Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charles Wright

Defense must be a priority!

48 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

You disagree that our pass rush looked good after the coaching changes in the second half?  You disagree that our OL looked bad in pass protection and run blocking in both halves of the season?

Agree on both.

The pieces on the DL are a train wreck, and  OL in comparison is significantly higher in terms of signed and upside growth if we are talking cards to play on roster.

Charles Wright likes this

When it comes to the defense I think if the team improves its front seven the secondary will be better. Now that's not saying we don't need a safety, but i don't think we need to put emphasis on a corner like some believe. Oliver and Sheffield played hard and pending on injury then we should draft corner with one of our top five picks. not with the 1st. the 1st two picks should be DL and LB.

18 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

You disagree that our pass rush looked good after the coaching changes in the second half?  You disagree that our OL looked bad in pass protection and run blocking in both halves of the season?

Again, this is more of a knock on Dirk than the players.  Our defensive coaching adjusted, our OC made it worse in the second half of the year.

9 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Agree on both.

The pieces on the DL are a train wreck, and  OL in comparison is significantly higher in terms of signed and upside growth if we are talking cards to play on roster.

I just disagree.  We have got to give Matt and Julio, even Ridley for that matter a dominant OL.   We have one of the greatest receivers in the history of the NFL and we are wasting his prime years, by not letting him blow the top off of defenses simply because our OL can't hold up long enough in pass pro.

Just now, Rings said:

Again, this is more of a knock on Dirk than the players.  Our defensive coaching adjusted, our OC made it worse.

Dirk is a horrible OC, but out OL is horrible also. I don't care if the Patriots OL coach was coaching them they would still suck

7 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Dirk is a horrible OC, but out OL is horrible also. I don't care if the Patriots OL coach was coaching them they would still suck

I disagree 100%.  LG is a worry for me, curios to see if Gono is the long term answer, but OL is one of the hardest spots to adjust from college to NFL, it just takes time.  Especially when Lindstrom missed 3/4 of the season and McGary had no offseason because of his surgery, give them some time. 

Our D-Line needs people who can beat blocks, Beasley is likely gone (which I'll be happy about), Clayborn is a FA.  The two guys with the most pressures last year were Clayborn (situational pass rusher), and Jarrett (DT).  We need someone creating some pressure from the edge at a better rate than we currently do.

And Dante Scarnecchia made Nate Solder look like an all pro while he was there, just to go crap the bed in New York.  He would work wonders with this line.

1 minute ago, Rings said:

I disagree 100%.  LG is a worry for me, curios to see if Gono is the long term answer, but OL is one of the hardest spots to adjust from college to NFL, it just takes time.  Especially when Lindstrom missed 3/4 of the season and McGary had no offseason because of his surgery, give them some time. 

Our D-Line needs people who can beat blocks, Beasley is likely gone (which I'll be happy about), Clayborn is a FA.  The two guys with the most pressures last year were Clayborn (situational pass rusher), and Jarrett (DT).  We need someone creating some pressure from the edge at a better rate than we currently do.

And Dante Scarnecchia made Nate Solder look like an all pro while he was there, just to go crap the bed in New York.  He would work wonders with this line...also our O-Line coach isn't good.

TD has not been able to put together a great OL in the 12 years he has been here.  I would give him 2 seasons where the OL was above average, the season that Dahl & Clabo were dominant and the 2016 season.  And he does not deserve credit for 2016 because that line improved because Mack and Chester were brought in and those were former Shanny players that he pushed to bring in. We will never be able to run the ball and setup play action or throw the deep balls to Julio unless we fix the line.  Bottom line is, I do not have faith that TD can build a dominant OL, but I do have faith that Quinn can coach up a good DL as he did in the second half.    

I would like at guys like Bruce Irvin and Michael Bennett In free agency. Both are still effective players and wouldn’t cost a ton. I wanted to resign Irvin last year.  I also would look at someone like Ronald Blair, who was a good backup for the 49ers. He is coming off an ACL so he is a good bet for a 1 year deal. I feel like we will need to go pass rush by committee next year and hope we land an impact player in the draft. I would also look at LB Darren Lee in free agency. He didn’t play much this year and could be another solid bet for a 1 year deal. He seems to fit our system and we need some depth at LB. 

21 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

I just disagree.  We have got to give Matt and Julio, even Ridley for that matter a dominant OL.   We have one of the greatest receivers in the history of the NFL and we are wasting his prime years, by not letting him blow the top off of defenses simply because our OL can't hold up long enough in pass pro.

The problem is; if we can't get the opposing offense off the field and not scoring 30+ pts, we'll be constantly having to throw the ball to try and catch up. As for the OL we need a better coach for them, hope that happens. Still even tho there is still a need on the OL, the much stronger need is for a dominant DL.

OrthoPTSD likes this

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

The problem is; if we can't get the opposing offense off the field and not scoring 30+ pts, we'll be constantly having to throw the ball to try and catch up. As for the OL we need a better coach for them, hope that happens. Still even tho there is still a need on the OL, the much stronger need is for a dominant DL.

Did you watch our defense the last 7-8 games?  They did everything you are describing and a whole **** of a lot more.  They were a dominant defense for most of the second half.  I have faith the Quinn, Morris, and Ulbrich can keep it up.

