2a. Jake Hanson  OC  Oregon  6'5''  297

2b. Albert Okwuebunam   TE   Missouri   6'5''  255

3.  Chris Orr   OLB   Wisconsin   6'0''  224

4.  Neville Gallamore   DT   Oklahoma   6'2''  330

5.  Richie Grant   S   Central Florida   6'0''  194

7.  Anthony McFarland   RB   Maryland   5'8''  193

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

2 minutes ago, theProf said:

This draft only makes sense, if they are assuming that Alex Mack gets cut, saving $8 million against the cap, and that Austin Hooper does not get re-signed.

This is probably the way that I would go in the draft, to be honest.

We need someone to replace Beasley.  There's not an obvious step-in replacement at this point.

I don't think that it makes sense to pay Austin Hooper 10mil/year when we could get a replacement on a rookie contract.  Sure, the rookie won't come in and immediately be as good, but really, Hooper's success is largely due to being on the same field as Jones and Ridley, and having Ryan under center.  Ryan makes everyone around him better, and that should come into consideration when we decide to pay people.

Regarding the OL...  I don't think that we'd cut Mack immediately; I think that we'd either start Hanson at LG, or just have him sit back and learn from one of the best for a year.  Need to draft a LG and perhaps an eventual replacement for Matthews in 2021.

50 minutes ago, robertap said:

This is probably the way that I would go in the draft, to be honest.

We need someone to replace Beasley.  There's not an obvious step-in replacement at this point.

I don't think that it makes sense to pay Austin Hooper 10mil/year when we could get a replacement on a rookie contract.  Sure, the rookie won't come in and immediately be as good, but really, Hooper's success is largely due to being on the same field as Jones and Ridley, and having Ryan under center.  Ryan makes everyone around him better, and that should come into consideration when we decide to pay people.

Regarding the OL...  I don't think that we'd cut Mack immediately; I think that we'd either start Hanson at LG, or just have him sit back and learn from one of the best for a year.  Need to draft a LG and perhaps an eventual replacement for Matthews in 2021.

I certainly understand what you are saying. However, I would prefer that the Falcons cut Mack, but re-sign Hooper.  Mack is declining, whereas, Hooper keeps improving. I do not think that the Falcons can keep Mack and also re-sign Hooper, as that will probably require too much cap space to do both.

If Atlanta were to resign Hooper, then I would draft a stud Running Back with that last pick in the second round. Drafttek's mock still had JK Dobbins and Travis Etienne available at pick #55.

3 minutes ago, theProf said:

I certainly understand what you are saying. However, I would prefer that the Falcons cut Mack, but re-sign Hooper.  Mack is declining, whereas, Hooper keeps improving. I do not think that the Falcons can keep Mack and also re-sign Hooper, as that will probably require too much cap space to do both.

If Atlanta were to resign Hooper, then I would draft a stud Running Back with that last pick in the second round. Drafttek's mock still had JK Dobbins and Travis Etienne available at pick #55.

As you say, Mack is declining.  We saw Ryan take way too many hits this year.  Mack, though declining, is better than any rookie that we're going to bring on board.  If we can bring in Mack's replacement this year, stick him at LG and let him develop next to Mack, then we're improving the team.  Re-signing Hooper and cutting Mack won't improve anything.

On the flip side, if we let Hooper walk and don't further destroy our salary cap with another 10 million dollar contract, Ryan will still get the ball to people.  I'm much more concerned about keeping Ryan upright than I am about keeping around high priced targets for him to throw to.  As long as Jones and Ridley are on the team, there's absolutely no reason to pay any other receivers big money.

I agree Falcons_ Frenzy. It is a shame that the FO is going to have to concentrate on how to get us out of this Cap BASEMENT instead of trying to get us back to the SB. TD and DQ  can't have another sub par season. So which takes priority, THE CAP or keeping and putting a team together that can win it all. It is going to be interesting.

2 hours ago, robertap said:

As you say, Mack is declining.  We saw Ryan take way too many hits this year.  Mack, though declining, is better than any rookie that we're going to bring on board.  If we can bring in Mack's replacement this year, stick him at LG and let him develop next to Mack, then we're improving the team.  Re-signing Hooper and cutting Mack won't improve anything.

On the flip side, if we let Hooper walk and don't further destroy our salary cap with another 10 million dollar contract, Ryan will still get the ball to people.  I'm much more concerned about keeping Ryan upright than I am about keeping around high priced targets for him to throw to.  As long as Jones and Ridley are on the team, there's absolutely no reason to pay any other receivers big money.

I’m expecting a middling offense but that defense has to come to play if the Falcons are to improve.Our identity has to be more hard nosed and for me the defense has to set the tone.Im resigned to the fact Koetter is going to pass and when push comes to shove he doesn’t know how to dictate to teams with a running game so identity wise it has to come from the other side of the ball.

I’m with you I’d try and keep Hooper and restructure Mack.

Even if we let Hoop walk, we still have a pass catching TE on the team.

If we go TE, we need to get one thats a certified mauler and essentially gives us a 6th lineman...someone in the mold of Toilolo. That man had a lot more to do w/ our successful run-game under Shanny than people give him credit for.

Edited by RubberDucky