Jump to content

Bourbon lovers come in here


lostone
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, kicker said:

Woodford Double Barrel Select too.  I did the bourbon trail from Louisville to Lexington in October and hit Woodford toward the end.  

Have you ever tried Woodford Reserve double oaked?

 

That's seriously the only bourbon where I actually tasted something that I'd have to describe as...... butterscotch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lostone said:

Makers mark  Steve profile 46

If you like Makers Mark part of that is gonna be the reduction in Rye. Makers is what's called a wheated bourbon. 

 

Rye produces a peppery flavor which some folks love (me) and Makers Mark and other wheated bourbons replace a lot of that Rye with wheat. One of the most highly sought after bourbons is the Van Winkle line of bourbons. Me personally I've had em and I think it's good bourbon but the fact that they only put out a limited supply kinda drives the hype a little.

 

 

Who is the dude who is really good at telling stories? I wanna say he was a rock music promoter at one point in time and I think now he owns a bar.......he'd be a good dude to tag in here.  I'm gonna have to figure out who this is now our it's gonna bug me all night 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jpowors said:

If you like Makers Mark part of that is gonna be the reduction in Rye. Makers is what's called a wheated bourbon. 

 

Rye produces a peppery flavor which some folks love (me) and Makers Mark and other wheated bourbons replace a lot of that Rye with wheat. One of the most highly sought after bourbons is the Van Winkle line of bourbons. Me personally I've had em and I think it's good bourbon but the fact that they only put out a limited supply kinda drives the hype a little.

 

 

Who is the dude who is really good at telling stories? I wanna say he was a rock music promoter at one point in time and I think now he owns a bar.......he'd be a good dude to tag in here.  I'm gonna have to figure out who this is now our it's gonna bug me all night 

@k-train that's you, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jpowors said:

Have you ever tried Woodford Reserve double oaked?

 

That's seriously the only bourbon where I actually tasted something that I'd have to describe as...... butterscotch?

Actually yes that’s what I was thinking of, not double barrel.  Had it at the distillery.  It was delicious.  Maybe too delicious?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kicker said:

Actually yes that’s what I was thinking of, not double barrel.  Had it at the distillery.  It was delicious.  Maybe too delicious?

It seriously has an almost candy like finish to it. It's one of the more distinctive flavor profiles for a bourbon that I have tried. It seriously kinda tastes like butterscotch.

 

It's actually what I buy my Stepdad every year on his birthday 

 

The only reason I didn't mention it was because it doesn't taste like any other bourbon I've ever tried. I'd recommend it to anybody though. That's good stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jpowors said:

@k-train that's you, right?

Yes, I played in bands for about 20 years, toured a decent amount, and when I was home I managed a 1000 capacity venue called Cat’s Cradle.

I then spent about two years as the in-house photographer & graphic designer for a hospitality group that owned 3 restaurants & a bar/small music venue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I pretty much only drink bourbon neat, so unless I mention otherwise, that's how I'm referring to trying all of these:

Personally, not really a fan of Maker's Mark, Bulleit, or Woodford Reserve & I find Baker's to be really over-priced/nothing special.

I absolutely LOVE Russell's Reserve. That's probably my favorite bourbon ever. Just a few years ago it was always around $28-$35 for a fifth, but now I can't find it here for under $60. The Russell's Rye is pretty great, too.

I think Eagle Rare is probably the best bang for your buck bourbon out there. Seems to be a little harder to come by these days around here (I'm in NC), but it's usually around $30-$35 & is better than several more expensive options.

Blanton's is really nice, but thanks to Kevin Spacey's character in House of Cards, it got kinda overhyped & thus overpriced and nearly impossible to find here anymore.

Buffalo Trace is a great one, usually at a great price point, but for whatever reason it's gotten hyped up a lot recently as well & has thus become kinda scarce.

If you can find it, Elmer T. Lee is a good one, especially if it sits for a bit to open up.

Four Roses is really good as well.

Larceny is another that is pretty solid.

I think 1792 is an easy-drinking bourbon that's not gonna break the bank. Pretty much bursting with sweet vanilla & butterscotch notes from the moment you open the bottle, if you get through a bit of this & then let the rest of the bottle sit for a few weeks, it really opens up nicely.

Booker's is amazing, but you gotta go easy with it since it's barrel proof. Probably not a good option for someone just getting their feet wet in the world of bourbon, as it can definitely catch you off guard in a bad way if you're not prepared. But it is soooooo delicious if you just take small sips & enjoy that strangely pleasant burn followed by an explosion of flavor.

I had a bottle of Michter's US1 and thought it was decent, but it didn't knock my socks off. Definitely one that needs time to open up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for cheaper options, bourbons used for cocktail/hi-ball mixers, etc.:

I drank so much Old Grandad when I was younger that I seriously cannot remember large chunks of my 20's.

Not the biggest fan of Jim Beam, but it's fine as a mixer. It does what it needs to if you're just mixing it with Coke or something. I do think Jim Beam Black is noticeably better than the regular though.

If you're gonna be drinking hi-balls, save a few dollars & use Evan Williams (black label) instead of Jim Beam. It's cheaper & you won't notice any difference in taste.

