TDWII’s Off-Season Musings: Now That the Direction Has Been Set

With Arthur Blank doing his best Norman Vale impersonation (‘My team is on the floor…’)…we know that 2020 is an all-in year for the Falcons.  While I, and perhaps more than some, would have preferred a reset…this is where we are.  But certain developments have been intriguing as the path toward making noise in 2020 starts in earnest.

Rich McKay:  From my POV, this is an interesting org chart change.  Blank has always wanted to trust the people he’s put in place to run his football team, taking a ‘whatever you need, you got approach’.  But I think Blank recognized that given 1) a 12-year professional (and likely personal) relationship with his GM and 2) his affinity for Quinn…he longer could serve as an objective resource in determining what was the best short AND long term course of action for his football team.

McKay’s hiatus from the football operation has been long.  But the degree by which Blank has leaned on him since 2007 hasn’t lessened as it pertained to other aspects of his sports empire.  So to that end, inserting McKay as another layer of management on the football side, is an acknowledgment that Blank may no longer be the best judge of the plan put before him to get the Falcons back on track.

To the degree this affects some of the major decisions the Falcons will need to make in the coming weeks/months is TBD.  But if it shows one thing, it’s that McKay’s job security is set. 

The Cap Situation: We know the Falcons 2020 Salary Cap situation is tight.  But the 2021 Salary Cap situation is probably more dire.  Here is where each years cap situation stands

2020: $189.5M – 43 players
2021: $187.0M – 25 players

Now certainly there is room to maneuver for 2021 and some of the cap figures represented are on players that likely have little chance of being part of the 2021 roster (Freeman, Brown, Sambrailo, Carpenter, Trufant).  So if each of the 5 above were cut next off-season, that would provide close to $32M in cap space.  So, that’s the good news.

The bad news though is that it would still have the Falcons at about a $155M cap number being spent on now 20 players which at the moment would still be 3rd worst in the NFL (behind PHI & MIN).  But with only 20 players signed – assuming an NFL cap increase to $210M…$55M to sign 31 players is not a lot of room.  And that doesn’t take into account 1) 2020 and 2021 rookie classes or 2) 2020 free agency which includes…

Austin Hooper:  At this stage, it seems likely that Hooper’s market is in the $10M AAV range.  Let’s structure this out a bit assuming a 4 year $40M template.  From a signing bonus perspective, in using recent TE deals inclusive of Trey Burton, Zach Ertz and Travis Kelce…the SB likely falls in the $7-8M range.  Which leaves $32-33M to be split in other bonuses, guarantees and salaries inclusive of the 2020-2023 seasons.  Given the Falcons already tight 2020 salary cap situation, if Hooper were to be signed, I suspect that 2020’s base salary would have to be fairly low.  Again, estimating this need – let’s make it $2M.  That still gives Hooper the likely salary cap nuts of $10-12M/year for the 2021 and beyond aspects of his contract.  Knowing the 2021 salary cap facts

So the question the Falcons really have to ask themselves as it relates to Hooper is – do they want to have $45M in cap space left to fill out 30 roster spots?  Not just that - signing Hooper would likely result in the Falcons having a more than 2:1 ratio of their salary cap space dedicated to offense.  Lastly, the cap hit for 2020’s first round pick alone in 2021 will be in excess of $3M.  

Free Agency & Draft: It seems at most the Falcons can do with their three key FA’s in Beasley, Hooper and Campbell is re-sign one…if they even do that.  But FA is still FA and you’ve got to have cap space to play.  Ultimately, I’d be surprised if the Falcons were able to make such noise.  At the same time – as mentioned above with the ‘all-in’ nature of the upcoming season, poor financial/cap decisions might be on the table in order for DQ/TD to stay in their current roles.  It’s why I think McKay has been inserted into the football organization again – to limit the downside in case things go off the rails again like they did in 2018-2019.

With what I think will be a limited foray into the 2020 FA pool, the draft becomes the main way the Falcons will be able to fill roster gaps, the most significant being the DL which currently has 3 defensive lineman under contract with more than 400 professional snaps on defense (Jarrett, Takk, Bailey).

