lostone

Bourbon lovers come in here

94 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Jpowors said:

It sat for about 3-4 months and I gave it another shot.....and then gave it away. Funnily enough one of my buddies had the exact same reaction a few months later.

Wow. Good to know. Maybe they are just super inconsistent? That can happen a lot w/ some of these newer options, where one bottle is really good but then the next is just ok or even kinda off tasting.

Jpizzle likes this

4 minutes ago, k-train said:

I have a serious love/hate thing w/ the idea of collecting... be it bourbon, wine, guitars, records, whatever.

I understand the appeal of having access to a bunch of nice, rare options, but at the same time I feel most of what causes the prices to skyrocket are directly related to collectors buying everything up in the first place. They actually cause the supply to be diminished, thus the demand goes up & so dead the price. As bourbon has gained popularity in the last several years, this has caused an astronomical hike in prices in many cases. It’s got a trickle down effect as well, so it’s not just about the super high end stuff either. Then once the distillers realize the demand, their marketing teams eat it up & have them purposefully make limited supply special edition versions that they can charge way too much for because they know it will sell immediately.

It’s literally the same process whether it’s bourbon, guitars, records, cars, football jerseys, you name it.

I’m with you on that. I’m also a bit naturally a non-collector. I just don’t like the idea of accumulation. I get anxious when I start having too many things.

I’ll give my buddy credit for one thing though, and that is that he is not just a collector. He legitimately enjoys the bourbon, and is not reluctant to break open a really nice bottle either for himself or for guests.

k-train likes this

3 hours ago, k-train said:

As for cheaper options, bourbons used for cocktail/hi-ball mixers, etc.:

I drank so much Old Grandad when I was younger that I seriously cannot remember large chunks of my 20's.

Not the biggest fan of Jim Beam, but it's fine as a mixer. It does what it needs to if you're just mixing it with Coke or something. I do think Jim Beam Black is noticeably better than the regular though.

If you're gonna be drinking hi-balls, save a few dollars & use Evan Williams (black label) instead of Jim Beam. It's cheaper & you won't notice any difference in taste.

I think @JDaveG might've mentioned it earlier, but Evan Williams 1783 is a great option as well which is criminally overlooked. It's a solid bourbon that can be found for around $15 a fifth, and is fantastic for cocktails, hot toddies, etc.

Four Roses Yellow is not something that's great neat, but it works wonderfully in cocktails & hi-balls and is usually only about $20 a fifth.

It wasn’t me, but I love Evan Williams. 

k-train likes this

2 hours ago, Jpowors said:

I've seen it mentioned a few times but I can't stand Larceny. Seriously can't drink it. It tastes almost medicinal to me.

I actually had the same reaction.  Didn’t love Evan Williams either.  

22 minutes ago, kicker said:

I actually had the same reaction.  Didn’t love Evan Williams either.  

Which Evan Williams did you try & how were you having it (neat, on the rocks, in hi-ball or cocktail)?

5 hours ago, heyme said:

Me and Evan have had an ugly divorce haha

I’m like that with Old Grandad Bonded. I was at a party once & foolishly polished off about a fifth & a half worth in giant glasses of bourbon & Coke. That 100 proof old man took me over his knee & gave me the spanking of a lifetime.

I weighed like 140 lbs back then so I was completely outta my skull. I was half passed out w/ my legs in the street & somebody did me the kindness of rolling me over a few feet into a drainage ditch so I wouldn’t get run over.

Eventually, a friend of mine helped me up the driveway & back to the house where the party took place. The driveway was on a steep hill so it took me a minute to get up there... one step forward, two steps back & to the right, three stumble steps forward, one step back, etc.

Once we got to the house my buddy told me I could go crash out in his brother’s room since he was out of town. I went in there and passed out on a futon.

I woke up a few short hours later & realized I had Jackson Pollacked the futon & a trash can in my sleep.

It was now the next morning & everyone in the house was passed out... on the floors, on the couch, etc. As I was doing my best to clean up the mess, I heard someone else quietly moving around. It was my other friend who’s birthday was the reason for the party. He had to go to the DMV that morning to get his expired ID updated so I asked him to drop me off at my place on the way.

As we were heading to my house, it occurred to me that I also was long overdue to get my ID updated so I said I’d go with him to the DMV. The thing was, I was almost definitely still a little drunk. I had only slept like 4 or 5 hours at most, hadn’t eaten, heII I hadn’t even taken a shower, brushed my teeth, or changed clothes... just got shltfaced, puked everywhere, and decided that was the most convenient time to go to the DMV.

In the end, I got my updated license (while technically still drunk in all likelihood) which had the most hilarious photo ever because I looked like a freaking zombie. But, I was never really able to drink Old Grandad Bonded ever again.

4 hours ago, k-train said:

Which Evan Williams did you try & how were you having it (neat, on the rocks, in hi-ball or cocktail)?

I always drink it neat unless it’s 100 degrees outside.  It was at a tasting room in Louisville.  Had the black (I think) and definitely 1783.  Didn’t care for either.  I’ve since had 1783 again and still didn’t care for it.  

k-train likes this

22 minutes ago, kicker said:

I always drink it neat unless it’s 100 degrees outside.  It was at a tasting room in Louisville.  Had the black (I think) and definitely 1783.  Didn’t care for either.  I’ve since had 1783 again and still didn’t care for it.  

Yeah, definitely would never recommend either of those neat. I do think they’re fine for mixing though.

I am using this thread as my google.  Some great suggestions.  I will be giving frugal mcdogal my money more often.  

any special way to store bourbon or it doesn’t really matter?

1 hour ago, lostone said:

Nope, in the bottle on your liquor shelf/bar. In a decanter if you want to look fancy, but doesn’t enhance the flavor like wine. 

lostone likes this

7 hours ago, lostone said:

I am using this thread as my google.  Some great suggestions.  I will be giving frugal mcdogal my money more often.  

It's fine just to leave it in the bottle. The most important thing is probably that you should keep it out of direct sunlight.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, mdrake34 said:

It can be as casual or following Alice down the rabbit hole hobby as you want/can afford. 

I love Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve. Typical daily drinker is Evan Williams Black Label or 1783. Old Forester occasionally cause that’s what dad drank. 

For “football drinks” I’ll mix a lower end bourbon with ginger ale or sprite. To sip, I drink on the rocks. I have silicon ice trays that make big ice squares or round balls. They last longer than ice out of the ice maker. Lots of great bourbon cocktails, Old Fashioned being my favorite. Manhattans are good too. Cocktails are a good intro to bourbon. Bourbon, especially proofs under 100, are inherently sweet so most cocktails are too sweet to my palate now, I prefer bourbon on the rocks or neat. I prefer scotch on the rocks as well. 

******, I really want a drink now. Long *** week, toddler is going nuts, but doing dry January. 

Same here.

I make a mean bourbon sour.

I like mine on ice. I got into making clear iceballs for drinking my bourbon. The clear melt slower and presentation is much better for guests. Love making them.

A client of mine always sends me a nice bottle of liquor to start the year, and I just got this years gift, and quite frankly I had no idea such a thing existed.  They sent over a bottle of "Amrut" a Single Malt Whisky, which is from India. Makes sense that India would have a whisky tradition given the colonial background, but it never occurred to me to before opening the box.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/amrut-single-malt-whisky/

Really wish the work day was over to give it a taste...

On 1/12/2020 at 0:58 PM, Ofelia said:

He says the same, but he mainly gets that as an investment. Apparently some of his bottles of various Bourbons have seen their value go up by hundreds of dollars since he’s had them. I wish I could remember the ones he’s actually really big on.

Cough *blantons* cough!

Just stopping in to this thread to announce that, along with (on rare occasions) mixing mayo and barbacue, I authentically enjoy honey bourbon.

Should I leave immediately?

Also that's something I don't think that has been discussed. All liquor stores aren't equal. It's not even close.

Ask questions and try a few different stores. You'll know the nerds when you find em.

mdrake34 likes this

On 1/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, lostone said:

Help!  I want to get into this kind of thing, but I don’t really know where to start.  What kind of bourbon should be where I start?  Is there an etiquette?  Any tips would be appreciated!

Don't do it!!!!! It's a gateway drug!!:lol:

Man. I've tried so many different Whiskeys, Bourbons and Scotches but I have literally never enjoyed any of them. I just cant get over that initial taste and burn to appreciate the complexities. They all taste like I'm licking burnt firewood. Just a disgusting taste to me.

I just stick to beer.

Edited by RubberDucky
Scrunchomarx and Door Gunner like this

20 hours ago, Jpizzle said:

Also that's something I don't think that has been discussed. All liquor stores aren't equal. It's not even close.

Ask questions and try a few different stores. You'll know the nerds when you find em.

Our big, nice liquor store that my buddy co-owns has very knowledgeable employees. They do tastings when all the companies send them new bottles.

Jpizzle likes this