Jump to content

Bourbon lovers come in here


lostone
 Share

Recommended Posts

As for the finish being the “burn”...

... that’s part of it. The ‘palate’ is the initial taste & how it is when you “chew” the bourbon (literally chewing it before you swallow to bring out more of the flavors, often spice). The finish is basically how it works from there until it’s done. Does it linger or does it go away quick? Does it make your mouth feel kinda dry? Are the same flavors present that you noticed on the nose and/or palate or are there new notes you are picking up toward the end? All that stuff is related to the finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, k-train said:

As for the finish being the “burn”...

... that’s part of it. The ‘palate’ is the initial taste & how it is when you “chew” the bourbon (literally chewing it before you swallow to bring out more of the flavors, often spice). The finish is basically how it works from there until it’s done. Does it linger or does it go away quick? Does it make your mouth feel kinda dry? Are the same flavors present that you noticed on the nose and/or palate or are there new notes you are picking up toward the end? All that stuff is related to the finish.

**** dogg ima be a whiskey snob tomorrow at the in laws with my annual bottle of crown. Skipping the coke and raw dogging it. I’ll report back with my findings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/10/2020 at 9:28 PM, Jdrizzle said:

I've always liked Woodford Reserve as a good intro into bourbon. Nothing too over the top about it. Just solid. I'd put Four Roses in that same category. I like my bourbon with a little more pepper on it but those are really good intro to bourbons in my mind. 

 

 

Elijah Craig is another solid intro to bourbon but it definitely has a stronger flavor profile (at least in my opinion) than the other two. I'd go with Four Roses and Woodford first and then try Elijah Craig. Also you're gonna have a really hard time finding a 12 year old Bourbon at a cheaper price. Or the 23 year old one for that matter 

Spoken like a true alcoholic! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, Brewyerown said:

The results of this year's bourbon raffle picks are below. Last year was ETL 100 Year Tribute. If I was smarter I would have flipped that bottle. 

0-02-01-9c2d637d002696eb84837df132abd4e119e64c08c99cf8fd21a02d1908d3f283_c4e1e41e.jpg

While it sucks that Dirk Koetter’s offense loaded with 1st rounders can’t score, at least you did!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Maker’s Mark 101
Parent Company/Distillery: Beam Suntory/Maker's Mark
Proof: 101 (50.5% ABV)
Age: NAS (said to be around 6 years old)
Price: $42

c977631367170547.jpg

Nose: Glazed doughnut with a faint hint of fruit, like apple or pear.

Palate: Very similar to the Maker's Mark Cask Strength in that sweet honey is immediately present, accompanied by a rich, buttery mouthfeel. The flavors that come through for me on this one remind me a lot of caramelized southern fried apples covered in cinnamon & brown sugar with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

Finish: Medium length with a good bit more of that cinnamon coming through after the initial sweetness, but the spice never gets too hot. As the cinnamon fades, it really feels like it's about to fall apart & become really bitter, but thankfully that ever happens. Instead, it shifts to a pleasant oak note to round things out. It's not a long or hot finish, but shows a nice complexity. From sip to swallow, this takes you on a bit of a journey.

Overall: Maker's Mark originally only offered this 101 proof version of their wheated bourbon in the gift shop at their distillery & at duty-free travel shops. In the later half of 2020, they released it nationwide as a limited edition offering. I took a while to pick one up, but there were a few left at the store down the road from me, so I decided to give it a go finally. There are things about this I like a lot, and it reminds me of the Maker's Cask Strength a good bit. If anything, the 101 might have a bit more oakiness going on, and thus might actually be a bit more balanced & complex than the Cask Strength. I am hoping this one last me long enough that I can pick up another Cask Strength when it goes on sale again in March. I'm really interested to see how these two compare in a head to head blind tasting. This isn't quite game changing, but it's really good & a solid alternative to something like the now impossible to find Weller Antique 107.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, Brewyerown said:

The results of this year's bourbon raffle picks are below. Last year was ETL 100 Year Tribute. If I was smarter I would have flipped that bottle. 