I think @JDaveG might've mentioned it earlier, but Evan Williams 1783 is a great option as well which is criminally overlooked. It's a solid bourbon that can be found for around $15 a fifth, and is fantastic for cocktails, hot toddies, etc.

Four Roses Yellow is not something that's great neat, but it works wonderfully in cocktails & hi-balls and is usually only about $20 a fifth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

As for cheaper options, bourbons used for cocktail/hi-ball mixers, etc.:

I drank so much Old Grandad when I was younger that I seriously cannot remember large chunks of my 20's.

Not the biggest fan of Jim Beam, but it's fine as a mixer. It does what it needs to if you're just mixing it with Coke or something. I do think Jim Beam Black is noticeably better than the regular though.

If you're gonna be drinking hi-balls, save a few dollars & use Evan Williams (black label) instead of Jim Beam. It's cheaper & you won't notice any difference in taste.

I think @JDaveG might've mentioned it earlier, but Evan Williams 1783 is a great option as well which is criminally overlooked. It's a solid bourbon that can be found for around $15 a fifth, and is fantastic for cocktails, hot toddies, etc.

Four Roses Yellow is not something that's great neat, but it works wonderfully in cocktails & hi-balls and is usually only about $20 a fifth.

I like Evan Williams Black and 1783 on the rocks. They are not complicated at all, and even a little boring, but you could drink much worse for the price. And yeah, great for mixing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a buddy who is a huge bourbon fan and collector. He has like $10,000 worth of bourbon at his house right now. Every now and again, he’ll bring me little 3 ounce bottles of some of his collection. Pappy and all sorts of other stuff I’ve never heard of. It is fantastic, but honestly I don’t have the palate to really appreciate it. I can’t tell much of a difference between the $70 bottles and the $500 bottles. 

Edited by Ofelia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jpowors said:

I've seen it mentioned a few times but I can't stand Larceny. Seriously can't drink it. It tastes almost medicinal to me.

Odd. Didn’t get that from it at all when I tried it. That said, I had it at a restaurant & have never purchased a bottle for home consumption. Was your experience w/ a bottle you bought or did you try it out somewhere like I did?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Ofelia said:

I have a buddy who is a huge bourbon fan and collector. He has like $10,000 worth of bourbon at his house right now. Every now and again, he’ll bring me little 3 ounce bottles of some of his collection. Pappy and all sorts of other stuff I’ve never heard of. It is fantastic, but honestly I don’t have the palate to really appreciate it. I can’t tell much of a difference between the $70 bottles and the $500 bottles. 

Pappy might be the most overrated thing I’ve ever tried in my life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, k-train said:

Pappy might be the most overrated thing I’ve ever tried in my life.

This is why I tagged you. I remember having this same convo a few years back because I thought the same thing. 

 

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

Odd. Didn’t get that from it at all when I tried it. That said, I had it at a restaurant & have never purchased a bottle for home consumption. Was your experience w/ a bottle you bought or did you try it out somewhere like I did?

Bottle I bought. There's just something in there that hits my palate way wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

Pappy might be the most overrated thing I’ve ever tried in my life.

He says the same, but he mainly gets that as an investment. Apparently some of his bottles of various Bourbons have seen their value go up by hundreds of dollars since he’s had them. I wish I could remember the ones he’s actually really big on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jpowors said:

This is why I tagged you. I remember having this same convo a few years back because I thought the same thing. 

 

Bottle I bought. There's just something in there that hits my palate way wrong.

Did you finish the bottle soon after you got it, or did you let it sit for a while before coming back to it?

I have gotten bottles of various bourbons that after the first few glasses I was ready to write them off completely... but then after letting the bottles sit for several weeks or even a few months, I’d go back & it was like drinking a completely different bourbon.

Just wondering if the Larceny just needed time to mellow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, k-train said:

Did you finish the bottle soon after you got it, or did you let it sit for a while before coming back to it?

I have gotten bottles of various bourbons that after the first few glasses I was ready to write them off completely... but then after letting the bottles sit for several weeks or even a few months, I’d go back & it was like drinking a completely different bourbon.

Just wondering if the Larceny just needed time to mellow.

It sat for about 3-4 months and I gave it another shot.....and then gave it away. Funnily enough one of my buddies had the exact same reaction a few months later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ofelia said:

He says the same, but he mainly gets that as an investment. Apparently some of his bottles of various Bourbons have seen their value go up by hundreds of dollars since he’s had them. I wish I could remember the ones he’s actually really big on.

I have a serious love/hate thing w/ the idea of collecting... be it bourbon, wine, guitars, records, whatever.

I understand the appeal of having access to a bunch of nice, rare options, but at the same time I feel most of what causes the prices to skyrocket are directly related to collectors buying everything up in the first place. They actually cause the supply to be diminished, thus the demand goes up & so dead the price. As bourbon has gained popularity in the last several years, this has caused an astronomical hike in prices in many cases. It’s got a trickle down effect as well, so it’s not just about the super high end stuff either. Then once the distillers realize the demand, their marketing teams eat it up & have them purposefully make limited supply special edition versions that they can charge way too much for because they know it will sell immediately.

It’s literally the same process whether it’s bourbon, guitars, records, cars, football jerseys, you name it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...