, plus a few bottles of both Weller 12Y & Weller CYPB

So I called a local ABC store to see if they are able to get any of that stuff at all, but they pretty much told me it’s all allocated so I’m s.o.l. Bummer.

This past weekend, I did a Battle of the High Proof Bourbons which featured the top 3 bourbons from my previous blind tasting: ECBP B520, Old Forester 1920, and Knob Creek SiB Reserve.

With just 3 bourbons, all in a similar range in terms of proof, I was able to get through it without blowing out my palate as I likely did a little bit during that last blind. I also used a slightly larger pour for this tasting so that I could be sure to have enough of each left after my initial passes through the lineup to be able to then a/b them against one another for comparison.

I also made a point to focus on placing them in order first & foremost, rather than trying to guess what was what and potentially having that effect my ranking. Only after I had them ranked in order did I guess what they were... and thanks to a non-exhausted nose/palate, I was actually able to identify all 3 correctly.

Here are my notes from the 2 run throughs:

Sample A
Nose: Vanilla & caramel sweetness balanced nicely with a touch of cherry & plum; along with an oak presence & bit of tobacco. Faint, but noticeable ethanol.
Palate: A delicious burst of sweetness, with caramel & vanilla leading the way.
Finish: Nice, pretty long finish w/ a good amount of spice, cinnamon gives way to black pepper before fading to a slight black coffee bitterness at the very end.

Sample B
Nose: Sweet with vanilla up front & caramel not far behind, a very light oak presence & a hint of corn (like sweet cornbread).
Palate: Explodes with flavor, particularly a rich, delicious caramel bomb. It seriously tastes like someone melted down one of those little square caramel candies in the clear cellophane I used to get in my Halloween candy back in the 80's. A very nice vanilla presence as well, with a chewy mouthful that coats the entire palate nicely.
Finish: Nice burst of baking spice that seems like it lasts for days, with a turn to black pepper before eventually wrapping up with a slight bitterness reminiscent of dark chocolate.

Sample C
Nose: Berries, dark grapes, bread pudding, custard, and sweet paper... like the paper they use in a bakery when you get a box of fresh pastries & some of the sweet gooey stuff oozes onto it; or like a paper cupcake wrapper with a bit of vanilla frosting still on it.
Palate: Noticeably subdued compared to the others, very smooth mouthfeel; a touch of cinnamon & a good bit of dark caramel (more rich than sweet)
Finish: Short by comparison to the others, lightly lingering allspice.

Here are my notes on the head-to-head comparisons:

A vs B: Similar burst of flavors, but B is richer & has a longer finish
A vs C : Although these are vastly different, neither one is really jumping out compared to the other, so this is fairly even
B vs C C is very pleasant, but B is just far more interesting

My ranking for this blind ended up as:

1st place - Sample B Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520
2nd place -  Sample A Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve

3rd place - Sample C Old Forester 1920

The 1920 was rich & delicious, but just noticeably different from the others. I felt like the other two were closer to the profile of what I like to drink regularly. I think that could have influenced why I had it so high last tasting, because I got fixated on it being different/interesting rather than thinking about what was best for my every day palate.

So it came down to the ECBP vs the KC, and it really took a whole lot of back & forth between the two before I could reach a conclusion. They were pretty similar in a lot of ways, but the ECBP just was a bit more expressive in all of those ways. That said, I’m really impressed by how well the Knob Creek did in both of these tastings... finishing 2nd both times against some really highly regarded bourbons. That bottle is always available around here & is a steal at $45-$50. But really, you can't go wrong with any of these three.

Took a trip to the tiny ABC store near my house today & finally got my hands on a backup bottle of the ECBP B520. Glad I stopped in when I did (was thinking of holding off until next weekend), because it was the last one they had at that store.

Oddly enough, they also have about 7 or 8 bottles of the batch A120 in stock. I never got my hands on that one when it came out, and was really tempted to pull the trigger on it... but ultimately opted to go with what I know.

3 hours ago, DawgBone said:

FWIW, I was talking with a coworker about B520 a couple weeks ago. He told me that as great as it is, he preferred A120. 

I was honestly shocked to still see the A120 there, and especially to see how many bottles were left. I was sooooo close to grabbing it, but with only one bottle of the B520 left I had to go that route instead. I may just have to go back after payday and try to snag one of those A120s (if they're still there at that point) so I can compare the two.