If there is one good move we can all point to that the Falcons front office made in 2019, it was getting the 2nd rounder for Sanu.  Something I would think might be on the table is trading the #47 & #55 picks (780 DVC points) to secure another 1st rounder.  Perhaps it’s #47 and #78 (630 DVC).  Either way – the Falcons are in a position where FA might not be able to help fix some concerning areas on their roster and as such, with a nice draft capital haul – it might not be a bad idea to try and augment the defense with two 1st rounders.

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Some room for more possible restructures. But bottom line, Gotta hit some HRs in upcoming draft. 

The issue I have with the restructures is that it pushes money down the line...while we gained $12M in cap space in 2020, it pushed close to $6M in cap hits to 2021/2022.  Feel like we are robbing Peter to pay Paul on a roster that has ALOT of proving to do...and one in which if things don't go REALLY well in 2020, could be facing regime change.

Granted, those restructures could be executed next off-season to create 2021 room, but...just not a fan when the Falcons haven't exactly been knocking on the doorstep.

I know there's no choice but to look to the draft to fix most of our ills, but is it realistic to expect draft picks to come in and be impact players ~ especially OL and DL draftees? How is this realistic given the lack of readiness of most college lineman today?

This roster has to be trimmed to the bare bones, which means a lot of players that have been major contributors likely won't be around. Can this HC and coaching staff do more with less next season? Can the re-insertion of McKay somehow stave off disaster? Seems like a lot to hope for right now.

39 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

The issue I have with the restructures is that it pushes money down the line...while we gained $12M in cap space in 2020, it pushed close to $6M in cap hits to 2021/2022.  Feel like we are robbing Peter to pay Paul on a roster that has ALOT of proving to do...and one in which if things don't go REALLY well in 2020, could be facing regime change.

Granted, those restructures could be executed next off-season to create 2021 room, but...just not a fan when the Falcons haven't exactly been knocking on the doorstep.

I don’t necessarily disagree philosophically in most cases, but Like you said in OP, seems like falcons are going for it. If truly going for it, don’t do it half-***, but go all in during this remaining 2-year window.

If it doesn’t work, you blow it all up anyway. 

36 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I know there's no choice but to look to the draft to fix our most of our ills, but is it realistic to expect draft picks to come in and be impact players ~ especially OL and DL draftees? How is this realistic given the lack of readiness of most college lineman today?

This roster has to be trimmed to the bare bones, which means a lot of players that have been major contributors likely won't be around. Can this HC and coaching staff do more with less next season? Can the re-insertion of McKay somehow stave off disaster? Seems like a lot to hope for right now.

we definitely DON'T need to trade away any picks, esp not the second rounders. There are too many players in that range that can come in and help significantly. We only have to look back to 2016 to see that this crew can draft some good ones who can play important roles as rookies

3 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I know there's no choice but to look to the draft to fix our most of our ills, but is it realistic to expect draft picks to come in and be impact players ~ especially OL and DL draftees? How is this realistic given the lack of readiness of most college lineman today?

That’s why I wonder if trading up (again) is on the table.  We have the draft capital to do it without sacrificing the original amount of picks we had.   But if you can have the 2nd player you select in the draft be the 23rd/24th ranked player in the draft v 47th...I have to think that you feel better about that player contributing impact specifically in 2020.  Note: Guess who has the 23rd pick?  Good ol’ Hoodie - we can trade him back the #55 pick!

As I think about it...I think you’ll see the Falcons stand pat on a lot of guys in terms of moving them from the roster in favor of cap space.  There’ll need to be a necessary few...but I suspect wholesale releases just for the sake creating cap room are off the table for 2020.  2021...TBD.

5 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

With Koetter's offense I think Hooper is the only must re-sign. 

We can replace Beasley and Campbell in the draft or FA. 

I wouldn’t want to make a decision on Hooper that used Koetter’s offense as the criteria.  I know TD indicated Hooper is a priority...and that concerns me, because as I’ve stated elsewhere, I’d let him walk.

But as an example...look at TB and OJ Howard.  They used a 1st rounder on him in 2018.  He looked promising...and then they hired an HC who has no use for them (TE’s).

I think the reason why McKay was brought on board was to bring a post 2020 ‘in case of’ view to these conversations.  McKay is the only one of the three assured of a job in 2021.

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Some room for more possible restructures. But bottom line, Gotta hit some HRs in upcoming draft. 

It’s always been the case.

