Bourbon lovers come in here

lostone

3 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

I'm thinking I'll pick up a bottle of the RR SiB this week. I've got an extra bottle of the ECBP B520 that is unopened and is only sipped on weekends, so this could be a good compromise bottle. Both times I've picked up the RR10Y, my hand has almost picked up the RR SiB by mistake. Maybe the bourbon gods have been trying to tell me something. As always, thanks for your advice!

Right on!

Here's a pretty great interview with Wild Turkey Master Distiller Eddie Russell, the man who created Russell's Reserve as a tribute to his father, Bourbon Hall of Famer & long time Wild Turkey Master Distiller Jimmy Russell. The entire thing is definitely worth a listen, but it really picks up around the 22:00 mark. There's some spots where he talks about things that are really fascinating... like the specifics of knowing how the different floors in the rickhouses produce different results, and what he looks for when selecting the barrels for the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel program.

Russell's Reserve is the best value in bourbon if you ask me. This coming from a huge Wild Turkey/ Russell's Reserve fan. My drinkers and some of my stash below... Yes, I drink and collect (have a lot more tucked away - don't tell my wife)

https://imgur.com/a/2PYfgiX

Edited by Passprotection

1 hour ago, Passprotection said:

Russell's Reserve is the best value in bourbon if you ask me. This coming from a huge Wild Turkey/ Russell's Reserve fan. My drinkers and some of my stash below... Yes, I drink and collect (have a lot more tucked away - don't tell my wife)

https://imgur.com/a/2PYfgiX

Nice collection!

I completely agree with you and @k-trainon Russell's Reserve. The 10 Year has very quickly become my nightly sipper. I just picked up a bottle of the Single Barrel today and will be trying some tonight. 

So I was talking with a friend the other day & mentioned that I was gonna be in his neighborhood this weekend, because the ABC store near his house has a crazy sale right now on Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (which is basically the single barrel version of Wild Turkey 101). It's normally $60 here, but it's been marked down to just $35.

So fast forward to today and he came by my house to pick up a stereo receiver. He also dropped off this for me:
1304981176_KentuckySpirit-1b.thumb.jpg.a834458990ab4718003c917db2ea3be3.jpg

I guess the ABC stores are trying to unload the last remaining "fan tail" bottles they have left, which is why it's been discounted. It was incredibly cool of him to surprise me with this bottle, and I'm super stoked that it's the old school bottle. Gonna crack it open in a bit & if this barrel speaks to my palate, I'll probably head out and grab another bottle or two tomorrow while I still can.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

@Goober Pyle, curious to hear how that Russell's single barrel is working for you.

It’s funny. You’ve mentioned “neck pour” several times, but I think this is the first time I’ve experienced it.....or noticed it. The first night I had it, I poured it neat and sipped on it that evening. My thoughts that night were that while it was good, it seemed very similar to the RR10Y. I decided to give it a few nights to breathe and waited until this past Tuesday night to try it again. Much better! Maybe it was just my tastebuds the first time, but the flavors were much stronger this time. I like that it’s flavorful, but not too hot. It still reminds me of the RR10Y, but amped up. 

I appreciate the recommendation. Definitely a keeper. My liquor cabinet is getting fuller, but has more room. 😁

Took a trip to the ABC store after work today to grab another one of those $35 bottles of Kentucky Spirit while I still can. Decided to grab a bottle of Maker's Mark Cask Strength while I was at it because It's been on my 'to-do' list for a while now & I've never had it. I'm not typically fond of Maker's Mark at all, but folks I trust swear by the Cask Strength version, saying it's a totally different animal. It's usually $50 here, but they've got it marked down to $40 all month, so I felt like it was finally time to get a bottle. So, I got outta there with what would normally be $110 worth of bourbon for just $75... and then considering my buddy gave me that bottle of Kentucky Spirit yesterday... that's like $170 worth of bourbon for just $75. I wish every week worked out like that!:lol:
3eca0d1355104952.jpg

