Report: Falcons add Joe Whitt Jr. to defensive staff

FentayeJones

The Atlanta Falcons have hired former Cleveland Browns defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr. to be the team's secondary coach, according to a tweet by NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport.

The #Falcons have hired former #Browns defensive passing game coordinator and secondary coach Joe Whitt, source said. A big hire for Dan Quinn.

Whitt was a key part of Cleveland's defensive staff in 2019, helping the team finish as the No. 7 pass defense in the NFL. The Browns allowed just 216.9 passing yards per game last season and had an interception rate of 2.73 percent, which was sixth-best in the league. Prior to joining Cleveland, Whitt was with the Green Bay Packers from 2008-18. Whitt's roles with the Packers included defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator.

In 2007, Whitt served as an assistant defensive backs coach for Bobby Petrino's staff with the Falcons. Former passing game coordinator Jerome Henderson parted ways with the Falcons this offseason. Atlanta allowed 244.9 yards per game through the air in 2019, which ranked 22nd among all NFL teams.

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

But he's with the Browns, so he's awful...right? That's how it works.

:lol:

Glad this happened. Now, replace Chris Morgan...please.

Chris and Quinn have too much history together im afraid.. Im the biggest proponent for replacing Morgan, just afraid as long as Quinn is here.. Morgan will be oline coach

I’m not overly familiar with him per se, but I remember at one point the Browns were literally signing guys off the street and plugging them into the lineup days before a game and they were going out there looking like the real thing. That speaks to some good teaching somewhere.

Cautiously optimistic.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I’m not overly familiar with him per se, but I remember at one point the Browns were literally signing guys off the street and plugging them into the lineup days before a game and they were going out there looking like the real thing. That speaks to some good teaching somewhere.

Cautiously optimistic.

Your posts are generally spot on, but you confused me with the bolded area above. I'm not sure you can teach a guy how to cover in a day or two...

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Your posts are generally spot on, but you confused me with the bolded area above. I'm not sure you can teach a guy how to cover in a day or two...

Think he is just saying they weren’t high quality draft picks but undrafted guys or retreads that performed well in limited time under his tutelage 

5 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

That’s exactly what made what I saw so impressive.

We had guys six weeks into the season still looking lost on basic assignments and they picked up guys and plugged them right into the lineup and got something out of them.

24 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Cautiously optimistic.

I posted this in another thread 

37 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

If that's the hill he's dying on, so be it. 

I just don't understand how Quinn gets a pass on keeping Morgan as bad as our oline has preformed since hes been here.. How does Quinn even justify that to Blank? We had a oline made up of all 1st round picks that performed like a high school line, i honestly dont believe Blank has the interest in football as much as he just wants wins.. At least Jerry Jones understands the game, im beginning to see Blank is just clueless 

14 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That’s exactly what made what I saw so impressive.

We had guys six weeks into the season still looking lost on basic assignments and they picked up guys and plugged them right into the lineup and got something out of them.

He + Morris are two solid coaching hires. 

Whitt Jr. Is known for coaching his DBs to be aggressive. Could we actually be moving away from our passive approach in secondary?