Tommy Nobis & Dan Reeves are Hall of Fame finalists

Sergeant

38 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

About time for Nobis!!!  I don't really care either way about Reeves --- although, he DID take us to a Super Bowl as a coach, and had a pretty good NFL career...  

I never had the honor of watching Nobis, but from everything I’ve read Mr. Falcon is absolutely deserving of this recognition. About time indeed!

4 hours ago, FalconJim said:

About time for Nobis!!!  I don't really care either way about Reeves --- although, he DID take us to a Super Bowl as a coach, and had a pretty good NFL career...  

Reeves is one of or probably the best NFL HC in history who has never won a SB.

Him, Schottenheimer, and Levy are some of the best HCs who are on the most unfortunate side of history.

......Andy Reid is starting to add to that list.

12 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

It's a crime Nobis wasn't first or second ballot. If he had played in Chicago or NY he would have been in the second he was eligible, even if he only had 80% of the career he had here.

Are there any other big name old Falcons who would have been in already if they played for another team? I didn’t begin following football until 2007 so I don’t know a whole lot of old names. 

24 minutes ago, Trick Montalban said:

Are there any other big name old Falcons who would have been in already if they played for another team? I didn’t begin following football until 2007 so I don’t know a whole lot of old names. 

Mike Kenn 

Would be considered one if the top 5 tackles of all time if he played in Dallas

27 minutes ago, Trick Montalban said:

Nobis and Jeff Van Note are the two most egregious omissions. If they had played in a larger media market both would have been first ballot. There are some other fringe guys

46 minutes ago, Trick Montalban said:

The Hall might consider his career too short, but Bill Fralic was one of , if not the best guard of his generation.  The started using the phrase 'pancake block' watching what he did the DL.    I always thought he deserved HoF consideration.    

Did you know,in the time he played,the AF had a winning record against the Chicago Bears and **** Butkus?Once again,proving bias against the Falcons by the media.DB himself said more than once,that Nobis was one of the best MLBs ever!Next,they should put in Jessie"hammer"Tuggle,who retired with 3 NFL records.How many HOFers can claim that?

Edited by falconfan5832

27 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

It’s my understanding that 10 of these 20 seniors will make it, so it’s a 50:50 chance.

"The Pro Football Hall of fame recently announced that it could induct up to 20 new members in 2020 as part of the celebration of the NFL’s 100th anniversary. The class may include up to five modern era players, ten senior nominees, three contributors, and two coaches. The decision finally makes the Hall of Fame obtainable for many senior candidates who have been waiting decades to hear their names called for enshrinement."

So with potentially half that list of senior players potentially getting in, I agree that this is probably the best chance Nobis has had thus far at finally getting the credit he deserves.

I think with just 2 of the coaches getting in, I think Reeves may have a hard time getting in. He has more wins than anyone else on the list, but that's only because he coached for so long... 6 years or more longer than everyone else on the list. That's about the only thing working in his favor.

Holmgren had a much higher RS winning %, about the same post-season winning % & won a SB.
Cowher had a waaaaay higher RS winning %, a higher post-season winning % & won a SB.
Vermeil had a slightly lower RS winning %, about the same post-season winning % & won a SB.
Flores had a slightly lower RS winning %, a massively higher post-season winning % & won 2 SBs.
Coryell had a higher RS winning %, a lower post-season winning % but never won a SB.
Johnson had a higher RS winning %, a much higher post-season winning % & won a 2 SBs.
Parker had a higher RS winning %, a much higher post-season winning % but never won a SB.

Really the only coach I see Reeves being a no-brainer over is Coryell.