Ive been all about this since Ryan signed that first big deal.Thats the path we’ve been on draft develop and coach up to maximise value.

For me this is where this team has fallen down.

41 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm leaning towards letting Hooper walk or trying to tag and trade him. We need to stock up on picks the next two years. We should look to move trufant also. If we could get an extra 2nd and 3rd in this draft it'd go a long way in alleviating our cap.

Agree. Hooper is a nice piece, but we have Graham ready to step in. Will he be as good as Hoop? Probably not quite, but the difference is not worth $10 mill per season. As for Tru, basically the same situation, although I'd keep Tru over Hooper if I were Dimitroff and planned to keep one of them.

Being at Pick 16 in the 1st Rd. is a No Mans Land in the 2020 Draft.  Unless you need a WR or want the 3rd or 4th QB.  Falcons would be wise to trade down from #16 and pick up an additional pick. There are a lot of players...  at positions of need, that could start for Falcons, which will be available in the latter part of the 1st Rd down and beyond if they will simply draft wisely.

7 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I wouldn’t want to make a decision on Hooper that used Koetter’s offense as the criteria.  I know TD indicated Hooper is a priority...and that concerns me, because as I’ve stated elsewhere, I’d let him walk.

But as an example...look at TB and OJ Howard.  They used a 1st rounder on him in 2018.  He looked promising...and then they hired an HC who has no use for them (TE’s).

I think the reason why McKay was brought on board was to bring a post 2020 ‘in case of’ view to these conversations.  McKay is the only one of the three assured of a job in 2021.

Have a few problems with this, though I mostly agree...

1) without Hooper, we have Graham and...Stocker? Cutting Stocker and re-signing Hooper lessens Hooper's equivalent cap impact.

2) without Hooper, TE is suddenly a big draft need. No one we can sign in FA offers half as much and Koetter uses TEs a ton. It's just a fact of life - if we want the team's offense to be competent, we can't bank on solely Graham.

3) without Hooper, DK's offense may very well be among the worst in the NFL. Again, I think it sucks to make a decision based on solely next year, but we're stuck with DK. The FO can't just stick its head in the sand.

I'm warming to extending Mack and letting Hooper walk. But letting Hooper go does limit us considerably in the draft. Hooper/Graham/Grey is a good TE corps. Graham/Stocker/Grey is atrocious and only saves around 4-5 mil next year, in all likelihood. With a draft pick or FA, that number goes down even more, plus we have less draft capital. It's a **** situation.

9 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Have a few problems with this, though I mostly agree...

1) without Hooper, we have Graham and...Stocker? Cutting Stocker and re-signing Hooper lessens Hooper's equivalent cap impact.

2) without Hooper, TE is suddenly a big draft need. No one we can sign in FA offers half as much and Koetter uses TEs a ton. It's just a fact of life - if we want the team's offense to be competent, we can't bank on solely Graham.

3) without Hooper, DK's offense may very well be among the worst in the NFL. Again, I think it sucks to make a decision based on solely next year, but we're stuck with DK. The FO can't just stick its head in the sand.

I'm warming to extending Mack and letting Hooper walk. But letting Hooper go does limit us considerably in the draft. Hooper/Graham/Grey is a good TE corps. Graham/Stocker/Grey is atrocious and only saves around 4-5 mil next year, in all likelihood. With a draft pick or FA, that number goes down even more, plus we have less draft capital. It's a **** situation.

I guess that’s the bind the Falcons find themselves in.  Their cap situation as it stands right now is actually more mangled in 2021 than 2020.  If you sign Hooper, it’s not his 2020 cap hit that’ll pinch you hard, it’s 2021.

Something else to think about.  DQ has stated getting back to running the football will be paramount.  In 2019, the Falcons led the NFL in pass attempts by a whopping 51 (Falcons had 684; CAR was 2nd with 633).  The median in 2019 was 573 (GB).  If the Falcons are to be successful in 2020, it can’t be by dropping back 734 times (including sacks).

A plan to get back to the playoffs needs to be centered around a reduction of targets all-around.  While the relationship is not necessarily linear, the Falcons can kill two birds with one stone by 1) making a wise financial decision by 2) not investing in another mouth to feed in the passing game.

As for Mack, if he’s willing to a 1 year extension that converts 2020 salary to bonus...would seem to make sense.

