Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Refried Beans

Old School bruising running back is what we need

20 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I was just thinking the same thing. By the end of the playoffs there’s gonna be so many different things people are going to wanna copy. It almost feels like the playoffs is the only time People watch teams other than the Falcons

This is what happens when your team doesn't have a true identity. Fans see other teams success and think we should scrap everything we've been doing for 4 years. Lets get the right Players in FA/Draft to fit what we do. Derrick Henry would be average behind this line. Matthews is solid but not a world beater-LG ??? C-Old beat up Mack or a Green Rookie - RG Lindstrom Good Rookie season still a question Mark-RT Mcgary showed some fight and promise but got his *** kicked a lot  hes a question mark too

Get the DL at 16  OL/LB/RB with the remaining picks

Lets get the same size running back as everyone else with a worse o-line and expect to go to the Super Bowl. OR let's admit our front office cant draft linemen and get a BIG sized back who maybe can create something with a poor line in front of him. Doing what we always do will get what we always get. Nothing changed so nothing changed. ZERO Lombardis. Najee Harris Round 2 late, let's go! 

Posted (edited)

Cant blame a fan base for wanting something different, especially since their team has never won a Championship and ownership has made ZERO changes to their front office in 20 years and the results are always the same, cant run football, cant play defense, and cant win championships.  But yet owner talks like front office is doing great things. I bet Home Depot was glad Bernie Marcus was there geez. 

Edited by Refried Beans

22 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

We need a bowling ball back running the rock like Jamal Anderson, William Andrews, Michael Turner, not these small backs that cant bring the heat. Bryan Hill and Ollison are a start but keep adding bruisers. Get rid of these Ito Smith, Freeman ineffective third down backs, let's bring the wood to some people next year and just rotate the heavy hitters in and demolish people. Anyone coming out we can get late to add to Hill and Ollison? 6'2 225+

If I got a dollar for every time this was mentioned on TATF, I'd take a long vacation in the Caribbean or Maui.

It's an old, tired complaint. Funny how we were just fine with Free and Teco when Kyle and Sark were calling the plays. 

On 1/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, Beef said:

Hill is 6’1 220, and Ollison is 6’1 230.

What we need is a 3-down back with real speed and vision.  Something Hill and Ollison don’t have.

These guys are great for goal line, short yardage, and maybe eating up the clock late in games, but they are not #1 backs you can lean a season on.

Maybe Hill can play the Tevin Coleman role, but obviously he’s not near as fast, so he’s going to have to do it differently somehow.

We need a pre-injury SB season Freeman.  Unfortunately, the actual Devonta Freeman has fallen off a cliff and I don’t think he’s capable of climbing back up.

And Ito Smith is simply a question mark because he can’t stay healthy.

We HAVE to get a RB with speed. We don’t have one currently who can break off a run and take it to the house.  All our backs can currently get run down by good LB’s. They don’t stand a chance of beating DB’s in a sprinting match, and that’s not good.

I feel like we're missing TeCo.

I wish we'd have kept him cheap and let Free walk.......

6 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Lets get the same size running back as everyone else with a worse o-line and expect to go to the Super Bowl. OR let's admit our front office cant draft linemen and get a BIG sized back who maybe can create something with a poor line in front of him. Doing what we always do will get what we always get. Nothing changed so nothing changed. ZERO Lombardis. Najee Harris Round 2 late, let's go! 

The idea that a "big sized back" can create something from nothing is fatally flawed. 

Posted (edited)

Earl Campbell proved this. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Bo Jackson 6'1

Jim Brown 6'2

Eric Dickerson 6'3

Herschel Walker 6'1

Gayle Sayers 6'0

OJ Simpson 6'1 

All played behind terrible lines like Atlanta has. Big back or bust 2020. Najee Harris or AJ Dillion.No more scat back, third down back trash like Ito Smith and Freeman, we need bruisers not concussion magnets. You cant teach size.   

Edited by Refried Beans

If you have a bad line it's more important to have an elusive back than a power back.  Because he's going to have to make guys miss and create his own space.

What we need is to make the OL solid and utilize a scheme that works.  Those are most important...but yeah, I'd like to have a stronger power back and a quick/elusive guy to deploy differently.  Both will need holes.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Just because he's big? When there are plenty of other big backs in the draft that are better than him.....smh. Playoff games bring out the geniuses.

For the Falcons our smaller running backs don't seem work very well.

12 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Cant blame a fan base for wanting something different, especially since their team has never won a Championship and ownership has made ZERO changes to their front office in 20 years and the results are always the same, cant run football, cant play defense, and cant win championships.  But yet owner talks like front office is doing great things. I bet Home Depot was glad Bernie Marcus was there geez. 

Exactly. We should copy the Titans. Dynasty right there. Just look at how many Lombardi's they have. How many is it bro? I can't remember. Like 3 or 4?

1 hour ago, falcon90 said:

I like Najee but not because he is big. I think he is one of the more complete backs in the draft. Runs hard, catches the ball, blocks, etc.

This.  I really think he's gonna be the most productive rb in this draft.

8 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Earl Campbell proved this. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Bo Jackson 6'1

Jim Brown 6'2

Eric Dickerson 6'3

Herschel Walker 6'1

Gayle Sayers 6'0

OJ Simpson 6'1 

All played behind terrible lines like Atlanta has. Big back or bust 2020. Najee Harris or AJ Dillion.No more scat back, third down back trash like Ito Smith and Freeman, we need bruisers not concussion magnets. You cant teach size.   

You’re living in the past man, those guys have been retired longer than most of this board has watched football, the athletes have changed, the rules have changed, a big bruising back hasn’t won a super bowl in forever.   Bettis may be the last in Pitt? (Could be way off, just can’t think of any recently).  Guys that size are much faster now so they go play defense because that’s where the money is.

Everyone wants a run game after watching wild card weekend, but it isn’t going to happen while Dirk is here.  Not only is he unbalanced, but he is ineffective  calling any kind of run game when he does.  

I really think we might draft Swift. We can’t draft another WR and Blank wants to sell more tickets. Just watch him go for the “sexy” pick and leave defensive help on the board. We’ll take a CB in the second and some small school gadget in the 3rd. A TE in the 4th a DT in the 5th and a WR in the 7th. 

Not saying I won’t like Swift but I’m not really on board w that draft. We’ve seen this movie before.