The Pocket Passer Is Dying. Long Live the Mobile Quarterback.

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I do agree that QBs (in general) can make an offensive line look bad, and vice versa. I disagree with the notion that Wilson/Watson do this on a consistent enough basis to completely change the narrative on how poor/average their OL plays.

Ryan held onto the ball too long due to poor scheme and play calling. He also didn’t get nearly enough time to throw the ball due to our OL being a turnstile. Increased mobility could have mitigated the aforementioned issues, not by much, but some.

Mobility isn’t the end all, be all. However when you have a combination of long developing plays with a short time to throw. Any sort of ability that can keep the QB upright would only help. 

Ryan was middle of the pack in time to throw.  2.77 seconds per pass attempt, ranked 16th of qualified QB's.  He was just behind Brady at 2.75 seconds.

It just felt like he was holding the ball forever because defenders were getting pressure so fast, we were constantly wanting him to get the ball out faster.  Our OL was abysmal.  For comparison, in his best season as a pro, he was ranked 22nd in 2016 with Shanahan.  Oddly enough, everybody was getting rid of the ball quicker that season, so his time to throw was a bit quicker at 2.64 seconds even though he was ranked as holding it longer.

Cousins actually held it the longest at 3.01 seconds.  I thought it would've been a more mobile QB because they buy more time with their legs.  I guess they don't do it nearly as much as we think because of highlights. 

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember hearing about all this with Vick.  Then with Cam.  Then with RGIII.  Then with Kaepernick.  Meanwhile Brady can't make a fist with all those rings.   

For now. Everything is cyclical. Once DCs change philosophies and even players then someone will change QB style again. Just find the best player and things will sort themselves out. 

@mqg96 @Sir Joe™ There are old quarterbacks.  There are mobile quarterbacks. You know what you don’t see?  Old mobile QBs. Those hits add up.  Cam is the latest example, and he was

40 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Ryan was middle of the pack in time to throw.  2.77 seconds per pass attempt, ranked 16th of qualified QB's.  He was just behind Brady at 2.75 seconds.

It just felt like he was holding the ball forever because defenders were getting pressure so fast, we were constantly wanting him to get the ball out faster.  Our OL was abysmal.  For comparison, in his best season as a pro, he was ranked 22nd in 2016 with Shanahan.  Oddly enough, everybody was getting rid of the ball quicker that season, so his time to throw was a bit quicker at 2.64 seconds even though he was ranked as holding it longer.

Cousins actually held it the longest at 3.01 seconds.  I thought it would've been a more mobile QB because they buy more time with their legs.  I guess they don't do it nearly as much as we think because of highlights. 

A lot of this stuff is influenced by play design and calls...how often were we behind or by multiple scores this year?

^That will make your OL look worse throwing 70% from behind mostly.

Now, add in Dirk not using the quick pass game enough. Now add in its year 1 in a clunky option route built in route “tree” offense...works if you don’t have a run game. Doesn’t keep a pass rush honest and prevents you from hitting big plays because it’s checkdown without the big play?? Where is the designed YAC?? Sark was better for us and the purpose of Dirk was to get a run game since he came with Mularkey. Just smh.

Go look at the Jags and some of the Seahawks game with Schaub.

Two “statue QBs” suddenly lighting it up. Dirk was hardly calling his usual game in those...especially the Jaguars.

The benefit of Mahomes right now is his talent combined with ALL of those weapons UNDER...wait for it...Legendary offensive mind Andy Reid.

If we had Andy, I’d put us down as top 3 SB favorite in the NFL next year EVEN without knowing who we will get to play on defense next year.

THAT is how much coaching we are lacking on the offensive side of the ball.

40 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I do agree that QBs (in general) can make an offensive line look bad, and vice versa. I disagree with the notion that Wilson/Watson do this on a consistent enough basis to completely change the narrative on how poor/average their OL plays.

Ryan held onto the ball too long due to poor scheme and play calling. He also didn’t get nearly enough time to throw the ball due to our OL being a turnstile. Increased mobility could have mitigated the aforementioned issues, not by much, but some.

Mobility isn’t the end all, be all. However when you have a combination of long developing plays with a short time to throw. Any sort of ability that can keep the QB upright would only help. 

The lines were bad, 100%.  Some plays those two will make the line look better because they can escape, but there are ones they hold it too long and it doesn’t work out and it looks like the line failed miserably when they didn’t.  You’re right, Ryan did that a lot in the second Saints game.

1 minute ago, Rings said:

The lines were bad, 100%.  Some plays those two will make the line look better because they can escape, but there are ones they hold it too long and it doesn’t work out and it looks like the line failed miserably when they didn’t.  You’re right, Ryan did that a lot in the second Saints game.

I think DQ said 3 of the 9 sack plays were “coverage sacks”...

Remember, Dirk is often asking the QB to hold it a little long but he doesn’t do enough to slow down a pass rush. It’s too straightforward for a defense to overplay when they know you are passing and aren’t having to read anything or much pre-post snap.

I’d say the rest is trust between Matt and young receivers on which route is best vs the coverage in any checkdowns that are essentially option routes.

49 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Running game aswell for the most part all year the Vikings didn’t have to much trouble moving the football on the ground.This buys Cousins time with the football.

Ryan with thee lack of and the straight drop nature of this offense made him an easier target and it’s one thing Koetter has to have a good look at this off season.

4 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

That 44 yard pass on 3rd down changed the game, not his legs

His legs allowed him to tread water until he prevailed. An immobile pocket passer would have been in heII or high water if he had to endure what Mahomes did. The game would have been completely different if not for his mobility.

18 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

His legs allowed him to tread water until he prevailed. An immobile pocket passer would have been in heII or high water if he had to endure what Mahomes did. The game would have been completely different if not for his mobility.

BINGO.  Thats what happened to the Falcons in the Superbowl when the Patriots got after Ryan, he was taking BIG TIME sacks.  Mahomes would've made them pay for that pass rush...

Edited by Spts1
1 minute ago, Rings said:

If you think Mahomes played better tonight than Ryan did in 16 please just stop, go watch another sport, root for another team, troll some other message board.  

Only the best QB wins SB's that's why

Flacco, Dilfer, a broken Manning... wait... uh.... that's why Manning beat Brady? Wait.... hangon...