Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lowndesfalc

ESPN’s McClure says Falcons let Beasly, Hooper, Campbell walk

13 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Given how stupid this team is we will let Hooper walk who will become a HOF TE and resign Beasley for 5 years 70 million.

Hooper HOF? :lol:

Hooper is a good - not great - TE.   I said Hooper should have been traded before the deadline and Falcons couldn't afford him and was skewered on the board.   Hooper is in no way worth $10mm/season and frankly, w/ Falcons cap situation, they shouldn't even spend $7mm/yr on a TE.

If Falcons let Hooper walk, maybe they get a 4th round comp pick in 2021 - could have gotten a 2nd rounder in 2020 had they just agreed to trade him - huge mistake!    Yugggggggge!!!

13 hours ago, Lowndesfalc said:

https://es.pn/2sZdDYI

•  
6:00 AM ET
  • mcclure_vaughn.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro
    Vaughn McClureESPN Staff Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- In a perfect world, the Atlanta Falcons would bring back tight end Austin Hooper next season as a pass-catching threat alongside wide receivers Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley.

The salary cap makes matters imperfect -- the Falcons currently have about $200 million in contract commitments for 2020 -- which is why Hooper’s future with the franchise is unclear.

Best of NFL Nation

Both general manager Thomas Dimitroff and team president Rich McKay said they are not concerned about the team’s salary-cap situation heading into 2020. And there’s been some restructuring already with the contracts of quarterback Matt Ryan and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett to create a little more cap space. But that doesn’t mean the Falcons are prepared to offer Hooper a lucrative deal that resets the tight-end market, like what his camp is expecting. And the team is hesitant to go the franchise-tag route knowing it would mean a cap hit of about $10.7 million in 2020.

Just imagine the financial demands Hooper could have made had a sprained MCL not thrown off his torrid pace. Through the first eight weeks of the season, he ranked fifth in the NFL among all receivers with 52 receptions. He finished the season with a career-best 75 catches for 787 yards and six touchdowns despite missing three games.

"Austin has improved every single season, earned the first of many Pro Bowls [2018], and is coming off a career season at just 25 years old," said Steve Caric, Hooper’s agent who has yet to discuss an offer with the Falcons. “He’s a top-5 tight end in the NFL right now and his best football is in front of him. I expect an aggressive market for him."

We’ll see how everything plays out for Hooper, who told the Atlanta media he would be open to returning to the Falcons depending on whether an offer is made. The chemistry Hooper has established with Ryan through their offseason workouts in California can't be overlooked. Whatever the case, Hooper is arguably the most intriguing of the Falcons’ pending free agents.

Here's how things could play out:

Austin Hooper, tight end

Notable numbers: 75 receptions, 787 yards, six touchdowns, 96 targets, one drop, 313 yards after the catch, 41 first downs in 2019.

2019 earnings: $2.025 million

Quoting Hooper: “I’m not going to speak on [the contract situation] too much. It’s a business. Obviously I would like to be here. I’m open to coming back here. But I know that I haven’t received an offer yet. If I do, I’d definitely like to be here."

Projecting the outcome: The Falcons, with so much money tied up in top players such as Ryan, Julio Jones, Jarrett, and Deion Jones, will pass on signing Hooper to a lucrative extension and let him sign elsewhere. And Hooper will exceed $10 million per year with his new team. Meanwhile, the Falcons will see what they have in Jaeden Graham, who filled in nicely when Hooper was hurt this past season and is due to make $585,000 in 2020. The Falcons also will look hard at the draft class to find a potential pass-catching threat.

Vic Beasley Jr., edge rusher

Notable numbers: Beasley, who led the league with 15.5 sacks in 16 games through the 2016 season, recorded just 18 sacks in 46 games from 2017 to '19. He enjoyed a surge in the second half of 2019, with 6.5 sacks and two forced fumbles through eight games.

2019 earnings: $12.81 million (fifth-year option)

Quoting Beasley: “I’m excited. I’m at peace. I’m just going to continue to work. We’ll see [about re-signing with Falcons] when the time comes. Right now, I’m going to enjoy this offseason and just take it a day at a time."

