Bourbon lovers come in here

lostone

Barrell Bourbon - Batch 28
Parent Company/Distillery: Barrell Craft Spirits/Sourced from distillers in Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee
Proof: 108.86 (54.43% ABV)
Price: $89.95

ME1CIVV_o.jpg

Nose: Peach/apricot is the first thing that stands out to me on the nose. That is accompanied by a light vanilla which reminds me of cupcakes, a little bit of caramel, and a baked goods note which comes off like pie crust. There’s a small amount of baking spice here as well, but otherwise this isn’t particularly spicy on the nose. Altogether, those aromas combine to give off big time fruit pie vibes. Way in the background of everything else, I get a bit of super sweet, dark fruit acidity; similar to what you find on certain red wines. There’s a faint woodiness going on, but nothing too prominent. Interestingly, it doesn’t really smell like oak, but I can’t quite get enough of a read on it to pinpoint it otherwise. Cedar, perhaps? Not too much ethanol going on once it opens up, but it does smell like a strong bourbon. Pretty interesting/unique overall, with a bit of a dessert bourbon vibe going on… not in the rich & decadent way of something like Old Forester 1910, but rather in a much more bright & fruity manner.

Palate: Richness arrives on the palate as burnt brown sugar caramel mixes with a toasted nuttiness that’s almost like pecan pie. That said, this is still very fruit forward, with the apricot/peach note from the nose now leaning more toward syrupy Luxardo cherries. Plenty of sweetness going on, but it never becomes cloying. Bits of tobacco, indistinguishable wood, leather & barrel influence come through, adding to the complexity. Spices lay low here, but cinnamon & pepper can be coaxed out by chewing. The mouthfeel on this one is full-bodied. Nice complexity & really well balanced with extremely complementary flavors.

Finish: The transition from the palate to the finish is so seamless it’s kind of difficult to really pinpoint what’s what. It really just feels like an extension of the same complexity found on the palate carrying over until it eventually fades away. The only distinguishable difference is the levels to which each note stands out at this phase. The peppery spice has become more prominent, along with a strong sense of that woody note… now showing its true identity to be oak. There’s an almost bitter note, likely from the tannins, which reminds me a lot of Angostura bitters. There’s also a slight orange/lemon rind bitterness going on. The caramel carries though, and combines with everything else to provide a cola note. It starts out seeming like it will just be of medium length, but then seems to get a second wind & stretches out into a lengthy process.

Overall: This was my first time trying anything from Barrell, and this particular batch has proven to be an interesting experience. It flows nicely from stage to stage, showing off an array of pleasant flavors along the way. I’m not sure I’ll find myself going to this one regularly, but when I’m in the mood for something a little unique, this seems like a perfect way to scratch that itch.

Score: 7.5/10

19 hours ago, k-train said:

Barrell Bourbon - Batch 28
Parent Company/Distillery: Barrell Craft Spirits/Sourced from distillers in Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee
Proof: 108.86 (54.43% ABV)
Price: $89.95

ME1CIVV_o.jpg

Nose: Peach/apricot is the first thing that stands out to me on the nose. That is accompanied by a light vanilla which reminds me of cupcakes, a little bit of caramel, and a baked goods note which comes off like pie crust. There’s a small amount of baking spice here as well, but otherwise this isn’t particularly spicy on the nose. Altogether, those aromas combine to give off big time fruit pie vibes. Way in the background of everything else, I get a bit of super sweet, dark fruit acidity; similar to what you find on certain red wines. There’s a faint woodiness going on, but nothing too prominent. Interestingly, it doesn’t really smell like oak, but I can’t quite get enough of a read on it to pinpoint it otherwise. Cedar, perhaps? Not too much ethanol going on once it opens up, but it does smell like a strong bourbon. Pretty interesting/unique overall, with a bit of a dessert bourbon vibe going on… not in the rich & decadent way of something like Old Forester 1910, but rather in a much more bright & fruity manner.

Palate: Richness arrives on the palate as burnt brown sugar caramel mixes with a toasted nuttiness that’s almost like pecan pie. That said, this is still very fruit forward, with the apricot/peach note from the nose now leaning more toward syrupy Luxardo cherries. Plenty of sweetness going on, but it never becomes cloying. Bits of tobacco, indistinguishable wood, leather & barrel influence come through, adding to the complexity. Spices lay low here, but cinnamon & pepper can be coaxed out by chewing. The mouthfeel on this one is full-bodied. Nice complexity & really well balanced with extremely complementary flavors.