From all the reviews I've seen, the consensus on the A120 seems to be that being 136.6 proof, it comes off as a little too hot for most folks & it doesn't do as good of a job in masking the alcohol compared to the B520. I've seen folks who've had both mention that the nose is pretty similar on the two, but the A120 has a more oak forward taste vs. the sweeter caramel, brown sugar forward taste of the B520. Overall, I've seen most people agree that you really can't go wrong with either, but most generally agree that the B520 is more well balanced than the A120.

I'd love to get my hands on it to see for myself. Then again, the C920 rolls out technically in a month... so maybe I hold out for that instead??? Although, it probably won't actually be in the stores until October or November. Perhaps I need to get all three!

I also recently discovered that despite NC being a controlled state with ABC stores, they actually have started doing something here in recent years to allow people to buy what are essentially store picks.

They now have a "buy the barrel" program worked out where they select specific barrels from different distilleries just as an independent liquor store in a non-ABC state would when doing a barrel pick. The bottles from those privately selected barrels are then labelled as such & distributed throughout various NC ABC stores. Anything on the NC ABC price list with a (BTB) designation falls into this category.

I think I might've mentioned it earlier in the thread, but a good friend of mine picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked that was one of these BTB offerings.

One of my favorite any time sipping bourbons is Russell's Reserve 10Y & I'm a big fan of the Single Barrel as well. This month, NC ABC has the Russell's Single Barrel on sale for $56, and is apparently getting in a BTB version of the Russell's Single Barrel as well, and offering that for the same price. I've always heard great things about how wonderful Russell's store picks are, but I've never had a chance to try them. So, I'm really hoping I finally get my chance this month!

@k-train

Glad to see you snagged another bottle of the B520. I’m planning to pick up another bottle this week and was going to ask if you had found one. With the higher proof of it, I try to drink it only once or twice a week. I was planning on adding a bottle of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve until I saw your most recent post about the Russell’s Reserve 10Y. Can you give a breakdown of that particular bourbon? Which one would you recommend? 

8 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

@k-train

Glad to see you snagged another bottle of the B520. I’m planning to pick up another bottle this week and was going to ask if you had found one. With the higher proof of it, I try to drink it only once or twice a week. I was planning on adding a bottle of the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve until I saw your most recent post about the Russell’s Reserve 10Y. Can you give a breakdown of that particular bourbon? Which one would you recommend? 

I recently made a rule for myself that I can only have anything I spent more than $40 on during the weekends.  That keeps me from blowing through the harder to find bottles and/or the barrel strength bourbons.

The Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve costs $49.99 here & is 120 proof, so for me that one gets reserved for weekends. It's amazing, but probably not something you'd roll with as an every day sipper. To my palate, it's got a lot of the same characteristics of the ECBP, just slightly less pronounced. It's basically Booker's that's been left in the barrel another 3 years. Considering Booker's is now being sold for $90 vs $50 for this, it makes this one that much more of a steal. Knowing you enjoyed the ECBP, this would probably be a good one for you to try, but again... also not something for everyday drinking. Also, because it's a single barrel release, it's going to vary a bit from bottle to bottle. Sometimes you get ones that seem unbelievably fantastic (aka bottles from a "honey barrel"), and then another bottle you pick up a few months later might still be very good, but a little underwhelming by comparison.

As for the Russel's Reserve 10Y, that is my favorite regularly available, under $40 bourbon. It has a super delicious toffee, vanilla, caramel thing going on with just the right amount of spice. It's 90 proof & super smooth, and makes for a fantastic every day sipper IMO. It's $38 here (and often on sale for around $35). Finding a 10 year old bourbon of this quality at that price is an amazing bargain... especially considering how hard it has become recently to get your hands on Eagle Rare (which is also a 10 year old, 90 proof, easy drinking bourbon w/ a MSRP under around $35).

So if you're looking for something to drink a little more regularly, grab the RR10Y... but definitely give that KCSBR a go at some point as well.

3 hours ago, k-train said:

I recently made a rule for myself that I can only have anything I spent more than $40 on during the weekends.  That keeps me from blowing through the harder to find bottles and/or the barrel strength bourbons.

The Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve costs $49.99 here & is 120 proof, so for me that one gets reserved for weekends. It's amazing, but probably not something you'd roll with as an every day sipper. To my palate, it's got a lot of the same characteristics of the ECBP, just slightly less pronounced. It's basically Booker's that's been left in the barrel another 3 years. Considering Booker's is now being sold for $90 vs $50 for this, it makes this one that much more of a steal. Knowing you enjoyed the ECBP, this would probably be a good one for you to try, but again... also not something for everyday drinking. Also, because it's a single barrel release, it's going to vary a bit from bottle to bottle. Sometimes you get ones that seem unbelievably fantastic (aka bottles from a "honey barrel"), and then another bottle you pick up a few months later might still be very good, but a little underwhelming by comparison.

As for the Russel's Reserve 10Y, that is my favorite regularly available, under $40 bourbon. It has a super delicious toffee, vanilla, caramel thing going on with just the right amount of spice. It's 90 proof & super smooth, and makes for a fantastic every day sipper IMO. It's $38 here (and often on sale for around $35). Finding a 10 year old bourbon of this quality at that price is an amazing bargain... especially considering how hard it has become recently to get your hands on Eagle Rare (which is also a 10 year old, 90 proof, easy drinking bourbon w/ a MSRP under around $35).

So if you're looking for something to drink a little more regularly, grab the RR10Y... but definitely give that KCSBR a go at some point as well.

Awesome!

That's a good rule and one that I will be adopting. I'll look for a bottle of the RR10Y. Love toffee, vanilla, and caramel.....

Thanks bud!!

On 8/9/2020 at 1:09 PM, k-train said:

I was honestly shocked to still see the A120 there, and especially to see how many bottles were left. I was sooooo close to grabbing it, but with only one bottle of the B520 left I had to go that route instead. I may just have to go back after payday and try to snag one of those A120s (if they're still there at that point) so I can compare the two.

From all the reviews I've seen, the consensus on the A120 seems to be that being 136.6 proof, it comes off as a little too hot for most folks & it doesn't do as good of a job in masking the alcohol compared to the B520. I've seen folks who've had both mention that the nose is pretty similar on the two, but the A120 has a more oak forward taste vs. the sweeter caramel, brown sugar forward taste of the B520. Overall, I've seen most people agree that you really can't go wrong with either, but most generally agree that the B520 is more well balanced than the A120.

I'd love to get my hands on it to see for myself. Then again, the C920 rolls out technically in a month... so maybe I hold out for that instead??? Although, it probably won't actually be in the stores until October or November. Perhaps I need to get all three!

I tried the A120 when it came out. It IS very hot. I didn't love it (though it was good) but kind of wish I could try it again for comparison. You should grab that bottle while you can!

I went into my shop on Saturday and they had 12 B520s on the shelf. I couldn't believe it. Might grab another next time I want to splurge but you're right, the September bottle is right around the corner and I'm very curious to see what that's like. 

1 minute ago, DawgBone said:

I tried the A120 when it came out. It IS very hot. I didn't love it (though it was good) but kind of wish I could try it again for comparison. You should grab that bottle while you can!

I went into my shop on Saturday and they had 12 B520s on the shelf. I couldn't believe it. Might grab another next time I want to splurge but you're right, the September bottle is right around the corner and I'm very curious to see what that's like. 

The one shop that I’ve found the B520 at had between 8-10 bottles the last time I was in. I’m going to get another bottle. I still can’t believe that there’s that many left...

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

The one shop that I’ve found the B520 at had between 8-10 bottles the last time I was in. I’m going to get another bottle. I still can’t believe that there’s that many left...

Not sure how it is where you all are, but here in NC it seems like the ABC stores got their allotment of B520 in at least two batches... the initial batch happened a few months ago (that's when I got my first bottle), and then there was none to be found here anywhere until they just got another shipment in about a week ago.

What's really curious to me is all that A120 showing up at my neighborhood store as well. I don't recall from previous years, but perhaps they hold back a little of the previous batches & then send those out along with the latest one. If that's the case, then they may send out even more B520 once the C920 is out. Or maybe that A120 originally went out to stores that never moved it & so the Abc stores sent it out to bigger market stores once the B520 came in for the second time in hopes that it might get sold in those stores.

17 hours ago, k-train said:

Not sure how it is where you all are, but here in NC it seems like the ABC stores got their allotment of B520 in at least two batches... the initial batch happened a few months ago (that's when I got my first bottle), and then there was none to be found here anywhere until they just got another shipment in about a week ago.

