OJ Howard - - What would it take to get him?

FAN_O_THE_ATL

What would it take for us to get OJ Howard?  Clearly he's not living up to expectations in Tampa but that guy had so much talent coming out of Bama.  I know there were rumors of him being shopped at the trade deadline this year but I'm sure the asking price was high.  Would love to see him paired with Hooper if we can re-sign him or as a potential high-upside replacement to Hooper.  I think Howard has one more year on his rookie deal plus the fifth year option.  I'd be looking into whether a 4th or 5th round pick could land us Howard.  Thoughts?

I really don't see the point with a pro bowl calibre TE and a promising young guy on the roster. If we make.a bit move we should sign a top IOLmen and stop going through the bargain bin for OG. I would rather draft a OC/G in the first 2 rounds but if you throw money at Oline make it count.

I would really like to bring in another OL coach

I'm sick and tired of how EVERY SINGLE OFF-SEASON, people can't wait to jettison our talented players because: tEh s@LaR3e c@P

All types of histrionics begin. They start devaluing guys, minimizing their contributions. Trying to convince themselves that any ol regular guy could come in and seamlessly replace our top names. 

All of the hand wringing and pocket watching... aren't you all exhausted yet?!

14 hours ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

No offense to the OP, but until Ryan has a line that can consistently give him time, I don't think we need more pass catchers.

The meme in Tampa when Howard was drafted was 'weapons for Winston', at a time when he already had weapons enough.  But 'weapons for Winston' became reality, the OL and DB corps was largely ignored, and the continued to Bucs flounder.  The takeaway - there are more and better ways to help your QB than loading up at offensive skill positions.

15 hours ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

No offense to the OP, but until Ryan has a line that can consistently give him time, I don't think we need more pass catchers.

Agreed.  We need to run the ball better and we need to provide a pocket.  Until that happens, the offense will struggle 

36 minutes ago, JOEinPHX said:

The meme in Tampa when Howard was drafted was 'weapons for Winston', at a time when he already had weapons enough.  But 'weapons for Winston' became reality, the OL and DB corps was largely ignored, and the continued to Bucs flounder.  The takeaway - there are more and better ways to help your QB than loading up at offensive skill positions.

16 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Agreed.  We need to run the ball better and we need to provide a pocket.  Until that happens, the offense will struggle 

I just always see ppl say Ryan only puts up the numbers he has b/c he has so many weapons. Yet I see ppl always advocating for more skill players. We are good at the skill positions for a min. Julio was extended, and Ridley on a rookie deal. We will keep Hoop somehow, and the WR at 3 and 4 look serviceable. Can't say the same across the o-line/d-line/lb/secondary. Trenches need more tending to.

1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

I think people are a little overly optimistc that we will resign Hoop. There are a lot of teams out there that can offer him crazy money. Nothing wrong with looking at other options just in case.

Yep -- options -- that was my thought.  I'm not suggesting that I'd prefer Howard over Hooper because I'm a big fan of Hooper.  I'm simply suggesting that this could be a good time for a 'buy low' on a high upside TE in Howard who I think would count about $3.5M in cap next year.  That's about the same as Luke Stocker who is not good.  If we can re-sign Hooper (likely @ $10-12M per) then great, I'll take Hooper, Howard, Graham over Hooper, Stocker, Graham everyday.  If we can't re-sign Hooper then we 'd at least have Howard and Graham as primary options.

Also, if I understand 5th year options correctly, players drafted with picks 11-32 get the avg of the highest 3rd-25th salaries at their position vs players drafted in the top 10 (like Vic Beasley) who get the avg of the highest top 10 salaries at their position.  In Howard's case his option would probably be closer to $6M.

6 hours ago, Geneaut said:

I think people are a little overly optimistc that we will resign Hoop. There are a lot of teams out there that can offer him crazy money. Nothing wrong with looking at other options just in case.

The benefit the Falcons have is:

1. they get to negotiate With him prior to anyone else

2. they can franchise him If needed

3. he wants to re-sign here

9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

That’s something I didn’t think about. OTC projects the franchise tag to hit $11 million for TE’s. I can’t think of anyone else worth franchising this year. That $11 million is the cheapest of all positions except ST.

35 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Trust me I want to keep Hoop. I'm just concerned about $$$ rearing it's head and the FO doing something silly. I think we can clear plenty of cap if we need to, and we should be able to create a contract that suits him and us, but you never know. 8 weeks ago I wouldn't have guessed Quinn and TD were going to both be employed today.

With a lot of coach speak about needing vets that are leaders and disappointment of some not stepping up, I am expecting a bit of a purge of some vets. 

So IMO cap space will be opening up, but the team will still have to be frugal in their spending with a lot of holes to fill.

the nice thing is the cap for TE is like 10.5M or something. That is good for 2 reasons. 1. The cap hit is manageable. 2. If it’s the average of the top 3 or 5 TE salaries, he may be much more manageable to resign than we first through. May be able to do a 5/55 or something and have a Cap friendly 2-3 years on the front end.

20 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

4. We can draft his replacement for a lot less money.

i like Hooper but we don’t NEED him in order to have success. I’ll be happy if we re-sign him because I like him but if we all wanna talk ab making the hard business decision rather than making everyone falcons for life it’s time to put our money where our mouth is. Just to reiterate cuz I know others will read this and have a hard time comprehending, this is a BUSINESS decision. 

34 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

4. We can draft his replacement for a lot less money.

i like Hooper but we don’t NEED him in order to have success. I’ll be happy if we re-sign him because I like him but if we all wanna talk ab making the hard business decision rather than making everyone falcons for life it’s time to put our money where our mouth is. Just to reiterate cuz I know others will read this and have a hard time comprehending, this is a BUSINESS decision. 

Aside from a QB you can generally say the same thing about every position. (That you don’t NEED it to succeed).

we could replace basically all but 3-4 of the players on this roster w/ our round 1 pick, just as you say we can do w Hooper. But I understand he isn’t under contract and they are.