2020 MLB Season Thread

1 hour ago, jidady said:

I said it at the time, I reiterate. MLB was *INSANE* to skip the bubble concept and try to hold a season at home stadiums. It raises the level of risk by several exponents.

Meanwhile, the NBA still hasn't had a single positive test from inside its bubble, which has existed longer. That streak won't last, but it tells the whole story.

MLB bounced around the bubble idea for Arizona. Players didnt want it.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The circumstances suck but given how they acted in the playoffs last year.......they can suck it.

When I first heard about the runner on second rule I absolutely hated it but now that I've seen it in action for a number of games I actually like it. It adds instant drama and excitement to the game.

The Indians beat the Royals 10-1. The Braves beat the Red Sox 10-3. The Tigers beat the Brewers 12-1. The Cardinals beat the Reds 16-2. The Giants are beating the Rockies 23-4.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Theres a report that the Marlins believe they got infected traveling through Atlanta. 

Very likely. The virus can incubate for up to 5 days before showing on a positive test.

49 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

MLB bounced around the bubble idea for Arizona. Players didnt want it.

To be fair, it was an early proposal that players didn't like because it wasn't fleshed out. MLB said they would do it, but almost the entire onus fell on the players. Then, Arizona suffered multiple outbreaks and wasn't a safe place to have it.

Virtually everything the owners have done here is money-driven. They were still holding out hope that fans could attend games, which recent events demonstrate was an absurd thought process. Some still clung to this belief in mid-July.

22 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Very likely. The virus can incubate for up to 5 days before showing on a positive test.

FWIW, it's certainly possible, but I don't think it's likely. Florida's ground zero for the virus. There's an Occam's Razor aspect to the team having it before heading to Atlanta. However, by saying it didn't happen at home, they escape accountability and place the onus elsewhere. If they got it in Atlanta, the Braves should have it that badly, too, at least theoretically. I guess the Marlins could argue it happened at the airport, but even that seems like a stretch.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

FWIW, it's certainly possible, but I don't think it's likely. Florida's ground zero for the virus. There's an Occam's Razor aspect to the team having it before heading to Atlanta. However, by saying it didn't happen at home, they escape accountability and place the onus elsewhere. If they got it in Atlanta, the Braves should have it that badly, too, at least theoretically. I guess the Marlins could argue it happened at the airport, but even that seems like a stretch.

Supposedly they had to wait on the tarmac at Atlanta for their flight crew to be changed out because one of the attendants tested positive.  They were told later it was a false positive.

How close are we to getting quick results tests?  30 min - 1 hr?  Kind of like the flu test that doctors have. 

Phillies have had 0 test positive after their date with the Marlins. One clubhouse attendant was positive. 

Marlins had 4 more test positive. They are a giant mess right now. One that could force Manfred to pause or cancel the season. It's now 50% of their MLB roster with 15 positive players. 

MLB did cancel the Phillies/Yankees game again tonight just to allow one more day of fumigation. 

55 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

According to Ken Rosenthal the Nats have voted to refuse their road trip to Miami. MLB will have to resolve it.

Marlins players decide to play on Sunday. Phillies players decide they should have another round of tests. Nats players decide they aren't going on a road trip.

This thing is a train wreck.

Updated reporting says Nats arent demanding the trip be canceled. They are asking MLB to just have the Marlins bus over from Baltimore for the series. The report says the Nats will fly to Miami if MLB doesnt go along. What's happened to the Marlins has put everyone on edge.

I think we can extend it to say that the outbreak has put everyone in sports on edge. Over the last 36 hours, the NFL has had several players announce they won't play.

The NBA players feel safe in the bubble, but they sounded extremely apprehensive in interviews yesterday.

MLB has submitted approval for a reworked schedule. They're considering benching the Phillies for a bit, the Marlins even longer. Yankees would just go to Baltimore to replace the Marlins instead of playing Philly. With the unions approval they do intend to play some makeup games or doubleheaders. MLB will also take winning percentage as the difference if certain teams cant hit the 60 game mark.

6 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Phillies have had 0 test positive after their date with the Marlins. One clubhouse attendant was positive. 

Marlins had 4 more test positive. They are a giant mess right now. One that could force Manfred to pause or cancel the season. It's now 50% of their MLB roster with 15 positive players. 

MLB did cancel the Phillies/Yankees game again tonight just to allow one more day of fumigation. 

The Phillies having 0 positive tests is extremely good news moving forward. In fact, according to what I just read the Marlins are the only team that has positive cases among their traveling party in over 6400 people tested since last Friday. That's extremely good news. That means that those teams are doing what is necessary to keep from getting the virus. That pretty much proves that the Marlins weren't following protocols and got the virus as a result and that when you do follow protocols you don't get the virus. That's extremely good news for the continuation of the MLB season moving forward and is good news for other sports.

23 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The Phillies having 0 positive tests is extremely good news moving forward. In fact, according to what I just read the Marlins are the only team that has positive cases among their traveling party in over 6400 people tested since last Friday. That's extremely good news. That means that those teams are doing what is necessary to keep from getting the virus. That pretty much proves that the Marlins weren't following protocols and got the virus as a result and that when you do follow protocols you don't get the virus. That's extremely good news for the continuation of the MLB season moving forward and is good news for other sports.

Yes, MLB said the only positive tests have been from Miami. Everyone else is good. 

MLB agreed to pay Yanks, Phillies and Nationals players for games missed due to Miami. The orginal agreement stated that any pause or cancellation would limit payment to number of games played. MLB determined this situation to be unique and no fault of their own.