The Pocket Passer Is Dying. Long Live the Mobile Quarterback.

3 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Sure there is, Khalil Mack Clowney, Barkley, and Aaron Donald come to mind. 

You listed players who happened to be great, and lol if you think none of them had question marks coming in.

There are zero "can't miss" prospects.  They don't exist.  If you want me to go down a long list of "can't miss" prospects who missed, we can.

2 hours ago, isproab said:

I can agree that pure "pocket passers" will not go away.  I think mobility for QBs will become one of those things that stats to get judged like everything else for a QB.  Will you get knocked if you are under 6'2'', yes, you would be considered shorter than ideal for the position.  Doesn't mean you can't play it? No.  Those guys are rare.  I think they will soon start to look at mobility like they do height, arm strength, TD/Int ratio, completion percentage.  The more boxes you check, the better.

Definitely agree. I don’t think the sub 6’2” QBs will have as much stigma placed on them. I think that the way the game is changing will adapt college players to fit NFL schemes. 

20 minutes ago, DirtyBirdKHAOS said:

do you wake up and post crap takes? What is your obsession of replacing Ryan? cant stand idiotic "fans" like you. 

Why would upgrading the most important position on the field where we are old (35 year old QB) be a crap take? Facts don't care about feelings. Don't care about your sweet emotional feels for Ryan. 

1 hour ago, FalconJim said:

Agreed, a good ground attack, and a traditional pocket passer style, can add many years to a QB's career, especially, as they get older!  It makes me wonder why, when these "scrambling type" QBs get to the NFL, their coaches don't teach them how to be more of a "pocket passer" (if, their O-line permits it), and only scramble when you absolutely have to.  Seems like THAT would prevent injuries, and extend their careers.  But, I'm not a coach, and that's just my opinion ---  

OCs have to adapt there systems because of college spread offenses.

We lucked out getting Ryan as he was under C at BC.

The learning curve is probably to big and so the above OCs adapt to the talent coming in.

16 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

You can find countless articles saying Russell was cant miss. If your guys were cant miss they'd all go #1

That's atrocious horrible horrible logic, which is what I typically expect from you.

For example Jake Matthews in his draft was viewed as a can't miss prospect at LT but was still viewed as a the #2 talent at his position because of the immense talent of Greg Robinson. Greg went as the #2 overall pick while Jake went with the #6 pick and has been pretty much a good pick for us while Robinson has been a bust.  

Can't miss talent doesn't mean they'd be the #1 pick. 

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

Why would upgrading the most important position on the field where we are old (35 year old QB) be a crap take? Facts don't care about feelings. Don't care about your sweet emotional feels for Ryan. 

ROFL. Well, not a crap take, but a hilarious one for certain.

47 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

That's atrocious horrible horrible logic, which is what I typically expect from you.

For example Jake Matthews in his draft was viewed as a can't miss prospect at LT but was still viewed as a the #2 talent at his position because of the immense talent of Greg Robinson. Greg went as the #2 overall pick while Jake went with the #6 pick and has been pretty much a good pick for us while Robinson has been a bust.  

Can't miss talent doesn't mean they'd be the #1 pick. 

So you're telling me in a redraft Mack and Donald dont go #1? If they seen them as csnt miss they'd go #1 dude. A guarantee game changer on the dline? Lol ok.

And I only seen TATF call Matthews can't miss. 

30 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

So you're telling me in a redraft Mack and Donald dont go #1? If they seen them as csnt miss they'd go #1 dude. A guarantee game changer on the dline? Lol ok.

And I only seen TATF call Matthews can't miss. 

Everyone had Matthews as a can't miss talent. Robinson got over drafted based on potential. Happens every draft, hind sight being 20/20. 

37 minutes ago, athell said:

You would think people would get more intelligent as they age...

Dumb point, GMS don't have a way to foresee the future but that doesn't mean they don't pass up on can't miss talent for potential. Aaron Donald, Rodgers, Matthews, Khalil Mack being prime examples. 

Ridley being one for us. 

21 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Made me immediately think of that ridiculous "Matt Ryan is afraid of contact" post.

Oh my... That is a special kind of stupid. Please tell me no one on here said that. I know the Ryan haters are a special kind of stupid,But that is pure waste of good oxygen level.  I guess Jerry Rice couldn't catch either.

3 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Oh my... That is a special kind of stupid. Please tell me no one on here said that. I know the Ryan haters are a special kind of stupid,But that is pure waste of good oxygen level.  I guess Jerry Rice couldn't catch either.

Oh yes, someone here said it.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Flying Falcon said:

Mobile QBs in playoffs. Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Tannehill, Rodgers, Garapolo, Cousins, and Wilson.

Pocket QBs = 0

What is the definition of a “mobile” QB? How does that differ from a running QB? If the definition of mobile is just getting out of the pocket when there is pressure, I don’t know of a single QB that doesn’t do that.

When the media uses the term mobile, I think they mean a QB that turns into a running back like Jackson. Those guys always get figured out eventually and never win the big games. Going all the way back to Vick. 

31 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Aaron Curry

Go back to the 80s and the guys like Brian Bosworth who were considered once in a generational type talents and absolute locks for the pro football HOF while still in college and look at how bad they busted.

Edited by AUTiger7222