fuego

Speaking of needing a running game...

54 posts in this topic

...I saw a graphic on Speak For Yourself concerning the NFL's top offenses this year. Out of the top 5 passing teams, only the Chiefs (who were 5th) made the playoffs. The Falcons were number 3 in  passing yards behind Tampa Bay and Dallas (Rams were 4th). Of the top 5 rushing teams, the first 4 made it, Baltimore, SF, Tennessee, and Seattle (Dallas was #5). Dallas was top 5 in both categories and didn't make it. We need a good running back and need to establish our running game. Minnesota is also in the playoffs and they are the #6 rushing team.

Top 5 net pass YPG:

TB, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, KC

Top 5 rush YPG:

Baltimore, SF, TN, Seattle, Dallas, Minnesota 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to bring back Patrick DiMarco. We are currently without a FB under contract for 2020, and Pat happens to be a FA. Not only would he fill that need, he would help fill arguably our biggest need on the team, and that is the lack of vocal leaders on and off the field. Pick up dimarco, Bruce Irvin, and Michael Bennett in FA, and that veteran leadership would be an underrated asset towards getting us back to contention. We need the veteran leadership we had on the 2016 team with Freeney, DiMarco, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I would like to bring back Patrick DiMarco. We are currently without a FB under contract for 2020, and Pat happens to be a FA. Not only would he fill that need, he would help fill arguably our biggest need on the team, and that is the lack of vocal leaders on and off the field. Pick up dimarco, Bruce Irvin, and Michael Bennett in FA, and that veteran leadership would be an underrated asset towards getting us back to contention. We need the veteran leadership we had on the 2016 team with Freeney, DiMarco, etc.  

Concentrate on the OL first and foremost.  We are in the middle of a re-build and we should not take our eyes off of that goal.  

gtech1 and Refried Beans like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Concentrate on the OL first and foremost.  We are in the middle of a re-build and we should not take our eyes off of that goal.  

I wouldn't say rebuild, that seems premature at this point. 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fuego said:

...I saw a graphic on Speak For Yourself concerning the NFL's top offenses this year. Out of the top 5 passing teams, only the Chiefs (who were 5th) made the playoffs. The Falcons were number 3 in  passing yards behind Tampa Bay and Dallas (Rams were 4th). Of the top 5 rushing teams, the first 4 made it, Baltimore, SF, Tennessee, and Seattle (Dallas was #5). Dallas was top 5 in both categories and didn't make it. We need a good running back and need to establish our running game. Minnesota is also in the playoffs and they are the #6 rushing team.

Top 5 net pass YPG:

TB, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, KC

Top 5 rush YPG:

Baltimore, SF, TN, Seattle, Dallas, Minnesota 

I’m personally not a fan of this graphic, they showed a similar one during the Seahawks/Philly game on Sunday as well.  Overall yardage doesn’t mean much as it can be skewed and dictated if playing from in front, behind, chunk yards, etc.  Just because you have the most in something, doesn’t mean you are good at it, let alone the best, a lot of times it just mean you did it more often.  

Our problem is we aren’t efficient running and we didn’t do it enough.  Also, we may have been top five in yardage but we were no where near a top 5 passing offense, we finished 12th in passing DVOA and TB was 18th, neither of those teams struck fear in defensive coordinators eyes more than New Orleans or Baltimore.

That’s why I prefer DVOA as it tells a much more consistent story and lines up much better with the eye test than just total yards.  

Top 5 Rushing DVOA Teams
1. Baltimore
2. Arizona
3. Dallas
4. Green Bay
5. Tennessee

Top 5 Passing DVOA Teams
1. Baltimore
2. Kansas City
3. New Orleans
4. Seattle
5. Dallas

It’s much more balanced when looking at efficiency, point is you can’t be one dimensional which we were last year.  By either way you look at it Dallas is the anomaly because this entirely ignores the defensive side of the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I would like to bring back Patrick DiMarco. We are currently without a FB under contract for 2020, and Pat happens to be a FA. Not only would he fill that need, he would help fill arguably our biggest need on the team, and that is the lack of vocal leaders on and off the field. Pick up dimarco, Bruce Irvin, and Michael Bennett in FA, and that veteran leadership would be an underrated asset towards getting us back to contention. We need the veteran leadership we had on the 2016 team with Freeney, DiMarco, etc.  

Agree fully. If our cap situation is as sticky as it seems - we need to fill in the blanks with salary min / reasonable salary veterans, not castoff 7th rounders or UDFAs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fuego said:

...I saw a graphic on Speak For Yourself concerning the NFL's top offenses this year. Out of the top 5 passing teams, only the Chiefs (who were 5th) made the playoffs. The Falcons were number 3 in  passing yards behind Tampa Bay and Dallas (Rams were 4th). Of the top 5 rushing teams, the first 4 made it, Baltimore, SF, Tennessee, and Seattle (Dallas was #5). Dallas was top 5 in both categories and didn't make it. We need a good running back and need to establish our running game. Minnesota is also in the playoffs and they are the #6 rushing team.