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I guess that’s the bind the Falcons find themselves in.  Their cap situation as it stands right now is actually more mangled in 2021 than 2020.  If you sign Hooper, it’s not his 2020 cap hit that’ll pinch you hard, it’s 2021.

Something else to think about.  DQ has stated getting back to running the football will be paramount.  In 2019, the Falcons led the NFL in pass attempts by a whopping 51 (Falcons had 684; CAR was 2nd with 633).  The median in 2019 was 573 (GB).  If the Falcons are to be successful in 2020, it can’t be by dropping back 734 times (including sacks).

A plan to get back to the playoffs needs to be centered around a reduction of targets all-around.  While the relationship is not necessarily linear, the Falcons can kill two birds with one stone by 1) making a wise financial decision by 2) not investing in another mouth to feed in the passing game.

As for Mack, if he’s willing to a 1 year extension that converts 2020 salary to bonus...would seem to make sense.

You know, one thing that just occurred to me is re-signing Toilolo. He's a free agent this year, and while he doesn't offer a lot receiving, he's a phenomenal run blocker and pass blocker, familiar with the system (and Ryan), and can still leak out in certain plays. What would you think of him, Graham, and a 3rd/4th round TE? It'd be a lot cheaper and possibly better suited to Quinn's vision.

27 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You know, one thing that just occurred to me is re-signing Toilolo. He's a free agent this year, and while he doesn't offer a lot receiving, he's a phenomenal run blocker and pass blocker, familiar with the system (and Ryan), and can still leak out in certain plays. What would you think of him, Graham, and a 3rd/4th round TE? It'd be a lot cheaper and possibly better suited to Quinn's vision.

It’s not a bad thought.  Shanahan brought him to SF last year but he had minimal impact and time on the field.  You could probably save $1.7M on 2020’s cap by signing him to a minimum deal.  At the same time...his links to the Falcons are fairly faded and given how he fell out of favor in SF, not sure I’d do a straight replace of Stocker for him.

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

It’s not a bad thought.  Shanahan brought him to SF last year but he had minimal impact and time on the field.  You could probably save $1.7M on 2020’s cap by signing him to a minimum deal.  At the same time...his links to the Falcons are fairly faded and given how he fell out of favor in SF, not sure I’d do a straight replace of Stocker for him.

What does Stocker offer that he doesn't for 2 mil less? Serious question. Stocker was a flat out liability, particularly early in the year.

12 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

What does Stocker offer that he doesn't for 2 mil less? Serious question. Stocker was a flat out liability, particularly early in the year.

Not necessarily sure...but I do know that Toilolo fell out of favor in SF only garnering but 47 snaps the final half of the season (despite Kittle missing 3 games during that time).  I think if he were still a top level ‘blocking’ TE, he’d have more use for the only coach whose really ever been able to pull any value from him.

Stocker was at least used offensively and has history/trust with Koetter...but at the same time, his $2.6M salary in 2020 would have to be renegotiated if he hoped to stay.  Also, you’d be surprised at how much ‘blocking’ TE’s get on the open market.  Year after year I’m shocked to see what the Lee Smith’s and CJ Uzomah’s of the world get paid come FA.  So finding a good one is not a minimum salary exercise.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, TheDirtyWordII said:

With Arthur Blank doing his best Norman Vale impersonation (‘My team is on the floor…’)…we know that 2020 is an all-in year for the Falcons.  While I, and perhaps more than some, would have preferred a reset…this is where we are.  But certain developments have been intriguing as the path toward making noise in 2020 starts in earnest.

Rich McKay:  From my POV, this is an interesting org chart change.  Blank has always wanted to trust the people he’s put in place to run his football team, taking a ‘whatever you need, you got approach’.  But I think Blank recognized that given 1) a 12-year professional (and likely personal) relationship with his GM and 2) his affinity for Quinn…he longer could serve as an objective resource in determining what was the best short AND long term course of action for his football team.

McKay’s hiatus from the football operation has been long.  But the degree by which Blank has leaned on him since 2007 hasn’t lessened as it pertained to other aspects of his sports empire.  So to that end, inserting McKay as another layer of management on the football side, is an acknowledgment that Blank may no longer be the best judge of the plan put before him to get the Falcons back on track.

To the degree this affects some of the major decisions the Falcons will need to make in the coming weeks/months is TBD.  But if it shows one thing, it’s that McKay’s job security is set. 

