Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charles Wright

Defense must be a priority!

48 posts in this topic

So much push for offense; resign Hooper, get a hot RB and OL. Our main focus should be defense after all the neglect it has seen here. We've tried the so called hot de's in Beasley and Tak with only moderate success. Go for a big time defensive end in fa with that money. Clowney, Ngakoue and Chris Jones are coming free. Would have a much stouter impact than a tight end, unless his name is Tony Gonzalez. We need some proven talent on the defensive side of the ball.

1 minute ago, The Don™ said:

Defense should be first pick. DT would be first choice for me. DE and LB are a close second. Regardless, best available defensive player please.

I really like Simmons out of Clemson if we go LB.

If the claims of them initially liking Wilkins but went Lindstrom instead are true, I can see defense being first this year

Don’t think FA is the place to do it.

If you want a stud forget about it costs are too prohibitive.

Falcons will be pass rush by committee.Grady Needs help I’m interested in at least one vet and maybe resigning Clayborn or Means.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Falcons will be pass rush by committee.Grady Needs help I’m interested in at least one vet and maybe resigning Clayborn or Means.

Yeah "big time" FAs on both sides of the line are grossly overpaid. Especially with our cap situation. 

We'll probably go DL or LB first pick and add a piece or two on the DL in FA. It's been our M.O. with signings like Crawford, Clayborn, Bailey, Davison, Irvin, Freeney, etc. They're relatively cheap and do their part. 

kiwifalcon likes this

It's only prohibitive when it's for serious pressure and disruption on our defense. Anything goes if it's JJ or Ryan, or even ------- Freeman! We stay at 7-9 or maybe 8-8 with the other team moving at will and keeping our O off the field. Time for some better spent money, imo.

3 minutes ago, Chaz said:

It's only prohibitive when it's for serious pressure and disruption on our defense. Anything goes if it's JJ or Ryan, or even ------- Freeman! We stay at 7-9 or maybe 8-8 with the other team moving at will and keeping our O off the field. Time for some better spent money, imo.

Draft is where we do that lifting.

FO and coach have a big job this off season remodelling this team.

I just want to see this team play consistently and up to its ability instead of seeing it in spurts.How the **** do you start a season 1-7 then come home 6-2 and beating the 2 best teams in the NFC away if the **** team has a lack of talent.

This is what’s frustrating our HC screwed the preparation and by the time he found the answers the team came good even though the pressure valve had been released and we could go no further.

7-9 back to back they had a decent excuse last year being riddled with injuries this year they just dropped the ball.

Malachore likes this

"Draft is where we do that lifting." Yeah, how well has that worked for our draft experts? Two 1st round DE's and we applaud their stinking pressures. Those I named are proven difference makers. We need playmakers, well like Grady. We lucked into him in the 5th rd. Like someone said on these boards the other day, we drafted rookies for the OL last year and spent half the season training them up. We need some blast right out of the gate, not after 1-7.

2 hours ago, The Don™ said:

Defense should be first pick. DT would be first choice for me. DE and LB are a close second. Regardless, best available defensive player please.

I really like Simmons out of Clemson if we go LB.

Don't you mean defense should be the first FA signed? TATF always thinks an NCAA rookie is the best way to patch a hole. Rookies usually get their ases handed to em in year one. Sometimes year two and three. Stop trying to patch glaring Dimi holes with rooks.

Charles Wright likes this

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Don't you mean defense should be the first FA signed? TATF always thinks an NCAA rookie is the best way to patch a hole. Rookies usually get their ases handed to em in year one. Sometimes year two and three. Stop trying to patch glaring Dimi holes with rooks.

Strictly talking draft on my post, '70. 

We'll probably pick up a couple vets in FA at least. 

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I’d be good w Clayborn.  Draft a stud and sign another economical vet that can be a leader/teacher like freeney.  

kiwifalcon and Rings like this

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

"Draft is where we do that lifting." Yeah, how well has that worked for our draft experts? Two 1st round DE's and we applaud their stinking pressures. Those I named are proven difference makers. We need playmakers, well like Grady. We lucked into him in the 5th rd. Like someone said on these boards the other day, we drafted rookies for the OL last year and spent half the season training them up. We need some blast right out of the gate, not after 1-7.

It’s easy to say we need this and that the secret is drafting and developing.FA isn’t where the leagues won.The draft is then get em in the door and as above coach em up.