Finish: The transition from the palate to the finish is so seamless it’s kind of difficult to really pinpoint what’s what. It really just feels like an extension of the same complexity found on the palate carrying over until it eventually fades away. The only distinguishable difference is the levels to which each note stands out at this phase. The peppery spice has become more prominent, along with a strong sense of that woody note… now showing its true identity to be oak. There’s an almost bitter note, likely from the tannins, which reminds me a lot of Angostura bitters. There’s also a slight orange/lemon rind bitterness going on. The caramel carries though, and combines with everything else to provide a cola note. It starts out seeming like it will just be of medium length, but then seems to get a second wind & stretches out into a lengthy process.

Overall: This was my first time trying anything from Barrell, and this particular batch has proven to be an interesting experience. It flows nicely from stage to stage, showing off an array of pleasant flavors along the way. I’m not sure I’ll find myself going to this one regularly, but when I’m in the mood for something a little unique, this seems like a perfect way to scratch that itch.

Score: 7.5/10

Appreciate the review @k-train . Another bourbon I’ve not heard of, but am interested in checking out. 

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

Appreciate the review @k-train . Another bourbon I’ve not heard of, but am interested in checking out. 

I’ve been curious about trying their stuff for a while, but was initially scared off by the price tag. Seemed like a lot to pay for something from a non-distilling producer. However, they really do seem to know what they’re doing in terms of sourcing & then blending well-aged, high quality bourbons. This bottle was a birthday gift, so it allowed me an excellent opportunity to get my feet wet without the financial concern of investing that much for something I’d never had.

Obviously by nature of how they put together each release, there is a good amount of variation from batch to batch, and thus some are generally perceived as being better than others.

So i wouldn’t suggest just blindly picking up the first one you come across. But if you do some research & figure out that there’s a batch which sounds like it should mesh well with your preferences, it may be worth trying. As always, better still if you can try it at a restaurant or bar before committing to the purchase of a $90 bottle.

ME1DWCO_o.jpg
Henry McKenna 10Y Single Barrel Bottled In Bond Showdown
Barrel #9995 -vs- Barrel #9998

After not having any of this since around 2017, I picked up a bottle not long ago & thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that when I was in the same store a week or two later, I picked up another bottle. I noticed that the barreled on date for both bottles was the same (8/28/09) & the barrel numbers were very, very close. So I thought it would fun to do a blind side by side tasting to see whether or not they were similar.

Glass A
Nose: Vibrant & fruity with black cherry jumping out of the glass. The nose on this seems significantly brighter than Glass B. There are very nice aromas of caramel & a little vanilla going on, too. Very inviting.

Palate: Semi-rich caramel leads the way. Not nearly as fruity on the palate as I was expecting based on the nose, but it’s still there to a lesser degree. Leather, oak, and tobacco add welcomed balance to the sweeter notes. Medium mouthfeel.

Finish: Pretty long, building peppery spice with sweet oak & caramel/vanilla undertones. It doesn’t meet the level of intensity or length that is found on Glass B though.

Overall: This is a bit on the sweeter side compared to Glass B, but does have some nice balance and is just really, really easy to drink. I remember the first bottle I purchased (#9995) being outstanding, while the second bottle seemed just a slight step below, so my guess id that this is #9995.

Glass B
Nose: Similar to Glass A, but not nearly as vibrant or fruity. This one leans more on the darker notes, specifically dark caramel with some oak, leather, and a touch of vanilla.

Palate: Buttery sweet caramel hits first, before a raw almond/pecan nuttiness shows up along with a bit of oak. It’s nice, but seems less balanced/complex comparatively. The mouthfeel on this one seems thinner than Glass A as well.

Finish: This has the same building black pepper spice over the oak & caramel backdrop. However, everything seems cranked up a notch or two on this one, which really takes it to another level & makes it super enjoyable.

Overall: This is a solid bottle, but it does seem to fall below the bar Glass A set in a few areas. Therefore, my speculation is that this is barrel #9998.

Scoring: (0-5 for nose, palate, finish; then added to calculate final score)
Glass A
nose 4
palate 5
finish 3
total score 12

Glass B
nose 3
palate 3
finish 5
total score 11

Winner: Glass A

Reveal
Glass A: Barrel #9998

Glass B: Barrel #9995

Final thoughts: While there were definitely some noticeable similarities between the two, it was pretty wild to see just how much difference there really can be from barrel to barrel… even when they were so close to one another in number. I was sure Glass A was going to be the first bottle I purchased since I had it in my mind that it was a bit better than the bottle I purchased later, but that seems to perhaps not have been the case after all. These are both plenty delicious, but the #9998 is a crushable bottle… with a bit more going on overall. If it had the finish from the #9995, it’d be almost perfect.