The Cap Situation: We know the Falcons 2020 Salary Cap situation is tight.  But the 2021 Salary Cap situation is probably more dire.  Here is where each years cap situation stands

2020: $189.5M – 43 players
2021: $187.0M – 25 players

Now certainly there is room to maneuver for 2021 and some of the cap figures represented are on players that likely have little chance of being part of the 2021 roster (Freeman, Brown, Sambrailo, Carpenter, Trufant).  So if each of the 5 above were cut next off-season, that would provide close to $32M in cap space.  So, that’s the good news.

The bad news though is that it would still have the Falcons at about a $155M cap number being spent on now 20 players which at the moment would still be 3rd worst in the NFL (behind PHI & MIN).  But with only 20 players signed – assuming an NFL cap increase to $210M…$55M to sign 31 players is not a lot of room.  And that doesn’t take into account 1) 2020 and 2021 rookie classes or 2) 2020 free agency which includes…

Austin Hooper:  At this stage, it seems likely that Hooper’s market is in the $10M AAV range.  Let’s structure this out a bit assuming a 4 year $40M template.  From a signing bonus perspective, in using recent TE deals inclusive of Trey Burton, Zach Ertz and Travis Kelce…the SB likely falls in the $7-8M range.  Which leaves $32-33M to be split in other bonuses, guarantees and salaries inclusive of the 2020-2023 seasons.  Given the Falcons already tight 2020 salary cap situation, if Hooper were to be signed, I suspect that 2020’s base salary would have to be fairly low.  Again, estimating this need – let’s make it $2M.  That still gives Hooper the likely salary cap nuts of $10-12M/year for the 2021 and beyond aspects of his contract.  Knowing the 2021 salary cap facts

So the question the Falcons really have to ask themselves as it relates to Hooper is – do they want to have $45M in cap space left to fill out 30 roster spots?  Not just that - signing Hooper would likely result in the Falcons having a more than 2:1 ratio of their salary cap space dedicated to offense.  Lastly, the cap hit for 2020’s first round pick alone in 2021 will be in excess of $3M.  

Free Agency & Draft: It seems at most the Falcons can do with their three key FA’s in Beasley, Hooper and Campbell is re-sign one…if they even do that.  But FA is still FA and you’ve got to have cap space to play.  Ultimately, I’d be surprised if the Falcons were able to make such noise.  At the same time – as mentioned above with the ‘all-in’ nature of the upcoming season, poor financial/cap decisions might be on the table in order for DQ/TD to stay in their current roles.  It’s why I think McKay has been inserted into the football organization again – to limit the downside in case things go off the rails again like they did in 2018-2019.

With what I think will be a limited foray into the 2020 FA pool, the draft becomes the main way the Falcons will be able to fill roster gaps, the most significant being the DL which currently has 3 defensive lineman under contract with more than 400 professional snaps on defense (Jarrett, Takk, Bailey).

If there is one good move we can all point to that the Falcons front office made in 2019, it was getting the 2nd rounder for Sanu.  Something I would think might be on the table is trading the #47 & #55 picks (780 DVC points) to secure another 1st rounder.  Perhaps it’s #47 and #78 (630 DVC).  Either way – the Falcons are in a position where FA might not be able to help fix some concerning areas on their roster and as such, with a nice draft capital haul – it might not be a bad idea to try and augment the defense with two 1st rounders.

Excellent post! I don't agree with just re-signing one of our big three FAs though. I'd sign two. Hoop and Campbell. I know a lot of people here are meh on Campbell but I believe he's ready to turn a corner. Already our leading tackler the last two years. Made some big plays this year. Has edge rushing potential. Don't agree with relying heavily on the draft to restock the roster either. Especially in an "all in" year. That's a recipe for disaster. We need to clear enough cap to add two key FAs. Hopefully three. And please no trade ups. Trade down and make your college scout team deliver, or send em to the Line.

Always appreciate the effort in your posts, +1 as ever sir.

However, when it comes to cap pieces though I lose interest, as the NFL reminds me every year that the cap deep dive is almost always a waste of time. Because as we see, teams make massive moves restructuring people when they really need to.

Every. Year. 

Breaking it down to the thousands or even lower millions is pointless.

