The Pocket Passer Is Dying. Long Live the Mobile Quarterback.

1 minute ago, Sir Joe™ said:

Mobility isn't an aesthetic trait. 

Can Matt extend plays? Yes

He also rushed for just one fewer first down than Rodgers this season so he can not only extend a play but drives as well. 

It's not about about how many yards you can run for, it's when you get them. 

If you want a human highlight reel, play Madden. 

Imagine citing how something looks in your argument lol.  If the job gets done, who cares how it looks?  No extra points for style.  This board man...

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember hearing about all this with Vick.  Then with Cam.  Then with RGIII.  Then with Kaepernick.  Meanwhile Brady can't make a fist with all those rings.   

For now. Everything is cyclical. Once DCs change philosophies and even players then someone will change QB style again. Just find the best player and things will sort themselves out. 

@mqg96 @Sir Joe™ There are old quarterbacks.  There are mobile quarterbacks. You know what you don’t see?  Old mobile QBs. Those hits add up.  Cam is the latest example, and he was

On 1/7/2020 at 11:10 AM, Sidecar Falcon said:

Here are my personal thoughts on this article. The pocket passer is never going away. It will need to evolve. Defensive athletes become increasingly faster, you're going to need to counteract that will either faster players or faster thinking players. With regards to football it is my opinion that it is easier to find athletic ability than intelligence. QBs are going to be forced to be able to mobile enough to extend plays, or diagnose the defense a lot quicker pre-snap. This is why scheme is super important in the NFL, and why Brady and Brees are so dominant despite their lack of mobility. The can diagnose plays quickly and have a scheme that is potent. Finding this combination is rare. As you get closer to the intellect side, you have players like Manning who was basically Professor X in a Colts uniform. All that being said, mobility is starting to become just as important. You see the playoffs this year and it is packed with mobile QBs (Wilson, Allen, Watson, Mahomes). Then you have Lamar Jackson who I feel is a running QB, and he is absolutely dangerous. A lot of their success is their ability to extend plays when the scheme breaks down. The further you go in each direction, I think you're going to start finding a merger of different areas/positions of football. On the extreme you have a Manning type that was a merger of QB/OC and in Jackson's case a merger between QB/RB. Both are play makers, and both can be game changers in their own unique way.

I can agree that pure "pocket passers" will not go away.  I think mobility for QBs will become one of those things that stats to get judged like everything else for a QB.  Will you get knocked if you are under 6'2'', yes, you would be considered shorter than ideal for the position.  Doesn't mean you can't play it? No.  Those guys are rare.  I think they will soon start to look at mobility like they do height, arm strength, TD/Int ratio, completion percentage.  The more boxes you check, the better.

The pocket passer is dying?  I don't get that.  What "mobile" QB is left in the Playoffs? 
Jackson -- gone....Wilson --- gone....granted, Mahomes & Rodgers is still in, but to me, they're not really true scrambling QBs....they can move around and buy time if necessary, but that's it.  So the question is, why would anyone think the pocket passer is "dying"???  I know, I don't ---  :tiphat: 

8 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

The pocket passer is dying?  I don't get that.  What "mobile" QB is left in the Playoffs? 
Jackson -- gone....Wilson --- gone....granted, Mahomes & Rodgers is still in, but to me, they're not really true scrambling QBs....they can move around and buy time if necessary, but that's it.  So the question is, why would anyone think the pocket passer is "dying"???  I know, I don't ---  :tiphat: 

Tannehil is "mobile" Don't forget about Tannehil. (who averages around the same rushing yards as Ryan and a worse Sack% rate). He ran fast in the combine though.

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Tannehil is "mobile" Don't forget about Tannehil. (who averages around the same rushing yards as Ryan and a worse Sack% rate). He ran fast in the combine though.

Didn't think of Tannehill, but really, he's not a Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson type. 
After seeing all these QBs running for their life, but yet, not making much happen overall, it makes me value a guy even MORE, who can step up in the pocket (if, he has time, unlike Matt Ryan), find his receiver and deliver the ball to him!!!  To me, that's QBing at it's finest! 

2 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Didn't think of Tannehill, but really, he's not a Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson type. 
After seeing all these QBs running for their life, but yet, not making much happen overall, it makes me value a guy even MORE, who can step up in the pocket (if, he has time, unlike Matt Ryan), find his receiver and deliver the ball to him!!!  To me, that's QBing at it's finest! 

