Bourbon lovers come in here

lostone

7 hours ago, k-train said:

To be completely honest, Pappy really ain't worth the hype or the price tag IMO. While I do feel fortunate that I was actually able to try it once upon a time, and it is undoubtable really, really good... it's just seriously not soooo much better than a ton of other really good bourbons that it justifies the kind of hype and/or price surrounding it.

If you were wanting to get something in that general ballpark, you could always just spend a few hundred on the secondary market to pick up a bottle of Weller Antique 107 & a bottle of Weller 12 year. If you're somehow lucky enough to find these at retail, it'd be about $60-$100 total, but finding them at that price these days is like winning the lottery. Blend those two together & you have what's called "Poor Man's Pappy"... since it's the same bourbon Buffalo Trace uses to make Pappy, but just not aged as long.

Yeah i had never heard of it until my buddy over in Garner told me about it. Speaking of lottery he said there is one at the abc stores just for the right to purchase PVW. And at select stores. And they didnt really advertise it. And there was limited stock. 

as for me id try some of their 40 dollar stuff. I think its old man winkle. 

4 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Yeah i had never heard of it until my buddy over in Garner told me about it. Speaking of lottery he said there is one at the abc stores just for the right to purchase PVW. And at select stores. And they didnt really advertise it. And there was limited stock. 

as for me id try some of their 40 dollar stuff. I think its old man winkle. 

Yeah, the ABC store lottery for Pappy is actually why I was able to try it. One of my friends owns a bar in Carrboro that won a chance to buy it via the lottery for the Orange County ABC stores.

Now they have started doing those lotteries with a bunch of other highly sought after bourbons & some of the special/limited releases.

Here's what the suggested retail price on the Pappy line was supposed to be in 2019:

$69.99 - Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof
$79.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old
$119.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year Old
$119.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old
$199.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old
$299.90 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

Sadly, you're more likely to catch a Leprechaun while riding a unicorn over a rainbow than you are to finding anything related to the Pappy line at those prices.

These are the lowest prices from the secondary market site Drizly:
$500 - Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof
$700 – Old Rip Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old
$1500 – Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year Old
$1400 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old
$2000 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old
$2600 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

And as you said - the product doesn't even come close to meriting that price. Good, sure. But $2,000 good? 

If you try the Larceny B520 please let us know what you think. My shop had a few bottles last time I was in there, but I went for the EC instead. In fact, they still had a few EC B520. I really might have to go and pick up another of these. 

2 minutes ago, DawgBone said:

And as you said - the product doesn't even come close to meriting that price. Good, sure. But $2,000 good? 

If you try the Larceny B520 please let us know what you think. My shop had a few bottles last time I was in there, but I went for the EC instead. In fact, they still had a few EC B520. I really might have to go and pick up another of these. 

I'll definitely let you all know my thoughts on the Larceny BP B520 if I do in fact get my hands on it soon. Good call on stockpiling the ECBP B520 , too. I've been meaning to do the same.

46 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yeah, the ABC store lottery for Pappy is actually why I was able to try it. One of my friends owns a bar in Carrboro that won a chance to buy it via the lottery for the Orange County ABC stores.

Now they have started doing those lotteries with a bunch of other highly sought after bourbons & some of the special/limited releases.

Here's what the suggested retail price on the Pappy line was supposed to be in 2019:

$69.99 - Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof
$79.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old
$119.99 – Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year Old
$119.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old
$199.99 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old
$299.90 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

Sadly, you're more likely to catch a Leprechaun while riding a unicorn over a rainbow than you are to finding anything related to the Pappy line at those prices.

These are the lowest prices from the secondary market site Drizly:
$500 - Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 Year Old 107 proof
$700 – Old Rip Van Winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old
$1500 – Old Rip Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year Old
$1400 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 15 Year Old
$2000 - Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 20 Year Old
$2600 – Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve Bourbon 23 Year Old

Well i tell ya what. If you get one...let me know :)  And ill be right over. Otherwise  ill just stick to what i know...and that includes Makers and ginger. 