"If Hooper's value is 10mill we then can't sign X because Y and in 2021 Z"... That's half-true.

If we went through the same exercise of a cap analysis but rewound a year from today, I'm sure where we currently are against the cap is wildly different to what was forecast by the board last year, and the make up of how we stack up is probably night and day, too. Where did we find the money for Allen Bailey last year, half the board told me we didn't have the money to sign our draft picks... Please can someone tell me how the LA Rams have a seemingly infinite cap?

My point is this. If there is someone we desperately want in FA, we can make that happen. If we want to sign Hooper and Beasley, we can make that happen.

It is an indicator, sure. But looking at the cap is and seeing it as fact is a false flag. 

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Stocker was truly, truly terrible. Meant to be a blocking TE.

Yea I'll say it. Should've kept Levine for that money.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Excellent post! I don't agree with just re-signing one of our big three FAs though. I'd sign two. Hoop and Campbell. I know a lot of people here are meh on Campbell but I believe he's ready to turn a corner. Already our leading tackler the last two years. Made some big plays this year. Has edge rushing potential. Don't agree with relying heavily on the draft to restock the roster either. Especially in an "all in" year. That's a recipe for disaster. We need to clear enough cap to add two key FAs. Hopefully three. And please no trade ups. Trade down and make your college scout team deliver, or send em to the Line.

The thing with FA is that you can clear out Year 1 of the contract room fairly easily, right?  The year 1 compensation can be largely made up of bonus augmented by salary at a very small scale.  Say in Hooper's case, a 4 year $40M deal with an $8M SB.  For easy math sake, to get him up to $10M in compensation for 2020, you give him a $2M salary, his 2020 cap hit is $4M.  That's not painful.  But lets say the salary figures on Years 2-4 of the deal are $8M, $10M and $12M...well, the 2021 cap hit is $10M.

With Campbell, same set-up.  I don't have a great handle on his open market worth, but an AAV of $7M seems reasonable.  Same exercise with him - let's say 4 year $28M deal with a $6M SB, you can give him a $1M salary in 2020.  If Years 2-4 on the deal give him respective raises from $6M in 2021 to $8M in 2023, well...his 2021 cap number is $7.5M.

But now...for 22 players, you cap spent is already at $172.5M.  That doesn't take into account $3-4M cap hits for your 2020 & 2021 first rounders.  So you're approaching $180M cap spent on 24 players.  And one other thing...we do have a decision to make on Takk this off-season as to whether to pick up his 5th year option.  I would think not...but if we do, that's another sizable hit to the 2021 salary cap where we'd be forced to 1) sign him to a long term deal or 2) cut him because you couldn't let him play it out like we did Beasley this year.

5 minutes ago, MattM12 said:

Always appreciate the effort in your posts, +1 as ever sir.

However, when it comes to cap pieces though I lose interest, as the NFL reminds me every year that the cap deep dive is almost always a waste of time. Because as we see, teams make massive moves restructuring people when they really need to.

Every. Year. 

Breaking it down to the thousands or even lower millions is pointless.

"If Hooper's value is 10mill we then can't sign X because Y and in 2021 Z"... That's half-true.

If we went through the same exercise of a cap analysis but rewound a year from today, I'm sure where we currently are against the cap is wildly different to what was forecast by the board last year, and the make up of how we stack up is probably night and day, too. Where did we find the money for Allen Bailey last year, half the board told me we didn't have the money to sign our draft picks... Please can someone tell me how the LA Rams have a seemingly infinite cap?

My point is this. If there is someone we desperately want in FA, we can make that happen. If we want to sign Hooper and Beasley, we can make that happen.

It is an indicator, sure. But looking at the cap is and seeing it as fact is a false flag. 

Yes - this does happen.  But does it happen wisely?  Meaning, are the teams that do it championship caliber?  I think we've seen the Redksins and Dolphins (prior to new regime) do this to little avail.  The Saints are probably the most successful team to ride the salary cap lightning so to speak.

As for the Rams...now that some of their young players have gottne their 2nd contracts, they'll have much less room to manuever than they did 2017-2019 now that Goff's cap hit will increase by $26M YoY.  The Rams are a great example of not paying attention to the salary cap.  From my perspective, their roster feels top heavy and their prospects look far inferior now to this time last year partly because they used up their cap space on unwise investments.