Which of these players would be easiest to replace in the draft?

1. Devonta Freeman

2. Alex Mack

3. Hooper

4. Campbell

5. Beasley

6. Clayborne

These are the 6 main guys that could possibly be cut to save cap. The question is looking at this year's draft class which of these guys can be replaced by week 1 of next year? Which of these guys would be hardest to replace? I personally think the defensive guys would be easiest to replace on a budget. Your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

1. Devonta Freeman

2. Alex Mack

3. Hooper

4. Campbell

5. Beasley

6. Clayborne

These are the 6 main guys that could possibly be cut to save cap. The question is looking at this year's draft class which of these guys can be replaced by week 1 of next year? Which of these guys would be hardest to replace? I personally think the defensive guys would be easiest to replace on a budget. Your thoughts?

My answer will be 5, 1, and 4, but what round?  Clayborn has played better than Beasley as a pass rusher in his limited snaps on a snap per snap basis.  Freeman won’t matter since Dirk is calling the offense still and he doesn’t fit his scheme at all, and Campbell isn’t that good.  The rest are still replaceable, just not as easily replaced.

If Dirk wasn’t returning I’d keep 1, 2, 3, 6.  Since he is 2, 3, 6.

Just a minor correction. The last four guys are UFAs so they can't be cut.

I think Campbell is a goner. Beasley is probably a goner. I think they'll try to resign Clayborn and maybe Davison unless they think the mysterious Senat is ready. Let's not forget about Steven Means. He finished strong in '18 and would be a cheap signing. Hopefully his achilles is good. We'll probably add a vet or two on the line as well like we always do every year. Michael Bennett's name is getting thrown out there. The DL depth is severely lacking right now with the amount of UFAs we're about to have so they'll have to get especially creative there. We'll probably draft a pass rusher as well early. I also like Simmons out of Clemson. Game changer at LB if he lasts to our pick.

Freeman is replaceable. Mack stays. He has too much value despite his declining play. My feeling with Hooper is they'll try to resign him but he'll sign elsewhere. Maybe the Patriots. 

On a player not listed. I think they'll dangle Trufant out there in a trade to a CB hungry team like the Eagles. He's still a starting caliber CB.

4 and 5 should go, especially 4. 6 is a really good player, but he's reached an age where we should be evaluating replacements anyway. I'd rather the other three stay.

Based on 2019 performance, Freeman's ostensibly the easiest to replace, but I don't think we're interested in letting him go for obvious reasons.

Mack's status isn't easily determined. He had a down year but he's been spectacular for us. I don't think we can easily replace a fringe Hall of Fame player. And Hooper has a special connection with Matt.

So, if three go and three stay, I see the choice as pretty easy.

Last 4 in your list are UFAs, as someone said. Not talking strictly replacing in the draft here since that'd be suicidal, so I'm including FA in the equation. From easiest to hardest:

1) Freeman - past his prime, great RB class and already outperformed by guys on the roster. Love the dude but DK can't get it out of him.

2) Beasley - I say he's easier than Clay because a guy like Irvin replaces what he brings at a fraction of the cost and with a better motor. 

3) Campbell - always been a below average to average LB. Hardest thing to replace is the chemistry and communication and that's always appeared to be his weak point.

4) Clayborne - value him more than most. He was arguably our most consistent pass rusher, though he's certainly nothing special right now (see: Takk). Got 2 mil last year, 32 coming off a season with 4 sacks...won't be hard to keep for cheap.

5) Hooper - the hardest if you look strictly at his production and where he ranks among others at his position. But he's easier than Mack in terms of the draft (takes centers a lot longer to "get it" than TEs) and additional compensation this season, as well as how free agency is looking.

6) Mack - not the best center in the league anymore, but still well above average and with center being such a hard spot to replace (especially in the draft) this is a toughie.

Freeman is the easiest to replace by a long shot.  

We should never have resigned him to such a lucrative deal.  He should have burdened another team with that contract.  

Unless you have a generational RB, don't waste your time or cap space on a major second contract.  Concentrate your efforts on the OL and you will always have a young RB available to you in the draft that can produce.  

SMH.  I thought TD and Arthur were smarter than that. 

8 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

1. Devonta Freeman

2. Alex Mack

3. Hooper

4. Campbell

5. Beasley

6. Clayborne

Freeman.  Not even close honestly.  We could spend a 2 and increase production from his spot significantly.

Of course, the problem is, we draft RBs all the time.  Nearly every season.  So at some point you ride with the guys you brought to the team or you spend some draft capital to get what you really need.  Because while it's easy to replace Freeman in the draft, finding a guy like him in the 4th is less likely.  Not that it is impossible, but just less likely.

Behind him I'd say Campbell.  Beasley and Clayborne theoretically ought to be easy to replace, but the draft for edge rushers is a crap shoot, as we've found out.  You'd have to spend a 1st, and there are no guarantees.  I'd rather get one really good FA there and address other areas in the draft.

Hooper is the hardest unless you're spending your 1st on a TE and I just don't think we have that luxury.  TE is not an easy position to come in as a rookie and excel.  Mack is probably the 2nd hardest for two reasons.  One, he's really irreplaceable, and two, C is also a hard position to learn coming in.  The only reason I suggest he's easier to replace than Hoop is we can legitimately get a good producing center in the 2nd or 3rd, and I don't think we come close to getting a good producing TE there, so I think you have to burn more draft capital to replace Hooper than Mack.  But the truth is, you aren't "replacing" either one for next season.  That's a future move if you draft a TE or C.

8 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

1. Devonta Freeman

2. Alex Mack

3. Hooper

4. Campbell

5. Beasley

6. Clayborne

By week 1, the only ones who can be replaced without a drop off are Freeman and Campbell.  Highly touted LBs and RBs (round 1-3 selections) can usually plug and play.  TE's, Centers, and DE's usually take a few years to develop.  Nick Bosa's who are absolute stud DE's from day 1 don't exactly grow on trees.    

6 hours ago, etherdome said:

We should never have resigned him to such a lucrative deal.  He should have burdened another team with that contract.  

Unless you have a generational RB, don't waste your time or cap space on a major second contract.  Concentrate your efforts on the OL and you will always have a young RB available to you in the draft that can produce.  

If Devonta Freeman played like he did in 2016 I'd be glad to pay him but unfortunately injuries and changing scheme caught up with him.

6 hours ago, etherdome said:

giphy.gif

On 1/9/2020 at 11:44 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

1. Devonta Freeman

2. Alex Mack

3. Hooper

4. Campbell

5. Beasley

6. Clayborne

Freeman Beasley Clayborn Campbell in that order. Include Crawford too.

Edited by GATXBOI

On 1/10/2020 at 0:44 AM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

1. Devonta Freeman

2. Alex Mack

3. Hooper

4. Campbell

5. Beasley

6. Clayborne

If I had to cut 3 players out of these ,, I'd cut in this order....

1.Clayborne ,

2.Campbell ,

3. Devonta Freeman..   

Unless they were willing to redo there contracts to help us do what the team needs to do.