Figured I'd share my thoughts on this one (and maybe I'll do the same later for other things I've got open at the moment)

Maker’s Mark Cask Strength
Parent Company/Distillery: Beam Suntory/Maker's Mark
Batch: 20-02
Proof: 110.4 (55.2% ABV)
Age: NAS (rumored to be around 6 years old... they "bottle it when it's ready")
Price: $40 (marked down from $50)

FDEFBC09-5133-44C6-ABF2-498312F78FB1.thumb.jpeg.e46faf00cd802be2bc788a862bada47c.jpeg

Nose: There's a bit of a sweet breakfast pastry thing going on, kinda reminds me of a bear claw or danish. I get a bit of honey on the nose as well, and maybe the slightest hint of vanilla and citrus. Ethanol is present but not overwhelming.

Palate: The sweet honey jumps out in front on the palate. There's a bit of a bread/grain thing going on since this is a wheated bourbon, which combined with that burst of honey up front makes me think of buttered French toast covered in honey or even a breakfast cereal like Oh's or Honey Nut Cheerios (sans the nuts). Behind that, the usual bourbon flavors of caramel & vanilla linger in the distance, mingling nicely with a touch of orange fruitiness. The mouthfeel is neither chewy nor thin, but rather somewhere in between. It's pretty full & really smooth as it works it's way to the finish. There's a nice spiciness that comes on late, like cinnamon & allspice.

Finish: Med-long finish on this one with those sweet & spicy notes carrying throughout. Despite it being just 110.4 proof (which seems kinda low for something labelled as being cask strength) it definitely has some heat. Much more heat than I expected honestly... but not overpowering, so it finished up enjoyably.

Overall: I'm not really a fan of the standard Maker's Mark release, but I was curious about this one & glad I gave it a chance. It's not overly complex, but much more so than the standard version, which makes the Cask Strength extremely enjoyable to drink. I'm not sure I'd drop $50 on this regularly, but for the $40 I paid on sale it feels like a really good deal for a bourbon like this. I've heard that in some states (Ohio & Texas, maybe more) that the price was lowered to $40 at the start of 2020, and could possibly stay there. It's worth a try in my opinion at $50, but at $40 it would become something I regularly stock on my bar. Then again, $50 might actually be a bargain considering there really aren't many other barrel proof wheated bourbons widely available... obviously the Pappy line is waaaaay more expensive and waaaaay harder to get, the Old Fitz 9Y & 15Y offerings in the fancy decanter retail for $100 & $150 each respectively (and far more on the secondary market), Weller Full Proof is typically insanely allocated/expensive, and while Larceny Barrel Proof is just $50 retail, it can be really hard to find & is often marked up a good bit on the secondary market. So with all that in mind, the Maker's Cask Strength is worth a try at $50, and a bit of a no-brainer at $40.

Knob Creek Single Barrel
Parent Company/Distillery: Beam Suntory/Jim Beam
Proof: 120 (60% ABV)
Price: $49.99

b4d44c1355104876.jpg

Nose: I get a healthy dose of caramel & toffee up front, followed by some spice & a touch of leather. Being 120 proof, the alcohol is present.

Palate: There is an explosion of sweet flavors at first which actually reminds me a lot of the drinking experience I have when sipping Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520. The caramel & toffee burst across the palate with rich vanilla, brown sugar, maple syrup & some nuttiness/ sweet roasted corn notes. There's some peppery spice on the back end & the 120 proof is definitely noticeable.

Finish: Really nice, long, spicy finish that will leave your lips tingling for at least a good 15-20 seconds. The sweetness from the nose & palate carries through in the background almost all the way. Meanwhile, a touch of oak joins the leathery note along with the cinnamon spice to eventually finish things up. I really enjoy a bourbon with a long sweet/spicy finish like this.