39 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Well i tell ya what. If you get one...let me know :)  And ill be right over. Otherwise  ill just stick to what i know...and that includes Makers and ginger. 

If you like the flavor profile of Maker's (which is a wheated bourbon), and wanted to try something nicer to sip on, you probably actually would enjoy some of the stuff lower down on the Pappy family tree... like Weller Antique, Weller 12 year, etc.

The problem is that because the Pappy line is so hyped up & not many folks can get their hands on it, all the other things made by the same distillery (Buffalo Trace Distillery) start gaining popularity too, and are often bought up the second they hit the shelves (or they don't ever hit the shelves because they are also only offered via lottery or VIP list). It doesn't help that the parent company (Sazerac) seems to be purposefully limiting how much they release in order to create low supply/high demand for things they previously sold for $25-$40, like the Weller line, Elmer T. Lee, EH Taylor, etc. That's allowed them to justify raising the prices considerably on nearly all of their bourbons. Now that they've used their brilliant marketing strategy to make people pay more than they did just a few years ago, they know that literally anything they release is likely going to have a ton of buzz and will sell immediately for whatever they want to charge. That's allowed them to create a bunch of new versions of all their bourbons, so they can cash in big time.

Their most recent thing has been to make two Kosher bourbons. One is the same mash bill used to make Weller & Pappy. The retail price on that is very reasonable considering, but I can't help to think the whole thing is BS. I mean, is there REALLY that much of a demand for a Kosher wheated bourbon that a company that big felt the need to create one? Or is it more likely that they have a ton of leftover wheated bourbon due to the fact they purposefully don't make enough Weller in order to artificially create demand & justify price hikes, and this was a way to still sell it without their tactics seeming quite as obvious? It just seems sketchy to me. But if you can find it, getting a bottle of the wheated Kosher bourbon might be the most realistically affordable/obtainable option for trying something using the Pappy/Weller mash bill.

Another allegedly crappy thing Sazarac is doing with their products made at the Buffalo Trace distillery is limiting allotment to states & stores based on how much those places ordered their products in the past. So if you live in an ABC-controlled state that didn't historically buy a ton of Blanton's, Elemer T. Lee, Weller, Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, Buffalo Trace, etc., it may be even harder to get your hands on that stuff now.

I LOVE a lot of the stuff made by the Buffalo Trace distillery, but I can't stand they way they are operating. Fromm a business perspective, I totally understand it... but I still think it sucks.

Thus, I like to seek out other more available, more affordable options.

With that in mind, if you were feeling bold & wanted to taste a higher proof wheater, the Larceny Barrel Proof batch B520 I mentioned a few times earlier in this thread might be a good bet. It's likely to be about $55 and is said to be significantly better than the Makers Mark Cask Strength, and is pretty comparable to the higher proof offerings in the Weller line.

2 hours ago, k-train said:

If you like the flavor profile of Maker's (which is a wheated bourbon), and wanted to try something nicer to sip on, you probably actually would enjoy some of the stuff lower down on the Pappy family tree... like Weller Antique, Weller 12 year, etc.

The problem is that because the Pappy line is so hyped up & not many folks can get their hands on it, all the other things made by the same distillery (Buffalo Trace Distillery) start gaining popularity too, and are often bought up the second they hit the shelves (or they don't ever hit the shelves because they are also only offered via lottery or VIP list). It doesn't help that the parent company (Sazerac) seems to be purposefully limiting how much they release in order to create low supply/high demand for things they previously sold for $25-$40, like the Weller line, Elmer T. Lee, EH Taylor, etc. That's allowed them to justify raising the prices considerably on nearly all of their bourbons. Now that they've used their brilliant marketing strategy to make people pay more than they did just a few years ago, they know that literally anything they release is likely going to have a ton of buzz and will sell immediately for whatever they want to charge. That's allowed them to create a bunch of new versions of all their bourbons, so they can cash in big time.

Their most recent thing has been to make two Kosher bourbons. One is the same mash bill used to make Weller & Pappy. The retail price on that is very reasonable considering, but I can't help to think the whole thing is BS. I mean, is there REALLY that much of a demand for a Kosher wheated bourbon that a company that big felt the need to create one? Or is it more likely that they have a ton of leftover wheated bourbon due to the fact they purposefully don't make enough Weller in order to artificially create demand & justify price hikes, and this was a way to still sell it without their tactics seeming quite as obvious? It just seems sketchy to me. But if you can find it, getting a bottle of the wheated Kosher bourbon might be the most realistically affordable/obtainable option for trying something using the Pappy/Weller mash bill.

Another allegedly crappy thing Sazarac is doing with their products made at the Buffalo Trace distillery is limiting allotment to states & stores based on how much those places ordered their products in the past. So if you live in an ABC-controlled state that didn't historically buy a ton of Blanton's, Elemer T. Lee, Weller, Eagle Rare, EH Taylor, Buffalo Trace, etc., it may be even harder to get your hands on that stuff now.

I LOVE a lot of the stuff made by the Buffalo Trace distillery, but I can't stand they way they are operating. Fromm a business perspective, I totally understand it... but I still think it sucks.

Thus, I like to seek out other more available, more affordable options.

With that in mind, if you were feeling bold & wanted to taste a higher proof wheater, the Larceny Barrel Proof batch B520 I mentioned a few times earlier in this thread might be a good bet. It's likely to be about $55 and is said to be significantly better than the Makers Mark Cask Strength, and is pretty comparable to the higher proof offerings in the Weller line.

I have enjoyed Buffalo Trace as well and was able to luck into a bottle in May at a liquor store in a neighboring town. The owner told me that he usually gets 6 bottles from the distributor and they sell quickly - despite allowing only 1 bottle per customer. I haven't been able to find another bottle at that store, nor any other in any of the areas I've been working in UNTIL - I hit one of my usual haunts. For some reason, I had not checked their bourbon aisle lately. The Buffalo Trace area was full AND no buying restrictions. I bought 2 bottles and expected the owner to tell me no, but no worries. Stopped in again this week to get some beer and decided to check on the Buffalo Trace....full again. Not sure why it's not selling out in this area as it's pretty populated and a higher income area as well. Not complaining as it's like having my own hidey hole....

3 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

I have enjoyed Buffalo Trace as well and was able to luck into a bottle in May at a liquor store in a neighboring town. The owner told me that he usually gets 6 bottles from the distributor and they sell quickly - despite allowing only 1 bottle per customer. I haven't been able to find another bottle at that store, nor any other in any of the areas I've been working in UNTIL - I hit one of my usual haunts. For some reason, I had not checked their bourbon aisle lately. The Buffalo Trace area was full AND no buying restrictions. I bought 2 bottles and expected the owner to tell me no, but no worries. Stopped in again this week to get some beer and decided to check on the Buffalo Trace....full again. Not sure why it's not selling out in this area as it's pretty populated and a higher income area as well. Not complaining as it's like having my own hidey hole....

Safeguard that spot, my man & don't tell anyone about it (except me 😆).

8 hours ago, k-train said:

feeling bold & wanted to taste a higher proof wheater, the Larceny Barrel Proof batch B520

i feel bold every time i walk into an abc store.  still lots of peeps and they are all masked up.  they wont let covid stop them.  i like the abc stores...easier to get in and out, not so big...like the package stores we had in atl.  

but thanks for the recommendation.  ill have to try it out next time.

6 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

i feel bold every time i walk into an abc store.  still lots of peeps and they are all masked up.  they wont let covid stop them.  i like the abc stores...easier to get in and out, not so big...like the package stores we had in atl.  

but thanks for the recommendation.  ill have to try it out next time.

How great will it be if we find out the vaccine for COVID-19 is actually just a couple ounces of Wild Turkey Rare Breed or something like that?