0-02-01-9c2d637d002696eb84837df132abd4e119e64c08c99cf8fd21a02d1908d3f283_c4e1e41e.jpg

I just finally finished a bottle of '17 Eagle Rare 17 year. Opened it before I discovered the secondary market. Wish I had know about that before opening it a couple years back because I would have flipped it too. It was good, but not >1k good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Passprotection said:

I just finally finished a bottle of '17 Eagle Rare 17 year. Opened it before I discovered the secondary market. Wish I had know about that before opening it a couple years back because I would have flipped it too. It was good, but not >1k good.

It is truly absurd the amount of money some fools will pay for certain "rare" bourbons these days... just to put a bottle on their shelf so they can show it off to their dumb friends, and never actually open the bottle to try what's inside. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, k-train said:

It is truly absurd the amount of money some fools will pay for certain "rare" bourbons these days... just to put a bottle on their shelf so they can show it off to their dumb friends, and never actually open the bottle to try what's inside. 

Agreed. I've bought some expensive stuff but wouldn't dare on the high end secondary stuff. Actually got the aforementioned ER17 for MSRP ($100). Have a couple others that I probably paid too much for (not yet opened as I enjoy collecting too) but all were at MSRP - I could easily make $$$ on them w secondary but I enjoy having them. Did relatively recently buy an '00 Rare Breed for $240 that is pure gold. Makes me wish I would have bought more of these back in the day. Enjoy your pours above!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lately, I've been revisiting a few of my "go-to" bourbons from back in the day to see how I like them now. This was probably my first favorite bourbon ever... granted I was usually consuming it with a mixer in those days, as I hadn't yet developed a palate or taste for drinking bourbon neat... so I was excited to give it a go now to see how it holds up neat.

Old Grand Dad Bonded
Parent Company/Distillery: Beam Suntory/Jim Beam
Proof: 100 (50% ABV)
Age: 4 years (since this is bottled in bond, it legally must be at least 4 years old)
Price: $20 on sale (regularly $24)

c05ca41367512531.jpg

Nose: I get a subtle vanilla note & maybe the faintest bit of oak. I don't really get much alcohol or spice on the nose. It's not complicated or complex by any means, but it's not offensive by any means either.

Palate: The first thing I get is a nice light wave of sweetness, vanilla & some caramel. Then the spiciness kicks in, which tastes a lot like what I'd imagine melted Red Hots candies would be like. The cinnamon spiciness jumps out, making its presence very known, with a sugary sweetness lying just underneath. It's neither thick nor thin, but rather a pleasant medium-bodied mouthfeel.

Finish: Light but long finish as sweetness subsides, the cinnamon spice seem to linger for quite some time. The intensity is just enough to stand out, but never enough to be overkill. The faint oak note comes through slightly on the finish, just as it did on the nose... but sometime you've got to hunt for it.

Overall: I wasn't sure what to expect from this, but was pleasantly surprised. While it's not a mind-blowing experience, the true high rye mash bill of this one adds a nice spicy variation on the flavors I typically enjoy. Being a little younger, it's not as well-balanced or complex as Wild Turkey 101 (which tends to be in the same price & proof range) but it's definitely not a bad backup plan as a daily sipper/mixer. To me, this is a little more unique than the also awesome & ridiculously affordable Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, but just a hair shy of the WT101. When any of the three of these are on sale though, they're all worth picking up in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Russell's Reserve 10 Year
Parent Company/Distillery: Campari/Wild Turkey
Proof: 90 (45% ABV)
Age: 10 years
Price: $38.99 regularly, I purchased this bottle on sale for $34.99
3b45841367666339.jpg

Nose: An awesome combination of vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar at the forefront, with a sugar cookie/graham cracker note holding it up. That's all balanced perfectly with a touch of oak & leather. As this isn't particularly high proof, there's thankfully no unpleasant ethanol burn to be found messing things up. This is a fantastic example of the typical aromas found in most bourbon.

Palate: The palate follows an almost identical path as the nose, with those same sweet flavors up front, followed closely by oak & leather. There is a touch of spice which comes through as well; more baking spice like nutmeg than hot cinnamon... not too much to be distracting, but just enough tingle to carefully add another dimension. This is a fantastic example of the typical flavors found in most bourbon.

Finish: Medium length and slightly dry. As soon as the spice becomes fully realized, it quickly fades into those oak & leather notes found earlier. There's a bit of tobacco as well. That tiny bit of smokiness & a hint of heat combines with the vanilla/caramel sweetness and graham cracker note to fill my mind with visions of Smore's made with caramel in place of chocolate.