Projecting the outcome: The Falcons, who dangled Beasley before this past season’s trade deadline with no takers, will let him walk and start over elsewhere as they focus their attention on shoring up the pass rush via free agency and the draft. It might be a little hard to swallow for head coach Dan Quinn, considering Beasley was his first draft pick. Some in the front office actually had sights set on running back Todd Gurley in that draft, according to league sources. But Quinn will swallow the loss knowing Beasley just wasn’t consistent enough to warrant a lucrative extension or even another one-year "prove it" deal.

De'Vondre Campbell, linebacker

Notable numbers: Campbell led the Falcons in 2019 with 129 combined tackles, including 75 solos. He also led the team with three forced fumbles and had two sacks and six tackles for loss. Campbell also had two interceptions.

2019 earnings: $2.025 million

Quoting Campbell: “I would love to be here. I'm used to the city. I just don't want to have to pick up and go figure out a new city, a new coaching staff. But if that's what I have to do, that's what I have to do. I know they appreciate me, but business is business. And sometimes, no matter how much you appreciate somebody, it doesn't always work out like that."

Projecting the outcome: Sure, the Falcons would like to have Campbell back, and assistant head coach/linebackers Jeff Ulbrich has a strong affection for a guy he personally scouted during the draft process. But the Falcons would have to re-sign Campbell to a bargain deal, and power agent Drew Rosenhaus is going to get the most for his client and sell teams on Campbell’s size and production. Campbell’s confidence is through the roof but the knock has been his lack of instincts.

Younghoe Koo, kicker

Notable numbers: In eight games with the Falcons in 2019, Koo made 23 of 26 field goals with a long of 50 yards and made 15 of 16 extra points. He also handled kickoffs and showed a great proficiency with the onside kick -- not to mention he recovered a fumble.

2019 earnings: $570,000 base (prorated over eight games)

Quoting Koo: “I’m grateful for the opportunity they have given me -- I think it was Week 8 -- and I just tried to capitalize on my opportunities whenever I got my name called. This is what you dream of. This is what I’ve dreamed about. Hopefully I can stay and just try to do my job as best as I can."

Projecting the outcome: In the postseason news conference, Quinn said he would open up the kicking job to competition yet added how Koo made a strong case for himself. The Falcons won’t want to dig around for another leg knowing Koo is capable -- although they did not give his representatives any indication they'd re-sign him immediately. Having Koo return will be the best option for a team looking to rebound and make a playoff run in 2020.

•  

Gotta keep Hoop!!!  Some way, some how!  The last thing we need to do is let him go to New Orleans or New England, or even Carolina.  Campbell and especially Beasley are replaceable, imo., if it means keeping Hooper.   

5 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

To be fair we had this exact same debate on Grady Jarrett a year ago. That’s all I will say there

also you listed 4 better TEs, and of of them doesn’t even play in the NFL anymore.

i get if we can’t keep him, but I won’t try to downplay the guy and **** in him to support the stance. Our fans have a way of doing that to the players, which is BS.

Grady and his agent didn't demand he be the top-paid NFL DT with his new contract like Hooper's agent wants. I think almost to a man, those saying we should save the money and let Hooper go elsewhere have not denigrated him. Saying he isn't a game-changer like Kelce, Ertz or Kittle is not ******* on him.

Most everybody here appreciates what Hooper has been able to do. Nobody in TATF put the team in the situation where Hooper was going to have to go elsewhere. Also, regardless of which of our handful you care to discuss, my general feeling remains unchanged: No Sacred Cows. Team first, always.

5 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Obviously the Falcons are better with Hooper. The problem is you can't keep everyone and pay them top 5 contracts. Ryan, Julio, Grady, Deion, Freeman, Trufant, others I'm missing? Someone has to go. 

nobody ever thought the day would come when we couldn't re-sign whoever we wanted when we wanted.  That day is here - welcome to 2020.

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Grady and his agent didn't demand he be the top-paid NFL DT with his new contract like Hooper's agent wants. I think almost to a man, those saying we should save the money and let Hooper go elsewhere have not denigrated him. Saying he isn't a game-changer like Kelce, Ertz or Kittle is not ******* on him.

