2020 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's 162 beetches who are about to get whooped.

Great work on all of this.

New year new thread

Posted Images

Actual busts:

1. Manny Banuelos. Considering the Yankees traded him for Chevon Shreve, he's mostly a bust for them. He was a flier. 
2. Ricardo Sanchez. We acquired him when he was 17YO in exchange for spare part Kyle Kubitza. He's still young, but with another organization. 
3. Zach Bird. One of the fifty players moved in the Hector Olivera debacle. 
4. Aaron Blair. The third part of a deal that got us our starting shortstop and centerfielder. 
5. Drew Harrington. OK, hated this 2nd-round pick from day 1. 
6. Luis Gohara. The Braves took a Mariners bust and got him to the majors. He couldn't stay there because of physical and psychological reasons. Is that a reflection on "Braves development"? 

Not busts, but disappointing:

1. Matt Wisler. Centerpiece of the Craig Kimbrel trade. Still has overall positive value as a Brave, and was traded for useful piece Adam Duvall.
2. Kolby Allard. Certainly trading the overall #16 pick in the first draft of the rebuild at the deadline for a reliever is not what anyone was hoping for, but... we knew some of the arms would be used in trades to shore up areas of need which was exactly what happened. 
3. Sean Newcomb. He's accumulated 4.4 bWAR as a Brave. The only thing that makes him disappointing is what we gave up for him.
4. Joey Wentz. Same comment as Allard, except he was a comp-round pick instead of #16 overall. 

Not busts:

1. Tyrell Jenkins. Was a throw in with Shelby Miller in the Heyward deal, got to the majors, then got flipped for Luke Jackson who is now a key member of the bullpen. 
1. Mike Foltynewicz. He literally was an All-Star for Atlanta. It certainly didn't end well, but *bust* is someone who had zero or less value. He helped two Braves teams get to the playoffs.
2. Mike Soroka.
3. AJ Minter. He had a bad year last year and was hurt. He had good years in 2017 and 2018. He's a reliever, that happens. Calling him a "bust" at this point is dumb. 
4. John Gant. We got him for spare parts, we converted him into Jaime Garcia, who we converted into Huascar Ynoa.
5. Rob Whalen. Got him in the same trade as Gant, we converted him and Max Povse into Alex Jackson. 
6. Paco Rodriguez. He was an established pitcher, not a developing one. He was hurt when we acquired him and he couldn't get back. They're "fliers" because it's known the chance of success is dubious.
7. Akeel Morris. Another flier, acquired for nothing. 

TBD:
1. Touki Toussaint.
2. Ian Anderson.
3. Kyle Muller.
4. Bryse Wilson. 
5. Kyle Wright.
6. Huascar Ynoa. 

Not even on the spreadsheet for some reason: Tucker Davidson (TBD, on 40-man), Freddy Tarnok (TBD), Tristan Beck (turned into Mark Melancon), Patrick Weigel (TBD, on 40-man), Jasseel De La Cruz (TBD, on-40 man), Evan Phillips (turned into Kevin Gausman), Jeremy Walker (TBD, on 40-man), Bruce Zimmermann (turned into Kevin Gausman), Andrew Thurman (bust), Chris Ellis (turned into Jaime Garcia), Thomas Burrows (TBD), Jose Ramirez (key bullpen member for 2 years), 

Braves revenue was just $11M in the second quarter. Braves have slashed pay for all FO employees making more than $50K a year. Other operating expenses have been cut as well. Braves are just one of many trying to figure out how to adjust to no fans. Official number was $26M in the red. With a 60 game season the payroll is $55M if the season is completed. Its $916K per game to field the roster.

I hadn't posted this article due to the sour grapes aspect, but I've decided it merits some discussion.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/08/09/lucas-sims-slams-braves-reds-care-making-pitchers-better/3329797001/

Based on performance, I do think it's fair to question the effectiveness of our organization with regards to developing pitchers.

2 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I just posted something similar.  

Folty and Julio losing velocity and Wright not using his fastball. It actually does merit discussion. Plus when we had McDowell there was a lot of injuries. 

Yeah, was talking to someone last night who was talking about how great Roger McDowell was and how the young arms seemed to develop just fine under him and all I could keep thinking about was all the injuries the Braves had when he was here. What good is developing great pitchers if they all get hurt after only a couple years and never recover from it?

20 hours ago, jidady said:

I hadn't posted this article due to the sour grapes aspect, but I've decided it merits some discussion.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/08/09/lucas-sims-slams-braves-reds-care-making-pitchers-better/3329797001/

Based on performance, I do think it's fair to question the effectiveness of our organization with regards to developing pitchers.

We talked about this on the last podcast. Sims seems to be responding to the Driveline philosophy of figuring out what a pitcher does best and refining that and discarding options that don't fare as well. 

Under previous regimes, with young pitchers that they were hoping to make starters, it was common to take away a pitcher's best weapon because they wanted them to focus on their other pitches to get them up to major league caliber, knowing that a starter needs multiple weapons. In Sims's case, after he basically blew away the SAL mostly using his curveball (see gif above), they made him cut back on it to focus on fastball command and his change-up. Results got worse (as expected), but then he got hurt in the bus crash. He struggled with his mechanics afterwards. By the time he got to triple-A, his wind-up looked like a clockwork toy.

Anyway, now that he's firmly in the relief pitcher camp, it's good that he's rediscovered the bite on his curveball and his mechanics looks a lot smoother. I'm sure their biometric analysis helped him out with that. Good on Lucas, I hope he's successful.

But as for the Braves, the FO has pretty much done a complete overhaul of the pitcher development system over the last 2 years. 

Well, I must say I was VERY wrong about this year's bull pen. They have been balling out. Hopefully it will keep up. The starting pitching has been an unmitigated disaster, and the injuries to players has not helped either. Overall, AA has put an incredibly deep team together. They just don't quit playing either.  Fun team to watch.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:46 PM, K26dp said:

2. Ricardo Sanchez. We acquired him when he was 17YO in exchange for spare part Kyle Kubitza. He's still young, but with another organization. 

I saw last night that Sanchez made his major league debut last night and threw 2 scoreless for the Cardinals! Always liked that kid, hope he makes it. Still only 23.

On 8/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, AUTiger7222 said:

Yeah, was talking to someone last night who was talking about how great Roger McDowell was and how the young arms seemed to develop just fine under him and all I could keep thinking about was all the injuries the Braves had when he was here. What good is developing great pitchers if they all get hurt after only a couple years and never recover from it?

That’s why you need Leo Mazzone. Only 3 Tommy Johns in 18 years and he developed Smoltz and Glavine. These pitching coaches we’ve had since are clowns.