Overall: Every time I go back to this bottle, I'm reminded just how great it is. I've done two blind tastings where it was in a lineup with Old Forester 1920 & ECBP B520, and it finished in second place both times. Granted, this is a single barrel release, so it's possible that another bottle from a different barrel may not be quite the same as this particular bottle... but it should be close & inmy opinion that's a risk well worth taking. You’ll be hard pressed to find another 9 year old single barrel (practically barrel proof) bourbon that's almost always easy to find & in stock on the shelves, which tastes this good, drinks this easy, and costs just $50. Because of those things, this has become a staple of my bar.

12 hours ago, k-train said:

Knob Creek Single Barrel

A57E7575-E19A-4303-B1FE-FB670E85DB6A.thumb.jpeg.a4e132e07701141093a3bf8665296515.jpeg

Nose: I get a healthy dose of caramel & toffee up front, followed by some spice & a touch of leather. Being 120 proof, the alcohol is present.

Palate: There is an explosion of sweet flavors at first which actually reminds me a lot of the drinking experience I have when sipping Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B520. The caramel & toffee burst across the palate with rich vanilla, brown sugar, maple syrup & some nuttiness/ sweet roasted corn notes. There's some peppery spice on the back end & the 120 proof is definitely noticeable.

Finish: Really nice, long, spicy finish that will leave your lips tingling for at least a good 15-20 seconds. The sweetness from the nose & palate carries through in the background almost all the way. Meanwhile, a touch of oak joins the leathery note along with the cinnamon spice to eventually finish things up. I really enjoy a bourbon with a long sweet/spicy finish like this.

Overall: Every time I go back to this bottle, I'm reminded just how great it is. I've done two blind tastings where it was in a lineup with Old Forester 1920 & ECBP B520, and it finished in second place both times. Granted, this is a single barrel release, so it's possible that another bottle from a different barrel may not be quite the same as this particular bottle... but it should be close & inmy opinion that's a risk well worth taking. You’ll be hard pressed to find another 9 year old single barrel (practically barrel proof) bourbon that's almost always easy to find & in stock on the shelves, which tastes this good, drinks this easy, and costs just $50. Because of those things, this has become a staple of my bar.

Man, we must have some kind of weird wavelength thing going on. I bought a bottle of this bourbon last Friday. I tried some that night, but wanted to wait a few days and try it again before posting about it. You have a MUCH more advanced palette than I, but I agree with everything you said. And as much as I love the ECBP, it can give me a bit of reflux issues while this one doesn’t. It’s very good and I’ll make sure to have a bottle on hand. 

2 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Man, we must have some kind of weird wavelength thing going on. I bought a bottle of this bourbon last Friday. I tried some that night, but wanted to wait a few days and try it again before posting about it. You have a MUCH more advanced palette than I, but I agree with everything you said. And as much as I love the ECBP, it can give me a bit of reflux issues while this one doesn’t. It’s very good and I’ll make sure to have a bottle on hand. 

Yeah, I feel like the ECBP B520 is a slightly more amped up version of what I get from the KC SiB. So rather than drink up all my ECBP B520, keeping in mind that it won't be around forever, I reserve it & only drink it occasionally now... when I'm REALLY craving it. When I'm in the mood for those flavors and a similar proof, the KC SiB get's me close enough to scratch that itch most of the time, and I don't have to worry about potentially not being able to replace it once the bottle is done.

I'm happy that you picked it up, because I've mentioned it on here a few times & knowing how much the B520 resonated with you I figured the KC SiB likely would as well.

Keep an eye out for store picks of the KC SiB as well as the regular KC. Both tend to be pretty highly regarded & a great bargain.

11 hours ago, k-train said:

Yeah, I feel like the ECBP B520 is a slightly more amped up version of what I get from the KC SiB. So rather than drink up all my ECBP B520, keeping in mind that it won't be around forever, I reserve it & only drink it occasionally now... when I'm REALLY craving it. When I'm in the mood for those flavors and a similar proof, the KC SiB get's me close enough to scratch that itch most of the time, and I don't have to worry about potentially not being able to replace it once the bottle is done.