Overall: This has long been one of my all-time favorites. It was THE bourbon that I drink regularly when I first began drinking bourbon neat, and is one I always suggest to folks looking to get acclimated to bourbon. It is d@mn near perfectly balanced & has quintessential bourbon notes in all phases. The price has gone up a little over the  years here, but it's still a great bargain. In my mind, this is much better balanced than the equally aged & proofed Eagle Rare 10Y. After years of always being readily available, Eagle Rare is now living up to its name. It's limited to 1-per-customer at stores here these days, and is often gone within an hour of coming off the delivery truck. Don't get me wrong, Eagle Rare is a very nice bourbon & I love it... but not enough to deal with the BS of hunting for it. Especially considering that this is always on the shelves. As @Goober Pyle knows, this is an unbeatable daily drinker which I highly recommend that I find to be better than Buffalo Trace & on par with (if not better than) Eagle Rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, k-train said:

Russell's Reserve 10 Year
Parent Company/Distillery: Campari/Wild Turkey
Proof: 90 (45% ABV)
Age: 10 years
Price: $38.99 regularly, I purchased this bottle on sale for $34.99
3b45841367666339.jpg

Nose: An awesome combination of vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar at the forefront, with a sugar cookie/graham cracker note holding it up. That's all balanced perfectly with a touch of oak & leather. As this isn't particularly high proof, there's thankfully no unpleasant ethanol burn to be found messing things up. This is a fantastic example of the typical aromas found in most bourbon.

Palate: The palate follows an almost identical path as the nose, with those same sweet flavors up front, followed closely by oak & leather. There is a touch of spice which comes through as well; more baking spice like nutmeg than hot cinnamon... not too much to be distracting, but just enough tingle to carefully add another dimension. This is a fantastic example of the typical flavors found in most bourbon.

Finish: Medium length and slightly dry. As soon as the spice becomes fully realized, it quickly fades into those oak & leather notes found earlier. There's a bit of tobacco as well. That tiny bit of smokiness & a hint of heat combines with the vanilla/caramel sweetness and graham cracker note to fill my mind with visions of Smore's made with caramel in place of chocolate.

Overall: This has long been one of my all-time favorites. It was THE bourbon that I drink regularly when I first began drinking bourbon neat, and is one I always suggest to folks looking to get acclimated to bourbon. It is d@mn near perfectly balanced & has quintessential bourbon notes in all phases. The price has gone up a little over the  years here, but it's still a great bargain. In my mind, this is much better balanced than the equally aged & proofed Eagle Rare 10Y. After years of always being readily available, Eagle Rare is now living up to its name. It's limited to 1-per-customer at stores here these days, and is often gone within an hour of coming off the delivery truck. Don't get me wrong, Eagle Rare is a very nice bourbon & I love it... but not enough to deal with the BS of hunting for it. Especially considering that this is always on the shelves. As @Goober Pyle knows, this is an unbeatable daily drinker which I highly recommend that I find to be better than Buffalo Trace & on par with (if not better than) Eagle Rare.

This has become my favorite bourbon, simply because it’s so good at a great price point. The best bang for your buck in my somewhat limited opinion. 
 

I’ve not been drinking as much bourbon lately as I have some stouts and porters. I did pick up a bottle of the Wild Turkey 101 as well as a bottle of Jameson Cold Brew (pure impulse buy). I’ve had one glass of the WT101. I liked it and will give it another try. The Cold Brew is my first experience with Irish Whiskey. It’s different and not something I’d drink all the time, but I am a coffee lover and enjoy it for what it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I been trying with this crown royal. Just can’t do it. As soon as I get enough down in my stomach it just turns sour. It’s the same reaction my body gets when I drink jack or makers mark. I have always been able to drown the sensation out with coke or as a whiskey sour. I guess it’s just not for me. As for flavors all I got was a peppery & spicy taste. Gonna keep at it still got a lot to go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

This has become my favorite bourbon, simply because it’s so good at a great price point. The best bang for your buck in my somewhat limited opinion. 
 

I’ve not been drinking as much bourbon lately as I have some stouts and porters. I did pick up a bottle of the Wild Turkey 101 as well as a bottle of Jameson Cold Brew (pure impulse buy). I’ve had one glass of the WT101. I liked it and will give it another try. The Cold Brew is my first experience with Irish Whiskey. It’s different and not something I’d drink all the time, but I am a coffee lover and enjoy it for what it is. 

I'd highly encourage you to pick up a bottle of the regular Jameson at some point. It's definitely not gonna knock your socks off or anything, but is a real solid option that shouldn't be more than $25-$30. Being just 80 proof, it seems incredibly easy to drink for me, but I enjoy the flavor. Not as rich & in your face as most of the bourbons I enjoy, but some similar flavors in there & a nice subtle change of pace. When I was playing in bands back in the day, we always had a bottle of Jameson on hand in the recording studio for when it was time to do vocals. Making a hot toddy with that stuff really to help loosen up the vocal cords.

This goes with any bourbon, but with that WT101, be sure to give it a good 10-15 minutes in the glass to open up before you drink it & you shouldl be rewarded with more flavors than if you were to pour & start sipping immediately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NightPain said:

I been trying with this crown royal. Just can’t do it. As soon as I get enough down in my stomach it just turns sour. It’s the same reaction my body gets when I drink jack or makers mark. I have always been able to drown the sensation out with coke or as a whiskey sour. I guess it’s just not for me. As for flavors all I got was a peppery & spicy taste. Gonna keep at it still got a lot to go. 

Remember, take your time with it. It takes a long time to get your palate acclimated, and sometimes it's just not what resonates with your body & taste buds. For example, in addition to bourbon I really enjoy nicer dark rums & anejo tequilas, but I can't for the life of me get used to gin. No matter how nice it is, I always find gin to be something that tastes foul to me.

As for you noticing those spice & pepper notes, I know that doesn't seem like an enjoyable thing, but that's actually solid progress to be able to pick that out. That's the rye spice you are picking up.

My advice would be to look at several reviews online of the particular type of Crown Royal you are drinking. Find the common notes mentioned across the reviews... for the standard version of Crown, most will mention sweetness like caramel, maple, and vanilla; plus fruitiness, and possibly the presence of oak, nuts and/or doughy flavors.

Then think hard about something that has a lot of those flavors... like a maple doughnut with nuts on top... or a vanilla hazelnut caramel latte... etc.

While you envision that thing in your head, take a small sip of the Crown & hold it in your mouth, moving it around a bit before you swallow it, and take in the flavors. See if that helps you to recognize those same flavors in the whiskey, rather than just picking up on the rye spice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2020 at 5:24 PM, k-train said:

Wild Turkey 101
Parent Company/Distillery: Campari/Wild Turkey
Proof: 101 (50.5% ABV)
Age: NAS, but a blend of 6, 7, and 8 year old bourbon
Price: $24.99 regularly, I purchased this bottle on sale for $19.99
d7915a1358919705.jpg

Nose: Some slightly sweet corn & toffee notes mingle with toasted oak, fruit & spice. The alcohol doesn't kick the down the door, but knocks loud enough to let you know it's there.

Palate: An extremely delicious pop of caramel right out the gate. A pleasant amount of toffee & vanilla intertwine with notes of red berries, oak, and a hint of leather, followed by cinnamon & baking spices. Very well balanced & surprisingly complex for a bourbon at this price point.

Finish: Med-long sort of dry finish which lets you know it's over 100 proof without taking your head off... it's more warm than outright hot. There's a pecan-like nuttiness on the finish and a spiciness which lingers a bit, but not super long.

Overall: I hadn't tried Wild Turkey 101 in several years, and to be perfectly honest I didn't really care for it much back then. In those days I found it to be a little too forward with the cinnamon spiciness & ethanol. My what a difference a few years makes... Coming back to this now, I have a completely different take on it. It's not quite on par with Russell's Reserve 10Y, but it brings a little more heat/spice being 101 proof vs. RR10's 90 proof; and it has a similar complexity that seems only slightly less refined by comparison. Getting all that for just $24/bottle makes it one I think I'm going to be turning to quite often as an everyday sipper. Considering what other bourbons are available to me at that price point, this is punching way above its weight class. So getting it on sale for $20 is an absolute must buy for me from now on; worthy of stocking up on a few backup bottles at that price.