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

How great will it be if we find out the vaccine for COVID-19 is actually just a couple ounces of Wild Turkey Rare Breed or something like that?

oh man..oh man...

speaking of..i do like Wild Turkey honey on the rocks.  its like candy

Stopped by the ABC store today on the way home from work, and was hoping to finally pick up the Larceny Barrel Proof B520 and/or another bottle of the ECBP B520. Unfortunately, they were wiped out of both.

So, I went with plan B... something that has been on my to-do list for a while now, but always seemed to have gotten brushed aside for other things.0-1.jpeg.b43a6ba62d5cdd120e9b57d27dc3dd8b.jpeg
Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style (115 proof)
I'd been hearing lots of great things about this one since it came out a few years ago, but like I said, I just never got around to picking up a bottle until now. For those not familiar with this one, Old Forester came out with four different bourbons as part of their "Whiskey Row" collection to celebrate the heritage of bourbon. Each of the bourbons in this series are based on bourbons made during landmark times for the Old Forester brand. This particular expression was the third one released. It's modeled after the bourbon Old Forester produced during Prohibition. Old Forester's parent company, Brown-Forman,  was one of just six distilleries in Kentucky that were granted permits to bottle bourbon for medicinal purposes during Prohibition. The first bottles under this permit were produced in 1920.

After just the initial pour, I gotta say I find a lot of the reviews pretty spot-on. I don't really get a whole lot of sweet vanilla, caramel, corn, peanut, spice or oak that you typically get with bourbon. Instead, it's got a heavy presence of dark chocolate & a hint of bananas on the nose. Those flavors come through even more on the palate, with a bit of barrel char & maybe some coffee, nuttiness, and possibly a bit of bread pudding. While this isn't technically a barrel proof bourbon, it's bottled at 115 proof (to match what the bourbon would've been bottled at straight from the barrel in 1920). So it's hot & it let's you know that immediately with some interesting tongue tingling to accompany the burst of rich flavors. There's a touch of spice on the finish which doesn't seem particularly long to me, but is simple & very pleasant. I've seen people mention this as a great dessert bourbon, and I think that totally makes a lot of sense to me now that I've tried it.

6 hours ago, k-train said:

Stopped by the ABC store today on the way home from work, and was hoping to finally pick up the Larceny Barrel Proof B520 and/or another bottle of the ECBP B520. Unfortunately, they were wiped out of both.

So, I went with plan B... something that has been on my to-do list for a while now, but always seemed to have gotten brushed aside for other things.0-1.jpeg.b43a6ba62d5cdd120e9b57d27dc3dd8b.jpeg
I'd been hearing lots of great things about this one since it came out a few years ago, but like I said, I just never got around to picking up a bottle until now. For those not familiar with this one, Old Forester came out with four different bourbons as part of their "Whiskey Row" collection to celebrate the heritage of bourbon. Each of the bourbons in this series are based on bourbons made during landmark times for the Old Forester brand. This particular expression was the third one released. It's modeled after the bourbon Old Forester produced during Prohibition. Old Forester's parent company, Brown-Forman,  was one of just six distilleries in Kentucky that were granted permits to bottle bourbon for medicinal purposes during Prohibition. The first bottles under this permit were produced in 1920.

After just the initial pour, I gotta say I find a lot of the reviews pretty spot-on. I don't really get a whole lot of sweet vanilla, caramel, corn, peanut, spice or oak that you typically get with bourbon. Instead, it's got a heavy presence of dark chocolate & a hint of bananas on the nose. Those flavors come through even more on the palate, with a bit of barrel char & maybe some coffee, nuttiness, and possibly a bit of bread pudding. While this isn't technically a barrel proof bourbon, it's bottled at 115 proof (to match what the bourbon would've been bottled at straight from the barrel in 1920). So it's hot & it let's you know that immediately with some interesting tongue tingling to accompany the burst of rich flavors. There's a touch of spice on the finish which doesn't seem particularly long to me, but is simple & very pleasant. I've seen people mention this as a great dessert bourbon, and I think that totally makes a lot of sense to me now that I've tried it.

