SS Patrick Nelson

5 hours ago, Cole World said:

With the way the league is going in protecting these players I don’t want the hard hitting safeties that will cost our team 15 yards in penalties but rather a coverage safety like Delpit, Simmons, or Dugger. 

Someone who is interchangeable that can play down in the box or play FS.

I love Delpit. But im not against having a hard hitting/enforcer type safety either. The 15 yard penalty is worth it if it will make the other team think twice about coming across the middle of the field. Just the thought of having a SS/FS taking their head off can cause some dropped passes and badly ran routes.

Edited by LouDog

2 hours ago, LouDog said:

I love Delpit. But im not against having a hard hitting/enforcer type safety either. The 15 yard penalty is worth it if it will make the other team think twice about coming across the middle of the field. Just the thought of having a SS/FS taking their head off can cause some dropped passes and badly ran routes.

If you have players that can cover you wouldn’t have to worry about that. Obviously coverage players get beat from time to time, but I still whether have them over a player just known for hitting.

3 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Doesn't change the fact that you said you don't need a head hunting safety if you have guys that can cover. One has nothing to do with the other. 

It does, and just because that something you prefer doesn’t mean I prefer the same thing so move right along.

23 hours ago, Cole World said:

If you have players that can cover you wouldn’t have to worry about that. Obviously coverage players get beat from time to time, but I still whether have them over a player just known for hitting.

How about his teammate Rodney Clemons

Edited by ike barn87987

On 1/11/2020 at 4:02 PM, LouDog said:

Doesn't change the fact that you said you don't need a head hunting safety if you have guys that can cover. One has nothing to do with the other. 

The league offices has changed the rules of engagement.  The days of the enforcing SS are coming to an end.  Safeties have to cover first and tackle second.  

It doesn't meant that we want a bunch of finesse guys in the deep secondary.  It just means that guys like Scott Case, Ronnie Lott or even Keanu Neal are fading away.

Keep your head hunters.  Give me good tacklers that can cover receivers and work together to blanket the secondary.  I don't need the highlight hit.  Just hit and wrap with authority.