7 hours ago, k-train said:

ME1DWCO_o.jpg
Henry McKenna 10Y Single Barrel Bottled In Bond Showdown
Barrel #9995 -vs- Barrel #9998

After not having any of this since around 2017, I picked up a bottle not long ago & thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that when I was in the same store a week or two later, I picked up another bottle. I noticed that the barreled on date for both bottles was the same (8/28/09) & the barrel numbers were very, very close. So I thought it would fun to do a blind side by side tasting to see whether or not they were similar.

Glass A
Nose: Vibrant & fruity with black cherry jumping out of the glass. The nose on this seems significantly brighter than Glass B. There are very nice aromas of caramel & a little vanilla going on, too. Very inviting.

Palate: Semi-rich caramel leads the way. Not nearly as fruity on the palate as I was expecting based on the nose, but it’s still there to a lesser degree. Leather, oak, and tobacco add welcomed balance to the sweeter notes. Medium mouthfeel.

Finish: Pretty long, building peppery spice with sweet oak & caramel/vanilla undertones. It doesn’t meet the level of intensity or length that is found on Glass B though.

Overall: This is a bit on the sweeter side compared to Glass B, but does have some nice balance and is just really, really easy to drink. I remember the first bottle I purchased (#9995) being outstanding, while the second bottle seemed just a slight step below, so my guess id that this is #9995.

Glass B
Nose: Similar to Glass A, but not nearly as vibrant or fruity. This one leans more on the darker notes, specifically dark caramel with some oak, leather, and a touch of vanilla.

Palate: Buttery sweet caramel hits first, before a raw almond/pecan nuttiness shows up along with a bit of oak. It’s nice, but seems less balanced/complex comparatively. The mouthfeel on this one seems thinner than Glass A as well.

Finish: This has the same building black pepper spice over the oak & caramel backdrop. However, everything seems cranked up a notch or two on this one, which really takes it to another level & makes it super enjoyable.

Overall: This is a solid bottle, but it does seem to fall below the bar Glass A set in a few areas. Therefore, my speculation is that this is barrel #9998.

Scoring: (0-5 for nose, palate, finish; then added to calculate final score)
Glass A
nose 4
palate 5
finish 3
total score 12

Glass B
nose 3
palate 3
finish 5
total score 11

Winner: Glass A

Reveal
Glass A: Barrel #9998

Glass B: Barrel #9995

Final thoughts: While there were definitely some noticeable similarities between the two, it was pretty wild to see just how much difference there really can be from barrel to barrel… even when they were so close to one another in number. I was sure Glass A was going to be the first bottle I purchased since I had it in my mind that it was a bit better than the bottle I purchased later, but that seems to perhaps not have been the case after all. These are both plenty delicious, but the #9998 is a crushable bottle… with a bit more going on overall. If it had the finish from the #9995, it’d be almost perfect.

Really enjoy when you do these blind tasting comparisons. I can’t remember what barrels my last two bottles have come from - and where on vacation at the moment. I planned to bring a few bottles with me, but completely forgot about them until we got here. Headed to see what I can find tomorrow. Been a few nights since I’ve had what has become a nightly ritual. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

Really enjoy when you do these blind tasting comparisons. I can’t remember what barrels my last two bottles have come from - and where on vacation at the moment. I planned to bring a few bottles with me, but completely forgot about them until we got here. Headed to see what I can find tomorrow. Been a few nights since I’ve had what has become a nightly ritual. Lol. 

Thanks! I have a few more planned that I think could be interesting, but not sure when I’ll get around to them.

Getting to check out stores outside of your home base is a nice extra perk of vacation. Hope you’re able to snag a few nice bottles and have a great time wherever you are!

There are certain things that will just absolutely wreck your palate, and I think one of the worst has to be ice cream.

Every single time I have ice cream or frozen yogurt & then try to sip on something later that evening, it always makes things I know are really good taste like overly spicy, overly tannic bitter nightmares.

It’s like it just takes all the sweetness, the caramel, vanilla, etc. out of the bourbon, rum, or what have you, and just leaves behind a mouthful of unpleasantness.

