Bourbon lovers come in here

lostone

38 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Hey bud. 

I wanted to drink this for another night before posting my thoughts. Decadent is the right word describe this bourbon. It’s almost like dessert in a glass. I like that the cinnamon is there,but muted. It’s flavorful without being “hot”. Very glad that I picked this up.

Right on! Couldn't agree more about it being a decadent dessert in a glass. After dinner the other night, I literally just popped off the cork & nosed it in the bottle for a minute or two... didn't pour it, didn't drink it... just sat there smelling it... and it was magnificent.

Still haven't gotten around to giving that A121 a real tasting yet, but from that little whiff I got while doing the photos, I was slightly reminded of a similar decadence & richness to the OF1910.

11 hours ago, k-train said:

Not trying to twist your arm, but adding a half ounce of water to a 2oz. pour of A121 will knock it down to 98.4 proof. :D

In all seriousness, one of my close friends has the same issue, and often has to add a splash of water to take the  higher proof expressions down a bit. That way, you don't completely miss out on what those have to offer. Truth be told, some might actually improve with a bit of water added.

Here's an incredibly helpful proof calculator that makes it easy to figure out how to cut it down to your desired proof point: https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/proof-calculator/

Thanks bud!

I have added a few small drops to the higher proof ones (B520, C920, and the Knob Creek SB), but probably not enough. I really love the flavors from those, but the reflux issue has really kept me from fully enjoying them. I'll add a little more water to see if it helps. Even if it doesn't completely go away, some things are worth the discomfort. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - Batch A121
Parent Company/Distillery: Heaven Hill/Heaven Hill
Proof: 123.6 (61.8% ABV)
Price: $69.95

484e411371336211.jpg

Nose: Upon opening, this is extremely aromatic, giving off scents of dark candied fruits. Similarly to the Old Forester 1910, it is rich with a heavy presence of raisins, dates, and some cherry. It's noticeably complex, with additional notes of sweet oak, pipe tobacco, and new leather. Once it's allowed to sit and open up for 12-15 minutes, it shifts & comes to life with classic notes of caramel & vanilla, a touch of toasted marshmallow, along with something reminiscent of graham cracker pie crust. Despite the proof, the ethanol is almost non-existent on the nose, especially after it's had time to open up.

Palate: The sweet notes jump out right away, and my mind immediately shifts to the taste of caramel/vanilla swirl salt water taffy. As soon as that flavor is realized, a brightness comes through, accompanied with a peppery spice. There's a very faint hint of cinnamon there, but this leans more toward black pepper or even star anise. The caramel forward flavor and rich, syrupy mouthfeel are reminiscent of B520, but these both seem slightly toned down versions; still great nonetheless. There's pleasant butterscotch & praline notes here as well, with an awesome woodiness underneath it all; making this bourbon taste as complex as it smells.

Finish: As one would expect from any ECBP release, the finish is long & lingering with a nice balance of spice & vanilla/caramel. As those flavors eventually fade, the sweetness smoothly transitions briefly to a slightly bitter wood/dark chocolate note.

Overall: This one didn't jump out to me right away the way B520 did. However, the more I come back to it, the more I'm enjoying it. It definitely seems like a completely different animal if you give it some time to open up. I don't know that I'll go out of my way to get another one of these, but if I just happened to see another one in the store, I'd grab it for sure. I need to do a comparison to the B520, and honestly also to the Old Forester 1910, because while I don't think it's all that comparable to either or those two, there are plenty of similarities I get from each. This has the caramel notes, woody undertones, and rich mouthfeel I got & loved from the B520; with the richness & date/raisin/dark chocolate flavors & dessert bourbon vibe I got from the 1910. Seeing that I'd easily pick up another of either of those if I ever was out and saw them on the shelf, I can safely confirm that I would in fact buy another bottle of this if I came across it. So while it’s not quite "clear the shelf & stockpile it" level for me, it is plenty good enough to keep a backup around.

53 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Dang @k-train. Great write up. Looks like I’ll be picking up a bottle. Reflux be d@mned. 

I know it’s still over 120 proof, but this is actually the second lowest proof ever for an ECBP release. So, you should be able to proof it down to a level that doesn’t bother your reflux without altering the flavors too much.

I recently realized that it's been a couple years since I last had any Four Roses products. I noticed the small batch is on sale this month, so I went to my local ABC store today with the intention of grabbing a bottle. However, I saw the store had six bottles of the single barrel on the shelf, so I opted for that instead. For whatever reason, the single barrel has been a little harder to come by lately... at least in this area. I might still grab a small batch later this month... although they also have Russell's 10Y & Rare Breed on sale, so those will probably take precedent.

