NCFalconfan

Panthers Hiring Matt Rhule

101 posts in this topic

I know very little about this guy, but its who our rival is hiring apparently.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/matt-rhule

January 7th, 2020 at 9:00am CST by Zach Links

This is breaking news. Please refresh for updates.

The Panthers have agreed to hire Matt Rhule as their next head coach, according to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter). The Panthers came to terms with the Baylor head coach shortly after meeting with him. Clearly, they did not want him to get on a plane to New York and risk losing him to the Giants, who reportedly had him at the top of their list.

The two sides are currently hashing out terms of a deal. Once finalized, the deal will likely place him in the top half of NFL head coaching salaries, even though Rhule has limited pro experience.

Rhule’s sole season in the NFL came with the Giants, where he served as an assistant offensive line coach in 2012.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Posted (edited)

Panthers just became Arizona Cardinals part 2. Panthers will be drafting a QB now. This is good for us. More than likely Justin Herbert out of Oregon or Tua if he's still there.  College coach will draft a running QB to fit his system. I originally said Herbert would not go first round but now he will with this hire. Bengals- Burrows, Dolphins- Tua, Panthers- Herbert. Cam can pack his bags now. He doesnt fit this dudes system. We definately getting a good DL prospect in the draft now!. 

Edited by Refried Beans

2 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Panthers just became Arizona Cardinals part 2. Panthers will be drafting a QB now. This is good for us. 

I thought the opposite...that Cam Newton just found a new lease on life in CAR.

Obviously TBD...

Boise Falcon Fan and 408Falcon like this

Just now, FentayeJones said:

Why is the NFL so in love with Matt Rhule - what am I missing?

Its crazy, he couldnt hold a very depleted georgia offense and couldnt get anything going against an equally depleted defense in a bowl game. I usually dont hold much stock in a single game, but that was ridiculous.

I read earlier that his name was mentioned for possible Giants HC, but I'm not sure what the draw is for him. Just not that familiar..

8 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Panthers just became Arizona Cardinals part 2. Panthers will be drafting a QB now. This is good for us. 

What will happen if they go 1-15 or 2-14 and be in range for Lawrence?

PokerSteve likes this

10 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Panthers just became Arizona Cardinals part 2. Panthers will be drafting a QB now. This is good for us. More than likely Justin Herbert out of Oregon or Tua if he's still there.  College coach will draft a running QB to fit his system. I originally said Herbert would not go first round but now he will with this hire. Bengals- Burrows, Dolphins- Tua, Panthers- Herbert. Cam can pack his bags now. He doesnt fit this dudes system. We definately getting a good DL prospect in the draft now!. 

Wait... wait... Herbert is a running QB but Cam isn't? Have you ever watched a game of football?

athell, ya_boi_j, FA91 and 8 others like this

12 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I'm so much happier they did this instead of waiting to interview and hire Roman. Makes things a lot harder on them next season. 

You think he will hire Wade Phillips as his DC?

Always a roll of this dice taking a college coach (as we know). This isn't the Big 12. We'll see but so far up here the fan reaction up here is pretty mixed. Most are asking who this guy is.

12 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

I read earlier that his name was mentioned for possible Giants HC, but I'm not sure what the draw is for him. Just not that familiar..

according to the talk during the bowl game, he grew up in NY. I believe they also said he had some time there as an assistant at one point in time? thought I may be remembering it incorrectly

I think this is a very good hire honestly. I know people will watch the Georgia game and be like "LOL HE SUCKS" but reality is, he took over Baylor right after one of the worst college scandals in recent memory and made them competitive. He helped turn Temple into a respectable program as well.

26 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

What is his system?

Posted (edited)

Ovie- Cam WAS a running QB. He's too old for this dudes system. Cam is going to Chicago, where he is a better fit. 

Edited by Refried Beans
PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

Why is the NFL so in love with Matt Rhule - what am I missing?

He is a great leader of men.  That’s something that translates from high school to college to NFL.

£.   Temple was 2-10 when Rhule was hired.  Two years later they were 10-3.  A year later 11-2.

£.   Baylor was 1-11 when Ruhle was hired.  Two years later they were 11-1.

The fact both programs turned so quickly shows he isn’t simply winning by adding better recruits.  He is taking the old regime’s players and turning them into conference champions.  That speaks to great coaching.  Coughlin loved him when he was on the Giants staff.  This will turn out to be a very good hire for Carolina