Cut these 3 players, and our cap goes up to at least 23.75 million

Cuts:

*Post June 1st cuts are not available on OTC.com right now, due to the CBA expiring. These savings are Pre-June 1st numbers. 

- OL Ty Sambrailo (3.75 million in cap savings)

- DL Allen Bailey (4.5 million in cap savings)

- RB Devonta Freeman (3.5 million in savings. I believe his Post-June 1st savings number is 6.5 million. Don't quote me. Can't remember exactly.)

* I didn't doesn't include cutting Alex Mack, but cutting him would be 8 million in cap savings. 

* Our projected cap after the Jarrett and Ryan restructure was 12 million. After these cuts, the cap room goes up to 23.75 million. Not the cap **** we all imagined lol. It would be 31.75 million if you add in Mack, and 33.75 if we Post-June 1st cut Schaub(2.0 mil). He is our best backup, so we need him as of now. 

That's 23.75 if all 3 are cut pre-june 1. If Freeman is desigalnated as post-june 1, then it goes up to 26.75. That's leant of room to rent-sign Hooper. If we cut Mack, drafted tyler biadasz in the 1st, didn't re-sign Hooper or Beasley, then we could actually go after Clowney or Ngakoue, although I'm more keen on keeping our guys and drafting to have rookie contracts.

8 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Cuts:

*Post June 1st cuts are not available on OTC.com right now, due to the CBA expiring. These savings are Pre-June 1st numbers. 

- OL Ty Sambrailo (3.75 million in cap savings)

- DL Allen Bailey (4.5 million in cap savings)

- RB Devonta Freeman (3.5 million in savings. I believe his Post-June 1st savings number is 6.5 million. Don't quote me. Can't remember exactly.)

* I didn't doesn't include cutting Alex Mack, but cutting him would be 8 million in cap savings. 

* Our projected cap after the Jarrett and Ryan restructure was 12 million. After these cuts, the cap room goes up to 23.75 million. Not the cap **** we all imagined lol. It would be 31.75 million if you add in Mack, and 33.75 if we Post-June 1st cut Schaub(2.0 mil). He is our best backup, so we need him as of now. 

That's 23.75 if all 3 are cut pre-june 1. If Freeman is desigalnated as post-june 1, then it goes up to 26.75. That's leant of room to rent-sign Hooper. If we cut Mack, drafted tyler biadasz in the 1st, didn't re-sign Hooper or Beasley, then we could actually go after Clowney or Ngakoue, although I'm more keen on keeping our guys and drafting to have rookie contracts.

You free up $24M and still have to add 12 players to get to a 53 man roster and claim it ain’t cap hail? It definitely ain’t cap heaven.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You free up $24M and still have to add 12 players to get to a 53 man roster and claim it ain’t cap hail? It definitely ain’t cap heaven.

Your not Factoring in The draft class incoming. That’s at least 7 players, probably more with our extra picks barring a trade up

While we currently have $11.349M in cap space, our cap is only being spent on 43 players.  The effective cap space we have is $7.269M.

Secondly, by cutting Freeman...that leaves you with a Brian Hill/Ito Smith backfield.  Freeman is no longer the bellcow he was in 2015-2017, but he can still be useful and is better than either of the two mentioned.  You can use one of the 2nds on an RB, but that’s going to put a lot of weight on that kids shoulders right off the bat.  And by cutting Bailey, that leaves the Falcons with exactly two DL under contract (Jarrett & Takk).

Not saying that either of these moves are off the table, but if followed thru on, there is a significant roster counter effect that won’t be painless.

All of those contracts are no-brainer cuts.

All 3 of those players would make my 53 at way lower numbers.

I've said before that a healthy free adds real value. That is just as rare as rooster teeth.

Bailey is fine depth, and Ty is better depth than most swing tackles. Keep at low numbers, cut if they have a good market in FA.

9 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

While we currently have $11.349M in cap space, our cap is only being spent on 43 players.  The effective cap space we have is $7.269M.

Secondly, by cutting Freeman...that leaves you with a Brian Hill/Ito Smith backfield.  Freeman is no longer the bellcow he was in 2015-2017, but he can still be useful and is better than either of the two mentioned.  You can use one of the 2nds on an RB, but that’s going to put a lot of weight on that kids shoulders right off the bat.  And by cutting Bailey, that leaves the Falcons with exactly two DL under contract (Jarrett & Takk).

Not saying that either of these moves are off the table, but if followed thru on, there is a significant roster counter effect that won’t be painless.

Free has to be a cut then re-sign. Has to be handled the right way. I'm not sure due to his injuries that FA will be all that lucrative, so we should be able to be competitive in re-signing him. He also seems to me like the kind of guy who would want to prove somehing here.

Side-note. It will be good to have Ito back. Olly showed some stuff this year. But realistically I'd be happy with drafting Free's replacement  in the 2nd-4th rounds if we can't sign him at a low number.