Oline is poor place to talk about coming out of the gate fact of the matter is olineman are the position that struggle mightily because of the level difference between college and pro.

Judging that after 5 mins is short term thinking.

Irregardless, we need an influx of defensive help to be this "consistent" that's being bantered about. A monster on the D line would be a great place to start. Get the best, maybe Simmons, linebacker that can really compliment Debo. We need a RB and I'd love to see Najee Harris fill that role.

kiwifalcon likes this

That would work as well, but I still say grab a randy 1st rate vet to mentor and lead the push up front. That would make our secondary a lot better by taking them off the island of having to cover so long. We're in a good place if we get it right this year. 

I'm tired of the rebuild mode, we been doing that for so long. As you say rookies can become great, hope they do. and if that's how we go then pour it on and go strong for defense in this draft. So many talk of strengthening the D, then backpedal over some O player that may be great but not where our greatest need lies. Early we do need an Rb, there are some really good ones to be had with our 2nd 2 or even rd 3. 

2 hours ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

I’d be good w Clayborn.  Draft a stud and sign another economical vet that can be a leader/teacher like freeney.  

Am I the only one who cares less if Clayborn is kept? Move the needle please.

Right now Cominsky is only  signed hold over(Grady withstanding of course) whom may grow into something that we don't have, above average DL play.

A- Mariner held point of attack and generally played like his hair was on fire and think we still have control of him as well, but DL will look drastically different. I think will be impossible for NOT to have draft heavy DL defense as well as FA newbies.

On that note I see sweet spot for number 16 being prime for taking top of crop at LB as BPA.

5 hours ago, Chaz said:

So much push for offense; resign Hooper, get a hot RB and OL. Our main focus should be defense after all the neglect it has seen here. We've tried the so called hot de's in Beasley and Tak with only moderate success. Go for a big time defensive end in fa with that money. Clowney, Ngakoue and Chris Jones are coming free. Would have a much stouter impact than a tight end, unless his name is Tony Gonzalez. We need some proven talent on the defensive side of the ball.

•  

I think interior OL is top priority.  If you look at the second half of the season our defense did a complete 180 with the coaching changes, even our pass rush was pretty good.  On the other hand our OL, both pass protection & run blocking, sucked in both the first half and second half.  I think Quinn, Morris, and Ulbrich can work with what we have and maybe some picks in rounds 3-5, but if it were up to me I would go OL with the first 2 picks just like we did last year.

5 hours ago, Chaz said:

Go for a big time defensive end in fa with that money. Clowney, Ngakoue and Chris Jones are coming free. Would have a much stouter impact than a tight end, unless his name is Tony Gonzalez. We need some proven talent on the defensive side of the ball.

With what money? This team is bucked for next year. 

Yeah if we keep Hooper and Beasley. Needs are greater than them, especially the hope against hope for Beasley! We need some REAL push in our DL people and like yesterday!

8 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

I think interior OL is top priority.  If you look at the second half of the season our defense did a complete 180 with the coaching changes, even our pass rush was pretty good.  On the other hand our OL, both pass protection & run blocking, sucked in both the first half and second half.  I think Quinn, Morris, and Ulbrich can work with what we have and maybe some picks in rounds 3-5, but if it were up to me I would go OL with the first 2 picks just like we did last year.

I think opposite, at least on OL have some young pieces, including Gono.

DL is not even bare minimum, got to have some bodies

11 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Am I the only one who cares less if Clayborn is kept? Move the needle please.

Right now Cominsky is only  signed hold over(Grady withstanding of course) whom may grow into something that we don't have, above average DL play.

A- Mariner held point of attack and generally played like his hair was on fire and think we still have control of him as well, but DL will look drastically different. I think will be impossible for NOT to have draft heavy DL defense as well as FA newbies.

On that note I see sweet spot for number 16 being prime for taking top of crop at LB as BPA.

No, I want sweat clayborn either way but he’s very serviceable.  In an ideal world I tend to agree “move needle” but I’m skeptical period since we’ve kept the whole status quote it appears.  Irregardless we gotta draft some serious D talent (needle movers) and I truly blv we need a vet leader too.  

Charles Wright likes this

1 minute ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I think opposite, at least on OL have some young pieces, including Gono.

DL is not even bare minimum, got to have some bodies

You disagree that our pass rush looked good after the coaching changes in the second half?  You disagree that our OL looked bad in pass protection and run blocking in both halves of the season?