4 minutes ago, FalconDawg28 said:

I would like at guys like Bruce Irvin and Michael Bennett In free agency. Both are still effective players and wouldn’t cost a ton. I wanted to resign Irvin last year.  I also would look at someone like Ronald Blair, who was a good backup for the 49ers. He is coming off an ACL so he is a good bet for a 1 year deal. I feel like we will need to go pass rush by committee next year and hope we land an impact player in the draft. I would also look at LB Darren Lee in free agency. He didn’t play much this year and could be another solid bet for a 1 year deal. He seems to fit our system and we need some depth at LB. 

So we follow the same old unsuccessful plan. Hire injured, kinda maybe good guys and hope they'll be great. Then we can go get another receiver or some such meh.

12 minutes ago, Gonobeast said:

Sign Vinny Curry 

Signed by Tampa last year. made it one year and cut! Yeah that should (not) be the answer.

I agree with focusing on defense but I think we need to do whatever possible to keep hooper because of his skills in red zone. He is one of our best targets in the red zone with his ability to body defenders. With Julio drawing double coverage, Hooper will be left in single coverage most plays which is a tough matchup for any linebacker. Red zone production is really important in the nfl. And more and more teams are emphasizing the tight end position. Almost all of the teams in the playoffs have very good production from their tight ends.

1 hour ago, ATL_666 said:

The numbers game can not be denied though pal, I'd like better results on OL, but pieces are in place and will be allowed to grow. Same cannot be said on D as not enough signed to even field a first string, much less second etc...

53 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

TD has not been able to put together a great OL in the 12 years he has been here.  I would give him 2 seasons where the OL was above average, the season that Dahl & Clabo were dominant and the 2016 season.  And he does not deserve credit for 2016 because that line improved because Mack and Chester were brought in and those were former Shanny players that he pushed to bring in. We will never be able to run the ball and setup play action or throw the deep balls to Julio unless we fix the line.  Bottom line is, I do not have faith that TD can build a dominant OL, but I do have faith that Quinn can coach up a good DL as he did in the second half.    

1)  We don't know if the line can be dominant...let those guys have a full offseason and we will see what they can do.  2) Dirk leaving them on an island most the time doesn't help.  If you watched the Seahawks/Eagles game, you will notice that Clowney was giving Peters problems, and the solution was to have Ertz or Goeddert stay back and help block...Dirk does not make those adjustments and makes them look worse than they are.  3)  Dan took a step back after the bye, he didn't coach the DL up more, he became more hands off because it was too much to be HC/DC/DL Coach.  In fact the DL didn't actually get much better, our coverage did which gave them time to get home.  Our coverage was the biggest change as a team the back half the season, not the pass rush.

3 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

The numbers game can not be denied though pal, I'd like better results on OL, but pieces are in place and will be allowed to grow. Same cannot be said on D as not enough signed to even field a first string, much less second etc...

I am not saying we should not draft DL.  What I am saying is that I think we should go OL with our first 2 picks again like we did last year and then address DL.  I am prioritizing OL help, especially interior over Defense.  

1 minute ago, Rings said:

1)  We don't know if the line can be dominant...let those guys have a full offseason and we will see what they can do.  2) Dirk leaving them on an island most the time doesn't help.  If you watched the Seahawks/Eagles game, you will notice that Clowney was giving Peters problems, and the solution was to have Ertz or Goeddert stay back and help block...Dirk does not make those adjustments and makes them look worse than they are.  3)  Dan took a step back after the bye, he didn't coach the DL up more.  In fact the DL didn't actually get much better, our coverage did which gave them time to get home.  Our coverage was the biggest change as a team the back half the season, not the pass rush.

I guess I am wrong, but I thought Quinn was coaching the DL the entire season. Or at least very much involved with that position group specifically since that is his specialty.  If I am mistaken then I concede that point.   And yes, Dirk doesn't help our horrible OL either which is more reason why we need an abundance of talent there.

1 minute ago, ATL_666 said:

I guess I am wrong, but I thought Quinn was coaching the DL the entire season. Or at least very much involved with that position group specifically since that is his specialty.  If I am mistaken then I concede that point.   And yes, Dirk doesn't help our horrible OL either which is more reason why we need an abundance of talent there.

He was early in the year...we was wearing three hats pretty much.  He admitted he had bitten off more than he could chew and took a step back and had others take over.  I think him just being stretched too thin didn't allow the proper communication and that's why there was so much confusion all over the defense.  Once Morris went over and helped it was night and day.

37 minutes ago, Chaz said:

So we follow the same old unsuccessful plan. Hire injured, kinda maybe good guys and hope they'll be great. Then we can go get another receiver or some such meh.

Falcons are not going to be able to go sign an elite pass rushers for 5 years 85-100 million. Depth pieces are going to need to be added. Bruce Irvin produces 8.5 sacks for the panthers. Michael Bennett produces 4 and didn’t play the whole season. Building depth through free agency with solid players on short term deals doesn’t hurt the team and also allows them to draft and develop guys at that position. I also didn’t say anything about a WR. I would still target defense in the draft but the likelihood you find multiple pass rushers as rookies is unlikely. 

2 hours ago, Jpg428gggg said:

I agree with focusing on defense but I think we need to do whatever possible to keep hooper because of his skills in red zone. He is one of our best targets in the red zone with his ability to body defenders. With Julio drawing double coverage, Hooper will be left in single coverage most plays which is a tough matchup for any linebacker. Red zone production is really important in the nfl. And more and more teams are emphasizing the tight end position. Almost all of the teams in the playoffs have very good production from their tight ends.

Well, he (Hooper) only had 6 td's so not exactly a red zone king.