I'm happy that you picked it up, because I've mentioned it on here a few times & knowing how much the B520 resonated with you I figured the KC SiB likely would as well.

Keep an eye out for store picks of the KC SiB as well as the regular KC. Both tend to be pretty highly regarded & a great bargain.

When it comes to bourbon, I think we have similar tastes and like the same flavor profiles. That's why I pay attention when you tell me something is good. Also, I love finding new stuff to try.

I have discovered that the RR10Y is probably, pound for pound, just about the best bang for the buck. It has really become my "go to" sipper most evenings. Just a well rounded bourbon that isn't too hot and has a good amount of flavor....all for less than $40.

8 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

When it comes to bourbon, I think we have similar tastes and like the same flavor profiles. That's why I pay attention when you tell me something is good. Also, I love finding new stuff to try.

I have discovered that the RR10Y is probably, pound for pound, just about the best bang for the buck. It has really become my "go to" sipper most evenings. Just a well rounded bourbon that isn't too hot and has a good amount of flavor....all for less than $40.

The great thing about finding something you know you are gonna enjoy regularly is that you can buy it by the case & pay waaaaaaaay less per bottle than what you pay by purchasing it one bottle at a time.

I 100% agree on the RR10, and that's why it has been my go-to bourbon off & on for about a decade now.

Not sure what you're paying for it in Georgia other than it's less than $40. Here in NC, the ABC stores have it priced regularly at $38.95, and it goes on sale for $34.95 every few months. And while it is indeed a fantastic deal even at that regular price considering it's 10 years old, flavorful & complex without being overly hot, and just down right enjoyable to drink... when you purchase by the case (6 bottles) it costs just $122.96. That averages out to just $20.49 per bottle. If I buy a case here when it's on sale, it's $110.05... which works out to be just $18.34 per bottle. That means if you're willing to commit to 6 bottles, you're getting it for half price.

Old Forester 1920
Parent Company/Distillery: Brown-Forman/Brown-Forman Shively Distillery
Proof: 115 (57.5% ABV)
Price: $59.95

67b6371355104659.jpg

Nose: This is very rich & unique with a strong presence of chocolate, bread pudding or custard with a touch of burnt brown sugar brûlée, berries, and dark grapes or plums.

Palate: Extremely full bodied, rich, and smooth with the flavors matching the aromas. Added elements of coffee with a dash of cinnamon, burnt caramel, and a little bit of the barrel char coming through.

Finish: There's a bit of peppery spice that quickly fades away. There's nothing new showing up to the party at this point, and while it does linger for a bit, it seems short by comparison to things like the Knob Creek Single Barrel, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof I've mentioned in earlier posts.

Overall: This is an extremely polarizing bourbon for me. People seem to absolutely love it & there are certainly days when I totally get why. I think it's definitely interesting, both in flavor and in the story behind the recipe used to make this one. Brown-Forman was one of just four distilleries in Kentucky granted a permit to make bourbon for medicinal purpose during Prohibition. They recipe used to make OF 1920 is the same one they used during that time. At the same time, there are days when I have it & it just does not agree with my palate at all... and about halfway through the glass I start contemplating pouring it down the drain & drinking something else instead. I'm honestly starting to think that there's something about own-Forman products that just doesn't sit right with me for whatever reason, because I've had similar experiences with several of their other offerings: Woodford Reserve, Woodford Double Baked, Old Forester Signature, etc. So while I personally don't know that I will buy another bottle of the OF1920 considering I know of a few things I like better at the same price point, I do think it is definitely a (sometimes) stellar bourbon that's worth a try if you've never had it before.

I kinda did a initial thoughts review on this when I first picked it up, so here's a more thorough review now that I've had some time with it.

Bowman Brothers Small Batch
Parent Company/Distillery: Sazarac/A. Smith Bowman Distillery
Proof: 90 (45% ABV)
Price: $29.95

ab6ea91355104752.jpg

Nose: The nose on this one comes off as being rather light & balanced to me, with nothing really jumping out. What I do find are faint caramel notes mixed with some cherry. There's a touch of cinnamon present along with brown sugar & baked apples, so it smells like you're getting faint whiffs of someone baking apple brown betty in the kitchen on the other side of your house.

Palate: It also starts out kind of light on the palate, but in no way does that mean thin. Despite it seeming gentle up front, it still manages to have a somewhat thick, chewy, oily mouthfeel which coats the palate nicely. I get some notes of toffee, vanilla, oak & toasted nuts. The sweetness is definitely present & very enjoyable, but it's balanced nicely with the oak tannins & a bit of spice as it heads toward the finish. So it never becomes cloyingly sweet, and comes off as being quite well-rounded.

Finish: There's a good bit of peppery spice that comes on & lingers a bit longer than expected, providing a nice, long finish. The sweetness lies underneath through the bulk of the finish, mixing pleasantly with the cinnamon spiciness. It's not gonna melt your face off, but it's bringing a surprising amount of heat to the table for a 90 proof bourbon. Like the sweetness, it let's you know it's there, but never takes over or becomes too much.

Overall: This reminds me a lot of some things made by Buffalo Trace Distillery, and that's understandable for a few reasons. First, they both share the same parent company, Sazarac, so the bourbons made by A. Smith Bowman are basically cousins (or even half-brothers/sisters) to those made by Buffalo Trace. Second, Buffalo Trace actually provides the distillate for the A. Smith Bowman line. It is distilled twice in Kentucky by Buffalo Trace (using either their mash bill #1 or a combo of #1 and #2), then shipped to Virginia where A. Smith Bowman distills it again in a unique copper still. The result is a triple-distilled high-rye small batch bourbon. Triple distillation is common in higher-end Irish whiskies, but not so much in the bourbon world. It's believed to provide a lighter, smoother spirit with more flavors from the wood... which seems like an appropriate way to describe this one.

Some interesting tidbits about A. Smith Bowman Distillery:

• Unlike most distilleries who age their whiskies in barrels lying on their sides, A. Smith Bowman age their bourbons in barrels with a #3 char sitting upright. stacked on palates.
  • Abram Smith Bowman founded the the distillery the day after Prohibition ended in 1934 & it has been in operation ever since. For decades, they were the only licensed distillery in Virginia.
  • Unlike many other distilleries who just use the term "small batch" as a marketing slogan, the term actually means something at A. Smith Bowman Distillery. Because their vat can only hold 9 barrels at a time, they are legitimately making this bourbon in small batches.

Anyhow, I find this one to be very enjoyable & pretty hard to beat in the $30 & under category. It works wonderfully in Manhattans, and is of course enjoyable neat. I wouldn't call it complex, but rather focused. They do a good job of honing in on a few flavors & making sure there is a nice harmony between them. It starts off seeming quite delicate & still manages to bring the heat. It's not a mind-blower, but just an extremely well-done offering that makes a nice, pretty versatile every day sipper. It's on par with much more hard to find things like Elmer T. Lee, EH Taylor Small Batch, and has some of the same characteristics I find often & enjoy in Eagle Rare. I think it's a noticeable cut above some things in this proof/price range like Elijah Craig Small Batch, Bulleitt, Maker's Mark, etc.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:23 PM, k-train said:

The great thing about finding something you know you are gonna enjoy regularly is that you can buy it by the case & pay waaaaaaaay less per bottle than what you pay by purchasing it one bottle at a time.

I 100% agree on the RR10, and that's why it has been my go-to bourbon off & on for about a decade now.

Not sure what you're paying for it in Georgia other than it's less than $40. Here in NC, the ABC stores have it priced regularly at $38.95, and it goes on sale for $34.95 every few months. And while it is indeed a fantastic deal even at that regular price considering it's 10 years old, flavorful & complex without being overly hot, and just down right enjoyable to drink... when you purchase by the case (6 bottles) it costs just $122.96. That averages out to just $20.49 per bottle. If I buy a case here when it's on sale, it's $110.05... which works out to be just $18.34 per bottle. That means if you're willing to commit to 6 bottles, you're getting it for half price.

I appreciate the advice on buying by the case. I haven't had the opportunity to drop by my usual liquor store lately, but intend to tomorrow. I'm going to ask the owner about buying by the case. Here in GA, I've been paying right at $40 per bottle of the RR10Y. I've yet to see it on sale. 

Hopefully, I can save some coin. Thanks bud!!

22 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

I appreciate the advice on buying by the case. I haven't had the opportunity to drop by my usual liquor store lately, but intend to tomorrow. I'm going to ask the owner about buying by the case. Here in GA, I've been paying right at $40 per bottle of the RR10Y. I've yet to see it on sale. 

Hopefully, I can save some coin. Thanks bud!!

Cool. At $40/bottle, If they do sell by the case, you should probably expect to pay around $120 for a 6 bottle case.

The latest batch of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has been released. It hasn't come to NC yet, but it's started showing up in a few states already & was just listed on the Elijah Craig website. Looks like the number I saw for the proof on the NC ABC listing a month or so ago was incorrect & batch C920 is gonna be another one with a very high proof: 132.8

Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
Parent Company/Distillery: Heaven Hill/Heaven Hill
Proof: 100 (50% ABV)
Price: $14.95 (marked down from $16.95)

a0d6161355197564.jpg

Nose: I get vanilla wafers & sugar plums with a faint nuttiness. Despite this being a pretty cheap bourbon that clocks in at 100 proof, there's basically no alcohol present on the nose, nor is there a ton of spice or oak.

Palate: This tastes like caramel corn sprinkled with brown sugar. I can't say it has a thin mouthfeel, but it's definitely not as big, bold, and chewy or oily as others. It's not overly complex, bringing mostly a bunch of sweetness w/ hints of dark fruits & nuts... but it's really tasty & easy to drink. Like the nose, the palate is very sweet forward, with little to no oak tannins or spice present. Moving the bourbon around in your mouth for a few seconds or "chewing" it releases a touch of black pepper spiciness into the mix.

Finish: The finish is medium in length and sweet all the way through; introducing a bit of spice via nutmeg & cinnamon. The spice level is enjoyable & never gets to be overpowering. At the very tail end I find a taste reminiscent of root beer or cola.

Overall: This is undoubtably one of the most fantastic values in bourbon. While I typically just get this for use as a mixer for cocktails, I occasionally try it neat. When I do, I am always blown away how well it tastes & how ridiculously smooth it is for a bottle that's usually only $15-$17. While there is no age statement, being that it's bottled in bond we know that by law it has to be at least 4 years & 100 proof. That means you're also getting incredible consistency from bottle to bottle. This one holds up remarkably well to bourbons which cost significantly more. In fact, it's so flavorful & smooth that I actually mistook it for a $55 bottle of Angel's Envy during a blind tasting I did a month or so ago. This is a fantastic mixer, and could even serve well as an every day sipper, so it's a no-brainer at $14-$18 &, and a must-have for any bar, bunker, liquor cabinet, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 8:19 AM, k-train said:

Knob Creek Single Barrel

b4d44c1355104876.jpg

I bought a bottle of the Knob Creek several weeks ago and have tried it on several different occasions. First, let me say that the cork and the bottle top irritate me. Lol. I know it's stupid, but it's a pain to get off as well as put back in. It doesn't affect the taste, but just one of those things that I find slightly annoying the older I get. As for the bourbon itself, I like it, but so far, don't love it. I'm going to give it more time, but it's not my "go to".