Drinking within a few hours of brushing your teeth can be pretty awful as well.

On 6/27/2021 at 9:01 PM, k-train said:

Thanks! I have a few more planned that I think could be interesting, but not sure when I’ll get around to them.

Getting to check out stores outside of your home base is a nice extra perk of vacation. Hope you’re able to snag a few nice bottles and have a great time wherever you are!

Well, it was more miss than hit at the ABC store I stopped at yesterday. Tons of basic and flavored bourbons….good for mixing, not so much for sipping. I did get a bottle of RR10Y for $30 on sale, so I’ll score it as a win. 

As I was waiting to check out, one of the clerks sold their last bottle of Weller Special Reserve to a customer who asked for it. They had it hidden behind the counter. Lol. 

I did a search, but didn’t see if you’d reviewed this one. Have you had any Weller’s lately. I know it’s difficult to find. Just curious. 

2 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Well, it was more miss than hit at the ABC store I stopped at yesterday. Tons of basic and flavored bourbons….good for mixing, not so much for sipping. I did get a bottle of RR10Y for $30 on sale, so I’ll score it as a win. 

As I was waiting to check out, one of the clerks sold their last bottle of Weller Special Reserve to a customer who asked for it. They had it hidden behind the counter. Lol. 

I did a search, but didn’t see if you’d reviewed this one. Have you had any Weller’s lately. I know it’s difficult to find. Just curious. 

Weller Antique 107 is one of those which was always available here in NC for about $25 until about 5 years ago when Pappymania started to really blow up. The same with Weller 12. However, once folks realized that it is from the same line as the Van Winkle bourbons & heard they could make "Poor Man's Pappy" by mixing Weller 107 with Weller 12, they both became super allocated items. They occasionally get a few cases of each in stock these days, but they are almost always designated for grand openings of new ABC stores across the state. They've also doubled in price... but are still waaaaaaaaaaay below secondary market pricing.

It's been ages since I've had either, but my recollection was that they were fine, but no where even remotely worth chasing or paying a ton for.

As for Weller Special Reserve, it's the bottom of the barrel expression from the Weller line & is not very good at all. People who don't know any better get all googly eyed over it & buy that stuff just for the name. Truth is, you'd be better off buying a bottle of Larceny than WSR.

54 minutes ago, k-train said:

Weller Antique 107 is one of those which was always available here in NC for about $25 until about 5 years ago when Pappymania started to really blow up. The same with Weller 12. However, once folks realized that it is from the same line as the Van Winkle bourbons & heard they could make "Poor Man's Pappy" by mixing Weller 107 with Weller 12, they both became super allocated items. They occasionally get a few cases of each in stock these days, but they are almost always designated for grand openings of new ABC stores across the state. They've also doubled in price... but are still waaaaaaaaaaay below secondary market pricing.

It's been ages since I've had either, but my recollection was that they were fine, but no where even remotely worth chasing or paying a ton for.

As for Weller Special Reserve, it's the bottom of the barrel expression from the Weller line & is not very good at all. People who don't know any better get all googly eyed over it & buy that stuff just for the name. Truth is, you'd be better off buying a bottle of Larceny than WSR.

Thanks bud! That’s kinda what I figured. The clerk just kept gushing over it, even telling the folks that he had a bottle secured in his car and would’ve had two if they’d let him. Considering all the basic bourbon for sale in the store, I had my doubts about how good it’d be. 

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (NC Private Selection)
Parent Company/Distillery: Campari/Wild Turkey
Selected by: Eddie Russell
Barrel #: 20-0165
Bottled on: 08/25/20
Warehouse: E
Rick #: 4
Proof: 101 (50.5% ABV)
Price: $59.95

ME1M3SL_o.jpg

Nose: There is a lot more sweetness on the nose here than expected based on what I get from the non-pick, old fantail bottle Kentucky Spirit I have. Plenty of buttery caramel, toffee & vanilla up front with a nice dash of cinnamon & orange. I get a bit of a yeasty Wild Turkey funk note, along with some roasted pecans, corn, oak, leather, and tobacco. Understandably, this is like a slightly sweeter, more refined version of the WT101 nose. If you’ve ever had a dessert tamale, the blend of corn, cinnamon, caramel & vanilla found on this really brings that kind of thing to mind. Some days though, the buttery caramel, toffee & vanilla notes really stand out and make me think about those Brach’s Milk Maid Royal candies (the soft chewy, cylindrical ones in the colorful metallic wrappers). This offers a good amount of complexity & balance and just smells like it’s going to be extremely delicious.

