The Refried Beans Draft is up

Read it and weep. Here you go Blank, now go get my Lombardi and thank me later: 

I like Gross-Matos  and I just dont think AJ Espensea falls to us. But I like Espenesa's size better if he does fall to us. 

1st pick/ 1st round 16- Espenesa if available if not Gross-Matos

2nd pick 1st round 29-  Trading back up into 1st round with KC (giving them my 2nd round 47 pick and my round 4 109 pick to slide back 17 spots with the pick I take Tyler Biadasz 

3rd pick 2nd round 55- Najee Harris RB Alabama

4th pick 3rd round 78- Antoine Winfield Jr. Minnesota- S and Kick returner Big 10 DB of the year, this also allows me to let Justin Hardy go. 

5th pick 5th round 140 Akeem Davis Gaither LB App. State small but nasty and aggressive, he will slide because he is about 20 lbs lighter than most LBs but that will be other teams mistake not mine. 

6th pick  Round 7 206  Jalen Hurts QB Oklahoma, projected to go rounds 5 to 7 I am taking a chance here. If he's there we get him. 

Edited by Refried Beans

I could certainly live w Your 1st and 3rd round picks, don’t know enough to comment on 2nd, 4th seems solid and I like the idea of a fast, nasty undersized LB who should immediately administer pain due to large chip on shoulder.  A current version of “Jessie Tuggle” perhaps, 6th round (if hurts is still there) I can’t argue until I had better idea of other choices so I’ll give it a solid B+ based solely upon Goss-Mayos or Espensea and Najee Harris.  Those address big needs!!  Depending on how others pan out it could be an A.  Nice work!!!

20 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'd love that haul. Feels like this draft was made banking on re-signing Hooper and Campbell, but I love the player selections and we'd be a better team for it. Don't like trade ups but for a 4th that'd be worth it.

It’s for a 2nd & 4th...too costly IMO.

I like the players selected, though

Ridley was a solid pick, I actually was hoping we would have taken Lamar Jackson as QB of the future and let him learn behind Matt Ryan. I even called into 680am The Fan and told them this, and Buck Bellue laughed and said "Old LAMAAAR Jackson", well who is laughing now? 

The QBs in this draft and who they will be like: 

Joe Burrows-  Jared Goff

Tua- Russell Wilson

Justin Herbert- Blake Bortles

Jake Fromm- Andrew Luck

Jalen Hurts- Dante Culpepper

I think scouts over think things a lot and get caught up in tape, and year after year you see kids that won trophies like Outland trophies, Walter Payton awards, Heisman trophies etc... that fall in the draft, these kids won these awards for a reason. Just cant see how we fail so much on linemen as a franchise, it's not that hard. Look at pad level, flexibility, and leverage and SIZE. You want the biggest dude, who can fire off and get his pad lower than the other guy and place his hands to move the other guy. Period. 

Edited by Refried Beans

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s for a 2nd & 4th...too costly IMO.

I like the players selected, though

Actually if anything thats not gonna be enough to go up 17 spots back into the 1st.  It would more than likely cost both our 2nd's or a 2nd and 3rd.  But with that said im just going to talk about the pick themselves and im pretty pleased with this draft for the Falcons all the way around.  I like each player and think we lucked out with a few of them falling to us in each round which is not unheard of and can happen as long as it's not multiple rounds later which none of these are.  Overall beans good job and i would be thrilled with this haul come draft day it would make us alot better.

1 hour ago, Refried Beans said:

Ridley was a solid pick, I actually was hoping we would have taken Lamar Jackson as QB of the future and let him learn behind Matt Ryan. I even called into 680am The Fan and told them this, and Buck Bellue laughed and said "Old LAMAAAR Jackson", well who is laughing now? 

The QBs in this draft and who they will be like: 

Joe Burrows-  Jared Goff

Tua- Russell Wilson

Justin Herbert- Blake Bortles

Jake Fromm- Andrew Luck

Jalen Hurts- Dante Culpepper

I think scouts over think things a lot and get caught up in tape, and year after year you see kids that won trophies like Outland trophies, Walter Payton awards, Heisman trophies etc... that fall in the draft, these kids won these awards for a reason. Just cant see how we fail so much on linemen as a franchise, it's not that hard. Look at pad level, flexibility, and leverage and SIZE. You want the biggest dude, who can fire off and get his pad lower than the other guy and place his hands to move the other guy. Period. 

Jake Fromm like Andrew Luck! :lol: More like David Greene

3 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

If this had Kinlaw in place of Gross-Matos I'd be down. The Falcons seem cursed on the edge so I get why you have them taking one in the 1st. A trade up seems inevitable with TD's history so no explanation needed there.

Agree. Kinlaw over Gross-Matos if possible, but like these five picks a lot.

@FalconsFan13 To move up for Biadasz I would give my early 2nd, and 4th round picks this year but if KC wanted more it would have to be future draft picks. I gotta come away from this draft with a D-lineman and a Center first and foremost, then third most important need is a LB and a CB. Due to the learning curve I am picking up the CB in free agency. I like Kazee at S, I got Wilcox coming back from injury but I love the Winfield Jr. pick especially because he gives me a kick returner as well. Now I got the option to let Justin Hardy and Kenyon Barber go to free up cash that I can use to re-sign Hoop and Koo. RB can also be addressed in free agency however, I am going with grinders at my RB spot. I know it's a trend to have a mashers and a dasher but I dont agree. I am more of a old school pound the rock and the other defense type. If I wanted a dasher I can get someone cheap like Matt Breida in RFA. Also would kick the tires on CJ Prosise as a 3rd down back. But I would HAMMER defenses with Harris and Hill to set up the pass for Ryan. 

7 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

"like Andrew Luck (Mentally)" That's a far cry from being Andrew Luck. 

Fromm is David Greene.  Probably will be a serviceable back-up, but he's no Matt Ryan.  If we had Fromm as our QB, it'd take you all of about 1 game to be hammering on TD, DQ, and DK.  Oh, wait a minute, you're already doing that...

I dont know man, I think Fromm could be a starter in the NFL. Like that article says he's not pretty but he gets the job done. You notice I didnt pick him, but I can see him being a decent QB middle of the pack. Someone who wins games by not making mistakes, he's just got to be on the right team with a good line and running game. If you are puttting Fromm in a situation like Atlanta currently he would fail because he needs a good running game to do his thing. Pittsburg would be ideal spot for Fromm to land. 

@Boise Falcon Fan and look here DK, I mean Boise, Falcons ranked last in running the football last year and the top 4 teams in the NFL play-offs are top 4 rushing teams. So.........it's the old chicken before the egg syndrome. When the heat is on the coaches blame the players and the players blame the coaches. I think Falcons are a little bit of both. Coaches need to get with the times, they dont have MJD back there running the football, and Falcons also need to be honest with themselves about the talent they have on the O-line, Matthews is not good, Mack is on serious decline. The FA we signed didnt pan out. We put a lot of money in that line and the results were terrible. Thats scouting and front office. So a little bit of both, next year Boise Falcons need to pound the rock to set up the pass. Be patient with the run game and dont ditch it as quick. I get it with Ryan, Ridley, Gage, and Jones you get tempted to spread out and chuck and duck but that is not how you win. BALANCE.  Chucking and ducking does nothing but get your QB killed and your defense worn out. The thing that would help DK out the most next year is if he focuses on T.O.P. Time of Possession, he needs to coach to be the best in the NFL at Time of Possession next year and shorten the game, that would make DK a better OC going forward. Our TOP was not good beginning of the year and then 2nd half we focuses on running the football more and we ended up finishing 8th in TOP! Who was ahead of us? Baltimore, San Fran, Philly, New England, New Orleans, Green Bay and Oakland. Mostly play-off teams.  T.O.P. is what tells you how good your offensive game plan is. 

Edited by Refried Beans

3 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

If this had Kinlaw in place of Gross-Matos I'd be down. The Falcons seem cursed on the edge so I get why you have them taking one in the 1st. A trade up seems inevitable with TD's history so no explanation needed there.

Same. I hope I'm wrong, but TD trading up seems inevitable. I can't stand that guy.

51 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

@FalconsFan13 To move up for Biadasz I would give my early 2nd, and 4th round picks this year but if KC wanted more it would have to be future draft picks. I gotta come away from this draft with a D-lineman and a Center first and foremost, then third most important need is a LB and a CB. Due to the learning curve I am picking up the CB in free agency. I like Kazee at S, I got Wilcox coming back from injury but I love the Winfield Jr. pick especially because he gives me a kick returner as well. Now I got the option to let Justin Hardy and Kenyon Barber go to free up cash that I can use to re-sign Hoop and Koo. RB can also be addressed in free agency however, I am going with grinders at my RB spot. I know it's a trend to have a mashers and a dasher but I dont agree. I am more of a old school pound the rock and the other defense type. If I wanted a dasher I can get someone cheap like Matt Breida in RFA. Also would kick the tires on CJ Prosise as a 3rd down back. But I would HAMMER defenses with Harris and Hill to set up the pass for Ryan. 

If this is what you are basing your draft on, it only fits if you have an OC that actually would consider doing that. We don't.

@Pacific_Falcon You know what? I have been bashing DK all year but you know what? I learned something today. As stated above I am big on T.O.P. , because 9 times out of 10 when you look at a football game the team with the best T.O.P. usually wins the football game. But today I learned the first half of the season we were one of the worst in T.O.P. in the NFL and the 2nd half we were one of the best. So I am going to lay off the DK bashing and see how he does next year. We actually finished 8th in T.O.P. in the NFL for the year so something clicked 2nd half of the season offensively.  

40 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

@Pacific_Falcon You know what? I have been bashing DK all year but you know what? I learned something today. As stated above I am big on T.O.P. , because 9 times out of 10 when you look at a football game the team with the best T.O.P. usually wins the football game. But today I learned the first half of the season we were one of the worst in T.O.P. in the NFL and the 2nd half we were one of the best. So I am going to lay off the DK bashing and see how he does next year. We actually finished 8th in T.O.P. in the NFL for the year so something clicked 2nd half of the season offensively.  

I am a big TOP guy also, and that is why I want Swift in this draft.  If we don't get him, I still want a back drafted by the 2nd round.  I think TOP helps your defense immensely, and I believe it is why we lost the Super Bowl.  Our defense was gassed.