Most everybody here appreciates what Hooper has been able to do. Nobody in TATF put the team in the situation where Hooper was going to have to go elsewhere. Also, regardless of which of our handful you care to discuss, my general feeling remains unchanged: No Sacred Cows. Team first, always.

^^^^This.

People try to turn "Re-Sign Hooper or Let Hooper Go" as a referendum on "you just hate Hoop" and "your crazy to say let Hoop Go/Trade him".     They missed the point and now they are being forced to confront it.

In a salary cap league - if you draft well enough and keep enough players - you eventually come to the point where you will have to let someone go.   There is not one player the Falcons have re-signed of late - Ryan, Julio, Grady and Debo - that I would let go before Hoop.   It's not just about Trufant or Freeman either.   We have to create and are creating money - just so there will be enough room to get Top 51 under contract.

I said before the trade deadline (when Hoop was still healthy) that he should be traded much the way Sanu was.   If Falcons end up letting Hoop walk, then they bungled it.

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

Still producing and some on here may not like him but the guy has been a leader on his teams.... 

Exactly what we need... a vet who should not cost a lot but he brings versatility (rush at end and Dt) , and vet leadership, and can still produce

I could be wrong, but from what I have seen of him, his production appears to be primarily from technique and tenacity as opposed to physical talent.  Which is a plus, imo.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

^^^^This.

People try to turn "Re-Sign Hooper or Let Hooper Go" as a referendum on "you just hate Hoop" and "your crazy to say let Hoop Go/Trade him".     They missed the point and now they are being forced to confront it.

In a salary cap league - if you draft well enough and keep enough players - you eventually come to the point where you will have to let someone go.   There is not one player the Falcons have re-signed of late - Ryan, Julio, Grady and Debo - that I would let go before Hoop.   It's not just about Trufant or Freeman either.   We have to create and are creating money - just so there will be enough room to get Top 51 under contract.

I said before the trade deadline (when Hoop was still healthy) that he should be traded much the way Sanu was.   If Falcons end up letting Hoop walk, then they bungled it.

Yeah but you know how logic sits with the fine folk of TATF

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

^^^^This.

Don't think they really bungled it since they'll set get a comp pick, but I get both viewpoints. Not trading Vic last season was a way more egregious mistake imho

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't like the "He's not a game changer like Kelce, Ertz, or Kittle" argument. How many of those guys are playing with a Julio or Ridley (or Sanu to a point)? None. Also, notice you can only name three TEs in good faith better than Hooper. And all three are older than him. He may not be a game changer, but in a league short on quality TEs, he's one of the better ones with runway to ascend to a potential top three guy. 

I'll put it pretty simple though. The reason it's tight on Hooper right now is because of one Vic Beasley. This is why that move continues to haunt this team. His cap hit of $13MM was entirely too massive for the projected return. You could have cut him and just rolled it over and franchised Hooper for less. Like you said, we didn't put this team in this situation, the FO did. Lack of foresight. 

37 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Don't think they really bungled it since they'll set get a comp pick, but I get both viewpoints. Not trading Vic last season was a way more egregious mistake imho

They tried to trade Vic...nobody wanted him.

Back to Hoop, a comp pick is 18 months away whereas a traded pick is 6 months away.  Also, even getting a 3rd round pick would be higher than a 3rd round comp pick - and much sooner as well.

40 minutes ago, vel said:

I don't like the "He's not a game changer like Kelce, Ertz, or Kittle" argument. How many of those guys are playing with a Julio or Ridley (or Sanu to a point)? None. Also, notice you can only name three TEs in good faith better than Hooper. And all three are older than him. He may not be a game changer, but in a league short on quality TEs, he's one of the better ones with runway to ascend to a potential top three guy. 

I'll put it pretty simple though. The reason it's tight on Hooper right now is because of one Vic Beasley. This is why that move continues to haunt this team. His cap hit of $13MM was entirely too massive for the projected return. You could have cut him and just rolled it over and franchised Hooper for less. Like you said, we didn't put this team in this situation, the FO did. Lack of foresight. 