Ok @k-train, I had my second glass of this tonight. The second one is better than the first. I like it...not as much as the RR10Y, but a good alternative, especially at about 60% of the price. The predominant flavor I’m picking up is definitely cinnamon with minor notes of vanilla and caramel. Good solid sipper that isn’t too hot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

Ok @k-train, I had my second glass of this tonight. The second one is better than the first. I like it...not as much as the RR10Y, but a good alternative, especially at about 60% of the price. The predominant flavor I’m picking up is definitely cinnamon with minor notes of vanilla and caramel. Good solid sipper that isn’t too hot. 

Glad you're liking it. I agree it's not quite on par with the RR10, but it's definitely punching above its weight class...er, price point.

It has really grown on both myself & my wife big time over the past few months, and is now the consensus favorite in our home as our weekday sipping/cocktail bourbon. Enough so that I'm strongly considering buying a case the next time the stores here have it marked down. WT101 comes 12 bottles to a case, and if I'm remembering correctly the case price when it's on sale is something so crazy low that it breaks down to around $15 per bottle (maybe even less). That's up there as one of the best bang-for-your-buck bargains in bourbon.

I think as you get more & more acclimated to it, there's a good chance those flavors your picking up will flip... so that you're getting a predominant caramel/vanilla sweetness with the cinnamon still very present, but letting those sweeter note lead the charge.

I had that happen with the WT101 and it's also happened more recently with my revisiting the OGD Bonded. That OGD seemed like cinnamon city to me at first, but now I guess I'm getting used to it (and enjoying it more & more all the time). I recognize that cinnamon spice is definitely still very much there, but I get a heck of a lot more sweet notes standing out now than I could find in it even just a week ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Just checked the NC ABC monthly specials list from November, when they last had it on sale for $20/bottle.

The sale price for a case is even lower than I thought. Turns out, it’s $125 for a case of 12... so basically $10/bottle.

That is madness.

I rarely see sales on bourbon at the stores that I frequent. That per bottle price for a case is unreal. Hopefully you won’t throw your back out from carrying all those cases to your vehicle...

Enjoy! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@k-train

 

 

 

Tequila Mi Campo Reposado | Tequila Matchmaker

Ever since you posted about this tequila in this thread, I have been looking for the Mi Campo Reposado in my area. None of my usual haunts had it and none of the new stores I tried had it either, although I did find some good liquor in its place. Yesterday as I was driving to an appointment, I saw a store that I've driven by, but never stopped at. I knew we were low on Bailey's Irish Cream (a Pyle household staple) and went in to get a bottle. I decide to see if they have a bottle of this elusive and hard to find tequila and low and behold......they have it!

What's funny is that I'm not a huge tequila fan, but I do like trying new stuff. I got a bottle and talked with the owner for a few minutes. He had just bought the place a month earlier and was trying to get new liquors and craft beers in the place. He showed a bourbon that I'd not heard of (like that's a big surprise) made by Lusty Claw. Weird shaped bottle that was kind of cool. I told him that I was pretty well stocked on bourbon at the moment. I pointed to the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and mentioned that in my opinion the RR10Y was an outstanding bourbon at a really good price (he didn't have it, but made a note to get it). All in all, an interesting conversation.

Now, to the tequila. I had a glass last night. No ice or lime juice, just neat. Again, I'm not a huge tequila fan, but I like margaritas. This was just like you described it. It's a like a margarita by itself. VERY easy to drink and tons of flavor. I probably won't drink it like I do the bourbon, but it will make a nice alternative, especially in the spring and summer. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

@k-train

 

 

 

Tequila Mi Campo Reposado | Tequila Matchmaker

Ever since you posted about this tequila in this thread, I have been looking for the Mi Campo Reposado in my area. None of my usual haunts had it and none of the new stores I tried had it either, although I did find some good liquor in its place. Yesterday as I was driving to an appointment, I saw a store that I've driven by, but never stopped at. I knew we were low on Bailey's Irish Cream (a Pyle household staple) and went in to get a bottle. I decide to see if they have a bottle of this elusive and hard to find tequila and low and behold......they have it!