I also picked up a bottle of Maker's Cask Strength, since it's also on sale for this month for $10 off. It's a different batch than the one I previously reviewed on here, so it'll be cool to see how it compares. I still have some Maker's 101 left, so I plan on doing a blind side-by-side tasing to compare those as well.

• 2 weeks later...

13 of the Best Bottom Shelf, Cheap Bourbons, Blind-Tasted and Ranked - Paste

Nose: Upon opening, there are notes of wet cardboard and paint thinner.

Palate: There are immediate astringent notes and a mouthfeel similar to greasy sawdust.

Finish: There's a nice balance to turpentine and freezer burnt figs.

Overall: Meh, it will f*ck you up and help you forget your horrible life decisions, which is all anyone who buys a bottle of Old Crow can expect.

5 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

13 of the Best Bottom Shelf, Cheap Bourbons, Blind-Tasted and Ranked - Paste

Nose: Upon opening, there are notes of wet cardboard and paint thinner.

Palate: There are immediate astringent notes and a mouthfeel similar to greasy sawdust.

Finish: There's a nice balance to turpentine and freezer burnt figs.

Overall: Meh, it will f*ck you up and help you forget your horrible life decisions, which is all anyone who buys a bottle of Old Crow can expect.

Same stuff as Jim Beam white label I think. 

10 hours ago, Passprotection said:

Sipping some '92 WT101 8year

4z8PyHl.jpg

RQBw09k.jpg

That's pretty awesome! I can vividly remember seeing Wild Turkey bottles from this era in my dad's liquor cabinet in the early-mid 90's, along with the first bottles of Kentucky Spirit once it came out in '94. I'm in my mid-40s now, so I was too young to have tried it back then, but am psyched for the opportunity to try it now. It's going to be really cool to compare this to the current version of WT101. Thanks again!

On 2/28/2021 at 1:19 AM, k-train said:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - Batch A121
Parent Company/Distillery: Heaven Hill/Heaven Hill
Proof: 123.6 (61.8% ABV)
Price: $69.95

484e411371336211.jpg

Nose: Upon opening, this is extremely aromatic, giving off scents of dark candied fruits. Similarly to the Old Forester 1910, it is rich with a heavy presence of raisins, dates, and some cherry. It's noticeably complex, with additional notes of sweet oak, pipe tobacco, and new leather. Once it's allowed to sit and open up for 12-15 minutes, it shifts & comes to life with classic notes of caramel & vanilla, a touch of toasted marshmallow, along with something reminiscent of graham cracker pie crust. Despite the proof, the ethanol is almost non-existent on the nose, especially after it's had time to open up.

Palate: The sweet notes jump out right away, and my mind immediately shifts to the taste of caramel/vanilla swirl salt water taffy. As soon as that flavor is realized, a brightness comes through, accompanied with a peppery spice. There's a very faint hint of cinnamon there, but this leans more toward black pepper or even star anise. The caramel forward flavor and rich, syrupy mouthfeel are reminiscent of B520, but these both seem slightly toned down versions; still great nonetheless. There's pleasant butterscotch & praline notes here as well, with an awesome woodiness underneath it all; making this bourbon taste as complex as it smells.

Finish: As one would expect from any ECBP release, the finish is long & lingering with a nice balance of spice & vanilla/caramel. As those flavors eventually fade, the sweetness smoothly transitions briefly to a slightly bitter wood/dark chocolate note.

Overall: This one didn't jump out to me right away the way B520 did. However, the more I come back to it, the more I'm enjoying it. It definitely seems like a completely different animal if you give it some time to open up. I don't know that I'll go out of my way to get another one of these, but if I just happened to see another one in the store, I'd grab it for sure. I need to do a comparison to the B520, and honestly also to the Old Forester 1910, because while I don't think it's all that comparable to either or those two, there are plenty of similarities I get from each. This has the caramel notes, woody undertones, and rich mouthfeel I got & loved from the B520; with the richness & date/raisin/dark chocolate flavors & dessert bourbon vibe I got from the 1910. Seeing that I'd easily pick up another of either of those if I ever was out and saw them on the shelf, I can safely confirm that I would in fact buy another bottle of this if I came across it. So while it’s not quite "clear the shelf & stockpile it" level for me, it is plenty good enough to keep a backup around.

Just a follow up. I've yet to find the A121 in any of the local liquor stores. My "go to" store that has an extensive collection of bourbons has not had this one in at all. In fact, the shelf area where they usually stock it has overflow bottles of EC Small Batch. The owner has been gone or busy the last couple of times that I've dropped in, but I intend to find out if he's getting some in.