That one is a favorite.  Theres some sweetness to it but more of a baking spice flavor to me than caramel.

8 hours ago, k-train said:

The liquor store that I bought the ECBP B520 from had maybe 8-10 more bottles on the shelf. If we could figure out a way to get it safely to you, I’d pick you up a bottle or two. 

5 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

The liquor store that I bought the ECBP B520 from had maybe 8-10 more bottles on the shelf. If we could figure out a way to get it safely to you, I’d pick you up a bottle or two. 

Thanks so much for for the offer, my man! That is beyond nice & I am super grateful. 

I’ve still got a few other ABC stores near me to check with but it seems like the cat’s well out of the bag on those two bourbons at this point. So, I’m not too optimistic that I’ll have much luck at any of these other stores either. If I come up short in my quest again, I just may PM you to see if there’s a way we can work something out.

6 hours ago, Brewyerown said:

That one is a favorite.  Theres some sweetness to it but more of a baking spice flavor to me than caramel.

Agreed. Still just getting into the bottle but like I mentioned before, those typical notes of caramel & vanilla seem to be way in the distance in this.

I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I tried it, so it could open up a bit. I have seen some folks mention that this one does tend to take a little longer to open up than most, so I’ll probably let it sit for a little longer before diving in next time.

I added a few drops of water to it as well, and that brought out some nice richness.

I’ve also heard that this bourbon opens up a good bit as you work down the bottle, and thus there’s new flavors being introduced (or certain flavors becoming more present) nearly each time you drink it. It’s already off to a really delicious start so I’m looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

16 hours ago, k-train said:

I’ve wanted to try this forever 

26 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

My close friend just gave me a HG of Woodford Reserve. I’m not a bourbon expert but is it suppose to be good stuff? He thinks so lol and I did too last Saturday night/ Sunday 4am lol

Woodford Reserve has become increasingly popular in recent years and it’s not bad by any means. Personally, I just find it to be kinda boring for my tastes, so I never really drink it. That said, it is well balanced so it can be a good starting point for someone looking to get into bourbon. The Double Oaked version is far better IMO but even that’s a little shy of being something I’d consider great, just really solid. 

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Woodford Reserve has become increasingly popular in recent years and it’s not bad by any means. Personally, I just find it to be kinda boring for my tastes, so I never really drink it. That said, it is well balanced so it can be a good starting point for someone looking to get into bourbon. The Double Oaked version is far better IMO but even that’s a little shy of being something I’d consider great, just really solid. 

My brother’s in-laws give him a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked for his birthday every year. It’s a good gift and one he appreciates, but it’s not a bourbon he’s crazy about. He’s mentioned the strong char taste as well as a chocolate flavor. I’ve never had this bourbon, but really have no desire to try it based on his recommendations. I’m trying to get him to get a bottle of Buffalo Trace or the ECBP or ECSB if he comes across it.  

3 hours ago, k-train said:

Thanks so much for for the offer, my man! That is beyond nice & I am super grateful. 

I’ve still got a few other ABC stores near me to check with but it seems like the cat’s well out of the bag on those two bourbons at this point. So, I’m not too optimistic that I’ll have much luck at any of these other stores either. If I come up short in my quest again, I just may PM you to see if there’s a way we can work something out.

Anytime! Just let me know and I’ll be glad to do it. 

I'm about to do a blind taste using the six bourbons I have on the shelf right now.

ECBP B520
-vs-
ECSB
-vs-
Angel's Envy
-vs-
Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve
-vs-
Evan Williams BIB
-vs-
Old Forester 1920

My wife if pouring them now so that I have no idea what's in each glass. Gonna give 'em about 15 minutes to open up & then start tasting. Drinking all of them neat. One pass through then a short break and a pass back through in the opposite order. From there, I'll a/b them until I narrow it down & come up with my ranking. I have an idea which ones will probably end up in the top spots, but you just never know.