For the 2nd year in a row, Dan Quinn felt the team missed the mark in the run game

Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 10:08 AM

•  
  •  
  •  

Dan Quinn: Falcons ‘missed the mark’ in run game in 2019

ATLANTA – Falcons coach Dan Quinn will use the offseason to evaluate every aspect of the 2019 season.

At the top of the list of areas he wants improvement in is Atlanta’s run game. For the second straight year, the Falcons have finished at the bottom of the league in rushing offense.

In 2018 the Falcons had the 27th-ranked rushing attack, averaging 98.3 yards per game. In 2019, the Falcons finished the year with the 30th-ranked rushing offense, averaging 85.1 yards per game.

“We did not hit the mark we were hoping to accomplish in that spot, but at the end of it, that's one of the things, when we say tweak it and work it to go, that identity, it has to come through,” Quinn said during his season-ending press conference. “The fact that it didn't, I'm not happy about that, but I also know that it is going to be addressed as we're moving forward.”

Quinn cited the low number of rushing attempts in the first half of the season played a role in the Falcons’ inability to run the ball efficiently.

The Falcons want a balanced offense that starts with success in the run game to help set up Atlanta’s high-octane passing attack.

“We've got to have better balance, and that has to come through in the way that we do that,” Quinn said. “What you're looking for in the run game, it's not just the total number, the number of attempts or anything, it's the efficiency at which you can do it. We are not backing off of it.”

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the Falcons will continue to “re-build” the offensive line. Four of the Falcons’ five starting offensive linemen are under contract for the upcoming season: Alex MackJake MatthewsKaleb McGary and Chris Lindstrom.

Wes Schweitzer started the last few games of the Falcons’ season at left guard and is set to become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins on March 18th.

Running back Devonta Freeman is also under contract for the upcoming season but the Falcons could add competition at the position. Freeman finished the year with 656 yards on 184 carries and two touchdowns.

Quinn and Dimitroff didn’t want to address the future of Freeman or any players at this point but did mention they have some tough decisions to make moving forward regarding their personnel.

“But I would say we're really proud of the work that he [Freeman] put back in,” Freeman said. “He did an exceptional job. His energy, his attitude, his fight, it was always on point. But as the life of a competitor, we've got tough decisions ahead. So, way too early for us to put in too many spots.”

Offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter will return for a second season and Quinn believes under his leadership the Falcons will be able to get this part of their offense where it needs to be.

“I think we'll be deeper and more balanced as we get into '20. That's a big part of our offseason for sure,” Quinn said.

Edited by Cole World
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This, all of this, is exactly why I've said McGary was balling but was left out to dry by Koetter. He's a very good RT, but he is best when run blocking. When given several snaps to get a rhythm in ru

What bugs me most about all of this is .....they knew this was an issue last season.  Failed to proactively address and continued it the majority of this season.  On top of this, we have DQ anointing

We won’t be any better next year. 

10 minutes ago, Cole World said:

This, all of this, is exactly why I've said McGary was balling but was left out to dry by Koetter. He's a very good RT, but he is best when run blocking. When given several snaps to get a rhythm in run blocking, he finds a confidence that makes him tough to beat. When he's constantly defending the pass, it highlights his weakness and puts a massive damper on his strengths. Koetter's scheme is built for two LT's, prioritizing pass blocking. He needs to become much more balanced and put the game in his OL's hands moving forward. 

What bugs me most about all of this is .....they knew this was an issue last season.  Failed to proactively address and continued it the majority of this season.  On top of this, we have DQ anointing DK as “his OC”.....all the while knowing we have scheme/talent issues that must be addressed and I would venture to say it may be more schematic than talent related.   So......when are these geniuses doing to address this elephant that’s sitting in the middle of the branch staring at them??   How stupid do they blv their fan base to be???? This group either 1. Can’t evaluate talent, 2.refused to address the issue last year after saying exact same thing or 3. They’re too committed to each other personally to call it what it is and make real change.  How could DQ after last season possibly have hired DK and not have firmly established his expectations re offensive balance???? Furthermore, once he saw the way this season was going, how could he not have revisited the issue w DK???  Now we’re “making some concerted effort to change things up yet everything is staying sane according to the other side of their collective mouths”.  I’m sorry but what they’ve done last 2 years is really inexcusable!

14 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

What bugs me most about all of this is .....they knew this was an issue last season.  Failed to proactively address and continued it the majority of this season.  On top of this, we have DQ anointing DK as “his OC”.....all the while knowing we have scheme/talent issues that must be addressed and I would venture to say it may be more schematic than talent related.   So......when are these geniuses doing to address this elephant that’s sitting in the middle of the branch staring at them??   How stupid do they blv their fan base to be???? This group either 1. Can’t evaluate talent, 2.refused to address the issue last year after saying exact same thing or 3. They’re too committed to each other personally to call it what it is and make real change.  How could DQ after last season possibly have hired DK and not have firmly established his expectations re offensive balance???? Furthermore, once he saw the way this season was going, how could he not have revisited the issue w DK???  Now we’re “making some concerted effort to change things up yet everything is staying sane according to the other side of their collective mouths”.  I’m sorry but what they’ve done last 2 years is really inexcusable!

Do you think it’s possible that Arthur loves DK and that Quinn HAS to keep him? You know how Artie loves to meddle. Just a thought. 

6 minutes ago, Skott Lee said:

Do you think it’s possible that Arthur loves DK and that Quinn HAS to keep him? You know how Artie loves to meddle. Just a thought. 

Oh I’ve wondered that many times.  I’ve also wondered if McKay was involved in convincing AB that DK needed to stay....I’ve thought many things but mainly that I don’t see ius getting significantly better w DK.  Hope I’m wrong....

1 hour ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

Oh I’ve wondered that many times.  I’ve also wondered if McKay was involved in convincing AB that DK needed to stay....I’ve thought many things but mainly that I don’t see ius getting significantly better w DK.  Hope I’m wrong....

My only hope is that Matt usually does better in his second year with a coordinator, although he had his best year with Kutter in his first year with him in 2012. 

6 hours ago, Skott Lee said:

Could be possible. Just seems a little to coincidental for him to be who.Quinn.REALLY wants. You want a stubborn Air.Coryell guy to run Shans playbook? Sounds legit.

Of.course DQ is the guy that brought his buddy (Morgan) from.Seattle to coach our OL, after he put together one of the worst units in the past decade in.Seattle. Who knows wtf any of these ******** are thinking anymore. If it were MY team, I'd be meddling hardcore at this point. I'd for sure be forcing DQ to bring in Callahan to coach the OL. Id give Koetter 2 games and after that I'm promoting Greg Knapp to interim OC. At least he understands the WCO,and has put together REALLY good running games.

6 hours ago, Skott Lee said:

We won’t be any better next year. 

I fear this to be true.

The most creative play of the year came in week 16 with that Ty Sambrailo TD.How many wide open TDs have you seen Koetter call this year.

i just throw my hands up in the year with Koetter and just go whatever man.I don’t even care that he comes good he’s still horse manure in my eyes.That isn’t changing.

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I fear this to be true.

The most creative play of the year came in week 16 with that Ty Sambrailo TD.How many wide open TDs have you seen Koetter call this year.

i just throw my hands up in the year with Koetter and just go whatever man.I don’t even care that he comes good he’s still horse manure in my eyes.That isn’t changing.

They should let Gregg Knapp call the first and second downs and see what happens. No joke.