Palate: Wonderful orange/cherry fruit notes mix seamlessly with rich caramel, vanilla, buttercream, and pralines over a backdrop of toasted oak. A touch of cinnamon adds some extra dimension, while also serving as a preview of the finish. Overall, this is very rich, well balanced, and has a pleasant, buttery, medium mouthfeel.

Finish: Somewhat gentle & medium in terms of length. Rich, sweet caramel & cinnamon fade into rye spice, black pepper & oak. It’s not particularly big, bold, or long, but it works well enough to not be a let down.

Overall: Each time I’ve had a pour of this, I’ve found myself liking it much more than I expected to. It seems to be getting better each time as well, so I’m hopeful that’s a trend that will continue. The balance on this from start to finish is fantastic. Not the most complex or unique expression ever, but it definitely comes across as an elevated version of the Wild Turkey profile… and to me, that’s a very good thing.

Score: 8.25/10

Remember a few posts back when I was talking about things we eat or drink that can wreck the palate? Well, I got another for that list. Made some vegetable fried rice this evening & soon realized everything I drank tonight tasted a bit off. I've had that happen a number of times now after eating Asian food. I know things with substantial amounts of garlic tend to be palate wreckers, so I guess that's not too surprising since so many Asian dishes tend to have a good amount of garlic & ginger.

I actually decided tonight that from here on out, when doing my tastings for a review, I'm going to start writing down what I ate for dinner. Not listing that in the reviews, but keeping track in my tasting notes. That way if I have a tasting that seems way off from the others (I typically do at least 2 tastings, usually 3 per review), I can see it that may have been due to outside influence from what I ate. Then I'll know I need to do an additional tasting with a non-wrecked palate before posting a comprehensive review.

12 hours ago, k-train said:

Remember a few posts back when I was talking about things we eat or drink that can wreck the palate? Well, I got another for that list. Made some vegetable fried rice this evening & soon realized everything I drank tonight tasted a bit off. I've had that happen a number of times now after eating Asian food. I know things with substantial amounts of garlic tend to be palate wreckers, so I guess that's not too surprising since so many Asian dishes tend to have a good amount of garlic & ginger.

Garlic throws mine off by a lot, and if it's ample garlic like some Italian food my palate takes a day or two to return to baseline. Cumin has a similar effect but lasts a few hours at most.

1 minute ago, Brewyerown said:

Garlic throws mine off by a lot, and if it's ample garlic like some Italian food my palate takes a day or two to return to baseline. Cumin has a similar effect but lasts a few hours at most.

Yeah, totally! I’ve definitely noticed it a good bit with Italian food, too. And while it doesn’t typically seem like it’s quite as much of an issue with Middle Eastern & Latin American dishes, a lot of the ones I enjoy tend to have a good deal of both garlic & cumin in them, and do have an effect to a lesser extent.

Anything super salty can be a bit of an issue for me as well.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, k-train said:

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (NC Private Selection)
Parent Company/Distillery: Campari/Wild Turkey
Selected by: Eddie Russell
Barrel #: 20-0165
Bottled on: 08/25/20
Warehouse: E
Rick #: 4
Proof: 101 (50.5% ABV)
Price: $59.95

ME1M3SL_o.jpg

Nose: There is a lot more sweetness on the nose here than expected based on what I get from the non-pick, old fantail bottle Kentucky Spirit I have. Plenty of buttery caramel, toffee & vanilla up front with a nice dash of cinnamon & orange. I get a bit of a yeasty Wild Turkey funk note, along with some roasted pecans, corn, oak, leather, and tobacco. Understandably, this is like a slightly sweeter, more refined version of the WT101 nose. If you’ve ever had a dessert tamale, the blend of corn, cinnamon, caramel & vanilla found on this really brings that kind of thing to mind. Some days though, the buttery caramel, toffee & vanilla notes really stand out and make me think about those Brach’s Milk Maid Royal candies (the soft chewy, cylindrical ones in the colorful metallic wrappers). This offers a good amount of complexity & balance and just smells like it’s going to be extremely delicious.

Palate: Wonderful orange/cherry fruit notes mix seamlessly with rich caramel, vanilla, buttercream, and pralines over a backdrop of toasted oak. A touch of cinnamon adds some extra dimension, while also serving as a preview of the finish. Overall, this is very rich, well balanced, and has a pleasant, buttery, medium mouthfeel.