What's funny is that I'm not a huge tequila fan, but I do like trying new stuff. I got a bottle and talked with the owner for a few minutes. He had just bought the place a month earlier and was trying to get new liquors and craft beers in the place. He showed a bourbon that I'd not heard of (like that's a big surprise) made by Lusty Claw. Weird shaped bottle that was kind of cool. I told him that I was pretty well stocked on bourbon at the moment. I pointed to the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and mentioned that in my opinion the RR10Y was an outstanding bourbon at a really good price (he didn't have it, but made a note to get it). All in all, an interesting conversation.

Now, to the tequila. I had a glass last night. No ice or lime juice, just neat. Again, I'm not a huge tequila fan, but I like margaritas. This was just like you described it. It's a like a margarita by itself. VERY easy to drink and tons of flavor. I probably won't drink it like I do the bourbon, but it will make a nice alternative, especially in the spring and summer. 

 

Glad you're digging it! I was just at the ABC store a bit ago & thought about picking up a bottle since they don't have it at the store right by my house. Still working on a bottle of Espolon anejo though, so I passed on the Mi Campo for now.

Stay far, far away from that Lusty Claw. It falls into that category of someone wrapping a dog turd in gold foil & an elaborate hand carved wooden box & charging $55 for it... as nice as the packaging might be, what's inside is always going to be sh!tty.

It's only 3 years old, and they are a NDP (Non-distilling producer) which means they don't actually make the bourbon themselves, they are buying the whiskey from someone else (they won't disclose who they get it from, which is super sketchy) & just placing it in those ornate bottles. From the two reviews I could find online, it sounds totally awful... which isn't surprising. 

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/drink-reviews/bourbon-reviews/lusty-claw-bourbon-review/#.YBRn7C2ZPUI

https://whiskeyjar.blog/2018/11/18/an-honest-review-of-lusty-claw/

There was a huge trend a few years ago where all these "craft" bourbons started popping up everywhere. They all had these cool looking bottles & labels, and some crazy backstory about "so & so's grandfather's uncle's cousin was a famous bootlegger from blah, blah, blah back in the 1800's & this is the recipe that made his bourbon the most sought after, etc., etc."

95% of that stuff was just folks buying young stock from MGP, Dickel, etc. and placing it in these fancy bottles. It was all about marketing & nothing about actually producing good bourbon. Thankfully, that's died down some, but it's still rampant enough that you should always proceed with much caution when thinking about dropping money on a bottle from a company you've never heard of.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, k-train said:

Glad you're digging it! I was just at the ABC store a bit ago & thought about picking up a bottle since they don't have it at the store right by my house. Still working on a bottle of Espolon anejo though, so I passed on the Mi Campo for now.

Stay far, far away from that Lusty Claw. It falls into that category of someone wrapping a dog turd in gold foil & an elaborate hand carved wooden box & charging $55 for it... as nice as the packaging might be, what's inside is always going to be sh!tty.

It's only 3 years old, and they are a NDP (Non-distilling producer) which means they don't actually make the bourbon themselves, they are buying the whiskey from someone else (they won't disclose who they get it from, which is super sketchy) & just placing it in those ornate bottles. From the two reviews I could find online, it sounds totally awful... which isn't surprising. 

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/drink-reviews/bourbon-reviews/lusty-claw-bourbon-review/#.YBRn7C2ZPUI

https://whiskeyjar.blog/2018/11/18/an-honest-review-of-lusty-claw/

There was a huge trend a few years ago where all these "craft" bourbons started popping up everywhere. They all had these cool looking bottles & labels, and some crazy backstory about "so & so's grandfather's uncle's cousin was a famous bootlegger from blah, blah, blah back in the 1800's & this is the recipe that made his bourbon the most sought after, etc., etc."

95% of that stuff was just folks buying young stock from MGP, Dickel, etc. and placing it in these fancy bottles. It was all about marketing & nothing about actually producing good bourbon. Thankfully, that's died down some, but it's still rampant enough that you should always proceed with much caution when thinking about dropping money on a bottle from a company you've never heard of.
 

Thanks for the heads up on the Lusty Claw. I had my suspicions that it was more about the bottle and less about the bourbon. 

I've had some more of the WT 101. I like it, though still not as much as the RR10Y. It does much better letting it sit for a bit, then drinking it. I do appreciate you posting your thoughts on all the bourbons you've tried. As I said, I love trying new stuff.....heck, that's how I found the RR10Y. I don't like paying good money for sh!tty bourbon. Lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...