What's really curious to me is all that A120 showing up at my neighborhood store as well. I don't recall from previous years, but perhaps they hold back a little of the previous batches & then send those out along with the latest one. If that's the case, then they may send out even more B520 once the C920 is out. Or maybe that A120 originally went out to stores that never moved it & so the Abc stores sent it out to bigger market stores once the B520 came in for the second time in hopes that it might get sold in those stores.

I'm in GA and I think it's pretty much every liquor store for themselves. Although I'm sure they're regulated, I believe they are free to purchase whatever they can get from their distributors....

Found the RR10Y today at the shop that also always seems to have Buffalo Trace. Needless to say I bought one of each. Will probably crack the seal on the RR10Y since I have an open bottle of Buffalo Trace that is my usual sipper. I'll give you my thoughts tomorrow @k-train

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

The guy who rang me up when I was buying that B520 a few days ago wasn't very familiar with bourbon, but mentioned that he got himself a bottle of Buffalo Trace after a customer suggested he try it. I told him he's lucky he got one, and he agreed, pointing out that they were wiped out as soon as they got them on the shelf... literally gone in minutes.

I'm in GA and I think it's pretty much every liquor store for themselves. Although I'm sure they're regulated, I believe they are free to purchase whatever they can get from their distributors....

Yeah, in non-control states, the independent stores often have to get into the game of buying a bunch of stuff they don't necessarily want in order to have a better chance at getting the allotted stuff. So a store that gets a good amount of stuff like WL Weller, George T. Stagg, Pappy, etc., and also normally seems to have Eagle Rare & Buffalo Trace in stock is almost certainly scratching the back of the distributor who handles the Sazarac products for that area. This usually comes in the form of buying several cases of one of the company's lesser products and giving it a prominent display in the store.

In addition to the great bourbons made by Buffalo Trace Distillery, Sazarac also owns brands like 1792, Ancient Age, Benchmark, Southern Comfort, Very Old Barton, Kentucky Gentleman, Ten High, Fireball, and more
+
A bunch of Canadian and blended whisky brands
+
A bunch of vodka brands like Skol, Firefly, Wheatley, Nikolai, etc.
+
A bunch of bad tequilas: Margaritaville, Monte Alban, Montezuma, Corazon, etc.
+
A bunch of bad gins & rums

So if you see a good bit of that stuff in the store, especially if any of it seems to be kinda featured with a display, that's probably why they're able to get Buffalo Trace products with regularity compared to most other places.

Here's a pretty interesting interview with a guy who's been on both sides of that coin... a former rep for a large distributor who now owns his own liquor store:
https://bourbonpursuit.com/2020/01/16/236-how-the-distribution-game-is-played-with-mike-bridges/

3 hours ago, k-train said:

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

The guy who rang me up when I was buying that B520 a few days ago wasn't very familiar with bourbon, but mentioned that he got himself a bottle of Buffalo Trace after a customer suggested he try it. I told him he's lucky he got one, and he agreed, pointing out that they were wiped out as soon as they got them on the shelf... literally gone in minutes.

Opened the RR10Y tonight and drank it neat. Verrrrry good. Actually think I like it better than the Buffalo Trace. A lot of character (I still have trouble identifying specific flavors), but smooth without being too smooth.....if that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Appreciate the recommendation. Nice to find another quality sipper. 

On 8/11/2020 at 9:18 PM, Goober Pyle said:

Opened the RR10Y tonight and drank it neat. Verrrrry good. Actually think I like it better than the Buffalo Trace. A lot of character (I still have trouble identifying specific flavors), but smooth without being too smooth.....if that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Appreciate the recommendation. Nice to find another quality sipper. 

My pleasure & really glad you like it!

I agree that it's better than Buffalo Trace, and that's largely because I find it to be more well-balanced. While it has that caramel, toffee, vanilla sweetness, it's also got a bit of spice & a touch of oak; it's got a pleasant amount of richness to it as well, making it smooth & easy to drink without seeming thin.

On the other hand, Buffalo Trace is kind of one-dimensional IMO... just sweetness without much else going on enough to balance it out. Don't get me wrong, it's delicious, easy to drink, and great for the price (if you can find it), but for me it's a step below things like Russell's Reserve 10Y and Eagle Rare.

I find the whole story behind Russell's Reserve & the man it's named for is pretty cool, too. It really adds personality to it in a way you just don't find with most other products.