Top 5 net pass YPG:

TB, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, KC

Top 5 rush YPG:

Baltimore, SF, TN, Seattle, Dallas, Minnesota 


Very telling stats!!!  Thanks for sharing.  NO DOUBT we need a BIG,FAST running back (to go with our #3 passing game), and unfortunately, Freeman ain't that guy!  Or, Ito.  And we haven't seen enough of Ollison to really know WHAT he can do. 
Without researching it, I don't know what RBs will be available in the draft.....we need so many pieces, I wouldn't want to draft a back before about the 3rd or 4th round....but, at some point, we're going to have to bite the bullet and get a RB, either in the Draft, or FA , if we want to be a legitimate contender in the near future --- 



 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did an analysis last year of every Super Bowl Winning Team since the merger.  They accumulated all the data and created an average for the SB winners.  Here is what they found.   On Average

Offense Rank: 10th

Defense Rank: 10th

Passing Yards Rank:  10th

Rushing Yards Rank:  10th

So let’s try for 10th best across the board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just goes back to what I've said this team can try to be a pass first team all they want

 Regardless if they have Julio, Ridley, Sanu, Hooper, Gabriel etc. This offense is nothing without the run game. We are not built to pass the football 40 times a game to win. It's been in our team's DNA for a long time now. 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, caponine said:

It just goes back to what I've said this team can try to be a pass first team all they want

 Regardless if they have Julio, Ridley, Sanu, Hooper, Gabriel etc. This offense is nothing without the run game. We are not built to pass the football 40 times a game to win. It's been in our team's DNA for a long time now. 

And the run game has mostly been in the toilet because the OL is usually below-average. Vicious cycle.

Lowndesfalc and RING OF HONOR like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

And the run game has mostly been in the toilet because the OL is usually below-average. Vicious cycle.

Half n half tbh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as we still need to fix the pass rush, I wouldn’t be too upset if we grab the Wisconsin center in the first to play LG and eventually center and then the Ohio State RB in the 2nd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vel said:

Dang @Rings you beat me but here's the tweet I was going to post

It's almost like volume/counting stats are typically wrong because they don't tell the whole story. 

Also, run from any strategy that Gettleman thinks is a good one.

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Redswingline2 said:

I wouldn't say rebuild, that seems premature at this point. 

Think he means a rebuild to the OL which we definitely are. Need to shore up that LG position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To call the Bucs the top passing team is flat out wrong. Maybe in yards. Winston threw 30 picks this year. They were one of the worst passing teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, caponine said:

It just goes back to what I've said this team can try to be a pass first team all they want

 Regardless if they have Julio, Ridley, Sanu, Hooper, Gabriel etc. This offense is nothing without the run game. We are not built to pass the football 40 times a game to win. It's been in our team's DNA for a long time now. 

It’s cool to be built the way we are. But we’re at our best when we have a running game. We were a passing team in 2012 AND 2016 and 17 but we were EFFICIENT at running the ball. It’s not about PASS first or RUN first. That doesn’t mean anything Foreal because you have to be able to do both. If Henry gets shut down the titans lose. If turner was shut down we lost more than not. That term ends first or pass first is bs. It’s about being dominant in one and efficient in the other. Pass or run. In 16 we were dominant in the pass and efficient running. THAT is the key to success. Being able to do both. The broncos with TD were dominant running and efficient passing. 

Schwarzwald, Vandy and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 5:16 AM, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I would like to bring back Patrick DiMarco. We are currently without a FB under contract for 2020, and Pat happens to be a FA. Not only would he fill that need, he would help fill arguably our biggest need on the team, and that is the lack of vocal leaders on and off the field. Pick up dimarco, Bruce Irvin, and Michael Bennett in FA, and that veteran leadership would be an underrated asset towards getting us back to contention. We need the veteran leadership we had on the 2016 team with Freeney, DiMarco, etc.  

FALCONS have suffered since Patrick DiMarco's departure!  He was great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, FalconJim said:


Very telling stats!!!  Thanks for sharing.  NO DOUBT we need a BIG,FAST running back (to go with our #3 passing game), and unfortunately, Freeman ain't that guy!  Or, Ito.  And we haven't seen enough of Ollison to really know WHAT he can do. 
Without researching it, I don't know what RBs will be available in the draft.....we need so many pieces, I wouldn't want to draft a back before about the 3rd or 4th round....but, at some point, we're going to have to bite the bullet and get a RB, either in the Draft, or FA , if we want to be a legitimate contender in the near future --- 



 

Most if the better backs will be gone by our 3rd rnd pick, but someone that will fall that prob shouldn't is 2012's bou AJ Dillon. 5'11 and nearly 250 lbs, that should run late 4.5s. Has really good vision and can stay at rb ok n NFL but he's going to get stuck with the move to FB label and fall into rnds 3-5. 

Dude reminds me a bit of Jerome Bettis while others think Alstott. 

FalconJim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 1:52 PM, TheFatboi said:

It’s cool to be built the way we are. But we’re at our best when we have a running game. We were a passing team in 2012 AND 2016 and 17 but we were EFFICIENT at running the ball. It’s not about PASS first or RUN first. That doesn’t mean anything Foreal because you have to be able to do both. If Henry gets shut down the titans lose. If turner was shut down we lost more than not. That term ends first or pass first is bs. It’s about being dominant in one and efficient in the other. Pass or run. In 16 we were dominant in the pass and efficient running. THAT is the key to success. Being able to do both. The broncos with TD were dominant running and efficient passing. 

And this is where it comes back to best use of what you have and a OC whose clued up enough to realise how to exploit other teams pass or run.Short passes are as good as runs to a lot forget that.

This is been my whole thing I just want to see a bunch of coaches being able to maximise what we have now before we think about adding anything.

Think JBOs thread was pretty telling showing how much of a Jekyll and Hyde act we are as a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now