5 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

Free has to be a cut then re-sign. Has to be handled the right way. I'm not sure due to his injuries that FA will be all that lucrative, so we should be able to be competitive in re-signing him. He also seems to me like the kind of guy who would want to prove somehing here.

Side-note. It will be good to have Ito back. Olly showed some stuff this year. But realistically I'd be happy with drafting Free's replacement  in the 2nd-4th rounds if we can't sign him at a low number.

I think Freeman would see such an action as disrespectful.  While he may want to prove something here, I think he’d want to do so at his current contract.  If cut...I think he most certainly would look to find employment elsewhere.

Also, let’s not forget the human aspect of this.  On 11/30...it was largely assumed DQ at least (along with TD) was going to be fired.  Falcons go 4-0 in December while Freeman played his best ball of the season.  There is a message that’s sent to the rest of the locker room if DQ gets to keep his job but Freeman doesn’t and would follow a questionable trend of surviving while others (like Manuel & Sark) did not.

By keeping DQ/TD for 2020, Blank has put his (blind) faith in them to turn his franchise around.  I think with some guys on the roster, not all...that faith has to be paid forward. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Freeman in that category.

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I don't think it's cap **** because of 2 things.

1. We have a talented team... besides the 2 guards.... We are putting most of our money into good talent.

2. It's just this year that's tight tight.... next year being able to get those guards off the books and more... We can create a lot of cap space if needed.

The key tho.... I think we had a really really good draft last year that's going to pay off even more this year if we can remain healthy

We musttttt have a really good draft this year and we must get the bang for our buck in FA..... All the clowney stuff ain't happening..... If we can grab talent in the draft... bring back a Clayborn, Davison near tge vet min again....bring in a Michael Bennett who can still produce and bring some leadership... also help bring up John Cominsky (who I like more and more looking over the last couple of games again), takk, and the draft prospects.... if we can slide in a Jamie Collins... We straight

I don't think we have to do alot...  We just need to do **** right..... We gotta hit on the top 3 or 4 rounds.... That's the key

41 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

He's as good as gone.  Won't be back...

5 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Freeman has to be gone. 

Don’t forget that Hill is an RFA...so an original round tender contract would hit the 2020 cap at around $2.1M.

If you only save $3.5M by releasing Freeman, your net savings is $1.4M.  Is that worth letting Freeman go who is far more proven/versatile?

If you let go of both, that leaves Ito Smith...and I’m not sold on him at all as being any type of answer for our rushing attack.

5 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Don’t forget that Hill is an RFA...so an original round tender contract would hit the 2020 cap at around $2.1M.

If you only save $3.5M by releasing Freeman, your net savings is $1.4M.  Is that worth letting Freeman go who is far more proven/versatile?

If you let go of both, that leaves Ito Smith...and I’m not sold on him at all as being any type of answer for our rushing attack.

I don't like any of the 3 as my main guy.  If necessary, I would let them all go, and then I want a draft pick used on a great back. I want Swift.

35 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I'm good with drafting a player to replace him as early as round two. Freeman really hasn't done anything since he got his big contract. No reason for me to believe he will do something now.

38 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Why tender hill tho ? ... You can get him cheaper... Vet min.

Just because he us a RFA doesn't mean you have to tender him.... Hill will be available.

Plus I see us drafting a RB in the first 4 rounds

22 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

So #16 on Swift?  Don’t think he lasts until #47...

If I'm TD, I would do my due diligence, and see where Swift is going to fall. If he is going a little later in the first, trade back and gather more picks.  Either way I want Swift.  I am a firm believer in the running game making your overall team better. 

Many will say, "what about our defense?"  I say the TOP will help your defense immensely.  If it isn't feasible to take Swift in the 1st, that's ok, but we have to get a back that can carry the load in this draft.  Find somebody.

Edited by Boise Falcon Fan
Punctuation

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

If I'm TD, I would do my due diligence, and see where Swift is going to fall. If he is going a little later in the first, trade back and gather more picks.  Either way I want Swift.  I am a firm believer in the running game making your overall team better.  Many will say, what about our defense, I say the TOP will help your defense immensely.  If it isn't feasible to take Swift in the 1st, that's ok, but we have to get a back that can carry the load in this draft.  Find somebody.

I just don't see TD utilizing a pick that early for the RB position, and there are a lot of elements that represent a better running game, including the development of the O Line.  I do think Free get's released, and we'll eat the dead money and go into the year with Ito, Hill and Olli, but we will draft a RB in mid rounds.  The problems with our defense wasn't time on the field related to TOP of our offense.  We need to get better rushing the passer, and getting off the field on 3rd downs.  That's where I think early draft capital will go.  Solidify the defense first, and give our offense an extra 2-3 drives a game because we can get off the field and/or turnovers, equals better TOP for the O.

12 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Why tender hill tho ? ... You can get him cheaper... Vet min.

Just because he us a RFA doesn't mean you have to tender him.... Hill will be available.

Plus I see us drafting a RB in the first 4 rounds

If the league would pass on Hill allowing for him to be signed at such a low value...doesn't that speak to his ability?