2020 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great work on all of this.

That's 162 beetches who are about to get whooped.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

Kiley McDaniel's written a piece evaluating MLB team management strategies.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/29885193/how-san-diego-padres-aj-preller-other-mlb-gms-decide-go-it

It's low-key passive-aggressive against Alex Anthopoulous. In fact, some of it sounds like @Malachore.

It's a solid analysis overall, but one thing it doesn't even remotely touch on is the dearth of talent available in the lower minors for Atlanta, which his precisely where the Padres and Preller dealt from. The international restrictions will ease in this next period, but it will still take a number of good years to build it back up. Until then, let's all be glad that we still have one of the relatively youngest teams in baseball, with a majority of our talent still here for a number of years. 

For San Diego, while they have bonafide superstars in Tatis and Machado, they are still being buoyed by unexpected production from Hosmer and Wil Myers. Both of whom are far exceeding any of their previous best years. 

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

It's a solid analysis overall, but one thing it doesn't even remotely touch on is the dearth of talent available in the lower minors for Atlanta, which his precisely where the Padres and Preller dealt from. The international restrictions will ease in this next period, but it will still take a number of good years to build it back up. Until then, let's all be glad that we still have one of the relatively youngest teams in baseball, with a majority of our talent still here for a number of years. 

For San Diego, while they have bonafide superstars in Tatis and Machado, they are still being buoyed by unexpected production from Hosmer and Wil Myers. Both of whom are far exceeding any of their previous best years. 

I mean, he does kind of touch on it when he explains why we couldn't make some trades others could. What's interesting about Hosmer and Myers is that they were both the top hitting prospect in the game at one point.

As a rookie, Myers looked like he was going to be a star, but it seems like he's been a streak hitter most of his career. In a short sample size season like this, those guys look better than they are, which we're seeing with DuVall. Confidence goes such a long way in baseball. Hosmer's kind of a different case because he's gotten MVP votes in multiple seasons. He's a good ballplayer.

Jake Cronenworth is the one that makes no sense on the Padres. His own parents wouldn't expect a season like this. I have no idea what happened after 2018, but his last 15 months don't line up with the rest of his career at all.

7 minutes ago, jidady said:

I mean, he does kind of touch on it when he explains why we couldn't make some trades others could. What's interesting about Hosmer and Myers is that they were both the top hitting prospect in the game at one point.

As a rookie, Myers looked like he was going to be a star, but it seems like he's been a streak hitter most of his career. In a short sample size season like this, those guys look better than they are, which we're seeing with DuVall. Confidence goes such a long way in baseball. Hosmer's kind of a different case because he's gotten MVP votes in multiple seasons. He's a good ballplayer.

Jake Cronenworth is the one that makes sense on the Padres. His own parents wouldn't expect a season like this. I have no idea what happened after 2018, but his last 15 months don't line up with the rest of his career at all.

I mean, barely. The major-league pieces SD dealt were basically the equivalent of us trading Wright, Alex Jackson, and another graduated prospect (not even sure he have anything equivalent to Josh Naylor, who's MIL numbers were severely boosted by playing in the PCL). What we didn't have were the lower level guys like Arias or Cantillo. Shewmake would probably be the comparable to Owen Miller. I will say that Kiley got reassigned to a different post after the baseball operations shakeup in 2017, so I'll just attribute the majority of the snark in his writing (especially that last paragraph) to some ill feelings towards the team/current FO.

For the money those two are making, they ought to be producing at their current levels all of the time. They still owe Myers $46m through the end of 2022 and Hosmer $89m through 2025 (assuming he doesn't unthinkably opt out after 2022).

Do agree on Cronenworth coming out of nowhere. His batted ball profile does lead me to believe that these numbers could be mostly legit, as he is in the upper 3rd on pretty much all meaningful measurements. 

On this glorious day, the Atlanta Braves clinched the NL East for the third consecutive year.

The Braves are 11 games over .500 after winning the division. The second place team is one game over .500 (28-27), and everyone else in the NL East is under .500 at the time.

We have also scored the most runs in baseball to this point. We have 326 runs on the season, while only one other team is over 300. The Dodgers have 312, while SD is at exactly 300.

Atlanta wants the DH forever.

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Seriously question from a old Braves fan....how good our pitching and didn’t we lose one of our ace pitchers a while back and who replaced him if that’s was the case?.

Starters have been turning the corner here lately and our pen is deadly.. Soroka did get injured but Max, Ian, and now Kyle have shown patience is the way to go 

1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

Seriously question from a old Braves fan....how good our pitching and didn’t we lose one of our ace pitchers a while back and who replaced him if that’s was the case?.

Ian Anderson basically took Soroka's spot in the rotation and has been great right out of the gate. Kyle Wright and Bryse Wilson appear to have turned the corner and are finally living up to their potential. Max Fried was very good last year and has naturally taken the next step forward this year. Fried, Anderson, Wright and Wilson are the arms we're going with in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

Fried took ove the ace role after Soroka got hurt. He has pitched  all season and has an ERA of 2.25.   Ian Anderson has made 4 or 5 starts and has been close to dominant with an era of 1.95 Kyle Wilson was terrible early but got sent down and came back up to have 3 great starts. And our bullpen is filthy.  We have 4 guys that would be closers on almost any other team

49 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Freeman was asked about the final year of his deal

A couple years ago when hope of the Braves having success again seemed like it was a long, long, long way away I felt like there was a chance Freddie could leave and go to somewhere like the Dodgers or Angels so he could be close to his dad and home but now I'll be stunned if he leaves.

55 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Freeman was asked about the final year of his deal

I decided to check the comments on that and a couple of the contract suggestions are absolutely ridiculously bad. One person said 8 for $200M and another said 6 for $190M. Holy crap are those suggestions nowhere near realistic for Freddie's age 32 plus years. I'm thinking something along the lines of 5 for $85M being the starting point and working our way from there.

Edited by AUTiger7222