Just referencing a previous post which said that Tannehill was mobile because he had a good 40 time 10 years ago at the combine. Tannehill isn't any more mobile than Ryan or the average pocket passer. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot
1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Just referencing a previous post which said that Tannehill was mobile because he had a good 40 time 10 years ago at the combine. Tannehill isn't anymore mobile than Ryan or the average pocket passer. 

I agree, as far as speed or scrambling ability, Tannehill and Ryan are about the same, but NOT what they were TEN years ago, that's for sure.  They have to rely more on their "football smarts" at this point in their career, than on speed!   But both have enough left, to do what it takes to get the job done, most of the time.

30 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Just referencing a previous post which said that Tannehill was mobile because he had a good 40 time 10 years ago at the combine. Tannehill isn't any more mobile than Ryan or the average pocket passer. 

This place cannot differentiate running with mobile.

To them, Matt is no different than the Rivers, Brady, Mannings of the world.

Just now, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Yeah, because Joe Burrow is a can't miss clone of Mahomes right? Mahomes don't grow on trees.

There's a Mahomes drafted once every 30-40 years or so lol. He has GOAT potential if he stays healthy. Odds that Joe Burrow is the next Mahomes is pretty much next to none. 

10 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Exactly...

Everyone assuming we will draft the next Mahomes or Watson when in reality we will end up drafting the next Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Mitch Trubisky, Josh Rosen, David Carr, Jameis Winston, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young E.J. Manuel etc.etc.etc.

And if we are super lucky we'll get the next Jared Goff.

Edited by Dr Long Shot
1 hour ago, FalconJim said:

If anything Lafleur doesn’t want Rodgers running around outside the pocket and they’ve dialed down how much he throws it.Lafleur is very much like KS in that respect they want there QB making throws within the confines of the pocket and focus on getting there ground games going if anything for Rodgers a move like this adds years to his career.

Even Russell Wilson there will come a time where he won’t be doing as much scrambling as he does.Schottenheimer still didn’t go away from the run with Lynch and Homer even though they weren’t getting much.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

If anything Lafleur doesn’t want Rodgers running around outside the pocket and they’ve dialed down how much he throws it.Lafleur is very much like KS in that respect they want there QB making throws within the confines of the pocket and focus on getting there ground games going if anything for Rodgers a move like this adds years to his career.

Even Russell Wilson there will come a time where he won’t be doing as much scrambling as he does.Schottenheimer still didn’t go away from the run with Lynch and Homer even though they weren’t getting much.

Agreed, a good ground attack, and a traditional pocket passer style, can add many years to a QB's career, especially, as they get older!  It makes me wonder why, when these "scrambling type" QBs get to the NFL, their coaches don't teach them how to be more of a "pocket passer" (if, their O-line permits it), and only scramble when you absolutely have to.  Seems like THAT would prevent injuries, and extend their careers.  But, I'm not a coach, and that's just my opinion ---  

7 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Rodgers had 183 rushing yards on the season. Ryan had 149. Both are pocket passers. Both can make things happen with their feet when they need to. 

This new “everybody except Matt Ryan and the last QB whose team got eliminated is a mobile QB” thing is just dumb. 

Just to take it a step farther,

• Rodgers = 46 CAR, 183 YDS (4.0), 1 TD, 11 First Downs
  • Ryan = 34 CAR, 147 YDS (4.3), 1 TD, 10 First Downs

To say Rodgers is mobile and Ryan is not in 2019 is downright wrong.

3 hours ago, Sir Joe™ said:

Not sure if Matt Ryan or Usain Bolt. 

2 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

I'll never understand why Matt Ryan doesn't get credit for the plays he makes with his legs. Is he Russell Wilson or Patrick Mahomes? Of course not. Is he a statue who can't do anything with his legs like this board suggests? Not by a long shot.

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

That Mahomes sure looks overrated huh? lol. If we can trade up and get Joe Burrow I am all for it. 

Yeah, I'd like to have Burrow, too!  Let him sit under Ryan for a year or two, or at least compete for the starting job.  But to get him would be almost impossible, without giving up so many future draft picks it could cripple us for years to come!  Probably never happen, anyway....too many other teams waaayyy ahead of us, who desperately need a franchise-type QB ---