Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sidecar Falcon

The Pocket Passer Is Dying. Long Live the Mobile Quarterback.

20 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Long live the mobile QB!!!!

Even Tony Dungy, highly respected uncontroversial Tony Dungy said that the NFL has long punished athletic quarterbacks by making them play wide receiver and defensive back.  He talked about it in the Michael Vick 30 for 30.  He pointed out how Pittsburgh made him play defensive back after being one of the best to play quarterback at Minnesota in college.  He pointed out how athletic quarterbacks had to go to Canada to play quarterback.

Edited by Spts1

1 hour ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

It’s so sad that people can’t see this concept. 

What’s sad is you seem to think Ryan hasn’t done this or is incapable. No one is accounting for the QB and you run when they overplay their coverages. Simple. It buys you another play. Not the same thing as a 7 step drop when multiple OL get beat off the snap. You act like Mahomes was shrugging off tacklers ala Vick left and right. That isn’t what happened. In fact, Mahomes couldn’t get it done on his own last night. His RB and Defense bought him time and series; even overcoming his turnovers. Ryan isn’t the perfect one tho! :rolleyes: 

28 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I get it cause Mahomes didn't play as well as he usually does but we'd all take a game like

3 TD's 2 INT's I think one was tipped

286yds 29yds rushing

From Ryan. This is crazy. 

William's had 130 something yards and 2 TD's he played well too but he didn't exactly dominate and stand out.

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I get it cause Mahomes didn't play as well as he usually does but we'd all take a game like

286yds 29yds rushing

William's had 130 something yards and 2 TD's he played well too but he didn't exactly dominate and stand out.

I don't think you'd find me or many others that would be praising Matt Ryan's performance if he played as bad as Mahomes did last night. If it weren't for the Chiefs defense they would have gotten ran out the building with how bad Mahomes played.

11 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I don't think you'd find me or many others that would be praising Matt Ryan's performance if he played as bad as Mahomes did last night. If it weren't for the Chiefs defense they would have gotten ran out the building with how bad Mahomes played.

Chiefs defense got gashed on the run. Had kyle kept running the chiefs dont even win.

45 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I watched every single snap of the game. There is no question in my mind Matt Ryan outplayed both of them in his Super Bowl appearance. The KC defense made stops that gave Mahommes more chances to make up for his pretty bad performance prior to the 4th quarter. He had some pretty bad throws. 

19 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

286yds 29yds rushing

No, we wouldn’t. 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles, luckily they recovered both of the fumbles. 42 pass attempts, only 6.8 ypa. 

Ryan threw for 284 yards and 2 TD’s on only 23 attempts in the SB. No INT’s. 2 less yards on 19 less attempts. One fumble that was unfortunately lost when Freeman whiffed on his block.

I don’t see how that was a great game by Mahommes. I like Mahommes a lot, but that was not a good game.

Just now, pzummo said:

No, we wouldn’t. 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles, luckily they recovered both of the fumbles. 42 pass attempts, only 6.8 ypa. 

Ryan threw for 284 yards and 2 TD’s on only 23 attempts in the SB. No INT’s. 2 less yards on 19 less attempts. One fumble that was unfortunately lost when Freeman whiffed on his block.

I don’t see how that was a great game by Mahommes. I like Mahommes a lot, but that was not a good game.

It wasnt a great game. Never said it was. Read next time.

2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Mahomes is 5-0 when down by double digits this year and nfl record. Youngest MVP at the time I believe, youngest superbowl mvp. He is not overhyped. 

He definitely was for this game. Passer rating was < 80 with two Ints.  That’s not MVP worthy.

20 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Yeah this game he didnt play like he usually does but that doesn't make him overrated.

To be clear, I said he was overhyped coming into this game. I heard announcers already anointing him as best QB ever.

His performance wasn’t anywhere close to that in this game Nor this season.

23 minutes ago, Vandy said:

To be clear, I said he was overhyped coming into this game. I heard announcers already anointing him as best QB ever.

He had one off game but was still pretty good. Dude is easily the most talented QB and could be the goat one day who knows. He isnt overhyped. 

50 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Two years.  League MVP. Superbowl  championship.  Unquestionably the best quarterback in the league.  This ain't  Vick who made it easy for haters to critique his game.  This is the best quarterback in the league and folks still hating on dude...

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

No matter how it happens, QBs always get credit for the comeback, even though most studies show that comebacks are started and maintained by the defense.

Studies? :lol::lol:

51 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

He had one off game but was still pretty good. Dude is easily the most talented QB and could be the goat one day who knows. He isnt overhyped. 

He’s more than pretty good, but he also was way overhyped coming into this game by National media. He  did not have what I’d call a good game yesterday, much less an mvp caliber game.

21 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Two years.  League MVP. Superbowl  championship.  Unquestionably the best quarterback in the league.  This ain't  Vick who made it easy for haters to critique his game.  This is the best quarterback in the league and folks still hating on dude...

He’s  definitely off to a HOF-like start to his career. But a lot can happen, so all I’m saying is let’s slow the best ever roll down a little. 

Edit: (Not saying either of you are doing that)

Edited by Vandy

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He’s more than pretty good, but he also was way overhyped coming into this game by media.

He’s  definitely off to a HOF-like start to his career. But a lot can happen, so all I’m saying is let’s slow the best ever roll down a little. 

Yes, he has to put some years into it to be called the best to do it, but he is on his way...

Edited by Spts1

3 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Yes, he has to put some years into it to called the best to do it, but he is on his way...

I think he’s more a Farve/Marino than a brady/manning/Montana.....and nothing to be ashamed of if that’s the case.....but we’ll see.

What do you see?

6 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

It’s so sad that people can’t see this concept. 

Concept? There's more than one way to win a game dude. For all the criticism that Kyle gets, some deserved, one of the biggest reasons the Niners lost is that Jimmy G missed throws and reads. Throws that Ryan makes and puts the game out of reach for the Chiefs. His lack of mobility isn't the reason the Niners lost. If "lack of mobility" is the primary reason your QB couldn't perform, then your problem isn't the QB, it's that your O-line really isn't blocking well enough. Even Mahomes struggled when the Niners defense turned up the heat in the 3rd quarter.

I could almost guarantee you that if Ryan was the Niners QB, that game is a blowout. With the way the run game was humming, he'd be shredding that Chiefs defense with play action. Ryan identifies mismatches and holes in a defense as good as any QB in the league. When you can do that as quickly as Ryan, Brees, and Brady can, you don't have to be as mobile as Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, or Lamar Jackson. If your line can block for an average of 3 seconds, he'll pick you apart. If you're constantly having to run or extend plays, it either means your receiving corps sucks, you as a QB need to get better at reading defenses and anticipating openings, you as a QB need to get better at throwing accurately from the pocket, or all three.