Finish: Somewhat gentle & medium in terms of length. Rich, sweet caramel & cinnamon fade into rye spice, black pepper & oak. It’s not particularly big, bold, or long, but it works well enough to not be a let down.

Overall: Each time I’ve had a pour of this, I’ve found myself liking it much more than I expected to. It seems to be getting better each time as well, so I’m hopeful that’s a trend that will continue. The balance on this from start to finish is fantastic. Not the most complex or unique expression ever, but it definitely comes across as an elevated version of the Wild Turkey profile… and to me, that’s a very good thing.

Score: 8.25/10

Great write up @k-train! I have to admit that I’m a little jealous of these private selection bourbons you have access to. I’m sure that GA has some stores that get these bourbons, but none that I can find in my area. Enjoy! 

4 hours ago, eatcorn said:

So I guess the new batch of Weller dropped. Used to be $25. Now I have to enter a raffle to win the right to buy a bottle.

Bourbon is broken. I struggle to even care anymore.

Yep. I actually was just talking about that whole thing with Weller seven posts before you posted this.

There's still lots of good stuff out there, but the way the market has shifted so rapidly with a ton of things in such a short amount of time, has been daunting. It seems especially difficult for those of us who have vivid memories of most of these super allocated bourbons & ryes just sitting on the shelf 24/7 for a fraction of what they cost today.

You & I have both seen this thing happen with guitars, with records, and now with bourbon. It sucks.

Hopefully before too much longer, there will be a glut when a bunch of the folks currently getting into bourbon inevitably get bored & move on to the next thing. Even then, these prices are never going back down to what the were, or anything near it.

2 hours ago, Brewyerown said:

Good news! RR 13 is starting to show up in GA.

Bad news! Shelf time is measured in minutes.

Has anyone tried the New Riff Malted Rye? This one is starting to garner some buzz online.

I've been seeing some chatter about the New Riff Malted Rye. Unfortunately, NC ABC stores don't currently carry anything from New Riff, and so the only way to get their stuff here is to have it mailed to you... which is technically illegal, and thus many retailers do not ship to NC... or to travel out of state & bring some back with you.

Still no signs of RR13 anytime soon here either. 😥

21 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Great write up @k-train! I have to admit that I’m a little jealous of these private selection bourbons you have access to. I’m sure that GA has some stores that get these bourbons, but none that I can find in my area. Enjoy! 

Thanks, man! For a lot of barrel picking groups & stores, Covid made it difficult or even impossible to make selections. I know several of the local barrel picking groups here in my area had cut back drastically compared to the number of picks they'd done in normal pre-covid times, and are just now getting back into the swing of things.

It also takes more people on a distillery's end to produce a ton of single barrels. Like many other businesses, it's possible that some of the distilleries were running with a skeleton crew through a large portion of the pandemic due to financial concerns. So I think it's possible some distilleries limited the amount of barrel selections they would do over the past year or so.

So hopefully, some of the stores/groups in your area will start doing barrel picks again & you'll be able to try some soon!

Here in NC, the ABC releases a quarterly price list which shows what items are available for a three month span. The next one comes out in a few weeks & covers Aug, Sept, and Oct. While that list isn’t available yet, other lists showing price changes for the upcoming Aug-Oct list did just become available online. The biggest things of note to me were that once again, Henry McKenna 10Y has gone up $5. It will now be $55 here (When I purchased the first of the two bottles I  used for that side by side comparison in late April, I paid $45… so it has increased $10 in just four months). The other noteworthy thing is that Eagle Rare is no longer $36, but is now going to be $40, as is RR10.

On 7/9/2021 at 1:48 PM, Goober Pyle said:

Not a bourbon, but this was recommended by a friend. Giving it a try tonight. 

D0EC1B0C-1725-4C4E-B2D9-B3EDD3ECAC14.jpeg

Just a note on this after trying it this evening....I hope it gets better. Lol. 

It's not bad....just not quite what I was expecting. It reminds me a lot of Canadian whiskey, which isn't a bad thing, but it's definitely not bourbon. One of the things I don't like about Canadian whiskey is that it's TOO smooth. There's no edge. While I'm not a fan of the heat that a high proof bourbon brings, I do enjoy flavor. While this has flavor, it's definitely tempered. I'm hoping that after it opens up a few days that I'll enjoy it more.