I don't see how you're bolstering your point by stating Kelce, Ertz nor Kittle are playing with a Julio or Ridley, so therefore Hooper doesn't have the opportunity to be a game-changing player.

Since we DO have Julio, Ridley, Gage, et al,  why do we need to pay top-of-the-market price to keep Hooper when we have a young TE who can very likely provide 90 percent of the production Hooper would be able to provide in the current receiver pecking order?

If neither really has the chance to be a game-changer for us, why pay $10 mill per/season for one instead of $585,000 per season for the other?

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

They tried to trade Vic...nobody wanted him.

Back to Hoop, a comp pick is 18 months away whereas a traded pick is 6 months away.  Also, even getting a 3rd round pick would be higher than a 3rd round comp pick - and much sooner as well.

"Last season" meaning the season they got 3rd and 2nd round pick offers, before they took the 5th year option. And I get you about which pick is higher/faster... just don't think instant gratification is the way to go. I get why we kept him regardless...just hate the idea of having a 6th offensive player where we're setting the market or giving a top 5 contract (Mack, Julio, Ryan, Matthews, Freeman) when we have the highest offensive spending in the league already.

I think we're mostly on the same page...I just know we already have a lot of draft ammo already, so another pick (especially when TD loves trading up) would likely be squandered.

32 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I don't see how you're bolstering your point by stating Kelce, Ertz nor Kittle are playing with a Julio or Ridley, so therefore Hooper doesn't have the opportunity to be a game-changing player.

Since we DO have Julio, Ridley, Gage, et al,  why do we need to pay top-of-the-market price to keep Hooper when we have a young TE who can very likely provide 90 percent of the production Hooper would be able to provide in the current receiver pecking order?

If neither really has the chance to be a game-changer for us, why pay $10 mill per/season for one instead of $585,000 per season for the other?

Because those guys are focal points of the offense. Even so, Hooper was on pace for a 1000 yard season if he didn't get hurt. At least flirting with it. 

I agree with the rest though. I just think saying Hooper isn't like those guys is cheap. He's very comparable to Zach Ertz. He's just not a first or second read, so the production isn't there comparably. Having a Julio and Ridley makes a guy like Graham a worthwhile replacement. I just don't trust Koetter can adjust this offense to lose a Hooper. 

6 hours ago, atljbo said:

I get it.... I want hoop back..... Hoop is a **** good TE... I just thought  we would have trouble signing him at 8 mil..... His agent sound like he trying to get the house.... 

Can we pay hoop 11 mIL a year... yes... but bro we can't sit here and cry about not having pieces on the D-Line when your QB, WR, TE, LT,and Center (and I'm not even adding free) are like the tops paid at their position.

Trust me.. I want hoop back .... I wouldn't be surprise if we tagged hoop... you can make his cap hit  doable this year signing him to a long term deal

I can understand if they said it sucks but we can put that money here on defense...

We will see tho.... I think they will try hard as **** to keep him tho

Yeah I love hoop but if we can actually improve the lines might be worth letting him walk..I hate that.hes just hitting his stride and I wouldn't mind a tag till we can figure out a deal but I'm hoping his agent isn't trying to bend us over hard.

5 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Obviously the Falcons are better with Hooper. The problem is you can't keep everyone and pay them top 5 contracts. Ryan, Julio, Grady, Deion, Freeman, Trufant, others I'm missing? Someone has to go. 

Freeman and tru can walk unless tru takes a restructure 

18 hours ago, atljbo said:

I like Campbell but I think he is replaceable.... It depends on the price tag.. I would look at a Jamie Collins

Again.. You are not letting them walk just to let them walk... You are letting them walk to improve the team.... 

If we say .. Hoop will cost us 11 mil a year... We want him back but we want to add some talent and vet leader ship to the D-Line like a Michael Bennett

My point is... You gotta make some tough decisions ... I'd what's next but I do think it's a possibility.

now there you go, droppin all that logic and common sense, you forgot where you were posting didn't ya

@ya_boi_j

talk to him bro, talk to him

:ninja::mmmhmm::lol: