Jump to content

The Pocket Passer Is Dying. Long Live the Mobile Quarterback.


Recommended Posts

Just now, Spts1 said:

But what about the 20 Matt Ryan threads that are started every week...

Talking about the passing porn threads? Yeah, they’re annoying and part of the reason I spend more time on r/nfl or twitter than these boards. Literally EVERY day there’s a “hehe, wait until the Ryan haters hear about THIS one super specific stat”  thread and it’s unbelievably boring. It’s like posters come back every day to circle jerk about the exact same thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember hearing about all this with Vick.  Then with Cam.  Then with RGIII.  Then with Kaepernick.  Meanwhile Brady can't make a fist with all those rings.   

For now. Everything is cyclical. Once DCs change philosophies and even players then someone will change QB style again. Just find the best player and things will sort themselves out. 

@mqg96 @Sir Joe™ There are old quarterbacks.  There are mobile quarterbacks. You know what you don’t see?  Old mobile QBs. Those hits add up.  Cam is the latest example, and he was

1 minute ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Talking about the passing porn threads? Yeah, they’re annoying and part of the reason I spend more time on r/nfl or twitter than these boards. Literally EVERY day there’s a “hehe, wait until the Ryan haters hear about THIS one super specific stat”  thread and it’s unbelievably boring. It’s like posters come back every day to circle jerk about the exact same thing.

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

His legs allowed him to tread water until he prevailed. An immobile pocket passer would have been in heII or high water if he had to endure what Mahomes did. The game would have been completely different if not for his mobility.

Your first sentence is so key. He was able to improvise in crucial moments. And they were running options! Crazy stuff, man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Your first sentence is so key. He was able to improvise in crucial moments. And they were running options! Crazy stuff, man.

 

To me, the biggest play came when the Niners secondary badly blew coverage on that deep pass to Tyreek Hill.

 

No way should Hill have been that wide open down field.

 

It blew the game back open and ignited the Chiefs comeback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

To me, the biggest play came when the Niners secondary badly blew coverage on that deep pass to Tyreek Hill.

 

No way should Hill have been that wide open down field.

 

It blew the game back open and ignited the Chiefs comeback.

“No way should Hull have been that wide open down field” 

SOO many people have uttered this sentence after losing to the Chiefs lol. If you grabbed 50 of the fastest people in the world, I’m almost certain Tyreek is in that group. Dude is unreal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

“No way should Hull have been that wide open down field” 

SOO many people have uttered this sentence after losing to the Chiefs lol. If you grabbed 50 of the fastest people in the world, I’m almost certain Tyreek is in that group. Dude is unreal. 

 

 

Some kept telling me that Richard Sherman and the Niners DBs would be physical with Hill and the Chiefs WRs and take them out of their game.

 

I've been saying that the Chiefs Wrs speed made that easier said than done. Sherman had a hard time running with those guys. Hill had Sherman falling and running into some of his fellow Niners teammates trying to keep up with his speed. Sherman's game isn't running stride for stride with speedsters, especially if he can't bump you at release.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

To me, the biggest play came when the Niners secondary badly blew coverage on that deep pass to Tyreek Hill.

 

No way should Hill have been that wide open down field.

 

It blew the game back open and ignited the Chiefs comeback.

Im still in shock Mahomes got the superbowl mvp.. Just didn't see it that way

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

His legs allowed him to tread water until he prevailed. An immobile pocket passer would have been in heII or high water if he had to endure what Mahomes did. The game would have been completely different if not for his mobility.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. And yet, Ryan beat that same defense. So is Ryan mobile, or is he just sharp-minded?

4 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Again..Maholmes is NOT a running QB, hes a pocket QB that can run. He's more like Favre and Rodgers 

This. Like he's almost a carbon copy of Favre in terms of playing style, except Mahomes is a more skilled thrower. Rodgers is more careful with the ball. Mahomes and Favre are straight up gunslingers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Im still in shock Mahomes got the superbowl mvp.. Just didn't see it that way

 

I think his heroics at the end and the comeback is what sealed it for him. Otherwise their runningback #26 would've been the MVP if they had somehow won it.

 

Before that I'm honestly not sure who would've been the MVP of the Niners, unless they could give it to their entire d-line.

 

Nick Bosa's pressure was unreal for a rookie. He practically lived in the Chiefs backfield. Look for Bosa to be a serious contender for NFL Defensive Player of the Year next season. I don't think he goes into a sophomore slump.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Meh, Chiefs D kept them in the game, allowing them to overcome Mahomes shaky play of 1st 3 qtrs until he finally got it going.

That Chiefs defense that let the 49ers march up and down the field?  Coleman and that other back are still loose in the secondary...:lol:  

The Chiefs as a team DID have to overcome Sorryzen.   Wherever he was,  Shanahan attacked.  Sorenzen is another Chris Conte...

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

That Chiefs defense that let the 49ers march up and down the field?  Coleman and that other back are still loose in the secondary...:lol:  

The Chiefs as a team DID have to overcome Sorryzen.   Wherever he was,  Shanahan attacked.  Sorenzen is another Chris Conte...

You wouldn’t know it by the score, but I thought both defenses played great overall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

To me, the biggest play came when the Niners secondary badly blew coverage on that deep pass to Tyreek Hill.

To be honest it was that almost tackle by Bosa that Mahomes barely escaped to run for a 1st on 3rd down deep in their own territory. Bosa is 2-3 inches closer and they are world champs. When I say this is a game of inches...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vandy said:

You wouldn’t know it by the score, but I thought both defenses played great overall.

The Chiefs played through horrible safety play AND Shanahan kept going away from the run in redzone.  When he got cute, the Chiefs stopped him.  When he pounded the ball, the Chiefs couldn't stop the 49ers.  A key play was the refs bailing Sorryzen out just before halftime with that pushoff call.

  I was rooting for the Chiefs.  Mahomes is big time.  He made a ferocious 49er defense pay for not playing him soft...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Ryan is more mobile than people give him credit for. He's had multiple 10+ yard scrambles, and above all, doesn't take hits.

I will never understand people's hate on this dude. If it wasn't for a litany of team mistakes in Super Bowl LI, he's a sure-fire HOF. I cannot wait 'til this dude lifts the Lombardi and everyone that hates on this dude chokes on their boneless chicken wings. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Meh, Chiefs D kept them in the game, allowing them to overcome Mahomes shaky play of 1st 3 qtrs until he finally got it going.

He was MVP of 4th quarter but chiefs D was MVP of the game. 

If Kyle kept running the defense was what cost the game. Kyle let the chiefs beat them because he tried to pass when they're one of the worst teams at run defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spts1 said:

The Chiefs played through horrible safety play AND Shanahan kept going away from the run in redzone.  When he got cute, the Chiefs stopped him.  When he pounded the ball, the Chiefs couldn't stop the 49ers.  A key play was the refs bailing Sorryzen out just before halftime with that pushoff call.

  I was rooting for the Chiefs.  Mahomes is big time.  He made a ferocious 49er defense pay for not playing him soft...

Meh. Mahomes was overhyped coming into game and was not special yesterday at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, treboyplay said:

The 3rd down earlier on that same drive where he ran out of a sack and got a first down allowed him to even get to that 44 yard pass later in the drive. So yes his legs definitely helped change the game. 

It’s so sad that people can’t see this concept. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...