Which leads me to my current "go to"....the Russel's Reserve Single Barrel. Holy crap, is that good! I've broken the over $40 rule on weeknights too many times to count...:D

Lately, when I reach into the cabinet, it's the one I find my hand immediately going to.....even over the RR10Y.........excellent bourbon and thanks again @k-train for the recommendation!

1 minute ago, Goober Pyle said:

I bought a bottle of the Knob Creek several weeks ago and have tried it on several different occasions. First, let me say that the cork and the bottle top irritate me. Lol. I know it's stupid, but it's a pain to get off as well as put back in. It doesn't affect the taste, but just one of those things that I find slightly annoying the older I get. As for the bourbon itself, I like it, but so far, don't love it. I'm going to give it more time, but it's not my "go to".

Which leads me to my current "go to"....the Russel's Reserve Single Barrel. Holy crap, is that good! I've broken the over $40 rule on weeknights too many times to count...:D

Lately, when I reach into the cabinet, it's the one I find my hand immediately going to.....even over the RR10Y.........excellent bourbon and thanks again @k-train for the recommendation!

Bummer you didn't get a "honey barrel" bottle of Knob Creek right out the gate, but it's understandable. With both the Knob Creek Single Barrel and the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, you'll find a much wider variation from bottle to bottle than you would with the small batch releases of those same brands.

You could literally go to a different store, find a bottle of each of those Knob Creek & Russel's single barrel releases which came from different barrels than the bottles you already own, and you could quite possibly have the exact opposite reaction from your current bottles... where that particular Russell's Single Barrel is good but not great, and the Knob Creek is a total winner.

With single barrel releases, I always like to try 2-3 different bottles from different barrels before coming to a consensus.

As for that terrible wax/pull tab on the Knob Creek bottles... folks have been begging them for years to fix that crap. 😄

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

@Goober Pyle have you gotten the ECBP C920 down there yet? It hasn't come here to NC just yet, but several other states have started receiving it over the past few weeks, including SC.

I have yet to see it, but I haven't been to my personal Hidey-Hole store yet. That place has so many different kinds of bourbon that it's unreal. It's where I've found the ECBP B520 with no problems. I hope to get by there soon and I'll let ya know...

On 10/13/2020 at 9:22 AM, Goober Pyle said:

I have yet to see it, but I haven't been to my personal Hidey-Hole store yet. That place has so many different kinds of bourbon that it's unreal. It's where I've found the ECBP B520 with no problems. I hope to get by there soon and I'll let ya know...

Both the Elijah Craig & Larceny C920 showed up as being in stock at the NC ABC warehouses, so it's likely getting distributed out to the stores across the state either today or tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I'm on a super tight budget from now until about February. So barring any unforeseen windfall, I might havve to sit out this round & hope to find them in a few months.

Reviews I've seen seem to be mostly saying this Larceny BP batch is good but not great.

As for the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, I've seen quite a few now that say the C920 is a close runner up to the B520 for best ECBP batch this year... and even a few folks who prefer the more pronounced proof & oakiness of the C920 a bit more than the B520.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, k-train said:

Both the Elijah Craig & Larceny C920 showed up as being in stock at the NC ABC warehouses, so it's likely getting distributed out to the stores across the state either today or tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I'm on a super tight budget from now until about February. So barring any unforeseen windfall, I might havve to sit out this round & hope to find them in a few months.

Reviews I've seen seem to be mostly saying this Larceny BP batch is good but not great.

As for the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, I've seen quite a few now that say the C920 is a close runner up to the B520 for best ECBP batch this year... and even a few folks who prefer the more pronounced proof & oakiness of the C920 a bit more than the B520.

My work schedule has gone off the rails this week, so I've not been to the Hidey Hole yet. I poured some of the ECBP B520 last night  - after that 1st inning in the Braves game, I felt it was deserved. Man, that is some good bourbon! It'll take a really good effort for the C920 to be as good or better....